Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Tiafoe has no answers for Med. The all Russian quarter should be good. 

Taking nothing away from Medvedev, who was always going to be a tough challenge for Tiafoe but yeah, no, I have to agree with the commentators on this one that Tiafoe seemed to just give up in the middle of the second set. That last set was embarrassing. He just seemed like he plain stopped trying.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Oh, Foe, that was depressing.  WTF?

Seriously, is he known for lack of fighting spirit?

Although, honestly, I don’t care who wins the men’s.  Thiem deserves it the most, but those highlights ... 

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Tiafoe seemed exhausted to me, not just emotionally deflated.

Well, he had Covid with symptoms, and we know how determined and destructive it can be even in mild cases, so he may not be fully recovered, at least not enough to play a major and get into the second week with a full tank.  I hate to think he’s lacking fighting spirit.

• Useful 1

I saw Tiafoe in person like...a decade or so ago (maybe 2 years? Time has lost all meaning.) He was a fighter then, so I’m thinking it was CoViD, or the accompanying joylessess and general corona malaise we are all feeling.

I didn’t see Kenin play, but I decided to like her because she seems just like that girl in school that no one liked, awkward, weird, a little mean, mono-focused, etc. I figure she’ll have zero fans when compared with a charm factory like Coco. 

Also, GO SERENA. I need her to win and then over take that bitch Margaret Court. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was so happy to see Sascha Zverev make his second consecutive GS semi after overcoming Coric - who has always given him a tough time - today.  I know people are saying the match wasn't pretty but I saw some fine individual plays and sometimes the players just have to tough it out I imagine.  Im sure all the young guys are very aware of the big opportunity they may have.  Anyway, Sascha really seems to have calmed down this year and been able to stay in tight matches as well.  He has started working with David Ferrer and that can only be a good thing.  Good to see his progress.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, roseha said:

I was so happy to see Sascha Zverev make his second consecutive GS semi after overcoming Coric - who has always given him a tough time - today.  I know people are saying the match wasn't pretty but I saw some fine individual plays and sometimes the players just have to tough it out I imagine.  Im sure all the young guys are very aware of the big opportunity they may have.  Anyway, Sascha really seems to have calmed down this year and been able to stay in tight matches as well.  He has started working with David Ferrer and that can only be a good thing.  Good to see his progress.

I stepped out of the house to talk to a neighbor briefly during part of this match. Did the pompous BG get a reprimand from the chair umpire to be quieter or did I mishear a comment someone make?

Not from the umpire. Alexander was about to serve and turned and said to BG "you know I can hear you? Every single word the entire match." And then the people in the booth said something like "well he should take your advice then" (the comment BG made right before that had been about his second serve), and mentioned how the lack of 20,000 other people in the stadium meant the courtside reporters really needed to whisper.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Not from the umpire. Alexander was about to serve and turned and said to BG "you know I can hear you? Every single word the entire match." And then the people in the booth said something like "well he should take your advice then" (the comment BG made right before that had been about his second serve), and mentioned how the lack of 20,000 other people in the stadium meant the courtside reporters really needed to whisper.

Thanks, @theatremouse. IMHO, they can do away with BG entirely. Don’t know when his contract expires. 

• Love 1

Random thoughts/questions during the US Open:

Can Chris Everett please shut it about how 'if there were fans' .....   There aren't fans and any player that needs them to be able to get their act together and win is not a champion. 

Can Brad Gilbert go away now and forever?  

Didn't Raonic used to be kind of cute?  

Is Naomi's outfit a unitard with shorts over it?  What is with the shorts over shorts that a lot of the women are wearing?  It's not cute. 

Kenin doesn't look exceptionally tall so why is her skirt so short?  Her whole outfit looks like it was put in the dryer on the wrong setting.

Every time I see the chair empire Carlos Ramos (currently covering the Osaka/Rogers match) I think "oh please don't let him be covering the final if Serena is in it. That will not go well"

Does Serena have more than the designated 3 people in the bubble?  I've seen her husband, agent, coach and at least two other woman (not counting her child obviously).   While I do want her to win her 24th so we can hopefully stop hearing Court's name I do find her insufferable the last few years.  I don't know if she's changed or I'm just old and my patience level is lower. Probably a combination.

Speaking of insufferable (meaning Novak not his critics) - congrats to all the ABNers 🙂 While I wasn't one of them I never thought he was going to win the tournament and was surprised that he kept being touted as such a done deal.  Even before the incident he looked unsettled and out of sorts (did at the Western Southern as well) whenever he goes to the drop shot often you know he's not having a good day.  It is a lousy shot just to end the point.  I don't know the percentage but I'd guess he's lost over 50% of the points where he's hit a drop shot. 

