Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

wonder how much the press is going to make of that non-challenge by Jennifer Brady when she got broken and Naomi went up 3-1 in the third.  The TV commentators were great at calling up the review and pointing out that the linesman made a mistake and Brady's shot was in... and that she should have known to have challenged.  I guess that's her inexperience.  It made a huge difference.  If Brady had held, then they are on serve and who knows.  I am sure that Brady will be kicking herself about this for a long time.

What happened? Did Brady get a bad call?

Yeah it was a break point for Osaka to go up 3-1 in the second, and her coach literally told her to challenge and Brady didn't. Then the booth showed it to the TV audience and it was juuuust barely in (had been called out). So it should've been deuce, not 3-1 at that point. Although since coaching isn't allowed I sort of hate how the box tells players whether or not to challenge, still if Brady had, the game and match might've gone differently.

Yeah  Serena's quality has dipped a bit and Vika has been really trying to pump herself up and hitting her shots a lot cleaner. 

eta: Now on a shallow note, I will need someone to explain Vika's hairstyle to me. I know it's been her look for every match, so maybe it's a luck thing but yeah what's going on there. It looks like she literally got out of bed and didn't bother brushing her hair, made two small braids, pinned it up and left the rest just messy and wild. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • LOL 1

She's been wearing her hair that way for a couple of years as far as I remember. Possibly not for every single match in the past few years, but that's been a pretty standard Vika 'do for a while.

Oh how I have NOT missed her owl noises on every shot.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Oh how I have NOT missed her owl noises on every shot.

This is a fantastic match!  And I don't even know how to express these sounds from both women in words.  This match is what the late Bud Collins (RIP) would describe as a "grunt lover's dream".  You've got Vika with her high pitched "uh-whhhHHHOOOOOOO" which rises in pitch and then Serena with her loud guttural constant pitch "UHHHHHHHHHH".

I miss Bud Collins.  He loved the Eastern European names and loved saying the full names as they rolled off his tongue and I can hear his voice saying "Victoria Azarenka!" a lot during this match.

• Love 4

I'm happy for Vika. It's been a long, tough road for her to get back to this position. I know some Serena fans will mention the ankle thing but I don't buy that. I think Serena's form dipped a bit after the first set and Vika was the fitter of the two at the end. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm happy for Vika. It's been a long, tough road for her to get back to this position. I know some Serena fans will mention the ankle thing but I don't buy that. I think Serena's form dipped a bit after the second set and Vika was the fitter of the two at the end. 

Vika had a much easier match yesterday. That certainly helped her in the third set.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It begs the question why they did not choose to use electronic linecalling on the big stadiums too.

There's a lot I don't like about this article, but I'll post it because it purports to answer your question. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/sports/tennis/us-open-hawk-eye-live-novak-djokovic.html

14 hours ago, Hudson0325 said:

I found this Aussie guy on twitter calling the match.

usopen.org has U.S. Open Radio if you click "listen live."

• Love 1

Oh Serena Serena.   I don't know if this makes any sense but I kind of wish if she weren't going to win the tournament she would go out in an early round.  Seeing her get to the semis or finals and not win - it's heartbreaking being that close then being denied.  I don't know that she's ever going to get 24. I think it's just too much emotionally for her to overcome and while she still plays great it's easier for other players to beat her.  She used to be able to knock everyone off the court with her power but now a lot of women can hit as hard as she can and her movement isn't as good as a lot of the others she really can't stay in long rallies.  She's still the GOAT of course.   She played this semi match the best she's played in awhile but she did have a few dips and Vika just crushed it.  I don't know who to route for in Vika v Naomi. I like them both and it should be a really competitive match.  

On the men's side - who's playing again? 🙂  

• Love 5

I think she will get there. Her serve this tournament was WAY better than I've seen it since she came back. For me it was less depressing that it was the semis than if it'd been another lost final. But I'm glad she didn't go out earlier also because frankly she could use the ranking points.

Tonight is Carreno Busta/ Zverev and then Medvedev/Thiem.

• Love 2

Has Serena said yet if she's playing the French Open?  I don't think I would this year if I were her especially with the rise in cases in Paris and it doesn't sound like it'll be as safe for the players as the US Open was. I know her health was a concern for her re Covid with the Open.

In her after game interview, Serena said she will be in Paris. She blamed the loss on Vika making shots she normally doesn't make, which came off as both a compliment and a diss. 

"I think she started playing really, really well. Like, she just started getting balls that she normally doesn't get back, she got those back. She started hitting shots that she normally doesn't make, she made those. She just really stepped her level up." .... "When she's playing against me, she just lifts her level to unseen levels."

