Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Okay, I feel like I am an avid tennis fan, in that I keep with the smaller tournaments, as well as the Grand Slams. And okay, admittedly I may not be as invested in the women's side of things versus the men, just because well my favorite player is Nadal.

But I still think I do pretty good in keeping up with the women's side of things, enough that I was bummed that Kiki Bertens got injured. Because I know she's been having a really good lead up to the French. 

All that to say, can someone explain to me how Sabalenka has the ranking she does? Because I just feel like I keep hearing about her and yet, she doesn't seem to win anything. She's out early again at a Major and I know she didn't win any of the major clay tournaments pre-French Open. So make it make sense to me. 

On another note, I actually really thought Azarenka would beat Osaka. I just felt like Naomi has been showing a little vulnerability and inconsistency really and that if Azarenka really came out firing, she would pull off the upset. Ah well. She did win a set though.

Edited by truthaboutluv
On 5/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, sacrebleu said:

I will say-- I'm really liking Chanda Rubin as a commentator. She brings a really interesting perspective-- and obvious love of the sport. 

Yes! Rubin was always one of my favorites to watch, and now I’m really enjoying her work as a commentator. Her passion for the sport always shines through, and she does a great job of breaking down point mechanics in ways that many of the veteran commentators cannot be bothered to do.

• Love 2

The Osaka-Azarenka match was great. Vica played better than I've seen her play in years. She had Osaka on the ropes, but Naomi in her quiet way stayed in the match and eventually was able to walk away with that 3rd set and the victory. I love Osaka but felt sad for Azarenka. She played her butt off and definitely would've beaten most other players. 

I suppose I'm still rooting for the veteran players and haven't fully gotten on board with these young whippersnappers yet. LOL.

9 hours ago, topanga said:

Azarenka had Osaka on the ropes, but Naomi in her quiet way stayed in the match and eventually was able to walk away with that 3rd set and the victory. 

It was a GREAT match.  Naomi is a fantastic competitor, as you say, "in her quiet way."  She may be the best competitor since Serena.  And her game is electrifying.  That forehand reminds me of Graf!

2 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Did you catch the fan yelling "come on, baby Federer!" to Dimitrov in the match vs. Wawrinka?

I didn't hear it, but I did hear his response of "Do I look like a baby to you?"

I didn't hear what the fan yelled and figured the "baby" from the fan was of the "oh, baby, baby" ilk, in response to his pulchritude. 

Poor Grigor might have the toughest draw in history.  To win the title he'd probably have to beat Tipsarevic, Cilic, Wawrinka, Tsitsipas, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic!!!!  Holy moly!!!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I didn't hear what the fan yelled and figured the "baby" from the fan was of the "oh, baby, baby" ilk, in response to his pulchritude. 

Nope, but I bet he would have reacted better to that! 😂

And yeah, I had checked his draw at the beginning and ... yikes.

14 hours ago, Harry24 said:

It was a GREAT match.  Naomi is a fantastic competitor, as you say, "in her quiet way."  She may be the best competitor since Serena.  And her game is electrifying.  That forehand reminds me of Graf!

16 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Not today she wasn't. Personally, this is why I actually predicted Azarenka to win their match because I just had this gut feeling that Naomi was going to flame out early. I would have much preferred she lose to Victoria who I think could have had a decent run after. Instead she loses to some player I've never heard of (no offense to her) who didn't even play an amazing match per se but rather Naomi played a really, really shitty one. 

Naomi was super rough in both her previous matches, but managed to find some level of picking it up/her opponents screwed up. But she was clearly not at her best. Didn't she pull out of her last tournament with injury though? She didn't look hurt; she seemed to just not be playing very consistently, but maybe she's not quite right yet.

Meanwhile Siniakova has one of the herky jerky weirdest service motions I've ever seen. If tennis had the equivalent of a balk, that's her motion, every time. I must not have seen her on television before because I would've remembered that. It's mechanically off-putting.

Guess it's upset day on the women's side today. I'm sure the tennis media will declare this one the biggest upset of the tournament but eh, much like Naomi, I didn't have much high hopes for Serena this tournament. So can't say this was that surprising to me. 

Right now, my prediction for the women's title is Muguruza or Simona.  I think if Garbine gets by Sloane, she'll be very dangerous the rest of the tournament. And it will be fitting to how her career has gone thus far. Win a big title, then have a couple of bad months and seemingly disappear and then just show up again and win a Grand Slam.

