Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: The Distance

• Start Topic

(edited)

I liked this one.The only thing I thought there was too much of was surgery -especially since I don't think you can expect documentary quality from Grey's Anatomy. I also expected an Amelia-centric episode, so I wasn't surprised.

I like Amelia. I find many of her reactions rather realistic. She's an excellent surgeon, and a human being with her faults and weaknesses. She obviously has self-confidence issues, she screwed-up because of her addictions so she's afraid to be a complete screw-up, and she tries to deal with it the best she can; sometimes by over-compensating.

She reminds me of early Mere by some aspects and of Derek by others, way more than of Cristina -to be honest, except for being good at surgery, and attracted to Owen, I don't see any similarity. Which is good, because there's one and only Cristina Yang.

I also like her budding relationship with Owen but I'm glad that he never came upon her when she had her "pressure venting" moments before and after the surgery.

It's been a long time since I've liked Arizona so much. This episode was worth it just for the way she put Bailey in her place (Hell Yeaaah!). I certainly hope that she gets a new love interest and doesn't get back with Callie, I think the relationship does no favor to her character. Now, for me they'd work better as friendly exes who have a child in common.

Was Mere actually nice to someone and forgot her constant surly expression behind her surgical mask? Welcome back, Dr.Grey, please show yourself more often.

And it was nice to see Jackson and April. 

Why does Alex get about three lines per episode???

As a die-hard Alex fan since his Evil Spawn days, this is nothing new. When he has a lot of airtime, it's generally about someone else and most times so far, the someone in question was a woman who made him miserable. Compare the time devoted to his "big" storyline (his father) and the time devoted to anyone else's (not even necessarily) big storylines. Alex has imo always been the third wheel on this show. If Justin Chambers wasn't so good in the role, I think that Alex would have been a mere shadow and gone for years.

I just try to take the lack of interest of the writers for the character as a blessing now; it means they won't bother ruining him. And when he happens to have more than a scene or two, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 6

I was confused by the clock. People kept leaving, Stephanie fainted, so clearly it was supposed to be hours going by. But it looked to me like the clock they kept showing only displayed minutes and seconds, because you could see the seconds ticking off.

The tumor stuff was a bit overdone (and I join with the person upthread in begging for a moratorium on tumor stories), but there were definitely things I liked. I always love seeing Webber in an instructor/mentor role, which we don't get enough of anymore. I liked Amelia and Stephanie's interaction (and I usually don't like Stephanie.) We got good Alex/Arizona moments, and the surgical payoff for Arizona spending all that time in Herman's crash course. Plus I enjoy any time hysterical Bailey gets shut down.

I also loved the brief scene with April where she said Herman was there for her, and she was returning the favor. That was a nice callback.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm surprised at all the hate for this episode, though I guess most of it comes from Amelia hate/disbelief (plus, at this point most people here are probably hate-watching). 

I actually thought this was a pretty good episode (aside from the Super hero nonsense--really could have done without that).  Every single doctor on this show has struggled with self-doubt so Amelia's freakouts didn't bug me.  I thought this was the first episode in a long time that showed us most of the characters as organically as possible...well except Karev being called in to deliver the baby....this show still can't differentiate between a pediatric surgeon and an OB. Both surgeries in the episode had a good mix of medical and personal issues (i.e, Arizona telling Bailey to shut up or get out). 

That being said, I am so glad to have this Dr.Herman tumor arc is finally wrapped up and hopefully we can move on to something more interesting, as well Derek's return and who knows maybe finally a real storyline for Alex.

The first eight or nine episodes of this season were spectacular. Since then, the writing, the acting, the story arcs have all been second rate and are just not holding my attention. 

I agree with this 10000%.  I have no idea what happened after those first 8 episodes.  The writing since then has been pretty terrible.  I hope this show gets back on track soon (but who I am kidding, i will here until the very end).  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 3

What a meh episode which is surprising because I actually like Herman and love Arizona. Everything fell flat. Humor was poor, the annoying doctor who kept asking Meredith during the surgery was very annoying. Callie and Arizona moment was zzzz. I did care about Herman but I just couldn't get into the whale surgery that only had 2 doctors in the OR. The superhero Shepherd just ruined it all for me. The only part I liked was Alex/Arizona scene and that's it.

