Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, khyber said:

Don't know why the O2 Arena games seem so dead.  Is it just an issue of inside vs outside? 

Well it doesn't look quite as dead as the Paris Masters was.  Some announcer said the venue looked like they were playing at a Costco.  It was bleak. 

Didn't even know it was happening, but caught Nadal/Tsitsipas today. It is kind of sad, being so quiet and dark. Not even some sunshine to lighten the mood. PLUS having to listen to a couple hours of Brad Gilbertson's lame attempts to coin phrases for everything and everyone! 

On 11/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, khyber said:

Don't know why the O2 Arena games seem so dead.  Is it just an issue of inside vs outside? 

I mean maybe it's me but I'm guessing it's probably because there's really no one in the stands owing to the pandemic. The arena is no different to me than it's been the last few years regarding the darkness and general look. It's just plainly obvious that no one's there to watch other than the players' team. 

I've actually enjoyed quite a few of the matches - Rafa/Thiem was really good and it was fascinating to watch Medvedev annihilate Djokovic. Btw, I just love how Novak's fans' latest line for any loss is, 'Novak already secured the Year End #1, so he's not really trying or cares". Okay, sure.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Kyrgios calls Djokovic a tool for protesting Australian Open's quarantine rules.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/30736773/tennis-kyrgios-hits-tool-djokovic-tense-australian-open-build-continues

I just read that article! What the heck is going on when Nick Kyrgios is the voice of reason?

Also, Tomic' girlfriend can fuck right off a cliff. People are dying and this twat is complaining because she can't get her hair done? 

I'm not busting out my violin for any of the players. A two-week quarantine with the potential of earning 3 million bucks is hardly cause for complaint.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, caracas1914 said:

Poor Novak,   "Woe Is Me" must be his middle name.  "Victim" is definitely his last name.

Novak's got quite the Messiah complex, doesn't he? 

He's also full of crap. The players complained about the quarantine, accomodations, food, housekeeping and preferential treatment given to the big names. 

From what I've read, the backlash in Australia has been huge. I'm not surprised he's scrambling to change the narrative.

• Love 1

Boy Rafa's getting a lot of praise for his interview. People in Australia are showering him with love for being so wise and empathetic about what they've gone through and he's not complaining about the restrictions. Europe has seen the interview now and the praise is starting to roll in, and I imagine it will start shortly in North America too.

It was a good interview but that's not surprising. Rafa is such a caring person and with a good interviewer like Christianne Amanpour, she can draw that out of him with her questions. My only gripe, and it's a little one, is that Rafa's accent was so strong it was hard to understand him sometimes but that's what always happens when he comes back from a long stretch at home in Spain where he hasn't spoken much English.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shok said:

Boy Rafa's getting a lot of praise for his interview. People in Australia are showering him with love for being so wise and empathetic about what they've gone through and he's not complaining about the restrictions. Europe has seen the interview now and the praise is starting to roll in, and I imagine it will start shortly in North America too.

It was a good interview but that's not surprising. Rafa is such a caring person and with a good interviewer like Christianne Amanpour, she can draw that out of him with her questions. My only gripe, and it's a little one, is that Rafa's accent was so strong it was hard to understand him sometimes but that's what always happens when he comes back from a long stretch at home in Spain where he hasn't spoken much English.

I’m not sure if this was filmed before or after Novak’s list of complaints. It’s pretty easy to follow behind petulance and sound reasonable, but Rafa is by all accounts a pretty humble guy who is grateful for his talent and all that he has achieved.

I enjoyed his Twitter cake-baking videos last year, and just liked that he knew his way around the kitchen. Also enjoyed him playing lazy tennis with his sister, using patio chairs as a net.

I also fully understand why Roger didn’t want to either be away from his kids for a full month, or bring 4 kids to quarantine in a hotel room. But Roger didn’t lodge a complaint about the restrictions, just say, “Nah, I’m out.” He also probably wanted more time to heal.

I want Novak out in the first round. I want it so much. 

• Love 7

Oh, I like this article. It says a lot about both Rafa and Uncle Toni. 🙂

Rafael Nadal: The most admirable athlete in the world

WILL SWANTON
Follow @WillSwanton

I was a bit hungover after a night of cheap red wine at a cheap Paris cafe when I walked along the path between Court Philippe Chatrier and Court 1 at Roland Garros. Toni Nadal came round the corner, nodding his head, shaking hands in those glory days for humanity when such a connection was still allowed. Si, si, si, Toni said. We can talk now.

