Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Novak’s parents have publicly blamed Grigor Dmitrov for spreading the virus.  Lovely.

Where’s the “horrifying” emoji when you need it?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Novak’s parents have publicly blamed Grigor Dmitrov for spreading the virus.  Lovely.

That's the least surprising thing in this shitstorm.  They've always been the biggest fucking assholes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love how John Isner continues to ignore the old saying of better to be thought a fool than speak and confirm it. It comforts me that I never liked that idiot and he just continues to confirm for me that my gut reaction was right. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Djokovic is pretty indefensible on this, and clearly uninformed—New York is one of the safest states right now. Also, he’s had it already, so what the heck is even his problem? Not that I’m advocating for him to show up. At this point I would like him to quietly retire and never be heard from again, ideally.

Good for Nick.

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 4
(edited)

If Novak had two brains cells to rub together, he would've apologized at the start, admitted it was poor judgment to host the event and moved on. Deflecting blame and doubling down on the assholery isn't doing him any favors.

Never in a million years did I think I'd ever side with Nick Kyrgios.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

The rest of the tennis season may  be the 5 weeks from  the USO through  the French Open. 

Doesn't look like beyond that it's more than wishful thinking to think ATP/WTA tennis is sustainable for the fall.   

• Love 1

NBA superstar Joel Embiid was asked why he routinely tugs the back of his shorts when attempts free throws. He said he picked up the habit watching Rafa when he was a kid. 😀

• LOL 6
43 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

The rest of the tennis season may  be the 5 weeks from  the USO through  the French Open. 

Doesn't look like beyond that it's more than wishful thinking to think ATP/WTA tennis is sustainable for the fall.   

I was just thinking about this last night.  I believe that the Asian Swing has already been canceled by the local governments, so that technically leaves a few indoor events like Basel and the Paris indoors, but at least one journalist I read felt that indoor events just can't happen until there is a vaccine.

By the way I rarely go on the reddit tennis sub anymore, but someone posted there claiming to be a US Open lines person or ball person and made the point that they would not be in a bubble and would be taking public transport.

23 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I could've sworn the US Open had announced no linespersons at all. Masked chair ump + electronic line calls.

Actually I'm pretty sure the person claimed to be a USO ball person.  However, it's the internet...still I wonder what the protocol is.

After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it.
We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play, I understand and thank for the efforts they are putting in to make it happen. We have just seen the announcement of Madrid not being played this year.
All my respects to the USTA, the US Open organisers and the ATP for trying to put the event together for the players and the fans around the world through TV.
This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel.

You have to give Rafa props here. He has always said that health is more important than tennis and titles and he's put his money where his mouth is with this announcement today. No one will ever be able to say that Rafa is obsessed with titles or the slam chase or any nonsense like that. Above all else and above being a tennis player he is a good guy who puts his family first.

• Love 2

Some of Rafa's zoom interview the day after he pulled out from USOpen translated. He's ready for 2020 to be completely canceled. Have to say I agree with him.

Q. Would it be more reasonable to cancel the [2020] season?

Rafa: "My heart tells me exactly that. I'm telling you the truth. My heart tells me that we should get ready to organize a 2021 season where to be prepared in case different things could happen

The best scenario is that a treatment/vaccine can be found & everything could be back to normal. And the worst scenario is that things continue being like now & then we would find & set the protocols & organize a calendar adapted to the COVID-19

That is, adjusting to which places we can or can't play, but knowing all this in advance, so that players can travel to each place & undergo the required quarantine. In summary, with some protocols that are difficult, but assumable.

The reality is that there are many other interests from the different parties [involved] that make not trying to retake the competition now not-sensible. And when I say many interests I mean interests from many players, who need to play to live, that is, to make a living.

There are also organizations that need tennis to go ahead. So, it's only logical to try the best to move forward. I respect all this & acknowledge the great effort the ATP & other organizations are doing to bring tennis back this season.

Q. Next stop, the clay in Rome?

Hmm... will I play in Rome or not? I don't know. We have to see how the calendar is redone. I hope we soon have news on the adjusted calendar after the cancellation of Madrid & from there I'll again have to take decisions."

• Love 4
On 8/7/2020 at 3:52 AM, shok said:

Some of Rafa's zoom interview the day after he pulled out from USOpen translated. He's ready for 2020 to be completely canceled. Have to say I agree with him.

Do you have a link for this interview, Shok?  I have a friend (Rabid Rafa Fan) who would love to see the whole thing.

Edited by Harry24
On 8/5/2020 at 5:15 AM, theatremouse said:

I could've sworn the US Open had announced no linespersons at all. Masked chair ump + electronic line calls.

Nope.

It was already announced in June that the US Open won't have spectators (aka behind closed doors), but will still have limited linespersons and umpires.

No mixed doubles, qualifying, wheelchair and all junior matches. Doubles are reduced to 32 players in 16 team format for this year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/53070667

Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Useful 1

W & S was a disappointment, but still glad to have tennis back on my TV. 

