Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Manolis

Wow -- this sounds even stupider than the Anouk episode.  But first I had to look up who Manolis even was. It's Hector's father, I guess.   What does Manolis convincing Aisha to forgive Harry have anything to do with getting the charges dropped by nutjob Rosie ?

Who cares if Manolis has a dying friend -- unless that dying friend saw 'The Slap', it's all just filler ?  And didn't we just do this last episode with Anouk's dying mother ?

• Love 3

Aw, man.  I've had a couple of elderly relatives pass away in recent years so I'll admit the visit to Demetrious (sp?) got me in the feels.  Plot relevant, no, but I could appreciate it.

I don't like Harry, but I'll admit I was Team Scuzzbag Lawyer when it came to going on the offensive against Rosie and her useless shmuck husband.

• Love 5

Much as I hate Gary and Rosie, I'm really disgusted by Harry's behavior.  I didn't think Aisha was lying but the last shot of Sandi just confirmed it.  Hardly surprising that Harry appreciated the sleazy lawyer Thanassis.  Poor Manolis really doesn't get it.  He emphasizes family over everything else, but he's ignorant to what's really going on with his children.

Still, Gary and Rosie win for shit parents of the year.  Hard to say who is worse; Rosie and her overbearing behavior and overreaction to any negative thing about her son, or Gary, who ignores Hugo entirely even though he's finally starting to see Hugo's emotional problems.  I think I'm leaning towards Gary being worse, because he's not blind to what's going on, but just doesn't want to deal with it.  He locks himself in a room with his paintings and lets Rosie deal with the problem.  Great parenting, right?  If Thanassis puts a social worker or child psychiatrist on the stand, they're gonna tear Hugo to shreds.  

Still don't care about Hector and his wannabe girlfriend on the side.  It's just boring.  The stuff with Manolis wasn't much better.  

• Love 3

Another well-acted, poignant episode. It might grate on people's nerves, but I'm enjoying these little-slice-of-life episodes. I do want to get back to the central plot at some point, but I still like the show.

Mano hooking up Harry with the sleazeball lawyer was good. I...kind of side with him. When it comes to stuff like this, you have to be ruthless. It reminds of a joke Chris Rock made about Kobe Bryant. He said people were saying he would look guilty if he got Johnny Cochran to represent him. Chris said, "yeah, but you get to go home."

It's hard to know what to think about Harry. He's not a good man, but...he doesn't deserve to go to jail. The thing with Sandi is stupid. For one thing, I think they're piling on with the abuse stuff. of course he's a bastard for ever hitting her, but if Sandi stayed them she made her choice. And I totally get Aisha's disposition towards Harry, but you don't know what Harry has said or done to make amends for that mistake. It was seven years ago. So I wouldn't totally look at it as him getting away with highway robbery.

But yeah, Harry's a real piece of work. Lying to Manolis like that.

Rosie and Gary need help. Gary needs to get some balls and start being a dad. At this point Hugo has a mommy and a nanny. That's why he's so unstable. And I don't mean rambunctious...he's going to wind up, well, like Harry.

• Love 6

I liked it.  Yeah, it needs to veer back toward the central plot line, but I did like it nonetheless.  I'm older than all the central characters, have lost a parent (to COPD-which looked like what was happening with Manolis's friend), and I thought the acting was great.

How many episodes is this again?  I wonder, because I thought it was touted as more of a mini-series, but at the rate they're going, how are they going to cram everything pertinent to the main story so quickly when they just seem to be meandering along.

• Love 1
How many episodes is this again?  I wonder, because I thought it was touted as more of a mini-series, but at the rate they're going, how are they going to cram everything pertinent to the main story so quickly when they just seem to be meandering along.

It's only 8 episodes -- which means that it is already half over, and there is so little actual story here that they have to fill the episodes (like the last two) with meaningless filler unrelated to the main plot.

I'm enjoying these little-slice-of-life episodes.

Me, too, it's a nice change from CSI's and bad sit-coms. 

Still I think they muddied the plot a little last night making Harry a wife-beater as well as a child-slapper.  I thought it was more interesting as a, "look what one unguarded moment can cause," sort of thing.