Pardon the French, but oh, shit. I’d been asking Toni for an interview all week. Got time for a chat? You can rip into Roger Federer. The old flake! You can give it to Novak Djokovic. What a bloody pest! Anything you like.

Neither of those suggestions raised a chuckle from Toni. I said I just wanted him to talk about Rafa and what made him tick with all those nervous tics. Toni had finally relented and said, “OK, tomorrow.” Tomorrow was today but it was all rather genant because of my hopelessly dishevelled state

Didn’t have a pen. I was searching my pockets when Toni gave me a stern look. And then he laughed. And then he put a hand on my shoulder. And then he said, “Are you prepared for the tournament?” I grinned in a village idiot sort of way and said words to the effect of, mate, I’m not playing, what’s there to prepare for? He said, “Your job.” He gave a disapproving look up there with the one my dear dad fired my way when he realised I was pinching his work pens and selling them at primary school for a dollar a pop. (Made a significant sum).

Toni had a quick rant about everyone having a job to do at the French Open. Players. Officials. Coaches. Journalists. Everyone should try to do it right, he said. He said Rafa’s job was no more important than anyone else’s, which I thought was plain wrong — the number one thing at any sporting event is the athlete. The rest of us are just hangers-on. But I took his point. If you were going to be a journo, you might as well try to be a decent one.

Having a pen might make a promising start. I reckon I’ve always had one since then but more importantly, I reckon Toni unwittingly gave an insight into how he drove “Rafael” from juniors to all-time greatness. What has Nadal always done? He’s done everything right.

All this was brought to mind by Nadal’s interview on CNN this week about COVID-19 restrictions. He was polite. Empathetic. Sensible. Sincere. I found it rather touching. He plays his first match of the year on Friday night against Dominic Thiem in the A Day At The Drive exhibition in Adelaide. What a glorious line-up to kickstart February’s January of tennis. A month of tournaments to be squeezed into three weeks.

There is no player more exceptional and praiseworthy than Nadal. Never has there been a thrown racquet. The only blow-up I can think of was when he asked an umpire at Wimbledon, “What has happened to you?” Off the court, a gentleman. He doesn’t have the natural flair of Federer but he’s worked his backside off to win as many majors. I cannot think of a single point that he has not thrown himself into with 100 per cent commitment.

The line-up in Adelaide could pass as semi-finals day at a major. Novak Djokovic versus rising Italian Jannik Sinner from 1pm, followed by Serena Williams against Naomi Osaka. Nadal versus Dominic Thiem at 7pm, followed by Ash Barty against Simona Halep.

Nadal will play the Adelaide exhibition with the intensity of a slam. Guaranteed. There’s some good stuff coming at the Open. Barty’s campaign will be a thing of beauty. There’s something about that young woman that goes beyond the tennis. Williams’ pursuit of the 24 majors of Margaret Court, OAM, will be typically dramatic. Alex de Minaur can have a mighty Open if he avoids Nadal, Djokovic and Thiem until very late in the draw. Everyone else is beatable. But it’s Nadal I will view with utter fascination and awe. For the 17 years of sincere and unwavering effort. When I can find a pen, he’ll get my vote as the most admirable athlete in the world. What exactly has he always done right? His job.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/rafael-nadal-the-most-admirable-athlete-in-the-world/news-story/60bfee2e5b8e7380ff3709c72c0665ba

• Love 5

I love that tennis is starting up with the Aussie, but being in Eastern Standard Time, I keep forgetting to check the scores.

I love Serena’s outfit. 

I did wake up to see Rafa rolled over Fognini. I hope my TV recorded that and I can watch tonight. 

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I love that tennis is starting up with the Aussie, but being in Eastern Standard Time, I keep forgetting to check the scores.

I love Serena’s outfit. 

I did wake up to see Rafa rolled over Fognini. I hope my TV recorded that and I can watch tonight. 

It's on right now. 

I am liking Serena's outfit too, although would probably like it more if it was either short pant or long pant verus one of each.

Wow, Thiem looked like he was just broken by that Kurious match. 

It was so great to see spectators and hear them cheer. Bummed that it is back to empty arenas now. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, Thiem looked like he was just broken by that Kurious match. 

Clearly, seeing the way he lost in straight sets right after. 

21 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

It was so great to see spectators and hear them cheer. Bummed that it is back to empty arenas now. 

Based on the 5 day lockdown, supposedly the spectators will be back for the Finals or it might be the Semi-Finals. 