Rooting for Coco and Alison Riske today. On the men's side.... ABN! (Anybody But Novak!) I hope Thiem or Medvedev can challenge him. Hell, I'd even take Kurious. He's mad enough at Dj that it might inspire him to want to focus enough to win!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Yup, that was my feeling. As I've always said, yes, I have my fave but at the end of the day, I am truly a fan of the sport. So it was nice to see it being played again. 

But yeah, as for Novak's run, what-the-hell-ever. And I love how ESPN kept running this packaged piece about him before every one of his matches that was meant to be endearing and inspiring and all I kept thinking was, "stop trying to make fetch happen. No one cares". 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Rooting for Coco and Alison Riske today. On the men's side.... ABN! (Anybody But Novak!) I hope Thiem or Medvedev can challenge him. Hell, I'd even take Kurious. He's mad enough at Dj that it might inspire him to want to focus enough to win!

I thought Kyrgios was boycotting. But yeah, ABN!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I thought Kyrgios was boycotting.

He is. 

Well Coco's out. I saw the match and she could have won, because Stevastova wasn't playing that great but the serve let her down. Other than that, most of the matches were pretty meh. It was cool discovering Petr Korda has a son old enough to be playing professionally now.

And then I felt old since I remember watching Korda play. Though to be fair, I think he was in the latter years of his career by that point. But yeah, his kid is like his doppelganger. As soon as I saw him and saw the last name was Korda, I knew that had to be his son. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Is there room for me on the socially-distanced ABN train?  I’ll bring prepackaged and sanitized snacks even.

I saw noise over the weekend that he wants a tennis players union and he also wants men to continue to make more than women, but did not see why he vomited those thoughts out.

This is probably just IMO, but Serena is worth a fuck of a lot more than Novak and she should be paid accordingly.

• Love 11

So far the only outfit I am enjoying is David Goffin's. He's such an adorable little elfin creature, and his understated fashion has just the right pop of color. 

So bummed Medvedev doesn't have a crowd to give him credit for totally turning his demeanor around after last year's hijinks. ....although I kind of miss his hijinks, cuz they were often hilarious. 

Was rooting for Clisters but she just pooped out (understandably). 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

People falling out of the draw all over the place.

Who fell out? Last I checked, Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev are all still in. If we're talking about Roanic's loss to Popisil - eh, I didn't think that was particularly surprising. And considering Murray struggled to get through his first round to hardly some top player, I didn't think he had any chance against Felix. 

I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if Novak won because it'd be fitting for this already shitty year. But the people who have any real chance of potentially hurting him are all still in. 

On 9/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, TVbitch said:

Was rooting for Clisters but she just pooped out (understandably). 

I'm sorry, I like Kim, always liked her in her active years.  But this whole "comeback" is delusional and pointless in my opinion. Like I said before, it's not her age that's the problem per se but that she spent almost 7 years out of the game. Serena may be the same age as Kim but she's never been out of the game for a long extended period. 

The times she was out was only when she had that serious health issue and later had her baby. But she's always been actively competing. That makes a difference. Also, not to body shame, but I thought Kim looked pretty out of shape. I guess she put on those quarantine pounds. 

Because I thought she looked great in the one match she played back in Jan./Feb, before the pandemic took over. But she looked heavy in that match and it wasn't surprising to me that part of why she lost is she ran out of gas. Had she been able to keep the pressure on in the second set, she'd have gotten the win. But once the match went to a third, she couldn't physically keep up.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Bewitched said:

I'm not sure even the neon 80s glory that was Andre Agassi would have worn these Nike kits.

Not sure if this comment was meant to be ironic, because the collection was actually inspired by Andre's 90s US Open looks. And to be honest, I figured that as soon as I saw Shapovolov. Because all I could think was "why is Denis dressed like Andre Agassi circa 1990?"

So speaking of Djokovic, they did a piece yesterday with the players reflecting on the pandemic and their processes as things got worse and the world shut down and they realized the rest of the tennis year may be canceled entirely. And shockingly they brought up Djokovic's moronic "tour" with the ones who took part still saying they thought it was safe and all precautions had been taken. The hell?

You dumbasses were all up there in close contact with fans and how many other people with no masks, dancing away in a club, etc. and you thought all necessary precautions had been taken? I couldn't believe the U.S. Open kept that crap in the piece and especially with no one offering a counter point. But it's clear they really think Novak and Serena are their only big stars with most players gone, so god forbid they show anything critical of the tool. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I'm glad I missed that piece. I would have been screaming BULLSHIT!!! at the top of my lungs. Novak's "tour" was doomed from the start. 

Doesn't ESPN realize he doesn't really have a fan base in the US? My husband only tolerates him because he's half Serbian. But just barely.

Novak must be loving this. Usually he is shunted off to a lesser court so Nadal and Fed can bask in glory on center court while the crowds cheer them on, but this year he has mostly played center court and is getting a lot of attention. Today during Fritz/Shapovolov, they showed him looking on and you could just tell he was thinking.... "Yeah, I will eat those kids for lunch." 

I wish they would not do the canned applause after each point. I find it cringey. 

• Love 1