Then there was this gem:

"Yeah, I mean, I always -- she's had a lot of, I would say, downs in her career. She started on a lot of highs. I don't know. I don't know how she stayed positive, to be honest, so... That's a good lesson for all of us."

21 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

In her after game interview, Serena said she will be in Paris. She blamed the loss on Vika making shots she normally doesn't make, which came off as both a compliment and a diss. 

"I think she started playing really, really well. Like, she just started getting balls that she normally doesn't get back, she got those back. She started hitting shots that she normally doesn't make, she made those. She just really stepped her level up." .... "When she's playing against me, she just lifts her level to unseen levels."

Then there was this gem:

"Yeah, I mean, I always -- she's had a lot of, I would say, downs in her career. She started on a lot of highs. I don't know. I don't know how she stayed positive, to be honest, so... That's a good lesson for all of us."

So same old Serena. 😁

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Then there was this gem:

I don't see those comments as a diss at all.  I see Serena's comments as acknowledgement that Vika really upped her game for this match.  It's pretty much just saying "I thought I had the point but she was unbelievable, I can't believe she made that shot".  Aren't the two of them good friends?  They are obviously rivals, but one of the things I love about tennis is that the sport is so small, at the top level you get used to seeing the same people all the time, and it's natural to form friendships.  Women's tennis in particular seems to have more of the tight friendships than men's.  Serena and Woz.  Radwanska having some of her rivals/friends as bridesmaids and basically inviting every Polish tennis player to her wedding.   I hardly think Serena would be purposely mocking or putting down her friend.

As for the last comment, I agree with it completely... the injuries, the child custody case, etc.  Again, I think Serena is speaking as her friend and I see nothing but admiration there.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

As for the last comment, I agree with it completely... the injuries, the child custody case, etc.  Again, I think Serena is speaking as her friend and I see nothing but admiration there.

And to be fair, Vika herself has talked about coming very close about 7 months ago, to just giving it all up and walking away professionally from the sport. Yeah I'm not Serena's biggest fan either and I do think she can and has had dismissive comments about her opponents in post-match conferences but I didn't see it here. I feel like rather than make excuses for her loss, she acknowledged that essentially Vika was just too tough at the end. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

This is why I cannot be a Sasha fan. You just never know what you are gonna get. 

He's about to win the third set, but I agree.  He was playing terribly the first two sets and I get annoyed watching his frustration at himself.  I guess this is a big contrast after watching someone like Vika last night who almost always appears calm and focused.  Even when she was getting crushed in the first set, she didn't give up.  Whereas it clearly showed on Zverev's face.

Interesting she said she'd be in Paris. I thought it was only maybe a week ago she said she wasn't sure, and pretty much implied "they're allowing fans, so no". 

I was under the impression Zverev had complained a couple years ago about media calling him "Sascha" on air and in publications, saying they were being overly familiar and only his family could call him that?

Damn! What a comeback. I watched the first 2 sets at work and Zverez looked asleep. I left early in the 3rd, got home and took the dog to the park for a walk. When I got back I checked and it was just at the end of the 4th. I followed on twitter after that. Hey- thanks for recommending US Open Radio. That’s what I will do. Upgrading ESPN will cost about 30 bucks and I’m not paying that for the last couple matches.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Damn. Sasha is going to win this thing. 

Good for him for coming back, but I'm not a fan.  I also don't care for Medvedev, so at this point, it's Thiem or bust for me.

I'm happy with either Vika or Naomi winning.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I fully understand that women giving birth and then playing tennis is not in the same universe as men fathering children and then playing tennis, and yet “this matchup of mothers” still sounds so irritating.

USA Today: The problem with ESPN's hollow motherhood references during the U.S. Open

2 minutes ago, Hudson0325 said:

Hey- thanks for recommending US Open Radio. That’s what I will do. Upgrading ESPN will cost about 30 bucks and I’m not paying that for the last couple matches.

Glad to help! I've used it before when I haven't had another option.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Damn. Sasha is going to win this thing. 

Not if he starts like that against either Thiem or Medvedev. I don't see either of these guys allowing Zverev back into the match if he digs himself that big a hole against them. I guess anything is possible but don't see it. 

Now if he comes out firing from the start, then sure, I can see him pulling off the win. 

