Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

And the answer is no. Gutted man...damn you Monfils, so close. But the second he blew those match points and immediately got broken to lose the set, I knew it was over.

I have nothing against Federer but was rooting for Monfils just because I like him (and because I saw a clip earlier in the week of his "dance off" with Laurent Lokoli at Roland Garros and it was amazing) but as soon as he lost the two match points I had visions of Jana Novotna falling apart against Steffi Graf at Wimbledon and knew Federer would win.

• Love 2
Federer's style is very similar to Evert when she played - that delicate, slightly prissy, almost aloof style of play.
I have never liked Federer and I have called him "Bitter Beer Face" for years.  Delicate, prissy and aloof is a good way to describe his play.  Of course, all the commentators want Djokovic/Federer so they can talk incessantly about Federer trying to avenge his Wimbledon loss.

Has he said that he is retiring after this season?  He's ranked #3 and still going strong it seems.  Why do all the commentators act like he is retiring?  When Nadal withdrew the media was bemoaning the fact that we would almost certainly never see a Nadal/Federal Slam final ever again.

• Love 1

It's disappointing but the thing is, that match actually in a way showed just why there's been such a dominance in the men's game. Tedious though it may be watching those same four guys, or really three, (sorry Andy, I'll include you when you've won more than two slams) guys win, the reality is they do because they not only have the game but the self-belief of a champion. They go down fighting until the bitter end.

That's where in my opinion, some level of arrogance in sports is a good thing. Athletes need to believe that they're not only good enough to win but almost deserve to win. And the reality is a lot of the younger players and hell some of the older players, don't have that and especially when they're playing against a Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. They get a lead but then can't sustain it, especially when these guys fight back and level the matches.

When Nadal withdrew the media was bemoaning the fact that we would almost certainly never see a Nadal/Federal Slam final ever again.

I don't know why anyone would want a Nadal/Federer final, we all know how that will play out...unless Rafa gets an injury during the match and even then he might STILL beat Federer. It is amazing to think though that they have never met at the U.S. Open for as many matches as they've played.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

They go down fighting until the bitter end.

That's where in my opinion, some level of arrogance in sports is a good thing. Athletes need to believe that they're not only good enough to win but almost deserve to win.

Yes, and I can appreciate those qualities in an athlete.  I really can. 

It's just that, try as I might because I have friends who do like him, I just have never liked Federer.  I could have swallowed the pill much better last night and maybe not even cared that much if Monfils had lost to anyone but him.  Even Djokovic.

Also, even though it's not Federer's fault, I'm just tired of sports announcers blowing smoke up his ass.  That's another reason I won't even watch the rest of this, because I just don't want to hear about how great he is, even if he is.

• Love 2

Yeah it really sucks. It looked like she was having some trouble breathing at the end too. Classy of Wozniacki to cross the net to see how she was doing. That is just a crappy way to win a match. She wants to be happy making the finals and has every right to be but there's a woman on the other side looking like she's about to pass out. 

Btw, what are the rules for medical timeouts? Because I follow the matches online with Eurosport and the British commentators were none too thrilled when Peng didn't lose a point when she came back out on the court. They seem to believe that because the time-out was taken right in the middle of the game, a violation occurred and so a point penalty should have been implemented. 

Why is the men's final on Monday? I always looked forward to watching the men's match at 4 on the first Sunday of football season. And I mean, there are only two NFL games on Sunday at 4 and I believe they are both FOX games. Are they really throwing the women up against football?

Goddamn you Federer.  I know I'm supposed to say you're amazing, what a comeback, you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, yadayadayada...but you know what?  Fuck you. 

I feel better now.

Once Monfils blew those two match points, I knew it was over.

• Love 2

And Cilic replied...holy crap. Marin and Kei weren't messing around today. I think what I'm so impressed by is how they both came there today with no fear - they didn't let the moment and who they were playing intimidate them.  Man, the top and second seed taken out the same day.

I'm looking forward to the final. I feel like it may come down to which guy can handle their nerves the best in the occasion. My gut says Kei will win but I don't know, could go either way. Either way I'll be happy for whoever wins. Oh and little tennis trivia, the last time none of the big four names were in a final was 2005 Australian where Safin beat Hewitt.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Wow, Marin and Kei came to play today! I don't buy the announcers' excuse that Federer was worn out from the Monfils match. In the QF, Gael basically tanked the last set and the first two weren't even close. Roger got outplayed today.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

How come ESPN isn't looking for younger tennis commentators? Doesn't Andy Roddick need a job?

