Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cms

Tennis Thread

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Anyone else getting up super early to see Novaxx lose in the morning? #ABN

It's an all-nighter on the west coast. I'll watch the replay in the morning if Novaxx loses. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's an all-nighter on the west coast. I'll watch the replay in the morning if Novaxx loses. 

Oops...you forgot to add #ABN! Don’t jinx it! Keep the karma flowing!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Oops...you forgot to add #ABN! Don’t jinx it! Keep the karma flowing!

With me, #ABN is always implied. 😁

• Laugh 3

That was a big disappointment. Not just Novaxx winning , but it wasn't much of a battle. 

• Like 5

Disappointing finals. Med needs to realize he can't out grind Novak. I was kind of hoping Med would go full-on US Open Evil Med and unleash some supervillain fire power, but no. Then he was gracious to Novak during his speech. Bleh! 

Watching replays on ESPN sucks! When you start the video it tells you how long the match is, which pretty much ruins it, like, the final was a 2 1/2 hour long video, and Novak wins the first set, ergo he's winning the match in 3 sets. I wish they would get a clue!!! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Then he was gracious to Novak during his speech. Bleh! 

I have no issues with that because the last thing I want, is any reason for Novak to further play the victim by his fans declaring people are mean to him. I am always okay with players being gracious in defeat.

I only watched the first two sets before going back to bed, as I saw where this was going. And from what I watched, it just seemed to me that two things happened - one, Medvedev's entire game seemed to depend on his serve. And once the serve fell apart towards the latter part of the first set, nothing else seemed to work. And two, his style seemed more erratic, almost nervous energy, in a way I don't really recall seeing from Medvedev before.

It was in my opinion, a big reason why so many of his usually easy shots kept flying long. He was just pushing too hard and going for way too much. And the more frustrated he got as the match was slipping from him, the worse it got. Definitely an unfortunately disappointing final that had the potential to be good. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Watching replays on ESPN sucks! When you start the video it tells you how long the match is, which pretty much ruins it, like, the final was a 2 1/2 hour long video, and Novak wins the first set, ergo he's winning the match in 3 sets. I wish they would get a clue!!! 

Its tough for a sport like tennis where you can figure it out by the amount of time. This is particularly true of a 5 set match tournament. One of my recordings didn't work so I watched the rerun on ESPN & told Mr. Khyber before hand that it would probably spoil me once the first set or two were over. Oh well.

• Like 1

Looks like I can get back to rooting against Coco V this week.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Just found out that Fox Sports West is also showing matches from Miami.

• Like 1

There have been a couple of stops and starts, but Gael and Elina just announced their engagement on instagram. Congratulations to them!

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

7 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

There have been a couple of stops and starts, but Gael and Elina just announced their engagement on instagram. Congratulations to them!

Wow, I thought they had just recently announced a breakup.  I'm not on social media, I only care about what happens on the tennis court, but congratulations to them.   

Edited by Crashcourse

I really thought there was no way that I could hate a player more than Coco V. or Danielle Collins.  I guess that's why they say, "Never say never."

Fucking Kenin went through every bag of cheating tricks she had today, trying to best Lauren Davis and IT DIDN'T WORK!

That bitch leaves the court like clockwork whenever she drops a set and none of the commentators ever call her on that shit.  After that didn't work, she calls for a medical timeout and leaves the court AGAIN.

I nearly lost it when she reeled off 3 straight games to tie up the 3rd because I really thought she had Davis rattled.  And instead of calling it out to be the cheating, unsportsmanlike behavior that it is, Austin just praised her for "calming down" and "getting her head back."

I mean, those women players are better than me.  I'd call her out in front of the Umpire and the audience if she pulled that shit on me.  And I'd gladly pay whatever fine they hit me with for speaking the truth.

• Like 4

Toni Nadal is joining Felix Auger-Aliassime's coaching team. It's kind of hilariously interesting they're officially starting the partnership during the clay season, i.e. Rafa's season.

This doesn't surprise me too much because I did think it'd be interesting if Toni came onboard to help Felix when he visited Rafa's Academy to train for a week. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts or how it works since Toni maintains that his primary focus is still being the Director of the Academy. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1

I have to confess I'm not a big fan of  Father/Daughter coaching in the WTA. 

Caveat: there maybe some glorious exceptions I'm overlooking..

From Stefano Capriati down to today's  Paterfamilias  Kenin, and Gauff there's to me this pattern of seeming controlling /unhealthy balance of family dynamics, plus the implied message  ad nauseum  that *only* Father Coach knows their daughters well enough to make them successful in tennis  and in some cases an almost pathological desire to infer they  are the only legit coach the player has.  (Monica Seles, etc.)    

The worst cases are well documented, such as Aravane Rezai , Jim Pierce, Damir Dokic, Mirjana Lucic's dad, etc,    but even lesser cases such as Marion Bartoli's dad  quitting his medical profession to guide her career fulltime struck me as creepy, especially when Marion told him to leave the stadium on several occasions.

My one somewhat qualified exception was Richard Williams who, for all his quirks, stated  early that the goal was to make his daughters self sufficient and successful enough that they wouldn't need him around anymore , which eventually happened and he exited stage left.  (Add his health issues and divorce from Oracene)   Plus the Williams sisters eschewed the oh so  common practice of looking incessantly at the coaches/parents box for validation/affirmation.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Like 4