Simona looked pretty good for much of the clay season and she's been running through opponents so far. So yeah they are my predictions. 

I think Muguruza and Halep are the best clay court players on the women's side right now. I'd have called them even favourites to win before Osaka and Williams lost. That said, if Stephens does win tomorrow, that won't be shocking, but in that matchup on this surface, I do not expect her to.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I think Muguruza and Halep are the best clay court players on the women's side right now. I'd have called them even favourites to win before Osaka and Williams lost.

Just to be clear, they were my favorites before those upsets since as I said, I never expected much from Naomi or Serena this tournament. Well I should clarify that with Muguruza, I was waiting to see how she played her first two rounds since with her, it can be a bit unpredictable. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I had Wawrinka and Tsitipas on but was busy doing stuff and the announcers were talking about something that happened with Thiem and Serena in a press conference.  Anyone know what that was all about?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I had Wawrinka and Tsitipas on but was busy doing stuff and the announcers were talking about something that happened with Thiem and Serena in a press conference.  Anyone know what that was all about?

BBC Article

It sounds as though Thiem has a point.  If the facts as stated are correct.  Big if, as always.

Another article - Tennis.com

This article stresses that ultimately Thiem (and Fed) thought it was pretty funny.

Wasn't Tsitsipas-Wawrinka a corker?!!  I'm proud of Stan.  I've always liked him.

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 3

I enjoyed watching Kenin take down Serena. She was all business and had a VERY determined energy, but it never veered into Coco or Collins obnoxiousness. 

Stephanos and Stan was a gorgeous match. Those backhands! That darling laugh they both shared in the middle of the match. I like them both very much and didn't want either to lose, but I can't help but be glad Stan is finally back at his best. Could a guy BE any more respectful and generous toward his opponents. He practically cradled Stephanos at the net. I hope he can recover for Fed. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

BBC Article

It sounds as though Thiem has a point.  If the facts as stated are correct.  Big if, as always.

Another article - Tennis.com

This article stresses that ultimately Thiem (and Fed) thought it was pretty funny.

Wasn't Tsitsipas-Wawrinka a corker?!!  I'm proud of Stan.  I've always liked him.

Thanks.  I'm glad that Thiem and Federer had a laugh about it. 

13 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Can't imagine that there will be a match to top this for the rest of the tourny.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:29 PM, Harry24 said:

Well seems there may be some language/communication issue going on because today I read another article quoting Thiem, it may have been from his post-match conference yesterday where he apparently states that Serena has a "bad personality". 

He apparently went on to say that it was a matter of principle and that even if it was a Junior player in the room, every player has to wait. And added that Federer and Rafa would never do something like that. Now again, without context of video and seeing the interview myself, who knows if his words are taken out of context. But if they weren't I see his point. 

The fact is it was on the French Open organizers for handling this poorly and I know many Serena fans defended her by saying she did say she was fine with the smaller room. But at the end of the day, the situation came about because of her demanding to have her press conference NOW and not wanting to wait. So even making the demand, whether or not she said she was fine with the smaller room, was obnoxious. 

And listen I get it. She lost and she didn't want to hang around there any longer, having to answer what would likely be some really dumb questions since some of these reporters are really annoying. But guess what, nature of the sport and most sports and everyone has to suck it up. Or leave and take the fine. But as is often the case with Serena, she has to pull attention and so this now became a whole "thing" when really she could have simply waited, did her press conference and kept it moving. 

• Love 3
(edited)

And to the surprise of no one (well me), Rafa destroys Nishikori. Kei really needs to work on getting through his earlier round matches quicker. Dude keeps having this 5-set battles in the early rounds that of course catch up to him by the Quarterfinals and beyond.

Like it was already not going to be an easy feat defeating a guy who's beaten him 10 times and is playing on his best surface but it was damn near impossible when he came in having spent over 10 hours on court in the previous rounds. Also had a feeling that long battle with Tsitsipas would catch up with Stan. He put up a good fight but yeah, just didn't have enough in the tank to make it a total battle. 

And so Rafa and Federer are playing each other in the semifinals at the French Open. When was the last time those two even played each other at the French? 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

And so Rafa and Federer are playing each other in the semifinals at the French Open. When was the last time those two even played each other at the French? 