[Chris] never has anything nice to say about anyone and she's always rude and condescending to whomever she's paired up with in the booth.

(I'm a little behind on this thread). I don't think age alone makes someone a bad commentator, but sometimes the former players are so far removed from the game that they forget what it's like to be out there. Chris is quick to say, "She hasn't been playing her best tennis this tournament"--about everyone, or that the player "isn't focused, is too emotional, is nervous, tight..." All tennis players have bad days (or down years), and most of them get emotional, nervous, tight, or lose their focus every once in a while. And I don't care how much she smiles at Serena Williams on camera, she does not want Serena to reach or exceed her record of 18 Grand Slam Singles titles.

I appreciate Martina Navratilova because her comments and criticisms are usually peppered with some humility. Like she'll say that a player is tense and not moving well, but then she'll recall a time when she lost a big match to Chris or whomever because she was nervous and not very mobile. Lindsay is like that, too, and she's more likely than others to find something positive to say about a player, even if they're being demolished in a match.

John McEnroe and Chris Everet had the nerve to say that Monfils is too emotional when he plays tennis. Granted, it was sad to see him mentally and physically fall apart against Federer, but don't John and Chris remember what it was like to let emotions get the best of you in a big match? John was always emotional, win or lose. I usually watch the matches on CBS or ESPN because they're shown live, but then I'll watch the replay on Tennis Channel to hear better commentary from Martina, Lindsay, and the guy (his name escapes me).

• Love 1

Woah, a Men's & Women's Final where I'll be happy no matter who wins! That never happens.

How upset must Monfils be today! I think he could have given Cilic a tougher match.

Thank goodness the rain didn't disturb the matches today. I know its a part of the game but it always annoys me.

• Love 1

I'm pulling for Serena--I want her to get #18. And I don't think she's underestimating Wozniacki since she's lost in all three Grand Slams this year to players she was "supposed" to beat. But Caroline seems like a really nice person, and she's a great player.

I don't watch much men's tennis, but I might check out Monday's final. It was great to see Michael Chang as one of Kei's coaches. Chang was always enjoyable to watch.

Edited by topanga

So awesome that the final is Nishikori/Cilic!!!

I hate how the media is making such a big deal about "the Big Four". The last time the US Open wasn't won by Big Four etc. My objection is the inclusion of Andy Murray as one of the "Big Four". He has TWO titles. That's only one more than Wawrinka.

My objection is the inclusion of Andy Murray as one of the "Big Four".

Agreed. That's why sometimes I say the "Big 3" and hell for much of the decade starting from about 2004, it's actually mostly just been Federer and Nadal. That said,  I think Andy gets included because while he only has two Slams, he made multiple finals, losing inevitably to one of those other three guys. So for awhile it has seemed to always come down to one of the four.

Although I'm a HUGE Djokovic fan I am excited about the final between Nishikori and Cilic and I hope a bunch of CBS execs are crying over what they perceive will be a ratings disaster.

Oh, they are for sure! 

On a completely shallow note, Stefan Edberg looks amazing. The guy has barely aged and doesn't look like he's put on an ounce since he's stopped playing. Talk about crazy good genetics.

Although I'm a HUGE Djokovic fan I am excited about the final between Nishikori and Cilic and I hope a bunch of CBS execs are crying over what they perceive will be a ratings disaster.

You know they are. At least with Federer, they could have sold it with some sort of "history" angle. If the reign of the "Big Four" is winding down, the US sports media will probably be harsher about  the state of the American men's game. Not that Isner and Sam Querrey and the rest were really contending when it was all about Fed/Rafa/Nole, but I think there will be some annoyance if the "next generation" still doesn't include American guys.

I think the commentators are speaking of the "Big Four" in the sense that they were seemingly the Top 4 players on the men's tour, in any given order, even if Murray hasn't won as many majors as the other three. He has made the semi of every slam multiple times and multiple finals of all but the French.

Speaking of Murray, if the vote passes for Scotland to break away from UK, does that mean Britain's Wimbledon drought is back on?

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

Well, looks like I got my wish!  Now I'll be happy to watch the match Monday night. 

Speaking of Murray, if the vote passes for Scotland to break away from UK, does that mean Britain's Wimbledon drought is back on?

I wondered about that myself.