• Love 10
Still I think they muddied the plot a little last night making Harry a wife-beater as well as a child-slapper.  I thought it was more interesting as a, "look what one unguarded moment can cause," sort of thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the trial they have dug up information that Harry also was involved in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, Jimmy Hoffa's murder, and D. B. Cooper's disappearance, but he also slapped Rosie's brat so he needs to die in a fire. </snark>

• Love 7

I liked this episode too, mainly because Brian Cox, the first Dr. Hannibal Lecter, is one of my favorite actors.

What 5 year old announces his own bedtime? And when Rosie said "we'll go to bed together" I just knew they have one of those "family bed" arrangements. That may be fine for some people, but combined with the other crappy parenting decisions (one of which will surely be Rosie homeschooling Hugo) that kid is going to need some serious therapy.

• Love 5

Well, I enjoyed this episode because of Brian Cox and the fact that he can rise above the material. I'm kinda getting into the story and "hate watching" it, which is always fun. I really want to bitch slap that little kid myself. Any mother who breast feeds her kid who has a full set of teeth (or any teeth for that matter) needs to be reported to child welfare. That family is worthless.....come on guys just look at this as a waste of wonderful talent and enjoy it. Snort! 

• Love 1

Ha, I also noticed the Pixies.  But I was kind of mad because I don't want to associate them with douchebag Gary!

It's hard to know what to think about Harry. He's not a good man, but...he doesn't deserve to go to jail. The thing with Sandi is stupid. For one thing, I think they're piling on with the abuse stuff. of course he's a bastard for ever hitting her, but if Sandi stayed them she made her choice. And I totally get Aisha's disposition towards Harry, but you don't know what Harry has said or done to make amends for that mistake. It was seven years ago. So I wouldn't totally look at it as him getting away with highway robbery.

I thought Aisha's position made sense since she framed it as what she could live with.  Like, she's not going to personally go on a crusade against Harry, but she's not going to help him out of another situation of his own making.  I think that's a fairly understandable position, honestly.  And to me, Aisha's guilt over Sandi is the only thing that makes her pro-Rosie stance defensible.  I still want to go "Why are you FRIENDS with this person?"

On a related note, is anyone else starting to find the "This is going to TEAR US ALL APART!!" lamentations sort of unintentionally hilarious?  It's true on some level, but let's be real, the actual problem is that there are a lot of assholes in this cast.

• Love 3

I'm still liking it too.  Seems like the slap was just the impetus for these people to examine their relationships. 

This episode raised an interesting question: Most of us understood Harry slapping Hugo -- the kid was out of control -- but now that we know he also hits his wife, does that make the slap less understandable, Harry an evil bastard?  We go from Harry doing what he needed to do to Harry doing what he always does -- losing his temper and getting physical.  So does knowing Harry's history make slapping Hugo a bad act? 

As a fellow old person, I felt for Manolis.  It's good to feel needed, listened to. 

• Love 5

As a fellow old person I just want to hold Connie down and brush her hair.

After the first episode, I thought  Manolis and wife were insufferably overbearing, but now we see she just brings too much food because it's all she feels she can contribute and he just thinks it's his job to fix everything. I like them now.

I don't see why Aisha had to choose a side at all.  She should have just told both sides that because she loved  her family and Rosie, she had to stay neutral.

combined with the other crappy parenting decisions (one of which will surely be Rosie homeschooling Hugo) that kid is going to need some serious therapy.

Rosie may already have started homeschooling.  Banging Truck Against Wall, may have been Hugo's version of Reading Readiness Alphabet class.

]

• Love 4

Any mother who breast feeds her kid who has a full set of teeth (or any teeth for that matter) needs to be reported to child welfare.

There are many things wrong with this show and with Rosie and Gary as parents, but this comment is way off base. Sixth month old babies have teeth. Many very normal, well-adjusted women nurse normal, well-adjusted children who have plenty of teeth. Yes, 5 is unusual. But your blanket statement is really uninformed.

Having just watched the most recent episode of Girls, featuring Zachary Quinto, I'm convinced he is magic. He rises above even the worst material. And even when he's an abusive d-bag, somehow makes his character the most interesting one.

• Love 5
On a related note, is anyone else starting to find the "This is going to TEAR US ALL APART!!" lamentations sort of unintentionally hilarious?  It's true on some level, but let's be real, the actual problem is that there are a lot of assholes in this cast.