I didn't mind Amelia at first but now I feel like the writers unintentionally made her unlikable. 

Haven't seen the promo for next episode, should I even care anymore.

• Love 3
(edited)

The show kept losing my attention, because I don't care to watch two surgeries simultaneously.

Then towards the end, I heard: WE. DEFEATED. DEATH.

And I thought it was Olivia Pope saying it, and Scandal was on already. IS. THIS. THE . WAY. THEY . ALL. TALK. NOW?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm surprised at all the hate for this episode, though I guess most of it comes from Amelia hate/disbelief.

For me 100%, I enjoyed Herman/Arizona,great acting,very moving moments, but Scorsone is terrible - she is overacting in each single scene she has, Amelia´s lines are terrible. For me personally, Amelia ruined the whole Herman´s arc. I might have given Amelia a chance if it was a more talented actress,but the way she portrays her is cringeworthy. JMHO

I do believe even if the script is terrible, a talented actor/actress has the gift to make it work. 

However, people have different opinions, different taste and of course we can perceive things differently.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 2

I could barely get through the episode with all the juvenile writing. The dialogue was painful, as it often has been this season. The superhero stance is a real thing; there was a TED talk about it a couple of years ago. But the way they used it in the show didn't bring out the necessary confidence to do the surgery well, it brought out hubris and bad decisions. Also, if she really needed to talk to Derek, don't a lot of ORs have video conferencing now? It could have been an interesting episode, if it had been written better, but it was just cringe-worthy.

For instance, use the superhero thing to center and focus yourself, and then never mention it again. Make her nervousness known, but not the center of everything. And how have they not jumped all over the hologram thing that Burke was using? In the right hands, this could have been good.

• Love 6
(edited)

Totally agree with everything HappyHarpy said above. 

I liked it overall even though so of the wording and dialog was over the top bad. Amelia crying in the bathroom didn't bother me at all. She has insecurities to begin with and was stressing because she was about to go into the biggest surgery of her life a month earlier than expected. 

I'm surprised at all the hate for this episode, though I guess most of it comes from Amelia hate/disbelief (plus, at this point most people here are probably hate-watching)

I'm not surprised. Any time there is an episode(s) centered on a character that wasn't in season 1 (or a character who isn't Meredith) gets any significant story I always expect hate. Its consistent and has been that way for years. 

Pure Shonda.
Superheroes = Gladiators

I kept waiting for "Superheroes in Scrubs" to match up with "Gladiators in Suits".

Then towards the end, I heard: WE. DEFEATED. DEATH.
And I thought it was Olivia Pope saying it, and Scandal was on already

A lot of the dialog was written and delivered like it was on Scandal. Was the writer or director someone that usually works on Scandal? I was glad Amelia's lip didn't start shaking as she was crying.

The episode ended with Amelia describing the surgery as legendary. I only hope that round 9,999 of Derek and Amelia competing doesn't begin again when he returns. He'll need to do something professionally when he returns and SGM seems to only have one of everything.

Edited by maasa
  • Love 5

I just try to take the lack of interest of the writers for the character as a blessing now; it means they won't bother ruining him. And when he happens to have more than a scene or two, I'm pleasantly surprised.

This is exactly why I am not upset about Alex's lack of screen time even though he is my favorite. I found him pretty annoying during season 6 when Izzie left him.

Arizona is my personal favorite, so it's been nice to see her get screentime, but I have to say, I'm quite disappointed that the purpose of this whole arc was to spell out for some viewers a point Arizona already got awhile ago.

Blind > Death. No Leg > Death.

I really liked Arizona in this episode. Its about time someone finally told Bailey to shut up when she starts her screaming.

I love Bailey, but in this moment, I loved Arizona. Bailey was treating her worse than she treated interns - with great disrespect, and distracting her from the focus she needed.

Superheroes? Have they been letting middle schoolers write the episodes again? Memo to Shonda: It's not deeply moving and powerful. It's just stupid.

Sad to see Herman lost her sight. A part of me wonders if that's not a fate worse than death for someone like her.

I looked it up, because it sounded so silly. But...actually...it seems to have been based on this study: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-superheroes/201107/superhero-stance.

