Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: For All You Know

I thought this was a good episode, but should have been epic and it didn't quite get there. Something about the writing and/or the execution fell flat. With that said, though, it was still quite good. I always really like Sherlock dealing with his junkie past--it brings out a level of self-reflection and self-loathing that JLM plays really beautifully. Sherlock never seems so human as when he is determined not to be that person again. Conversely, though, I also really liked Joan telling him to stop assuming he was guilty/trying to punish himself. The ways in which they really balance each other came out in spades tonight.

I'm trying to be sympathetic to the victim's family, but it's actually kind of hard. I'm waiting for the brother's apology for kicking the crap out of Sherlock. And how about an apology from the other detectives?

Other things I loved: Joan's Mama Bear protectiveness of Sherlock and utter refusal to even entertain the notion that he might be guilty; that Bell and Gregson also had his back, no questions asked; that Sherlock reached out to his junkie friend at the end, even though it got thrown back in his face. That relationship was oddly compelling. And his friend's last bellowings at him did make me realize that I like how the show treats the possibility of Sherlock's relapse--it's always a possibility and it's discussed frankly, and thus if the show were to go there, I don't think it would ever be sensationalized. It would be treated as what it is--an addict relapsing. I don't know, I just appreciate that the show deals with Sherlock's addiction pretty honestly, and that includes the constant danger of relapse.

• Love 9

"It should trouble you how often you believe that." Even at his emotional nadir, Holmes can't resist a good jab.

Gregson and Bell doubted Holmes' guilt, but Joan was absolutely sure. The difference between co-workers (even close ones) and partners.

Michael Weston will always be "Jake" for me.

• Love 1

For me Michael Weston will always be Spencer Watkowski, a character he appeared as on Burn Notice as a client of Jeffrey Donovon's character, who was named Michael Westen.

But, damn, Jonny Lee Miller was killing it tonight.

• Love 4

I thought this was a good episode, but should have been epic and it didn't quite get there.

I agree with much, but, imo, the script was just right.

Sherlock's terror at how much he doesn't know because his mind--his vaunted instrument-- was impaired and not working as intended. He could no more say he didn't dance naked in a fountain or stole a handsome cab for a joyride, but a murder? The world is full of folks who never thought they could take a life. While I am glad that it was made plain that Sherlock did not murder Maria, having the doubt? Would be torture, as Sherlock said.

I'm trying to be sympathetic to the victim's family, but it's actually kind of hard. I'm waiting for the brother's apology for kicking the crap out of Sherlock. And how about an apology from the other detectives?

As I noted, IA with this.  This wasn't because Sherlock was narrowing a suspect pool or gauging a reaction and being assy as he does so. This was a charge of murder. While I don't expect them to send a muffin basket and "Sorry we shunned you for thinking you murdered a family member" card ( Hallmark has that right?), something from the brother who Sherlock could still put back in jail if so moved. Maybe a phone scene where Joan asks and Sherlock says it's the brother and that Prentis( ?) owes him a favor. Something. Same for the cops from the 3-5. (::waves to Richard Brooks:: Still looking good!) They don't have to get mushy, but something, maybe a later case, where they come to him because they feel like they owe him. Maybe even a heads up on one of the Irregulars, if they get in trouble.

While I love that Joan gets Mama Bear for Sherlock, her fireside speech read to me as dismissive of his reasonable fear. Joan was trying to be supportive, but it came across as diminishing the possibility of Sherlock killing. ( Granted, no one here wants that, but her continued insistence irked me.) "You never met Him!" It's true and reasonable. Joan has no hard evidence of what Holmes was like on drugs. Only the addicts he has shunned and disdain openly know.

Was I alone in thinking that Joan had to have her phone on or Bell shadowing her when she went off with Oliver? Then to tell him that she was taking the evidence, seemed dumb/ballsy. Joan, I care, so take back-up, or Back-Up, if Veronica will lend him to you.

I hope we see more of the music lady.  I won't be upset if we don't, but I think these folks might be able to find something to attach to it.