The final in 2011, I believe.

(edited)

Stan being cute again with the referee. You can't not love him.

That second ladies quarter final was quite good. Don't think I have seen either Martic or the winner play before, but I liked their variety. Could be some great matches into the home stretch. Hope we get to see Theim/Kachanov tomorrow, and not Dj/Zv. Tennis Channel seems to be making an effort to show the more exciting matches, which I appreciate.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2

They wanted them to play a couple more games before the rain delay but both he and Fed wanted to break sooner, so while Fed was making some kind of serious case for it, Stan sidles up and gives the referee a big hug and an impish grin. He caved in, of course. 

• Love 1

Sucks that they are playing both women's semis at the same time tomorrow, as I am interested in both. Since I  can't record it and am not getting up at 3AM, it will be a Herculean feat not to get spoiled as I attempt to catch the replay on Tennis Channel. I really wish they would post up the matches like ESPN does so you can watch them at your convenience.  

I saw a headline that...someone...somewhere was upset about what was happening with the women's semis?  Maybe that they have to play outside?  But now I can’t find where I saw it to read the whole article.

• Love 1

I can’t copy from the article, but where it says they want to ensure maximum exposure for the men’s semis on the same day at conflicting times gives me a big ol’ huh?  Because why do the men’s semis get maximum exposure, but the women’s don’t?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

In a situation like this, I would rather them elect to play both women's semis on Saturday and have both finals on Sunday. That allows plenty of time to showcase ALL of the matches. And you would think that would draw more viewers.  

• Love 2
(edited)

So there seems to some drama going down at Roland Garros and once again, it's coming down to many feeling like the organizers are a complete mess who all need to grow a pair. 

So the Djokovic/Thiem semifinal has been postponed to tomorrow and all remaining matches cancelled for the day. One major problem with that, the rain stopped more than an hour ago and the sun is out. 

The rumor mill is saying Djokovic pulled a diva fit and refused to continue playing in "these conditions" and so the organizers acquiesced. No word on where Thiem falls on this but as someone hilariously noted, after the Serena/press conference drama, it's clear Roland Garros officials give zero fucks what Thiem thinks or feels on anything. 

Basically, fans are crying foul online and many people are pissed off and saying this is pure game-play on Djokovic's part who didn't like how the match was going for him. I will say I thought it was telling how he immediately just walked off the court after he lost serve in the third set, when it didn't look like an announcement of play being suspended had even made.

Thiem was still on the court looking like he was going to serve and Novak just walked off. I could definitely tell the wind was no joke on that court, and especially with the fact that they're playing on dirt, which of course can get in the players' eyes. But Rafa and Federer sucked it up and soldiered on in the conditions. 

Oh and so naturally some are REALLY cheering on Thiem to destroy him tomorrow. 

eta: Nice to see Barty continuing her strong start to the year. I would pick her to win just because I know her game and not much about her opponent. But since these were not the names I expected to be in the Women's Final, I guess anything could happen. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
23 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Oh and so naturally some are REALLY cheering on Thiem to destroy him tomorrow. 

Yeah, that was me. So I'm thrilled with today's result, even if Thiem threw away his first opportunity to win it at 5-3.

And I know it makes it extra difficult for him against Rafa tomorrow but it's all right. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Me too. I'm thrilled to see new faces emerging and I'd love for Thiem to pull an upset tomorrow.

To be fair, I think the women's game has long had new faces emerge. In the past decade, once Serena wasn't beating everyone, we saw Kerber come into her own (let's ignore her inconsistency), Muguruza win two Slams, Simona, Sloane, etc. So I feel like it's par for the course when a first timer wins the Women's title at a Grand Slam. 

And now for something I'm sure most would never think I would say. I'd be fine if Thiem pulled off the upset (and what an upset it would be) tomorrow. I love Rafa and let's be clear, I'd be just as fine with him winning.

But I accept that eventually there will come a time when his legacy at the French Open will run its course. That's sports and that's life. It won't take anything away from everything he's done. And I like Thiem. I've liked him and his game since I first discovered him a few years ago. 

And okay if I'm being completely honest, the other reason I'd be fine with this is because if Rafa is to finally have his perfect French Open final record end, I'm just glad it won't be by Djokovic or Federer for that matter. Because it's obvious when I listen to some of the tennis media that this is their dream. To see one of other Big 3 be the ones to take him down.