An article from yesterday before the Cilic match. Ooooh, this guy is so gonna be kicked out of the media Fed Fan Club!  Jon Wertheim et al must be livid. :)  http://www.realclearsports.com/articles/2014/09/03/the_undeniable_arrogance_of_federer.html#.VAqkW_ldVS3

The Undeniable Arrogance of Roger Federer
BY TIM JOYCE - SEPTEMBER 3, 2014

NEW YORK - Fact: Roger Federer is one of a handful of players who is justifiably in the conversation of greatest of all time (GOAT).

Another fact: Roger Federer has won a total of one of the last 18 Grand Slams contested.

Yet, to read the coverage, or watch the embarrassingly gushing ESPN broadcasting of this year’s US Open one would think that Federer is the same dominating player he was back in 2007 and the only storyline at this year’s final Slam tournament.

Now, of course, some of this is entirely understandable. The 33-year-old is again playing some superb tennis, a testament to his extraordinary physical conditioning. And to be able to maintain not just the physical attributes necessary to continue to compete at Slams but also the desire, the mental strength to carry on this late in a career is nothing short of phenomenal. And, lastly, it’s natural for people to shower appreciation and praise upon a great athlete who is near the end of a career – just look at the attention being paid to Derek Jeter, in the final year of his brilliant tenure and he isn’t one-third the player he was in his prime.

But there’s another side to this out-in-the-open Federer worship that has permeated coverage the entirety of Federer’s career; that is, failing to acknowledge the arrogant and passive aggressive nature of Federer’s demeanor - behaviors that too often border on the narcissistic and entitled.

The media has forever relentlessly uttered superlatives regarding Federer’s “sportsmanship” and “classy demeanor.” But, while he usually comports himself very admirably on court, Federer’s snarkier comments and questionable acts are often overlooked, as if any detour from the hagiographic narrative would be an affront to Federer’s legions of fan, or even to the sport itself.

For the sake of brevity I’ll point out two past instances that reveal much about Federer’s overrated “sportsmanship” (I could easily refer to many others). The first concerns the 2009 Australian Open final. Rafael Nadal, who has long owned an utterly dominating record against Federer, solidified his then No. 1 ranking when he followed up his legendary 2008 Wimbledon victory with a triumph six months later over Federer in Melbourne. During the trophy presentation after the match, Federer broke down and cried, stating “God, it’s killing me.”

After hearing this, Nadal then put his arm around Federer in a true gesture of grace and sportsmanship. What was insulting in this scene was not the fact that Federer got emotional – after all, no great champion ever wants to lose - rather, it was the stealing of Nadal’s moment, as well as the implication in Federer’s words that he was entitled to the victory; “it’s killing me,” as if anyone else who would have lost wouldn’t feel so robbed?

The second instance I’ll mention is far more damning. This occurred after the 2011 US Open semifinals. In that epic match, Novak Djokovic saves two match points, on blistering returns, and went on to win. After the match, to say that Federer was not in a magnanimous mood is an understatement. When asked about his defeat and the incredible returns struck by Djokovic, Federer stated thus:

“To lose against someone like that, it's very disappointing, because you feel like he was mentally out of it already. Just gets the lucky shot at the end, and off you go …I mean, please. Some players grow up and play like that – being down 5-2 in the third, and they all just start slapping shots. I never played that way. I believe hard work's going to pay off, because early on maybe I didn't always work at my hardest. For me, this is very hard to understand. How can you play a shot like that on match point? Maybe he's been doing it for 20 years, so for him it was very normal. You've got to ask him.”

It doesn’t even take reading between the lines to understand what Federer was saying – I’m the real player out here, other players since I was young have always wanted to beat me and win by luck and not hard work, etc. How about the fact that Federer didn’t really go for a big serve to end the match while Djokovic had the guts to go for broke at the crucial moment.

Another aspect to the Federer worship concerns the reactions of other players. For so long – and even to this day – there’s been a bizarre, Stepford wives-like quality to the responses some of the players give when playing Federer. Case in point is Gael Monfils. The mercurial Frenchman will be playing Federer in the quarterfinals Thursday night. When asked about the upcoming encounter, Monfils called Federer "the best player ever" and said that playing him will be special and something he can tell his children about.

I can’t imagine Nadal or Djokovic saying that. In fact, Djokovic looked downright exhausted when responding to a question in the run-up to the Open about Federer’s greatness. Additionally, I’ve also spoken to other tennis journalists off-the-record who feel that Federer’s responses to their questions often take on a tone of passive aggressive bullying. But you’ll rarely find a tennis writer say such a thing for fear of banishment from the establishment.