It's almost as stupid as Manolis' mission to 'save the family' all for the sake of the trip to Greece.  Trying to bribe Aisha by telling her he was upgrading everyone to Premium was not subtle.  Come on, after all is said and done, they're never going to Greece.

I was creeped out by Thanassis telling Manolis that he was banging his smoking hot assistant, and that Manolis needed to get laid and should do the same in some sort of bizarre 'seize the day' type attitude -- even though he knew that Manolis was already married.  And then when Manolis proceeded to encounter Harry's sexy employee, Connie and Aisha, I was glad that Manolis did not follow his recommendation and make a move on any of them.  That would have been uber creepy.

• Love 1

Sandi staying with Harry isn't that black and white, though.  People can be abused numerous times by a spouse before they go to the police or the authorities, and we don't know the reasons why Sandi is staying with him.  It could be fear, the desire to keep her son in an affluent lifestyle, a need to keep her family together, or all of the above.  Or none of the above.  But given that we've seen Harry grab Sandi in a moment of anger, the slap itself, and now this incidence, it's clear that Harry's issues with anger need to be addressed immediately.  And no lawyer would ignore those incidences in lawsuit like this.  Personally, I don't think prison time will solve that, if anything, it's just going to feed into his rage.  But he needs counseling to deal with his anger.  I don't think Harry is evil, but he doesn't see what he's doing as wrong, rather, he sees himself as taking charge and looking after his family.  But really, that doesn't excuse his behavior.  Sandi is his wife, not his outlet for his personal aggressions.  

For that reason, I completely understand why Aisha stood her ground with Manolis.  I don't think it's so much for Rosie's sake, but the fact that this is the second time Harry has hit someone and Aisha has to speak up.  

Any mother who breast feeds her kid who has a full set of teeth (or any teeth for that matter) needs to be reported to child welfare.

I have read about mothers who breastfeed after the age of two (I think that's when most women stop doing it) because of health issues; their child has numerous food allergies and breastmilk is one of the few things their digestive system can handle, or jaw issues, etc.  And some do it just for closeness.  It's not my bag, but I don't really have an issue with Rosie breastfeeding Hugo; it's the reason why she does it.  She and Gary seem to think "discipline" is a dirty word and that nursing Hugo will solve the problem at hand, and it doesn't, because Hugo still doesn't understand that what he did was wrong.  If anything, they're reinforcing the idea that he'll be rewarded for misbehaving with comfort and food.  Hugo doesn't understand the ramifications of this, but he's a child, he's not supposed to.  Children can't learn from their mistakes unless their parents educate them and punish them if necessary.  And discipline doesn't mean slapping or bringing out the belt, for some kids, it's a simple time out, or no iPod for a week, or whatever.  Otherwise, they'll keep doing the same thing over and over again, because there's no negative consequence involved.  What would Rosie have done if Hugo slugged one of those kids with the bat?  That wasn't a whiffle bat, it was the real thing.  Rosie and Gary would be the accused this time.  I'm curious to see what we learn from Rosie's pov next week.

Thanassis was right about one thing; Rosie and Gary aren't playing nice with this trial and they'll try to screw Harry to the wall, so from a legal standpoint, it makes sense for Harry to bring out the big guns with a sleazy-but-effective lawyer.  Hector's too dense to understand that.

• Love 6
I thought Aisha's position made sense since she framed it as what she could live with.  Like, she's not going to personally go on a crusade against Harry, but she's not going to help him out of another situation of his own making.  I think that's a fairly understandable position, honestly.  And to me, Aisha's guilt over Sandi is the only thing that makes her pro-Rosie stance defensible.  I still want to go "Why are you FRIENDS with this person?"

Yeah, that makes sense. But this situation and Harry abusing his wife and mother of his child is different, IMHO. Harry's still got a temper, and a violent streak at that, but it wasn't Harry just being a big bully again.