I have no problem with Amelia crying (a host of other things, bloviating speeches for one, but not crying). I'm a pretty strong woman, and I've been known to cry (in private) to release stress. As I've told my husband, upon occasion, a crying woman isn't always sad - sometimes it's crying instead of ripping someone's face off. It doesn't quite apply in this episode, but my point is, crying in private is how many women release lots of emotions we contain in order to maintain professionalism in front of others.

I rolled my eyes with the whole Maggie not understanding the operating theater concept. Please, she's not a newbie intern, she's supposed to be a cardio-thoracic surgeon who must have observed tons of surgeries in exactly the same way.

• Love 3

I could barely get through the episode with all the juvenile writing. The dialogue was painful, as it often has been this season. The superhero stance is a real thing; there was a TED talk about it a couple of years ago. But the way they used it in the show didn't bring out the necessary confidence to do the surgery well, it brought out hubris and bad decisions. Also, if she really needed to talk to Derek, don't a lot of ORs have video conferencing now? It could have been an interesting episode, if it had been written better, but it was just cringe-worthy.

YES! The DIALOGUE sounds like it was written by fifteen year olds! I understand that this is a C-grade drama but I need a bit more believability.  The actors had a rough time spiting out those lines.  I thought Pompeo was going to pass out from negotiating the appropriate tone for that clumsily written bullshit. Whenever Meredith sounds like a sugar-y robot disciplinarian, I know Pompeo wants to kill herself. 

And HOLY FUCK MUSIC CRESCENDO as Harbinger of Quality TV - ENOUGH!

Where did all the annoying, but totally appropriate, girly-pop music go?

TERRIBLE

• Love 2

I rolled my eyes with the whole Maggie not understanding the operating theater concept. Please, she's not a newbie intern, she's supposed to be a cardio-thoracic surgeon who must have observed tons of surgeries in exactly the same way.

Plus, hasn't she seen that Seinfeld episode?

I also RME at the guy who kept asking Meredith questions that I could probably answer. Considering how much attention this surgery was getting, I would think those operating theater chairs would have been reserved for a really select group (i.e. other neurosurgeons, hospital board, and top residents). It also seemed really OOC for Meredith to be so patient with him. I kept expecting her to eventually rip his head off, and when that didn't happen, I was afraid they were reminding us that she was a one-time neuro resident so she could go save the day later on in the episode. Really glad that didn't come to pass! I actually liked the way they used her, having her step in for Stephanie.

Pretty much what others have said about the episode. But here's something I don't think anyone has mentioned: When you come out of an 18 hour surgery on your BRAIN, why are you put in a room that might as well be on the first floor of the hospital,, and where anyone and everyone can walk by and look at you, and eventually come into the room. I couldn't even with that. Is there no ICU at Seattle Grace Mercy West, or whatever it's name is now?

Hope they find some way to keep Geena Davis. 

• Love 3

Pretty much what others have said about the episode. But here's something I don't think anyone has mentioned: When you come out of an 18 hour surgery on your BRAIN, why are you put in a room that might as well be on the first floor of the hospital,, and where anyone and everyone can walk by and look at you, and eventually come into the room. I couldn't even with that. Is there no ICU at Seattle Grace Mercy West, or whatever it's name is now?

Hope they find some way to keep Geena Davis. 

I did see a sign that said Neurology ICU.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes! I totally forgot about all the exposition. For whatever other problems he may have, I really miss the Aaron Sorkin style of writing: don't talk down to your audience, make them keep up with you, and assume they are smart enough to do so.

Was anyone else disappointed that GD didn't say to Edwards, "there is no crying in surgery"?

Awesome. It might have been too smart for this episode, though. Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 1

I like another little callback to the spinal surgery episode--in that one Arizona gave the chief the smackdown i for trying to "be a bully" in Derek's surgery and this time she gave it to Bailey for the same reason. I love a good Arizona smackdown and it's nice to see her standing up for herself especially with Bailey being so insufferable.