Other than missing Clyde and Ms. Hudson, a good, solid episode.

• Love 2

Too much violence for me, but I really appreciated Oscar's rejection of Sherlock's help at the end because it seemed very realistic for a junkie, and it was not the typical happy ending of addict gets saved by show hero.

But I would also like to see a clean Oscar in a future episode.

• Love 4

Same for the cops from the 3-5. (::waves to Richard Brooks:: Still looking good!)

As he was talking to Sherlock about how Maria was murdered, I kept waiting for him to say in his crazy Jubal Early voice: "Now, does that seem right to you?"  

• Love 1

I'm confused as to why these cops were so sure Sherlock had murdered this woman. They said the murderer had done such a good job hiding the body that it was highly plausible that Sherlock did it, but if they were so big on the belief that he'd do such a good job covering his tracks, why on earth would he leave behind a note implicating himself? If he's so cautious and smart that would never have happened. A stray fingerprint or hair that he missed I could buy. A huge note on a napkin left behind, no. Also, what was his motive? It was infinitely more possible that this woman who was afraid of police had gone to a private detective to help her with a dangerous problem than that Sherlock had randomly decided to kill this person. Sherlock believing he did it was one thing, the cops just looked lazy.

Several of the last episodes have had Sherlock shirtless. I approve.

• Love 9
(edited)

The police weren't being lazy; they were being police.  In the world of the police, the obvious suspect is the guy who did it.  Everyone else is Maria's life was cleared except for the junkie detective who admitted to writing the note and having blackouts.  Also, Sherlock was reading as guilty because he felt guilty.  For the 3-5 guys, reading guilty means being guilty.

As for apologies, perhaps some were extended off-screen.  It's clear that Sherlock didn't want apologies and that he still felt guilt over Maria's death.  She needed his help and he forgot she's ever existed.  Now he gets to wonder if there's other people like her that he's failed and forgotten about.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 5

After getting used to having Kitty around, now that she's gone, it feels like a different show. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I came around to really liking Kitty in her last few episodes, but I'm kinda glad to be back to the old Holmes/Watson dynamic. This is the basic premise of the show and the relationship that sold it to me. Kitty was nice, but she was - as she should have been - temporary.

I also felt like, while this was a good episode, it didn't quite reach the heights its premise could suggest. I did like Oscar, though, and his face looked REALLY familiar - although it doesn't look like I've seen him anywhere (at least the actor's name doesn't ring any bells). I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him later at some point, he had enough personality to make it interesting.

• Love 1
(edited)
Too much violence for me, but I really appreciated Oscar's rejection of Sherlock's help at the end because it seemed very realistic for a junkie, and it was not the typical happy ending of addict gets saved by show hero.

Are we to assume that Sherlock was going to pay for Oscar's stint in rehab?

I did like Oscar, though, and his face looked REALLY familiar - although it doesn't look like I've seen him anywhere (at least the actor's name doesn't ring any bells).

Michael Weston played Lucas Douglas, House's private detective who briefly dated Cuddy.

Edited by MaryHedwig

I'm confused as to why these cops were so sure Sherlock had murdered this woman.

Hi there- the police didn't arrest Sherlock, or do any more than question him, until the city politician called in the "I heard them arguing (or was it that he threatened her? or both?) just before she went missing" lie. The politician's clout within the department plus the other circumstantial evidence made for handwaving an arrest.

I'm pretty happy leaving Sherlock's addiction woe in the past, from a plotting perspective. It drives the character that he is but I don't super enjoy it taking center stage. I *did* enjoy this episode, however, because JLM was ALL there. He was amazing through every note of what he was working with in this story. His shame and self-doubt over that period of his life (I think he feels VERY responsible- emotionally if not intellectually- for Oscar's plight) continue and shade all of his successes now. Good on the whole production team for making this one memorable and heartbreaking.

(edited)

I thought it was a very good episode.  JLM was really on in this episode.

I guess, if there's a politician involved, we should just assume he or she is the guilty party since they just about always are the guilty party.