Sandi staying with Harry isn't that black and white, though.  People can be abused numerous times by a spouse before they go to the police or the authorities, and we don't know the reasons why Sandi is staying with him.  It could be fear, the desire to keep her son in an affluent lifestyle, a need to keep her family together, or all of the above.  Or none of the above.  But given that we've seen Harry grab Sandi in a moment of anger, the slap itself, and now this incidence, it's clear that Harry's issues with anger need to be addressed immediately.  And no lawyer would ignore those incidences in lawsuit like this.  Personally, I don't think prison time will solve that, if anything, it's just going to feed into his rage.  But he needs counseling to deal with his anger.  I don't think Harry is evil, but he doesn't see what he's doing as wrong, rather, he sees himself as taking charge and looking after his family.  But really, that doesn't excuse his behavior.  Sandi is his wife, not his outlet for his personal aggressions.

For that reason, I completely understand why Aisha stood her ground with Manolis.  I don't think it's so much for Rosie's sake, but the fact that this is the second time Harry has hit someone and Aisha has to speak up.

I mostly agree with you, but that's kind of why I said what I did. Aisha sees Harry as having "gotten away with" hitting Sandi, and thus, she wants to see him held accountable for slapping Hugo. But given that Sandi stayed with Harry, my thing is, it's a choice she made. He didn't "get away with it" because she didn't press charges and/or leave. Aisha doesn't know if he made amends with her or not. Him slapping Hugo is bad, too, but the situation isn't the same as him hitting Sandi (without knowing the circumstances behind it). Hugo was being a brat and swinging a bat and was close to hitting another child, and then when Harry stepped in, Hugo kicked him. That's...not the same thing, and I don't say that as a favor to Harry but just as a matter of context. Had Hugo belted one of their kids with that bat, you would've wanted to smack the kid too, or worse. So it's like, I get her not being a fan of Harry, but this situation isn't the same thing.

And, I mean, Harry's Aisha's brother-in-law. I don't believe in protecting family no matter what they do, because that's bullshit, but Gary and Rosie don't deserve more than they've gotten, which is an apology and any expenses they're out for Hugo. They don't believe in disciplining their kid, and get hysterical at the mere mention of doing so. I'd be more worried about Hugo "getting away with it" than Harry.

• Love 2

Do we actually know what happened between Harry and Sandi? Don't get me wrong, I think he hit her, but did Sandi say that to Aisha and Hector? I couldn't tell from Aisha's story if Sandi told them Harry hit her or if Sandi showed up upset with a cut and said she had a fight with Harry and they filled in the blanks.

Has anyone else noticed that Rosie either has Hugo on her lap or she's ignoring him entirely? Also Gary is always either drinking or looking like he's struggling to stay awake. Not a happy household, that one.

• Love 1
Aisha sees Harry as having "gotten away with" hitting Sandi, and thus, she wants to see him held accountable for slapping Hugo. But given that Sandi stayed with Harry, my thing is, it's a choice she made. He didn't "get away with it" because she didn't press charges and/or leave. Aisha doesn't know if he made amends with her or not.

But that goes back to what I said: we don't know why Sandi has chosen to stay with him, or even the reasoning why he hit her.  But if Sandi is staying out of fear for her life and her son's, then I would see that as Harry getting away with it because Sandi isn't willingly choosing to stay.  We already know that Harry prides himself on being an alpha male and the protector of his family, and Sandi seems fairly meek and unassuming, and not just in comparison to her husband.  I'm curious to know what's really going on in her head, but I don't think we're getting a Sandi-based episode.  Still, we might find out.

Sure, there's a chance that Harry apologized to Sandi afterwards and she just let it go, and feels Aisha should do the same.  But after seeing Harry grab her last week, the way he kicked the chair back at Rosie & Gary's house when he visited, it doesn't seem likely.  Even Thanassis mentioned he could spot Harry's temper only moments after they met.  It doesn't take much for Harry to become aggressive.  If it's proven that Harry has a history of violent behavior, then the reason he slapped Hugo won't matter to a judge.  They'll just see it as another violent outburst from Harry, this time, directed at a child.

Him slapping Hugo is bad, too, but the situation isn't the same as him hitting Sandi (without knowing the circumstances behind it). Hugo was being a brat and swinging a bat and was close to hitting another child, and then when Harry stepped in, Hugo kicked him. That's...not the same thing, and I don't say that as a favor to Harry but just as a matter of context. Had Hugo belted one of their kids with that bat, you would've wanted to smack the kid too, or worse. So it's like, I get her not being a fan of Harry, but this situation isn't the same thing.