• Love 2
(edited)

YES! The DIALOGUE sounds like it was written by fifteen year olds! I understand that this is a C-grade drama but I need a bit more believability.  The actors had a rough time spiting out those lines.  I thought Pompeo was going to pass out from negotiating the appropriate tone for that clumsily written bullshit. Whenever Meredith sounds like a sugar-y robot disciplinarian, I know Pompeo wants to kill herself. 

And HOLY FUCK MUSIC CRESCENDO as Harbinger of Quality TV - ENOUGH!

Where did all the annoying, but totally appropriate, girly-pop music go?

TERRIBLE

Which scene do you think it was - the one with Maggie or with Amelia?

I personally don´t like Guzman´s style - this episode writer, I always find his episodes bother me to a great extent.

He was the one who wrote Cristina´s fling in Mayo with her boss, he also wrote Crowen divorce,and introduced Emma for Owen (just a few examples why I dislike him)

• Love 1
(edited)

I like another little callback to the spinal surgery episode--in that one Arizona gave the chief the smackdown i for trying to "be a bully" in Derek's surgery and this time she gave it to Bailey for the same reason. I love a good Arizona smackdown and it's nice to see her standing up for herself especially with Bailey being so insufferable.

I had forgotten about that. I was thinking it was a S5 callback. Because Arizona was backburnered as Callie's +1, people tend to forget her initial purpose was to mentor Bailey in PEDS. Bailey was an a-hole to Arizona back then too.

I personally don´t like Guzman´s style - this episode writer, I always find his episodes bother me to a great extent.

He was the one who wrote Cristina´s fling in Mayo with her boss (just an example)

Guzman very much writes with "guy humor" in mind. One thing I do appreciate about him though is he knows the show, and character history, and puts little callbacks in.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1
(edited)
The episode ended with Amelia describing the surgery as legendary. I only hope that round 9,999 of Derek and Amelia competing doesn't begin again when he returns. He'll need to do something professionally when he returns and SGM seems to only have one of everything.

It probably will as she will still be his boss. I was very annoyed at the fact that she was on purpose putting him on the bench or giving him easy cases, essentially punishing him for staying. He's not a dumb surgeon (clearly) but she seemed to like to put him into that case to make herself feel better. I hope that with this tumor, she can stop being so insecure around him and be able to share cases or give him tough cases, but I will seriously throw a brick if she continues with the pettiness she's had for the first part of the season. Sure, Derek's attitude didn't help, but neither did hers. 

Or perhaps he will continue his part of the research in Seattle. I would really hate for him to drop this project.

I looked it up, because it sounded so silly. But...actually...it seems to have been based on this study: https://www.psycholo...uperhero-stance.

There have been several versions of this study, I believe. I had read similar (and admit to have tried them), so I wasn't necessarily put off by that.

I'm surprised at all the hate for this episode, though I guess most of it comes from Amelia hate/disbelief (plus, at this point most people here are probably hate-watching)

Guilty as charged on hate watching. However, on the hate when the character is new, for me in this particular case, it was not the issue. The hate, in my opinion anyway, was because of how the character has changed and the grandiosity that went with it. Superheroes! The music! Legendary! Come on. Everyone in this hospital is the best of the best, apparently. Don't feed into it. Make a great episode, not a egomaniac episode. It was too much and tried too hard, is my point. It was noticeable.

I doubt Geena Davis will stay on GA. If anything I doubt we will see her next episode. Was she listed as a guest star? 

ETA: 

He was the one who wrote Cristina´s fling in Mayo with her boss, he also wrote Crowen divorce,and introduced Emma for Owen (just a few examples why I dislike him)

To be fair, this is not his fault entirely. These were planned SLs by Shonda & Co., I believe Tony & Joan were still in charge, (I assume he was involved somehow), so the episodes assigned to him come with a planned SL he has to develop. Granted, the SLs weren't great (thank Shonda for that) but his episodes are mostly ok. Other than this one. 

Edited by AnitaM86

I thought Owen was perfectly justified in expecting his surgeon to comply with hospital safety protocols. Failing to follow the safety rules subjects the hospital to lawsuits and possibly losing their liability insurance. Of course, the great Amelia is above all that.

I didn't mind her crying before the surgery, but stopping in the middle of a surgery which she insisted on to cry for her brother and insist she couldn't carry on is unprofessional and a little nuts. She could easily have found another neuro surgeon to help her, set up a video conference with Derek before or during the surgery.