(Ha! Pipped by FineWashables!)

One little nitpick:  When the councilman took off his bloodstained dress shirt to reveal his undershirt - it had not a single smear of blood on it. I would think at least some blood would have seeped through.

Oscar was certainly an interesting character.  I too wouldn't mind seeing him again, cleaned up or not.

Loved PreviouslyTV's  recap!

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

But, folks, what about the jingle?

HA! You know that wounded singer song writer is going to create mayhem and anarchy. Death to the commercial marketers that steal unoriginal uninspired studio music!

• Love 2

JLM owned this episode--it speaks well of his own moral integrity that he's filled with as much self-doubt over his actions when he was using drugs.  He's ashamed of his actions and I applaud that he wants to make things right, but he needs to be careful that he's not taking on too much of the guilt.  Yes, Maria came to him for help and he figured out the crime but than Maria went off with the Councilman and he was able to kill her--Sherlock can not be held responsible for other's actions.

Oscar is also a case in point--yes, he and Sherlock used drugs together--and Oscar also stole from Sherlock which is a sticking point for Sherlock and where his dislike lies-- but than Sherlock got clean and there is absolutely no reason why Oscar couldn't as well.  Sherlock is not responsible for Oscar's continued drug use.

I did love how unquestionably loyal Joan was and that she worked as hard as she did to clear Sherlock's name and I truly loved how honest Sherlock was when he talked to her about his drug past. He is genuinely afraid of his past and I think Joan finally understands just how deep that fear is.

I also liked Gregson's attitude with the cops from the 3-5.  "You wanted five minutes to talk to him, you got five minutes."  He didn't believe Sherlock was guilty either but he had to do everything by the book and Bell felt the same way.  I like that Sherlock has such stalwart friends and I hope he realizes how lucky he is to have them in his life.

• Love 6

Are we to assume that Sherlock was going to pay for Oscar's stint in rehab?

That was my assumption. He said "you have an open/standing reservation there" or something like that, which led me to believe he had paid them to accept Oscar anytime he shows up, finally wanting help. Sadly, Oscar was not open to such a generous offer.

So once again the murderer turned out to be the only guest star playing a politician!  Who would have guessed it?

I know! Surprise, surprise! Actually, at first he seemed genuinely willing to help in any way in order to solve Maria's murder, so I was hoping they would go against the usual "politician=guilty" and instead make his fired deputy the killer. Or anyone else, really. Alas, they went with the unsurprising.

Yes! I forgot about that! Writers, what happened with the jingle? Inquiring minds want to know!  *GRIN*

• Love 1
(edited)

Great episode, and I too loved Joan and Gregson's faith in Sherlock. That said, I also appreciated the acknowledgment that it doesn't really mean anything, because at the time he was a different person. Another time this show handles addiction well. People who have never abused drugs or alcohol often seem to think it just exposes some deeper version of you, some essence of you without any rules or self-censors or inhibitions. But it's not that, it's somebody else. (I am reminded of the bizarre skepticism some people have when a person claims to not remember the night before when they did something untoward. I tend to believe people when they say it. I equally believe them when learning what happened doesn't jog some memory. It really often, at its worst, is as if it's somebody else entirely.)

I admit I got a little lost in the actual result of who killed whom and why, mostly because the second they showed that dude I knew he was the killer. Which doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some viewers (since the "how" is of equal interest to me), but this time the explanation was a bit abrupt.

I was a little surprised, though, that Lauren Velez showed up for just one short scene.

Michael Weston always reminds me of Jake, too (someone above mentioned this), but he's also Olivia Benson's bio-brother on SVU. I always think of that when I see him, and always search my memory for how that character arc ultimately ended.

Edited by gesundheit

I really liked this episode - and show overall - and think that JLM does an amazing job portraying his pain at his past, the things he did in his past during his addictions, and how it really did destroy part of him.

I do think this storyline should have been a two-parter. End the first part with a cliff-hanger that Sherlock really did it, then have Bell, Joan and Gregson did up more evidence that would exonerate Sherlock.