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Good lord... is this woman serious?  I was in agreement with her for the first part of the article... the constant "Mom on a Mission" remarks were obvious.  But then she turns this into a rant about how childbirth is dangerous and how the ESPN commentators should have made mention of the fact that tens of thousands of women are injured during childbirth?  Or the fact that their constant mention of moms was a deliberate snub against women with fertility problems?  Get real.  The part about how Serena almost died because of the racist health care system... my eyes couldn't roll back far enough.  I'm not sure whether there's even any kind of semblance of truth to that statement.  But regardless, certainly the commentators aren't going to use their airtime to launch into a systemic attack on the health care system and how MOTHERHOOD IS HARD, y'all, and that it's not fair to those who can't be moms.

I watch tennis to be entertained and to marvel at the athleticism and determination of the athletes.  Not to be lectured about the difficulties of being a woman.  This is an awful article.

• Love 2

Congrats to Thiem for making another Slam final. I did pick him to win, though I thought it'd have gone to 5. This was definitely not Medvedev at his best but credit to Dominic who was relentless at times. Was my pick to win it all once the idiot got defaulted and so I'm sticking with him. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

Good lord... is this woman serious?  I was in agreement with her for the first part of the article... the constant "Mom on a Mission" remarks were obvious.  But then she turns this into a rant about how childbirth is dangerous and how the ESPN commentators should have made mention of the fact that tens of thousands of women are injured during childbirth?  Or the fact that their constant mention of moms was a deliberate snub against women with fertility problems?  Get real.  The part about how Serena almost died because of the racist health care system... my eyes couldn't roll back far enough.  I'm not sure whether there's even any kind of semblance of truth to that statement.  But regardless, certainly the commentators aren't going to use their airtime to launch into a systemic attack on the health care system and how MOTHERHOOD IS HARD, y'all, and that it's not fair to those who can't be moms.

I watch tennis to be entertained and to marvel at the athleticism and determination of the athletes.  Not to be lectured about the difficulties of being a woman.  This is an awful article.

I hate everything about valuing a woman based on whether or not she shoved a baby out of her body or not.  I would like it if tennis never mentioned whether any player male or female had ever procreated.

However Serena did almost die because of a racist health care system.  That's factually correct.

• Love 14

Thiem/Med was like power and determination against a steely chessmaster. I kept waiting for Med to put some brilliant new plan into action, but nothing he did made much of a difference. Thiem was positively pulsing with "I WILL WIN" energy, so I knew there was no way he was going to lose. Med even remarked about this in his interview.

I think Med needs to hire Zverev's fitness coach and put on 20 pounds of muscle like Sascha did. He's gonna need that power to win slams. 

I hope Sascha makes the final a good one. He can't take two sets to warm up, that's for sure.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

However Serena did almost die because of a racist health care system.  That's factually correct.

I'd add that the healthcare system is sexist as well as racist, so Serena almost died because of that particular double whammy.

• Love 10

Great match.  Commentator jinxed Vika when he said that no woman has won the US Open in 25 years after losing the first set.  

Vika had her chances in the third though.  She got that break back and was serving to tie it at 4-4 but then got broken.  Still, she should be proud of herself to have gotten this far.

I am happy for both of them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Vika had her chances in the third though.  She got that break back and was serving to tie it at 4-4 but then got broken.  Still, she should be proud of herself to have gotten this far.

I felt like Vika started rushing and going for too much, once Osaka got her game together, which naturally led to her spraying balls and mis-hitting all over the court. But definitely a great comeback for her and hopefully she builds on it with the French. 

Osaka has definitely now proven she's the real deal. 

• Love 2

Wow, I was expecting a good match! I think more than any sport that I watch regularly, this major in particular shows how important the fans are to players in the tennis world, either positively or negatively. I guess golf is the other sport I watch that is not a team sport. Not that Thiem’s issues today are all fan-related, but I am really surprised at how this is going.

Of course, after I posted this, Thiem wakes up! Good to see! I don’t care who wins, just want a good match.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1

YMMV, I don't think this has anything to do with the lack of spectators. I just think Thiem is living through every player's absolute worse nightmare - having a really bad on-court day. And that day just happens to be the Finals of a Grand Slam. 

He's just having a really off day. His serves are not as sharp or landing where he needs them to. He's had moments and flashes but it's not been great and he's just mis-hitting all over the place. All Zverev has had to do is control his serve and remain steady. 

But hey, the fat lady hasn't sung yet. Medvedev came back from two sets and a break down to almost winning, last year. If ever there was a time for Dominic to dig DEEP, this would be it. \

eta: See, like I said, the fat lady hasn't sung yet. We're going to a fifth. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Well damn, I said dig deep Dominic and you did. Cramping and wobbling all the way to the end. That was impressive. I think he's also now the first player to come back from two sets down to either win any Grand Slam final or just the US Open title.

Sucks for Zverev because he played a strong match and he had his chances. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3