I also cannot stand the descriptions of the tumor as some great thing that must be defeated etc. When you are dealing with an actual human being, the person should come first.

• Love 4

The funny thing is, I don't hate watch. I want to love it. I want Thursday night Grey's to be my icing on the cake, my reward for getting through my work week, my one show that I love. I very much enjoyed the first part of this season. It was as close wonderful as they could get.

Now, the dialogue is "at each other" instead of to and with each other. In this episode, the preaching went on and on, and the predictable stuff that we've all mentioned (Owen barking orders, Richard coming down from the mountain to give his advice, Stephanie being the only one good enough to be in the O.R.) was so laughable. As so many have mentioned, Acting. Is. Not. Just. Saying. Important. Sounding. Words.

I never liked Amelia on this show, never saw her on PP, so an Amelia-centric episode will always bother me, but it seems like an Amelia-centric month.

Since Derek is my favorite character, I'm also quite put off by what I perceive (and it's just my perception) to be the Derek bashing from the characters (I'm used to it on the Internet!) I guess I just miss him so much that I'm probably overly critical.

I may be nuts, I may be really nuts, but I have to wonder about how Shonda thinks of and deals with men in her real life. This season, of all seasons, the men on her show are just awful and are aimless, and the women are the heroes and seem to call the shots 100% of the time. If I didn't know better (heh), I'd think the schtick from her other shows is bleeding over to this show. This is why I'll never watch another Shonda Rhimes show after Grey's, but I'm here as long as Meredith and Derek are.

More on the mystery of Alex Karev in his thread.

• Love 4

Which scene do you think it was - the one with Maggie or with Amelia?

Actually, I first noticed it repeatedly in the "gallery."  Wait, I forget, yes, Maggie sounds right. What scene was that?  I was in a partial coma for most of episode

• Love 2

Actually, I first noticed it repeatedly in the "gallery."  Wait, I forget, yes, Maggie sounds right. What scene was that?  I was in a partial coma for most of episode

You make me laugh. Thanks.

• Love 1

I may be nuts, I may be really nuts, but I have to wonder about how Shonda thinks of and deals with men in her real life. This season, of all seasons, the men on her show are just awful and are aimless, and the women are the heroes and seem to call the shots 100% of the time.

I don't know if Shonda is dealing with issues, but I don't mind this, in and of itself. Women have always been expected to be content with playing the supportive woman/sex object to the lead men. Fine with me if once in a while the men were playing second banana. I just wish she was executing it better.

• Love 5

I'd think the schtick from her other shows is bleeding over to this show.

I agree... Scandal and HTGAWM are so over-the-top and cartoon-like - and Shonda gets so much praise for it - I think she's given up on writing anything as relatable as GA was in the early years. And the writing on GA is clearly starting to emulate those shows. Amelia's "tumor rhapsodies" are a perfect example of this - they're nuts.

And that's fine if that's what Shonda wants to do; I don't need to watch GA, and I don't watch the others. But at the same time Shonda is somehow praised (and she praises herself - God, her twitter feed is nonstop patting herself on the back!) for the relevance of her writing, i.e., her "feminist" characters. Sorry, but taking the average medical soap opera and reversing the sexes of the characters (so you have arrogant, narcissistic women and hapless men) isn't feminism, it's fantasy. There are no role models for equality anywhere here.

• Love 11
(edited)
Women have always been expected to be content with playing the supportive woman/sex object to the lead men. Fine with me if once in a while the men were playing second banana. I just wish she was executing it better.

Ten years ago, yes. That was the role women were expected to portray. Now, it isn't. But here's the thing: many shows now put women as equal to men, not one is better than the other, which is the trend that Shonda has had for this show (I don't watch Scandal becauseI find it unbearable, so can't say much about that).

My problem is that in order to make her female characters to excel, Shonda & Co. emasculate the male characters to point of caricature. I don't believe that as a writer, you need to switch sides (men be the sex object/supportive husband) to make female characters great. It's just terrible writing of characters. The men of this show have always been written awfully, whether as a fantasy (as McDreamy) or arrogant a-holes (Burke) or broken tortured souls (Alex & Owen). Alex is probably the only one that is written with more of a sense of a good man than the rest but then again, Jo is written as someone that respects him and sees him as his equal while Izzie didn't, especially towards the end of their marriage. And now she makes her female characters have the air of grandiosity (which to a point, it's fine but...there's a limit) that makes any character (female or male) impossible to tolerate. 