Didn't quite get the reason WHY that Councilman did what he did. Maybe I missed this, but the two cops who brought in the napkin, questioned Sherlock about Maria's murder. But where did the napkin come from? Did Councilman guy hold onto it for 3 years then give it to the cops?? Made no sense, especially since he tells Sherlock himself that he's read up on Holmes, and knows that Holmes is good with finding clues and evidence that others missed. Why bring in a proficient investigator who could possibly expose you?

What did I miss??

• Love 2

Didn't quite get the reason WHY that Councilman did what he did.

He was having an affair with some woman and tried to break it off; he ended up stabbing her then went back to the office in his bloody clothes, took them off and put them in a dumpster. Maria saw him and took the clothes, knowing something bad must have happened, then went to Sherlock for help.  The councilman found out she took the clothes and killed her too.   Sherlock wrote a note to her on a napkin and it was found on her body. 

If I missed anything or got something wrong, please feel free to correct  my explanation.

• Love 1
Sherlock believing he did it was one thing, the cops just looked lazy.

I was also wondering if the show was subtly trying to call back to the notion that a lot of "normal" cops really hate Sherlock, and therefore was trying to present it as the cops were overly ready to jump on him on relatively slender evidence because of personal animus. But then the show didn't really go there like I thought it would.

Didn't quite get the reason WHY that Councilman did what he did. Maybe I missed this, but the two cops who brought in the napkin, questioned Sherlock about Maria's murder. But where did the napkin come from? Did Councilman guy hold onto it for 3 years then give it to the cops??

No--the cops said at the start of the episode that while Maria had gone missing 3 years previously, they had JUST found the body the previous week, and the note was on the body. My guess is that when Joan and Sherlock showed up at the councilman's office, he felt that being anything less than 100% willing to work with them (on the surface) might set off some red flags. Maybe he was also confident that, since it hadn't yet been pinned on him and they were looking at Sherlock, he could afford to seem helpful.

I do think this storyline should have been a two-parter. End the first part with a cliff-hanger that Sherlock really did it, then have Bell, Joan and Gregson did up more evidence that would exonerate Sherlock.

Yeah, you know, I was thinking back on it, and I do think parts of the episode felt rushed--in trying to construct a case that would make it plausible that Sherlock had killed the woman and had enough twists and turns to keep us engaged (which it did), I think the episode unintentionally got a bit overstuffed. Maybe a two-parter would've given both Sherlock's personal angst and the case a bit more time to breathe.

I was positive it was going to be a two-parter.  There just didn't seem to be enough time to wrap it all up.  I thought it would end with the cliff-hanger then we'd have to wait a few weeks for part II.  But I was wrong.  It would have made a very good two-part story.

• Love 1

I came around to really liking Kitty in her last few episodes, but I'm kinda glad to be back to the old Holmes/Watson dynamic. This is the basic premise of the show and the relationship that sold it to me. Kitty was nice, but she was - as she should have been - temporary.

I also felt like, while this was a good episode, it didn't quite reach the heights its premise could suggest. I did like Oscar, though, and his face looked REALLY familiar - although it doesn't look like I've seen him anywhere (at least the actor's name doesn't ring any bells). I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him later at some point, he had enough personality to make it interesting.

Isn't that the guy who played Olivia's brother on Law & Order SVU, and also Cuddy's love interest on House, the time when House drove the car into Cuddy's house?  Wow, what a sentence.  

• Love 1
(edited)

It was actually Lorraine Velez who appeared in Elementary.

Wait, really? Is she related to Lauren Velez? That's crazy, I just assumed that was her. That is uncanny.

Edited because I just looked it up. Twin sisters! I feel less blind now.

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 1

This is worthy of a multi episode arc - culminating in the return of Irene / Moriarty. Who else could capture something played in a soundproof studio? 

• Love 2
I also liked Gregson's attitude with the cops from the 3-5.  "You wanted five minutes to talk to him, you got five minutes."  He didn't believe Sherlock was guilty either but he had to do everything by the book and Bell felt the same way.