All that being said I'm glad to have tennis to watch and hope it can continue and that everyone is able to stay safe.

Edited by I Want My MBTV
  • Love 4

In other news, Roland Garros still insists that they will be admitting thousands of fans, all while keeping the players in a 2 hotel bubble a la the USO.  I wonder how they intend to work out that contradiction.   Defending champion Ash Barty has already withdrawn though partly due to restrictions in Australia as well I hear.

1 hour ago, I Want My MBTV said:

Does Serena have more than the designated 3 people in the bubble?  I've seen her husband, agent, coach and at least two other woman (not counting her child obviously).   While I do want her to win her 24th so we can hopefully stop hearing Court's name I do find her insufferable the last few years.  I don't know if she's changed or I'm just old and my patience level is lower. Probably a combination.

I wonder if she isn't allowed more people in her bubble because she has a young child and needs extra people to help with child care when she is playing, practicing, etc.  Seems like any player who has young kids who are going to be with them at the tournament is going to need some childcare assistance.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

Delurking to say 1) I am a member of ABN but even more so after reading the horrible things his fans are saying on Twitter. I went online and it was disgusting.

2) As far as Osaka’s outfits go, I love her masks and am even more a fan seeing as how she has stepped up to take a stand on social justice. I hope she gets to the finals with...

3) As a long time Serena fan I would love her to win #24-not that she needs to tie or overcome that homophobic b#tch Court to be proclaimed the GOAT but it would be pleasing to me. But that said I want a....

4) Serena/Osaka final. I’d be happy with either.

As for the men, I would love all the guys left. Just hoping for good tennis and looking forward to the rest of the matches

• Love 5

On the Serena-number-of-people front I thought in addition to Alexis, her agent and Patrick, I'd seen Isha in the stands. I wondered if Isha might've been in the bubble as part of Venus' team and then once in, didn't have to leave. Alternate theory: Patrick wasn't counted to Serena's total because he was part of Tsitsipas and/or Gauff's number at the start.

Zverev giving Brad some lip makes me like him more! BG can't whisper though, he likes to hear himself talk too much. I wish I liked James Blake as a commentator more, but I just find him bland and boring. He's okay courtside. Looks like Mary Carillo has been put out to pasture on the outlands of ESPN3.

Heartbreaker for Shopovalov. I kept thinking he had it, but CB found a way. That looked like an exhausting match. 

I think Med/Thiem might be the real final in the semis. In which case, I have to root for Med. I like Thiem, but like others here, I can't support his Wham-worthy frosted tips. Those really should have stayed in the 80's. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I very very very want Serena to win not only this match, but the whole thing, for reasons previously stated. However, if there's one thing I've learned in the past three years, it's that when she gets emotionally down and frustrated on court, she loses. All of the GS finals she's been in recently and lost, she had that look on her face that she has today. So my hopes are kind of low at the moment.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Hudson0325 said:

Delurking to say 1) I am a member of ABN but even more so after reading the horrible things his fans are saying on Twitter. I went online and it was disgusting.

2) As far as Osaka’s outfits go, I love her masks and am even more a fan seeing as how she has stepped up to take a stand on social justice. I hope she gets to the finals with...

3) As a long time Serena fan I would love her to win #24-not that she needs to tie or overcome that homophobic b#tch Court to be proclaimed the GOAT but it would be pleasing to me. But that said I want a....

4) Serena/Osaka final. I’d be happy with either.

As for the men, I would love all the guys left. Just hoping for good tennis and looking forward to the rest of the matches

I do love Osaka's masks.  Last night when after the match they had Trayvon Martin's Mom and Ahmaud Arbery's Dad on video that was really emotional. 

Serena is the GOAT I don't think anyone can deny that.  Even if she never wins another GS no one can touch her.  Court wouldn't even be #2 after Serena that would probably be Graf.   I don't know that I'd put Court even in the top 10 no matter how many Australian Open's she won when players didn't travel to Australia 🙂

• Love 8
On 9/8/2020 at 11:39 AM, BlackberryJam said:

I didn’t see Kenin play, but I decided to like her because she seems just like that girl in school that no one liked, awkward, weird, a little mean, mono-focused, etc. I figure she’ll have zero fans when compared with a charm factory like Coco. 

At first I thought you meant Coco Vandeweghe hahaha.  I'd put Kenin right up there with Coco Vandeweghe and Danielle Collins in terms of coming across as mean.  I watched her match and was not disappointed that she lost.

33 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I very very very want Serena to win not only this match, but the whole thing, for reasons previously stated. However, if there's one thing I've learned in the past three years, it's that when she gets emotionally down and frustrated on court, she loses. All of the GS finals she's been in recently and lost, she had that look on her face that she has today. So my hopes are kind of low at the moment.