I absolutely agree that context is important, especially when you factor in what we know about Hugo and his lack of parental guidance, but it's hard to stress the importance of it if someone proves that Harry has hit his wife.  Because then the slap isn't an isolated incident, it's indicative of a pattern.  

Gary and Rosie don't deserve more than they've gotten, which is an apology and any expenses they're out for Hugo. They don't believe in disciplining their kid, and get hysterical at the mere mention of doing so. I'd be more worried about Hugo "getting away with it" than Harry.

ITA.  I think Gary and Rosie's "parenting" is far more damaging in the long term than Harry slapping Hugo.  I'm dying to know what Rosie's intentions are, but we're not getting her episode for another few weeks.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I really want to bitch slap that little kid myself. Any mother who breast feeds her kid who has a full set of teeth (or any teeth for that matter) needs to be reported to child welfare. 

Welp, I guess I should be thankful you weren't my neighbor when I was breast feeding my fully toothed kids. Pretty disappointing that such a tone-deaf comment has been bumped up the the homepage.

There are many things wrong with this show and with Rosie and Gary as parents, but this comment is way off base. Sixth month old babies have teeth. Many very normal, well-adjusted women nurse normal, well-adjusted children who have plenty of teeth. Yes, 5 is unusual. But your blanket statement is really uninformed.

Thanks for saying this so I didn't have to. Even as this show keeps bringing the talent (love Brian Cox, always), it elicits some of the most judgmental comments I think I've ever seen. Amazing that people will refrain from things like backseat driving, but have no compunction about backseat parenting. The characters in question are turning out one messed up kid, but I don't think that can be laid purely at the feet of the boob(s). So to speak.

Edited for laid/lain.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 2

All the propensity evidence in the world won't make it into a criminal case. A civil case, maybe (that's not my specialty), but in criminal law, the prosecution is specifically prohibited from bringing up past bad behavior, absent a special judicial ruling and narrow exceptions, because he isn't being judged as a good or bad person--only if he violated a specific law in a specific instance. So a 7 year ago incident--not being heard by a jury. Even the conversation with the parents afterward might be limited to testimony that he apologized (as a statement of guilt), and nothing about the chair might be admissible.

• Love 2

"The Slap" has really gone off plot. The last two episodes were all filler.

Without a medical report (which the parents do not have) this case would be thrown out of court. Are the writers trying to present a profile of an abusive husband who went unchecked and because of that his rages turned on other people's children? 

It is just all so boring. All the adults seem nutty to me. 

• Love 1

IMO  viewers and a lot of posters  have gotten so used to storybook endings,everybody do the right thing,everybody do the same thing ,shows ;that they feel these NEW  type of shows are sooo OTT.

They feel the need to make these characters have redeeming qualities, that they have to make sense of everything,do the right thing, when it is very clear this is the reason these shows are called groundbreaking, record setting, etc. is because this is a different kind of storytelling, they are  meant to be shocking.

Remember when the leading character was never the bad guy? Anybody remember Twin Peaks?

Now every show has to be more controversial than the last one.

I think  this family is  together a lot  and everyone has seen Hugo's behavior.

The fact that he had been told whatever he was told to do or not do he continued being Hugo, it just happens he was swinging the bat at Harry's kid, Harry told him to stop,everyone sitting there said something, everyone except his parents.

When Harry grabbed him the way you would grab a kid swinging a baseball bat, and held his arms so he could not swing the bat, the kid kicked Harry.

The average kid would have stopped when an adult grabbed his arms (of course the average kid would not be swinging a baseball bat around unless he was defending himself. I think that was a natural reaction. Even if you did not have a temper or had hit your wife before.

I am 73 years old and if I had been faced with what Harry was faced with I would have slapped this kid too.

Really what else could he have done? 

• Love 3
I am 73 years old and if I had been faced with what Harry was faced with I would have slapped this kid too.

Really what else could he have done?

Taken the bat from Hugo.  Told him to play right.  Maybe taken him by his arm to one of his parents and pointedly handed him over.