JLM's reaction when he realised he was being interrogated was great, but why wasn't he Mirandarized?

• Love 1

House ( and other shows) taught me that any character freely offering information is hiding something. I suspected the politician right away based off of that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Took me a while to place Richard Brooks.  I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't the 90s anymore, and he looks different then he did back in the Law & Order days.  Michael Weston though, I easily placed.  Besides having a name very similar to the lead on Burn Notice (and now, a character from The Following), I always remember him best as Lucas from House and especially Jacob from Six Feet Under.  And neither one was the killer!  Sure, Weston is a heroin junkie, but I'll take it!

Thought Jonny Lee Miller was fantastic in this episode.  Really sold all of Sherlock's numerous emotions over the roller coaster ride. The fight with Joan was the highlight.  I liked how he describe how different the Sherlock in 2011 was thanks to his addiction, and despite how close they are, Joan really didn't see that version of him.  Anytime the show tackles his addiction, it becomes more then just a mere procedural, but I don't find it too heavy-handed or like they excuse his past actions and behavior.  It's just part of the character, and why he is the way he is.  I love it.

Case though, wasn't all that interesting, and I figured it would be the Councilman since was maybe a bit too helpful, and, really, shows loving make it be the politicians.  

I liked that Gregson and Bell may have had some doubts, but they still helped out when they could.  They were prepared for the worse, but still backed him.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

Talking smack about who's really to blame in this week's Elementary.

http://previously.tv/elementary/i-am-heroin/"> Read the story

So much love for this recap. 

ITA with other posters that the councilman was too obviously guilty, but in this episode, unraveling the whodunit ran a far second to enjoying JLM's performance. Great job acting Sherlock's deep guilt, anger, and regret of the past that can't and won't stay buried.

And yes. I do appreciate a gratuitous shot (or ten) of JLM's tattooed torso, so keep 'em coming.

JLM's reaction when he realised he was being interrogated was great, but why wasn't he Mirandarized?

Miranda is only required when the suspect is in custody.  Sherlock was free to get up and leave at any time.  Which is what he should have done as soon as he realized he was a suspect.

• Love 1

One little nitpick:  When the councilman took off his bloodstained dress shirt to reveal his undershirt - it had not a single smear of blood on it. I would think at least some blood would have seeped through.

There definitely weren't any smears, but I could've sworn I did see some dots where it'd clearly bled thru. Specks moreso. I remember thinking "why is he not tossing both shirts?" But given the amount of blood on the exterior shirt, probably should've been more that got through.
  • Love 3

Miranda is only required when the suspect is in custody.  Sherlock was free to get up and leave at any time.  Which is what he should have done as soon as he realized he was a suspect.

That seems awfully shady. Sherlock is requested to come in by the captain. He has every reason that he is there in his usual capacity as a consultant. That the 3 5 guys and especially Gregson didn't tell him he was brought in as a suspect reeks of entrapment and is all kinds of fucked up. In short, Gregson is now on my shit list for not giving Sherlock a head's-up..

• Love 2
(edited)

But I would also like to see a clean Oscar in a future episode.

As far as the violence went, aside from the gruesome attack on Sherlock by the victim's brother, it was actually all off screen, and I really had to think hard about the last time I saw a show of this type that showed neither a murder being committed nor a dead body.  (The last one I remember was one of the  original Perry Mason shows, when a character not even introduced is killed completely off screen and never shown).  So in a way I think it intensified that the drama in this one was almost all psychological, which made it a really fine episode to me, I loved that the way it centered around Sherlock's doubt in his "former" self and in Joan's loyalty in refusing to believe he was in any way guilty, which loyalty turned out to be justified. But as said, he continues to feel doubt about other persons he can't remember...

I loved that haunting string music they played over the scene where Sherlock tells Joan he's been accused.  It was very strange yet moving.  JLM and LL really made this one memorable to me.  I would like to see more of this kind of (relative) stand-alone type of show, even if it does harken back to Holmes' back story.