I don't mean to turn this into a feminism class of this show (because it's dumb to do so) but to make the point, I love feminist characters. But I don't love feminist characters when they are sent to diminish the role of men. That's not what feminism is. 

There are no role models for equality anywhere here.

This pretty much sums it up as the rest of your post, Tuleh2. (By some reason I couldn't like your post, so kuddos).

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 10
well except Karev being called in to deliver the baby....this show still can't differentiate between a pediatric surgeon and an OB.

I don't think he was called in to deliver the baby, he was called in so he could attend to the baby as soon as it was born.

I also RME at the guy who kept asking Meredith questions that I could probably answer

He was just a random guy, right? I kept thinking he was going to turn out to not be a doctor and somehow use what he saw to sue the hospital or something.  And of course these people wouldn't recognize if he worked there or not, like that poor woman who couldn't leave the hospital after her fiance died.

• Love 1

The last scene between Arizona and Herman was some fine acting.

Their partnership/friendship really grew on me, but I liked the storyline better in it's original form - on Master of Sex.

What makes a great surgeon is modesty and being a down-to-earth person despite saving lives often in miraculous ways. Then it´s somebody you can admire and look up to,not this arrogant superhero attitude. I really dislike the message the show sends to the profession of a doctor through Amelia´s storyline. 

As a nurse who's worked years on a surgical floor and with recovery room experience, I don't think I've ever met a modest surgeon.  I think arrogance is pretty common, along with the incredible drive that gets you through years of training.  Amelia's speeches are pretty dumb, but I've met my share of weirdos with MD after their names.

• Love 5

After leaving the operating room, the next thing that should have happened is Amelia gets grabbed by orderlies, stripped, thrown into a shower, and have her finger tips scraped. She won't be able to continue as a Derek-class surgeon with bone tumors or leukemia.

• Love 4

Arizona didn't figure out Herman's blindness before Amelia did, she was just the first one to verbalize it. Amelia knew as soon as she told Herman to follow the light with her eyes and her eyes did not move. That's why Stephanie began crying when Herman asked if Amelia got the entire tumor, because she knew that she was blind. Amelia then notices Hunt/Webber entering the room and tips Herman off to who's entering to keep her from having to share the news for now if she doesn't want to. Amelia, Stephanie and Arizona all know as soon as Amelia performs the light test, Arizona is just the first one to say it outloud.

And to whoever commented on the accessibility of Herman's room - most ICUs are designed so the nurse/staff is able to see several patients from the nurse's station. That way they can chart, etc, but still keep an eye on their patients. ICUs are often in closed units, but it wouldn't be unusual to have a lot of people in and out of the area, especially surgeons who would frequently be consulting in patients in that area.

• Love 3

I've always said Jessica Capshaw is so under appreciated. She has been superb this season. I cannot stomach Callie with her ever again.

The surgery marathon was so unbelievably stupid. Shonda thinks her audience is really stupid to believe all the flaws in this story.

First of all neurosurgeons are generally much older and have real gravitas. Experimental neuro surgery would never be performed by a solo surgeon, with no peer co neurosurgeon of any kind assisting. Neurosurgery would never be assisted by a general surgery resident a year or two out from her Internship, there would be neurosurgery fellows assisting. Neurosurgeons train ten or fifteen years after medical school. They do a five to seven year general surgery residency, then they do an equally long neuro fellowship . The most stupid of all was the lack of a radiology oncologist, they are the ones who place the radiation beads in the wound.

Stupid, stupid stupid, guess I've said it a few times.

• Love 14

After leaving the operating room, the next thing that should have happened is Amelia gets grabbed by orderlies, stripped, thrown into a shower, and have her finger tips scraped. She won't be able to continue as a Derek-class surgeon with bone tumors or leukemia

I wondered about that, too.  I wonder if the issue of radiation damage will come up later (Amelia starts to have some type of weird symptoms, freaks out, etc.).