I've been kicked in the shins by a neighbor's child who was just that age.  You don't respond to being hurt by a child by hurting him back.  We're older, we're supposed to have more self-control and know how to use our words.  Not that I'm on Rosie's side.  I understand Harry's reflexive action and have sympathy for him, but he did have other options.

• Love 4

I don't think the show has gone "off plot" at all. Every episode has had something related to the incident and we are getting character development. I certainly didn't think it was just going to be the slap, the trial, the end.

Totally agree with you, JudyObscure. Everyone saw what was happening, but no one thought to speak to Hugo's parents or the party's hosts, or even Manolis, the patriarch? A couple of family members banding together could have pressured Rosie to leave, but they turned a blind eye and let things escalate.

• Love 5

"The Slap" has really gone off plot. The last two episodes were all filler.

Without a medical report (which the parents do not have) this case would be thrown out of court. Are the writers trying to present a profile of an abusive husband who went unchecked and because of that his rages turned on other people's children? 

It is just all so boring. All the adults seem nutty to me. 

No it wouldn't.  I've defended plenty of battery cases in court not involving medical reports.  They couldn't prove any sort of specific injury without a report, but that's not a necessary element of a simple battery. 

• Love 1

Who was having sex at the very end, before Sandy was shown with her scar? Was it Harry and the coworker? It was so dark, I couldn't tell.

Also, Harry and Hector are cousins, not brothers, to address an "Alisa is Hector's sister-in-law" comment above. She's his cousin-in-law, if that's a thing.

What 5 year old announces his own bedtime? And when Rosie said "we'll go to bed together" I just knew they have one of those "family bed" arrangements. That may be fine for some people, but combined with the other crappy parenting decisions (one of which will surely be Rosie homeschooling Hugo) that kid is going to need some serious therapy.

Not downplaying "the slap" it was wrong, but Rosie (who is my most hated of dislikable people on this show) is doing much more harm to Hugo with her suffocating parenting with more long reaching damage than being slapped by Harry.  I seriously wonder what Aisha and Rosie even have in common to be friends, although Aisha is also annoying in her own way (even though she doesn't deserve a husband that is having an affair with a 16 year old).  I feel sorry for Manolis for having such a f'ed up family.

• Love 2

After the first episode, I thought  Manolis and wife were insufferably overbearing, but now we see she just brings too much food because it's all she feels she can contribute and he just thinks it's his job to fix everything. I like them now.

Yes, I felt the same way. I've also lost a parent -- the scenes with the friend were very touching.

I never really thought the parents bringing food was that bad. It seemed like a pretty casual backyard b-b-q. They type of thing where people bring something. The parents went overboard, but that's what parents do. I guess I never really get people freaking out about extra food. It will get eaten or sent home with people or make leftovers the next day (mmmmmmm leftovers). Of course I don't really like to cook so I'm generally happy to fob it off on others, especially for casual stuff. Maybe if it had been a formal party or something. And if they always do it why not count on it and save yourself the work. I don't know...Aishea kind of bugs me. It's like she thinks she's doing everybody a HUGE favor by being around them.

• Love 5

Yeah, Aisha being so upset about them bringing food just made me think she was insecure about her own cooking, or something. If they always bring food then it's les work for you to do, yay! But I hate cooking and would take any excuse to have someone else do all the work. The grandparents brought more food than I would consider normal to bring to a potluck, but so what, just take advantage of it.

• Love 3

I didn't dislike this episode.  I just can't stand Aisha and now Hector is becoming annoying.  Aisha clearly dislikes her husbands family.  If she were my daughter in law I wouldn't bother with her.  Also, Rosie and Gary were disrespectful from the get go.  At the party, they were laughing and whispering about the parents booking the trip to Greece without checking with anyone.  Who are they to even comment.  That is your friends parents, have some respect.  In my opinion, they are awful people and I hope they get destroyed in court and not because I am rooting for Harry.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I didn't dislike this episode. I just can't stand Aisha and now Hector is becoming annoying. Aisha clearly dislikes her husbands family. If she were my daughter in law I wouldn't bother with her. Also, Rosie and Gary were disrespectful from the get go. At the party, they were laughing and whispering about the parents booking the trip to Greece without checking with anyone. Who are they to even comment. That is your friends parents, have some respect. In my opinion, they are awful people and I hope they get destroyed in court and not because I am rooting for Harry.