I agree.  I hope she pulls it together.  I am hoping for a Serena/Azarenka semi and then the winner to face Naomi.

BTW, what has happened to Serena's husband?  Didn't he use to look polished and clean cut?  Did he just completely let himself go during COVID?  What's up with the topknot/manbun and the weight gain?  The first time I saw him in the stands with their daughter, no joke, I actually thought he was the nanny.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I like Thiem, but like others here, I can't support his Wham-worthy frosted tips. Those really should have stayed in the 80's. 

lol, guess I have the unpopular opinion of thinking it's grown out a bit and doesn't look so bad anymore. Hell I didn't even notice they were still in during his first few matches. I thought it was completely washed out. Personally, my current annoyance with Thiem is his being part of the Djokovic train of idiocy as it pertains to COVID. 

He was part of that moronic tour and based on some of his comments, still doesn't think the whole thing is a big deal. Still he's been one of my ones to watch for the last four years so I can't fully let go. He or Medvedev are definitely my picks to win. If not, it'll probably be someone totally random like Rublev.

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

So my hopes are kind of low at the moment.

Nah, looks like she's turned things around. I think Prionkova may have gone as far as possible physically. She's currently looking like every point is taking everything out of her. 

1 hour ago, I Want My MBTV said:

.  Court wouldn't even be #2 after Serena that would probably be Graf.  

Same for me. Margaret Court is, in the words of Evelyn Lozada, a complete non-mutherfu**ing factor to me when it comes to discussions about the greatest of all time. And like you, I've long viewed Serena as the GOAT and so have never needed her to win 24 to prove that. But I guess it's something she needs to prove to herself. 

47 minutes ago, blackwing said:

At first I thought you meant Coco Vandeweghe hahaha. 

lmao, yeah no one's calling Coco charming.

I'd put Kenin right up there with Coco Vandeweghe and Danielle Collins in terms of coming across as mean.  I watched her match and was not disappointed that she lost.

While I'm no fan of Kenin, I wouldn't say I feel she comes across as mean. For me, it's that she comes across as incredibly awkward and so is awkward to watch. Coco comes across as a smug bitch and Collins just angry and like she'd stab you in your sleep. But Kenin's just awkward to me. 

The first time I saw him in the stands with their daughter, no joke, I actually thought he was the nanny.

lmao... Well he is currently "unemployed". I put that in air quotes because he stepped down from his role at Reddit, but as co-founder, it's one of those stepping down where the severance package was in the very high millions. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

BTW, what has happened to Serena's husband?  Didn't he use to look polished and clean cut?  Did he just completely let himself go during COVID?  What's up with the topknot/manbun and the weight gain?

I view his lack of haircut as indication of their family's COVID-appropriate behavior. I don't think I'm familiar enough with his body type to notice weight gain or lack thereof on him. I admit when I first saw him in the stands in the first round my knee-jerk was "dude, this hair is not a good look on you" but then I rethought and figured "hey let's not mock people's COVID hair" so I'm trying to stay there.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I view his lack of haircut as indication of their family's COVID-appropriate behavior. I don't think I'm familiar enough with his body type to notice weight gain or lack thereof on him. I admit when I first saw him in the stands in the first round my knee-jerk was "dude, this hair is not a good look on you" but then I rethought and figured "hey let's not mock people's COVID hair" so I'm trying to stay there.

True.  But I had to google pictures of him to see if she had gotten a new husband.  The pictures of him on the internetz and the camera shots of him courtside are like night and day.  Plus, I get that people in California don't or can't go to the barber... but the guy is richer than Croesus.  If I can afford clippers that I found on Amazon, surely he could too.  

Great win by Serena, I'm glad she pulled it off!

• Love 2

Forgot to mention that I don't know how anyone can focus on Thiem's highlights with that thing De Minaur has on his face. Like I don't get it - is this a tribute to Charlie Chaplin, is he trying to be ironic, what? Because it can't possibly be because he thinks it looks good.

• Love 2

It looks more Ned Flanders than Chaplin to me. However, Jordan Thompson had one too. I don't know if this is some sort of inside joke with the young Aussie dudes, or they lost a bet, or a superstitious thing or what, but they both look very 80s and not in a good way.

Good grief, what a demoralizing night of tennis.  Thank goodness no one had to buy a ticket to this thing.

I hadn’t heard about Thiem and Covid.  Gah.  I was liking him because supposedly he and Rafa are tight.

• Love 3

I am looking forward to Thiem vs. Medvedev though. Pity that could not be the Finals. I'm placing my bets on whoever comes out of that one to win the whole thing. No offense to Carreno Busta and Zverev. Of course, as I say this, watch and see Pablo win the title. 