I didn't want Hermann to die (I'm hoping she isn't gone for good, but hangs around still teaching Arizona more stuff), but I did hope that Amelia would screw up somehow (I'm not sure how to count the blindness.  Would it have happened anyway, or did she mess up somehow?  Maybe we'll know more later).  Then I thought that if the surgery went well, Amelia could still get her come-uppance by being so overconfident and arrogant that she screws up a later perfectly routine surgery later.  Maybe that'll still happen. 

This may be a really small detail considering that Amelia Shepherd did a surgery on one of her own, but I literally screamed out of happiness when I saw Japril. It was sooooooo good to see that they can walk back into the hospital after the baby. It absolutely sucked what happened to them, but it was great to see that she walked into the gallery and watched the surgery.

Amelia was a badass when she took off the gloves, I mean exposing herself to radiation despite Owen's yelling: BAD-ASS. BAD TO THE ASS

It scared the crap of me when Steph fell. Pure tiredness after doing surgery for 13 hours. And lol Richard's not looking and she like sprints away loz lolz.

• Love 2

I could 't even process Amelia's kicking death's ass speech. I sometimes have these arguments with my husband in which there is so much absolutely absurd about what he is trying to say that I can't respond - I litterally can't even decide which ridiculous statement to start with. That's what her speech was like. I don't have any doctor friends - do they really approach work like this? What struck me was just that it seemed like she was saying that everything about being a doctor was about feeding her own ego - not about the patient. I'd have to re-watch to try to re-capture the dialogue and tone but that's the impression it gave me. I've never been seriously ill but I'm not sure if I was in that position that I'd want a doctor that was only concerned about what my treatment meant to her. I guess the writers' were trying to imply that her approach to all this is what helps the patient but it just screamed ME ME ME ME ME it's all about MEEEEE.

• Love 1

I didn't hate the episode, but I didn't' love it.  I like Amelia, but this was just too much Amelia.  She works better as part of the ensemble instead of a lead character.  Her better scenes were with Weber and Meredith.  Arizona is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show.  She was great with Dr. Herman and I loved her scenes in the OR with Bailey and Karev.  Her scenes with Callie were okay, but I prefer her without Callie.

• Love 1

I didn't take it as Maggie didn't understand the concept. I took it as she thought it was strange that attendings would gather to watch surgeries and treat it like going to the movies. I mean Meredith brought snacks.

That's what her speech was like. I don't have any doctor friends - do they really approach work like this?

Obviously the show goes over the top in dramatizing everything but I think that there are many doctors that detach completely from patients and look at everything in the most scientific way possible. 

• Love 1

Amelia and Stephanie were staring at the scans post op. I got the feeling they'd been staring for a while. Stephanie was the one who noticed the stroke?? "Nice catch, " or whatever Amelia said. I found that scene dumb.

• Love 3
(edited)
The one good thing that happened was Arizona finally telling Bailey to STFU. While I totally understand Bailey advocating for her patient, there is trying to do what is best for your patient and then there is browbeating the surgeon while she is in the middle of surgery.

Yes, and how many times has she been allowed to do this? I just watched an old episode where she brow beat Mark in the operating room. "Respectfully..." SHUT UP. I think it was season 7 where Bailey officially crossed over from bad ass to insufferable nag. 

We need Patrick Dempsey. The estrogen on this show is just too much, 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6
(edited)

Does it make me a bad person that I really *want* Amelia stricken with radiation poisoning, destined to die a quick death by the end of the season? I mean...she's just a terrible fictional character. That doesn't really make me a terrible person, does it?

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 7

Does it make me a bad person that I really *want* Amelia stricken with radiation poisoning, destined to die a quick death by the end of the season? I mean...she's just a terrible fictional character. That doesn't really make me a terrible person, does it?

Not at all... if you were a bad person, you'd want her to die a slow death.

• Love 5
(edited)

I've always said Jessica Capshaw is so under appreciated. She has been superb this season. I cannot stomach Callie with her ever again.

The surgery marathon was so unbelievably stupid. Shonda thinks her audience is really stupid to believe all the flaws in this story.