I sort of got the impression (which is panning out) that Gary and Rosie are really Aiesha's friends so they've probably heard Aiesha complain about how awful they are and were just joining Aiesha in being pretentious snots.

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 2

Thanassis was right about one thing; Rosie and Gary aren't playing nice with this trial and they'll try to screw Harry to the wall, so from a legal standpoint, it makes sense for Harry to bring out the big guns with a sleazy-but-effective lawyer.  Hector's too dense to understand that.

Absolutely this. I'm glad he has a lawyer that's going to play hard ball for him as that's what is going to come his way from them. 

I liked this episode except Peter Sarsgaard just isn't cutting it in the role of Hector. It's just not working for me. Also, I swear Connie aged 5+yrs since last episode. She looked so young and innocent in previous episodes but in this one she in no way looked like the 18yr old she's suppose to be.

Yeah, Aisha being so upset about them bringing food just made me think she was insecure about her own cooking, or something. If they always bring food then it's les work for you to do, yay! But I hate cooking and would take any excuse to have someone else do all the work. The grandparents brought more food than I would consider normal to bring to a potluck, but so what, just take advantage of it.

I thought what they did was normal for them/their culture. My MIL is Korean and anytime she goes anywhere to visit, whether it's staying with us for two weeks or going to see one of her old friends in another state (we also live in a different state that my inlaws), she cooks and brings food with her (and cooks while she's at whoever's house). She also cleans the houses she visits. It's just part of who SHE is and has nothing really to do with the people she's visiting. I welcome it but I'm not insecure about my own self/skills.

Who was having sex at the very end, before Sandy was shown with her scar? Was it Harry and the coworker? It was so dark, I couldn't tell.

Also, Harry and Hector are cousins, not brothers, to address an "Alisa is Hector's sister-in-law" comment above. She's his cousin-in-law, if that's a thing.

It was Hector and Aisha. Harry was in bed with Sandy when they showed the scar.

she cooks and brings food with her (and cooks while she's at whoever's house). She also cleans the houses she visits. It's just part of who SHE is and has nothing really to do with the people she's visiting.

Well, I think it should have something to do with the people she's visiting because it's their house.  Just as Hugo needs to learn that he can't go into someone else's house and throw their records around then I think Hector's mother should learn that when Aisha says she doesn't want any help with the food, she should respect that. Aisha had said to Hector that she had been on the phone with her  several times telling her just that.

I thought the worst thing she did was take food off Aishas's beautifully arranged table and put her Tupperware containers in their place.  It was like saying, that her food was so much better than Aisha's that it just went without saying.  Presentation counts to me.  When I prepare a meal for guests, I consider how it each dish compliments the other and the picture it makes when it's all served up in my best dishes.  If other's think that's silly and it's just as good off paper plates, then great, they can do that at their house when they are the hosts.

Thanks. I don't get the point of them being shown having sex, but that's TV, I guess.

You're welcome and I too didn't get it at first but I think that's suppose to be our lead in for next week when they show Hector and Connie kissing.

I guess the food thing is a personality thing. For a middle class american woman I can have surprisingly few control issues about lots of stuff. Heck I had an aunt bring cookies to a catered party once. I just thanked her and put them in the dessert table. She was 80 years old and had been brought up in a dirt poor depression town where everything was a potluck and you never showed up empty handed. Yes Aiesha has the right to say no and her in laws should respect that but it feels like such a petty argument to keep having when you can just call up and say "Mom, can you help me out and take care of the dessert for the party?" You'd probably end up with a to die for dessert buffet and make your mother in law feel wanted and needed. I don't know. Aiesha's reaction just rubbed me the wrong way. Like she was digging her heels in over a silly rich person problem of too much food.

• Love 2

I agree that would be the kind thing for Aisha to do, I just don't agree that any woman who wants to plan her own party has control issues, or that people get to do whatever they feel like at another person's house.  My sister-in-law likes everyone to take their shoes off when entering her house and I'm happy to comply.

She looked so young and innocent in previous episodes but in this one she in no way looked like the 18yr old she's suppose to be.

I was under the impression Connie was still in high school and 16 or 17 years old.