• Love 1

Bummer that Thiem has to play again tomorrow. I hope youth can pull him through. I am rooting for him. These finals need a great match as they have kind of been a mess. 

Vonderosa (sp?) has been better earlier and it was a shame she could not be at her best today. 

I did have a good laugh at Dj's conversation with the chair over his time violation warning.  

• Love 1

I think Thiem might be more mentally tired than physically tired. Yes, he has played three days in a row but his Quarterfinal match against Kachanov wasn't that long or intense. I think he and Djokovich only played for maybe an hour and a half total yesterday and today lasted about another hour and a half, if you don't count the rain delays.

And for the Masters 1000 tournaments, they tend to play back to back days when it gets down to the Quarters. I think if anything is going to affect Thiem it was more so the roller-coaster of the match and the whole situation, due to the rain delays. The stopping, starting, leaving, then coming back, multiple interruptions today, etc. It just felt never ending at one point. 

Looks like we might see another conversation like Djokovic's with the umpire coming from Nadal. I get why players would want more time after these rallies, but at the same time, it's like weather - they're both playing under the same conditions.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Looks like we might see another conversation like Djokovic's with the umpire coming from Nadal. I get why players would want more time after these rallies, but at the same time, it's like weather - they're both playing under the same conditions.

I see the players' point about starting the shot clock immediately after a long rally because it's not even just about their being physically spent and needing to catch their breath but also in most cases, the crowd is still reacting to the point. So there's a lot of cheering and chants, etc. which is distracting.

And that was Rafa's point I think during his semifinal against Federer when the umpire gave him a time warning violation and he pointed out to her that she didn't do enough to quiet the crowd after the point. And Djokovic's point too was certainly valid. I think what made people roll their eyes with him is how long he went on about it and it's like dude, you didn't get a point taken away. It was a time warning violation. Like let it go. 

That said, I do think that's one of the issues to address in the sport, in terms of how the umpires apply the various rules of the sport. Not to bring up that saga with Serena at the US Open again, but you have umpires like Ramos who are almost sticklers for the rule to the point of being ridiculous at times in some people's opinion. And then you have other umpires who apply the rules to their discretion.

And so you will find that some umpires will take into account the crowd, how long a rally was, etc. in starting the shot clock and applying the time violation rule. Other umpires won't care and will start the clock as soon as the point is over, per the rules. And so it creates an inconsistency. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Yeah, I didn't mean to say any conversation would be the same as the one Djokovic had. Djokovic was a douchebag there, as he tends to be.

But I don't know that there's anything to do about making the time between points evenly applied. Even if the umpire starts quieting the crowd earlier, or whatever, there's no guarantee they'll shut up in the same amount of time. So it's always going to be variable.

In any event, every point in the match has quit being a marathon rally so it's not been an issue after that first set.

(edited)

It is funny though that Nadal has won so many French Opens that he speaks pretty good French.

I loved Thiem's comment in the post interview when McEnroe asked him how it felt from being on a high beating Djokovic to losing to Nadal.  Theim rather jokingly said "yeah, I went from heaven to hell."  LOL

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

A couple great sets, but there was no way Theim was going to be able to keep that up. He had the thousand-yard stare afterwards and who can blame him. 

I don't mind the players giving the chair a little sass. I mean, not Serena at the US Open levels of sass, but I thought Dj's asking the chair if he played tennis and if he knew what it was like to play with a crowd and the clapping, and the chair saying "yes," and then Dj's expression was hilarious. He let it go after that.  

(edited)

Theim had to be mentally exhausted, but damn, that one handed BH of his is glorious , isn’t it?

Well the even dozen for Rafa at Roland Garos.  You almost have to laugh at  the surreal absurdity of that stat.    12 French Open titles.

So now  Rafa’s at 18 Majors just 2 shy of Federer’s 20.  I swore I wouldn’t get sucked into the Majors counting, as in just let the players just enjoy their glorious careers and respect their accomplishments.

But now...

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
(edited)

In the slo mo replays of a lot of Theim's shots, it looks like so much force and torque on his whole body that I am amazed he is not flung to the ground. How does ne not have constant injuries? 

Edited by TVbitch