The roots of the Federer worship are easy to understand – first, he plays a singular brand of artistic tennis that is timeless and, secondly, he has backed it up with winning more Grand Slam titles than any other man. Arrogance deserved?

I’ll enjoy my close-up view in Arthur Ashe stadium for his remaining matches over the next few days. But I’ll also glimpse the proceedings with a dash of something that’s been missing for a long time when discussing the great Roger Federer – perspective.

Very interesting article.  I used to think something was wrong with me because I really never liked Federer but couldn't articulate why, and everyone on TV seemed to want to fellate him.  My dislike was further solidified when in an interview a couple years ago, he made the comment that he especially relished beating an opponent on their home turf.  Now of course, all competitors want to win no matter where they play, but it was just the meanness, the way he said it, and the glint in his eye that made me wish someone had punched him in the throat.

I hope he's still crying.

• Love 1

The comments to the article are cracking me up. It's like the Fed brigade got a "bat signal" that their guy had been criticized and all rushed to defend. Honestly, I've always been more or less indifferent to Federer. I don't love him but he's never really bothered me and I will say, I definitely agree with the superlatives about how beautiful his game is. I really do enjoy watching him and do think there's an elegance and grace in the way he moves on the court.

And do I think he's arrogant - hell yes. But like I've said, I think almost all champions have some level of arrogance in them. Pete Sampras was incredibly arrogant. I will never forget his snarky response in a press conference after losing to Pat Rafter at the U.S. Open for a second straight year, when asked what he thought was the difference in their game and he replied, "5 Wimbledon titles." And he said it with that obnoxious smirk. And we've seen many players who haven't even won a major, be arrogant - hello Nick Kyrgios. Again say what you will but Federer has earned his bragging rights. 

That said, there's a part of me that suspects that love of the game aside, love of competing, etc. part of Federer's motivation for sticking around is that looming threat of Rafa possibly surpassing his 17 GS record. Let's face it, when Sampras broke that record, one that had been standing for decades, everyone thought "oh it'll be awhile before we see someone surpass it" and then, not even a decade into Sampras' retirement, there was Federer to not only break it but surpass it. And then people said "well surely that's it for awhile".

And then Rafa came and suddenly started owning Federer in their head to heads, started proving he could win at the other majors, not just the French and proceeded to have an almost decade stranglehold on the French. So suddenly people are saying Federer's precious 17 is not looking so secure. And I really think that is part of his motivation to win at least one more or even maybe two - to put that greater distance between him and Rafa. 

And I think that's kind of sad really. I get being competitive, what champion isn't. But I just feel at some point, you have to say, "you know what I have nothing left to prove anymore" and walk away knowing you gave it your all and left your mark on the game. That's why I will always admire the way Steffi Graf walked away from the game. She was at 22 GS, so many said she was crazy when she was so close, just two away from the record 24. The year she retired she won the French Open and was the runner up at Wimbledon so she was still competing at a high level. But as she said later in an interview, she woke up after her loss at one of the summer Masters and just thought, "I don't want to do this anymore and I have nothing left to prove."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

That's why I will always admire the way Steffi Graf walked away from the game. She was at 22 GS, so many said she was crazy when she was so close, just two away from the record 24. The year she retired she won the French Open and was the runner up at Wimbledon so she was still competing at a high level. But as she said later in an interview, she woke up after her loss at one of the summer Masters and just thought, "I don't want to do this anymore and I have nothing left to prove."

I find it interesting that one of the ways she and Andre Agassi first bonded was when they agreed that they hated tennis. They didn't hate every aspect of the game, but their strong feelings seemed to stem from the fact that they were never given a choice in whether or not they pursued professional tennis. From the time they were toddlers, their parents decided to "shove this ball down [their] f***ing throat" (™ S. Williams). Would she ever have chosen tennis on her own? Who knows. But as a competitive and gifted athlete, Steffi wanted to win every time she stepped onto the court. And once she no longer felt that hunger to win, she hung up her racquet for good.  I would love to read Steffi Graff's memoir, if she ever writes one.

Also, when Steffi and Andre got married, they vowed not to teach their children to play tennis. They've obviously back-tracked on that a little, because their children have been in tennis commercials with the two of them. But I don't think they'll ever push their children to be professional athletes.

• Love 1

I will say, I definitely agree with the superlatives about how beautiful his game is. I really do enjoy watching him and do think there's an elegance and grace in the way he moves on the court.