First of all neurosurgeons are generally much older and have real gravitas. Experimental neuro surgery would never be performed by a solo surgeon, with no peer co neurosurgeon of any kind assisting. Neurosurgery would never be assisted by a general surgery resident a year or two out from her Internship, there would be neurosurgery fellows assisting. Neurosurgeons train ten or fifteen years after medical school. They do a five to seven year general surgery residency, then they do an equally long neuro fellowship . The most stupid of all was the lack of a radiology oncologist, they are the ones who place the radiation beads in the wound.

Stupid, stupid stupid, guess I've said it a few times.

The crew/writers constantly brag about consulting with professionals and I ask myself are they lying??? Who are these consultants?

They have a medical Linda Klein on set and one of the writers is supposedly a doctor, but is it enough?Do they consult all the serious stuff so that it is credible,because this whole Amelia surgery was a huge faux pas. I bet the radiation thing was there to give them another possible storyline for Amelia in the future so that Owen can bathe her like he did Cristina, so all they look for is drama with no sense of at least a tiny amount of credibility. 

Why aren´t there at least 2 surgeons for each department, general has a few, trauma, pediatrics but what about neuro,cardio,ortho,plastics - are they all departments of 1 surgeon???  

(edited)

Amelia and Stephanie were staring at the scans post op. I got the feeling they'd been staring for a while. Stephanie was the one who noticed the stroke?? "Nice catch, " or whatever Amelia said. I found that scene dumb.

I have also pointed this one out,so this world class neuro surgeon has not found it out herself that her patient suffered stroke, a resident has to tell her???? I think this says everything about Amelia´s superhero skills which defeat death.

No.  I´ll be honest, I wish it, too.

But if this was on script, Scorsone would have a hissy fit and make Rhimes change it. JMHO

Before the episode, I assumed Dr. Hermann was toast. So I was hoping that Amelia would be so upset that she killed Hermann that she would kill herself with a scalpel in the operating theater.  Maybe I'm going a little too dark, even for GA.

• Love 4

The crew/writers constantly brag about consulting with professionals and I ask myself are they lying??? Who are these consultants?

They have a medical Linda Klein on set and one of the writers is supposedly a doctor, but is it enough?Do they consult all the serious stuff so that it is credible,because this whole Amelia surgery was a huge faux pas. I bet the radiation thing was there to give them another possible storyline for Amelia in the future so that Owen can bathe her like he did Cristina, so all they look for is drama with no sense of at least a tiny amount of credibility. 

Why aren´t there at least 2 surgeons for each department, general has a few, trauma, pediatrics but what about neuro,cardio,ortho,plastics - are they all departments of 1 surgeon???

Even if they have consultants on set, they might easily ignore their advice! My uncle was asked to consult on a show that was being filmed at the hospital he worked at, but quit because they favoured drama over realism. My uncle did not want his name associated with the show.

Another small detail that bothered me was Herman's voice when she woke up. I had a two hour surgery a few months ago and had no voice due to the breathing tube when I awoke, yet after an 18 hour surgery and being unconscious for an extended period, Herman sounded like she had a bit of a tickle!

• Love 6
(edited)

When they were preparing for the surgery of the century all I could think was, "has Stephanie always he'd that rack? Stand like a superhero whenever you want, just don't try to act." I'd rather see stories involving Shadow Shepherd than BabyUseless Shepherd.

I'm not sure if Owen or Bailey was the most insufferable nag. Either way, I have to think that screeching at someone who's performing a delicate surgery cannot be the best strategy.

I don't want to see Shadow Shepherd stories.

Edited by DropTheSoap
  • Love 3
Even if they have consultants on set, they might easily ignore their advice! My uncle was asked to consult on a show that was being filmed at the hospital he worked at, but quit because they favoured drama over realism. My uncle did not want his name associated with the show.

This is so true. A friend's father was asked to be a military consultant for a hugely popular movie. He told them about the proper procedures, pointed out errors in the script, etc. and then the producers chose to ignore his advice anyway. If it's frustrating for us as viewers to see huge holes in logic/glaring errors in protocol and logic, I can only imagine how much more annoying it is to be the consultant who told them they were doing it wrong and then see them DELIBERATELY choose to do it incorrectly anyway.

• Love 3