I have been following the tournament but it's mostly been the scores. As Danny Glover would say in Lethal Weapon - "I'm getting too old for this shit:". My years of staying up to watch the big matches and working the next day are over. Can't do it. I catch highlights when I can during the day and any match that's before midnight, I can make it. Anything after that, I'm out. 

Cautiously optimistic about Rafa. He's looked okay considering the back injury but I can't see him beating Medvedev if he's not a hundred percent. And that's if he even gets past Tsitsipas. As for Djokovic, eh. I guess he has some injury situation judging by how many sets he's dropped so far but I still think the Australian Open gods hate me and he'll still win. 

Excited for Simona vs Serena. Also, speaking of Serena, her match against Sabalenka was the first time I truly got to experience Sabalenka. It wasn't a pleasant experience. What an annoying woman. And yes I say woman, because I was sick of the commentators excusing her bratty screeching with "oh she's only 22". 

I like Naomi but was really bummed that Muguruza had that epic choke at the end. 

• Love 1

So I woke up at 4:30, checked the score and Rafa was up 2 sets to love against Tsitsipas. Figured I'd wake up in the morning to this one long done. Apparently not. And now Tsitsipas is about to serve for the match.

Well since I was fast asleep, can't even figure out how he let this one get away from him but oh well. Tsitsipas can now join the very, very short list of people who came from 2 sets down against Rafa. Luckily my expectations for him this Australian Open was nil, so eh. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

You don't think Karatsev has a chance to take ND out? I kinda do at this point.

We can only hope. I don't know anything about Karatsev beyond what I've seen in the AO to know if he has the goods to take out Novaxx. 

• Love 1

At this point nothing about Karatsev would surprise me.  He seems to just keep finding a way to win when on paper (and in the first set or so) there'd seem to be no chance. He is totally playing with house money and has nothing to loose - no pressure or expectations.  That can be exciting and dangerous for an opponent.

Serena's outfit is Nike's nod to Florence Griffith Joyner who was a very famous track stare who sadly died early.   I generally like the idea of the outfit and the pattern I just don't find it flattering but if Serena likes and and is moving well in it I'm all for it.  

• Love 1

I think it's safe to say at this point that Naomi has Serena's number. Not saying that Serena can't beat her but it'll not be easy. Naomi is the first formidable foe Serena's faced in a long time. I'm also happy that Naomi is continuing to prove that she's the real deal, at least on hard court. 

And no surprise, Djokovic is back in the Finals. Well it is what it is. Interested to see who comes out of the Medvedev/Tsitsipas semifinal. My money's on Medvedev if he keeps playing the way he has. And interestingly, many predicted him to win if Djokovic didn't take the title again. 

• Love 2

I can’t believe how quickly Naomi is able to unfurl her powerful groundies.  It looks as though Serena has hit a screaming shot that at best will handcuff NO, but then she whips it back even faster.

And I didn’t look at the stats, but the commentary was that Naomi’s stats were about the same as Serena’s.

Also, they kept saying that Serena had never played someone with comparable power and athleticism, but what about Venus in her prime?  She wasn’t as spectacular a mover as little sis (although pretty damn great!), but wasn’t she just about as powerful?

I was totally rooting for Naomi.  I’m a sucker for a great athlete who’s a stone killer in battle but is a lovely person away from the court.

Also, I LOVED the catsuit, except for the awkwardly placed black section across the bust that made the bust look as though it fit all wrong.

Naomi’s outfit is a disaster.

I also hated those “bib” dresses by ... Adidas?  (Halep wore one)  They were unflattering on every single player.

Praying that Medvedev beats Tsitsipas easily.  I think he could possibly beat Novax Djocovid (ABD train - all aboard!), but not if he has a grueling semi with Stefanos.  (Who looks like he could have been painted by Vermeer!) 

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Praying that Medvedev beats Tsitsipas easily.  I think he could possibly beat Novax Djocovid (ABD train - all aboard!), but not if he has a grueling semi with Stefanos.

I've got my ABD ticket in the observation car of the train. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Harry24 said:

they kept saying that Serena had never played someone with comparable power and athleticism, but what about Venus in her prime?  She wasn’t as spectacular a mover as little sis (although pretty damn great!), but wasn’t she just about as powerful?

I think of Venus's game as a fairly different style to Serena's. Whereas Naomi's and Serena's style of play are fairly similar. I think that's what they really mean, there wasn't someone who was both the same style player and at the same level.

• Love 1

Okay Medvedev, time to prove all the pundits who picked you to win this thing, right.

The women’s finals could be interesting as long as both players keep it together. Brady looks hungry but Naomi has this steely confidence that combined with her game, can be tough to beat. 

• Love 6