Heh, and I can't stand watching him with his preening and hair flicking and fluffing and I think he's all elbows and angles out there, not elegance and grace. Those that want to swoon about balletic moves can go to the ballet, I want to see wonderful athletic ability on the tennis court. But beauty is all in the eye of the beholder and these eyes see far more beauty in a Rafa Nadal on court, or even a Gael Monfils, or Bjorn Borg in the days of old.

• Love 2

That's why I will always admire the way Steffi Graf walked away from the game. She was at 22 GS, so many said she was crazy when she was so close, just two away from the record 24. The year she retired she won the French Open and was the runner up at Wimbledon so she was still competing at a high level. But as she said later in an interview, she woke up after her loss at one of the summer Masters and just thought, "I don't want to do this anymore and I have nothing left to prove."

I hated Steffi as a player because she was too good and I found her style of play to be boring.  That being said I have absolutely loved everything about her in retirement and now sort of wish I'd given her a chance during her playing days. 

• Love 1
I hated Steffi as a player because she was too good and I found her style of play to be boring.  That being said I have absolutely loved everything about her in retirement and now sort of wish I'd given her a chance during her playing days.

Yeah it's funny, I remember the year before she retired, some commentators were having a discussion about it and Billie Jean King went as far as saying that she didn't see Steffi retiring anytime soon and that when she eventually did she might even have some kind of breakdown because the game was her whole life and all she knew. Yeah, not so much.

Steffi retired and didn't look back and quickly moved on to her life with Andre, being a wife and a mom. She simply started a new chapter of her life after closing one. And  I remember people being so shocked and confused when all these things happened, marriage and baby, because they'd truly had this image and idea of her as being "cold and stoic" so the thought of her as wife and a mother seemed like a foreign concept. 

Those that want to swoon about balletic moves can go to the ballet, I want to see wonderful athletic ability on the tennis court. But beauty is all in the eye of the beholder and these eyes see far more beauty in a Rafa Nadal on court, or even a Gael Monfils, or Bjorn Borg in the days of old.

And there are those that can appreciate both. YMMV but my saying Federer has a certain grace when he moves on court does not mean there is a lack of athletic ability, because I think he displays plenty actually. However, his athletic ability in my opinion, is just displayed in a different form than Rafa for example, and I can personally appreciate both. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

because they'd truly had this image and idea of her as being "cold and stoic"

Cold and stoic, that's exactly how I would sum up Steffi during her career.  To me she seemed like a robot on the court, completely devoid of any humanness or personality.

I was watching some special on Andre Agassi and they were filming him and Steffi playing tennis at their Vegas home. I was surprised at how warm and funny she was. I can't see Andre as the type who could stand being married to a cold fish, so Tennis Steffi must be completely different than Real Life Steffi. 

It's weird how personalities can be painted a certain way by the media. Last week I watched the Venus and Serena documentary on HBO. For years, commentators always said that Venus was reserved and aloof and Serena was the outgoing, friendly one. During the movie, I thought it was the other way around. Venus was way more humble and polite while Serena bossed her entourage around and treated her hitting partner like shit. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

It's weird how personalities can be painted a certain way by the media. Last week I watched the Venus and Serena documentary on HBO. For years, commentators always said that Venus was reserved and aloof and Serena was the outgoing, friendly one. During the movie, I thought it was the other way around. Venus was way more humble and polite while Serena bossed her entourage around and treated her hitting partner like shit. 

I don't follow tennis as much as some others, but I have seen enough to get the same impression that Venus is the more polite one. I think she is more humble and her reserve has never been considered aloof to me (just shy and soft-spoken). I get the impression that Venus is more well rounded too; she has other interests going outside of tennis. In interviews, I've never found Serena to be particularly endearing. She is a great player, but not to my style either. During her best years, it probably did affect her self-image.

I have read and heard almost all good things about people who meet and interact with Roger Federrer. I enjoy watching him play as well. I like Rafa Nadal as well, but I've seen him less. I don't see why you can't like them both or even dislike them both in some cases...

• Love 1

I was rooting for Serena, not sure why exactly because usually I don't, but I still got so annoyed with Mary and John. I mean, yes, Serena won in pretty dominant fashion, but they basically gave her the match when it was 2-0 in the second set.

My husband and I both thought the Martina/Chris presentation was sweet. He, however, also made the comment that the bracelet probably cost more than our salaries for many years. Also, I would have preferred diamonds haha.

Loved that Dick Enberg retrospective. Love seeing the former champions.