• Love 3

You know the match is one-sided when they have to send Patrick McEnroe on walkabout to various places around the empty stadium to try to keep us interested. Thiem really brought the fire-power. Medvedev better bring a couple extra packets of CrampsAway! 

I think I'm rooting for Vica to take her comback all the way. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

You know the match is one-sided when they have to send Patrick McEnroe on walkabout to various places around the empty stadium to try to keep us interested. Thiem really brought the fire-power. Medvedev better bring a couple extra packets of CrampsAway! 

I think I'm rooting for Vica to take her comback all the way. 

It was a great display by both Thiem and Azarenka... felt kind of bad for their opponents but I appreciated the dominance.  Would like to see Thiem win the title.

On the women's side, I wish Serena vs. Vika was the final.  I want whoever comes out on top to win the title.  I want Serena to win so all the TV commentators can stop talking about #24, but I want Vika to win because it's a good comeback story.  I wouldn't mind Osaka winning either. 

The only one I really don't want to win is Jennifer Brady, and this is petty, but it's purely because she took out the lovely Angelique.  Whenever someone takes out someone I really like in a major tournament, I somehow find myself holding a grudge against them for years.  I still despise Kirsten Flipkens and her stupid headband to this day for taking out Goddess on a Mountaintop Venus in the first round of the 2016 Olympics.

• LOL 2

Vika is looking like vintage scary Vika so I think Serena will have her hands full.  I've see Serena's dips in play with her serve and forehand but I haven't seen that from Vika in any part of her game.  She's been on fire since the W&S Open.

• Love 1

Yeah, it's tricky because Azarenka's game the past month looks much sharper and more consistent than Serena's...and yet, historically, Serena's got her number. Serena's game just matches up nicely against Azarenka's. Of course...I said that about Halep in 2019. So I think it'll come down to if Serena's serve is on vs if she's frustrated and annoyed at herself. The former, and she'll probably still come out on top. The latter, I expect her to get trounced.

• Love 3
On 9/8/2020 at 7:52 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

Does Serena have more than the designated 3 people in the bubble?  I've seen her husband, agent, coach and at least two other woman (not counting her child obviously).

One of the women I've seen is Kathy Rinaldi, who is a USTA figure, so I assume she is not part of Serena's +3.

Well crap. I can’t see the matches tonight. I don’t have cable but I do have the streaming package of Disney/Hulu/ESPN and so far have been able to watch most matches on the ESPN app. But not tonights. That requires an upgrade so I’m following the scores on the US Open site. I may pay for the upgrade for the finals, then cancel.

• Love 1

I tried. Shoot-it’s not on there. I guess I’ll have to upgrade. I can see At least part of the men’s semi tomorrow since I’m at work and have a TV that has cable(and am in Mountain time where they start early) When I get home tomorrow the one I really want to see will still be on-Thiem/Med. I’ll see if I can pick up the rest on the app.

The last two years I was able to get a free ESPN trial and see all of USO but this year I could not. Well, it won’t cost me that much to upgrade. I guess that’s wHat I’ll do. I hate missing this match though cuz it’s in the 3rd set. Any commentary from those watching would be appreciated 😀

I think Vika/Serena may be a great match IF Serena ups her game. Vika has been on fire and really has played the better tennis. Serena has been serving great and I think that has helped her overcome when she isn’t playing so well. When I watch Serena (and I do love her) the past couple years I think the same thing-her footwork isn’t there and it hurts her. She wins a lot with her serve and her mental strength but that isn’t always enough. 
I do like Vika a lot so I won’t be upset if she wins.

35 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I don't know what to make of Naomi's habit of starting nearly all her interview answers with "honestly". It might just be a tick - a crutch word - and not mean anything, but it's starting to distract me.

I think she simply isn’t a natural in front of the camera, so this might be a nervous tick—it gives her an extra beat to compose her thoughts before speaking. 

Vika seems really nervous. Lots of double faults and unforced errors. I’m rooting for Serena, but I want the two of them to have a good match. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I wonder how much the press is going to make of that non-challenge by Jennifer Brady when she got broken and Naomi went up 3-1 in the third.  The TV commentators were great at calling up the review and pointing out that the linesman made a mistake and Brady's shot was in... and that she should have known to have challenged.  I guess that's her inexperience.  It made a huge difference.  If Brady had held, then they are on serve and who knows.  I am sure that Brady will be kicking herself about this for a long time.

• Love 1

It begs the question why they did not choose to use electronic linecalling on the big stadiums too. It'd remove all question about this sort of What If.

I was expecting this match to have the same intensity Osaka-Brady did. Not that I mind Serena crushing it. I enjoy when she crushes her opponents, whoever they are. It may be nerves affecting Vika; it may not. She's been in top form the past two tournaments, but was super underwhelming for the past year before that, so we're getting like...January Vika vs something closer to 2016 Serena.