I agree that Oscar's behavior was sadly realistic.  I half wondered if he would pick up the paper once Sherlock was out of sight but sadly he didn't...

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

As far as the violence went, aside from the gruesome attack on Sherlock by the victim's brother, it was actually all off screen, and I really had to think hard about the last time I saw a show of this type that showed neither a murder being committed nor a dead body.  (The last one I remember was one of the  original Perry Mason shows, when a character not even introduced is killed completely off screen and never shown).  So in a way I think it intensified that the drama in this one was almost all psychological...

Yes, and I too appreciate the lack of visual gratuitous gore, but whether we see it or not, it is all psychological when it is fictional (or even a memory of the real), and there was too much dwelling on that for me in this episode--plus too much of Sherlock being miserable.

...I loved that haunting string music they played over the scene where Sherlock tells Joan he's been accused.  It was very strange yet moving....

It was both noticeable and effective, which is not all that common of a combination.

...I agree that Oscar's behavior was sadly realistic.  I half wondered if he would pick up the paper once Sherlock was out of sight but sadly he didn't...

I still hope he did pick it up off screen.

I loved this episode.  JLM was amazing.  His choice to not look Watson in the eye when they discussed it in the kitchen initially was very telling, I thought. 

"Because I know you."  "Yes, better than anyone. But you don't know HIM!"    Superb.

My favorite scene was when the three of them, sans Sherlock, went to confront the politician. You could see how much they were enjoying putting the screws to the guy.  Awesome.

• Love 3
(edited)
My favorite scene was when the three of them, sans Sherlock, went to confront the politician. You could see how much they were enjoying putting the screws to the guy.  Awesome.

"Putting screws to the guy" is a great way to explain that scene that has become a trope on this show.  I can't imagine real killers sitting still for it, and I wonder if it messes up things for the prosecutor of the ensuing trial, but I bet they are fun to film, they are certainly fun to watch.

My favorite scene was when Gregson leaves Sherlock alone in the interrogation room, a very early scene, and we watched Sherlock alone with his thoughts.  It is quite a long pause by today's television standards.  JLM conveys so much by the movement of his left cheek, watch it again, it is masterful.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

No--the cops said at the start of the episode that while Maria had gone missing 3 years previously, they had JUST found the body the previous week, and the note was on the body. My guess is that when Joan and Sherlock showed up at the councilman's office, he felt that being anything less than 100% willing to work with them (on the surface) might set off some red flags. Maybe he was also confident that, since it hadn't yet been pinned on him and they were looking at Sherlock, he could afford to seem helpful.

Thanks stealinghome. I forgot that the cops said they just found the body a few days ago. Makes the anger from Maria's sister and brother even more believeable, as they would have to relieve the anger and hurt over Maria's death once again.

And yeah, the councilman guy was trying to direct suspiscion to that other campaign help guy whoever who was fired.

And yes. I do appreciate a gratuitous shot (or ten) of JLM's tattooed torso, so keep 'em coming.

I second that motion! I assume those are JLM own real tattoos, correct?

(edited)
I second that motion! I assume those are JLM own real tattoos, correct?

I believe they are.  The one on his left back near the shoulder includes the word "sister."  I would love for the writers to work that into an episode.

Edited by MaryHedwig
I assume those are JLM own real tattoos, correct?

Yes, they are. I think the one that has "sister" in it is ribbon style, starting with "Mother, Father, Brother, Sister". He also has  a 26.2 tat, which is the length of a marathon (which he often runs, usually for charities).

My favorite scene was when Gregson leaves Sherlock alone in the interrogation room, a very early scene, and we watched Sherlock alone with his thoughts.  It is quite a long pause by today's television standards.

That's quite true, and I've noticed that in this show before. Most shows are terrified of silent, non-movement. Elementary is brave to use it well.

Most of what I would have said has already been covered. I did like how Sherlock looked very nice, if not handsome, in the beginning of the ep, but gradually got a bit more ragged as the show progresses and his past was confronting him. The change wasn't physical, just the manic intensity got ratcheted up.

I also liked how Joan continued to tap into Marcus as a resource, even when Sherlock wanted to not use the PD (I think that was what happened when Joan asked Marcus to screen the soup kitchen regulars for criminal backgrounds).

I also liked how Joan continued to tap into Marcus as a resource, even when Sherlock wanted to not use the PD.

I didn't think that Sherlock did not want Marcus' help, I just think Sherlock thought he could not avail himself of that help.  Then again, maybe he was just surprised that Marcus cared enough to jump in and help/ or maybe he was surprised that Marcus cared enough to possibly risk his job or reputation to help.

So you certainly may be right, I didn't read it that way, but I read it three different other ways so you see I am not sure what exactly to believe.

I thought it was because Joan was investigating on her own, and asked Marcus for help. Sherlock had to stay out because he was a person of interest, but Joan was completely free to investigate, with Marcus helping on the sly. Also, they couldn't see the files of the other detectives, but they were pursuing other leads and so didn't necessarily need to include the other detectives, either.

After the suggestion that this would have been better as a two part episode, I really wish they had. The episode felt rushed at the end. Other than that, I really appreciate that the show treats us like adults who can understand that life is not black and white. That we are capable of understanding that an addict like Oscar is not going to go to rehab. And as simplistic as "Drugs are bad, mmmkay?" can sound, I'm grateful that it shows how long lasting and devastating the effects can be. 

Finally, kudos to JLM. I really am enjoying his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. 

He was having an affair with some woman and tried to break it off; he ended up stabbing her then went back to the office in his bloody clothes, took them off and put them in a dumpster. Maria saw him and took the clothes, knowing something bad must have happened, then went to Sherlock for help.  The councilman found out she took the clothes and killed her too.   Sherlock wrote a note to her on a napkin and it was found on her body. 

If I missed anything or got something wrong, please feel free to correct  my explanation.

It was implied that Sherlock put Maria up at one of his "safe-houses" -- "She went to [some hotel] ; you've used said hotel to stash people" -- but she left before he could see her.

That seems awfully shady. Sherlock is requested to come in by the captain. He has every reason that he is there in his usual capacity as a consultant. That the 3 5 guys and especially Gregson didn't tell him he was brought in as a suspect reeks of entrapment and is all kinds of fucked up. In short, Gregson is now on my shit list for not giving Sherlock a head's-up..

Not me, because Gregson and Holmes have used the "ask a few questions" to interrogate someone themselves.  Holmes knew this was standard police procedure, and that Gregson actually ended it early (but not Jubal Early)!

• Love 2
Not me, because Gregson and Holmes have used the "ask a few questions" to interrogate someone themselves.  Holmes knew this was standard police procedure, and that Gregson actually ended it early (but not Jubal Early)!

Gregson also made a point of saying that he couldn't give Sherlock a heads-up precisely because they work together--in the next scene, Gregson said something like "Because it's you, we have to do everything 500% by the book, so I couldn't give you a heads-up." Which I get, so Gregson's actions didn't really bother me (and I thought that was his version of an apology).

• Love 2

Not me, because Gregson and Holmes have used the "ask a few questions" to interrogate someone themselves.  Holmes knew this was standard police procedure, and that Gregson actually ended it early (but not Jubal Early)!

First, kudos on the Jubal Early reference (and the others who made it before you)....however....when your random person is brought in to be "ask[ed] a few questions", they know they are there because they may have knowledge of that specific crime. Sherlock was brought in under the pretense of his usual work as a consultant. Not fair play.

Gregson also made a point of saying that he couldn't give Sherlock a heads-up precisely because they work together--in the next scene, Gregson said something like "Because it's you, we have to do everything 500% by the book, so I couldn't give you a heads-up." Which I get, so Gregson's actions didn't really bother me (and I thought that was his version of an apology).

I'll have to rewatch, but I don't recall Gregson ever saying a thing about it, shy of cutting the interrogation short. Sherlock was the only one I recall absolving Gregson (to Joan).