Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I'm so excited that my young Canadian player (who I've been following since he was 14) Felix Auger-Aliassime is into the first ATP final of his young career down in Rio. At 18, he's the youngest player to make a final of a 500 event since 500s were instituted back in 2009.

All the seeds were knocked out early so his opponent isn't a big name player and Felix has a really good chance to win this. Woo hoo and allez Felix!

• Love 3

Vika vs Serena in the second round at Indian Wells was a helluva match. They both had major serving issues, and yet some of those shots from both were just ridiculously beautiful. That felt like a damn quarterfinal. Meanwhile, that part of the draw is damn brutal. Hello, Mugu, in the third.

• Love 2

Is Djokovic injured or is this just a momentary slump after the last four months or so of domination. Pretty surprising loss to Khloschrieber yesterday. Also Zverev got dismantled but I did hear the announcers say he has some type of injury. And of course Serena retired in her match against Muguruza. Bit early in the year for all those injuries. 

Serena's supposedly not injured, she's ill. Half the draw seemed to be ill, blowing noses every changeover. Not that plenty of players haven't played through colds or whatnot. Bouchard and Zverev were also both workin' the tissues hard in their matches.

When Serena sat down to retire it seemed like she was calling for the trainer and doctor anyway, like she made it clear she wanted medical attention but was not asking for a medical timeout. I couldn't make out what she was actually saying. When they were having her get off court there was a moment when she was getting out of the chair that looked sort of like she got up and almost sat right back down. They had been about to take her blood pressure a few minutes earlier. She may have been super light-headed. 

54 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Monfils, I will NOT allow you to get my hopes up despite that ass-whupping you laid on Kohlschreiber.  But maybe the new coach and new girlfriend have tamed the crazy.

I am not going to get my hopes up either.  Nope nope nope. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I wouldn't call it crazy, just disappointing, especially to the fans who paid to see him.  However, I can understand him wanting to sit this one out due to injury.  Unfortunately, shit happens.

I do feel sorry for the people who paid good $$$ to see the Federer/Nadal match.  I know I was looking forward to seeing it tonight on tv.  It was nice of Federer to come out on court and give an interview, but I'm sure that was a disappointed crowd.  I hope Nadal is ok.

I'm glad Rafa took the conservative decision, however disappointing it was to the entire tennis community.  We need him to stand in the way of a Djoker Slam by winning RG for the 12th time!  Get better, Rafa!

• Love 5

No comments about the amazing Miss Bianca? What an amazing week she had and what fighting spirit to win it all at the end. She was #158 at the beginning of the year and then something switched on and she's been playing great since then and is now #24 in the rankings. And the exciting thing is, at 18, she's only going to get better. I thought maybe she had run out of gas near the end of the third and Kerber was playing pretty well but Andreescu sucked it up and played, as she loves to say, crazy. 😛

That was some vintage Venus today against Katsakina. Tons of just ridiculous angles. Great play at net. Even at match point, sure Katsakina had not been playing well but oh man, do not give V an overhead on match point. You.Will.Lose. And she did.

• Love 2

Not that I'm questioning the impression of Collins as I've shared my first impression of her after first seeing her two years ago at the Australian Open. But I feel like I'm missing some context here to what makes her particularly nasty this week. Anyone care to share?

In other news, why did I know Thiem would go from the high of winning his first Masters title, to losing early in Miami? I keep saying it. That's why these younger players cannot truly challenge Big 3 players - because they're not consistent enough. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

So, I'm not sure if this is specific to this week, but one general thing I've noticed about Collins on a number of occasions is...you know that thing quite a few players do where they sort of...roar... to amp themselves up? When I see other players do that there's no hint of anger or violence in it (or at least that's my perception). It reads like a release of energy, about themselves. But when Collins does it, she scares me. It reads like a threat. She seems genuinely angry. Not at herself. Not necessarily at her opponent, just in general, even when she's winning. It's unnerving. I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but... like two people could say the same sort of thing angrily, and I can hear the difference between one of them who is dangerous and another who is not, there's a sound to it, and she sounds like the former, not the latter. It's happened enough times that I can't really bear to watch her play.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

So, I'm not sure if this is specific to this week, but one general thing I've noticed about Collins on a number of occasions is...you know that thing quite a few players do where they sort of...roar... to amp themselves up? When I see other players do that there's no hint of anger or violence in it (or at least that's my perception). It reads like a release of energy, about themselves. But when Collins does it, she scares me. It reads like a threat. She seems genuinely angry. Not at herself. Not necessarily at her opponent, just in general, even when she's winning. It's unnerving. I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but... like two people could say the same sort of thing angrily, and I can hear the difference between one of them who is dangerous and another who is not, there's a sound to it, and she sounds like the former, not the latter. It's happened enough times that I can't really bear to watch her play.

No I get you. Like I said, I've shared this before but I always remember the first time I noticed her was in that epic match at the Australian Open against Simona Halep. And Collins had multiple match points during the match and it was definitely one of those "by the skin of her teeth" wins for Simona. 

And I will always remember how I felt about Collins' reaction after she lost. Like you said, I've seen other players be upset at themselves for losing a match they were so close to winning, be disappointed, etc. But I've never felt, like I did with her that day, that if they could, they would have taken out the whole damn stadium. Girl looked straight up psychotically pissed. 

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 7:01 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Not that I'm questioning the impression of Collins as I've shared my first impression of her after first seeing her two years ago at the Australian Open. But I feel like I'm missing some context here to what makes her particularly nasty this week. Anyone care to share?

Her match against Whitney Osuigwe was specifically what made me log in and comment on her behavior.

Osuigwe is 16 years old, only playing in maybe her 2nd or 3rd big tourney and Collins came out expecting to dominate her.  When it wasn't playing out that way, she started SHRIEKING and screaming, "COME ON!!" and all kinds of theatrics including racquet slamming that definitely read as an intimidation tactic toward Whitney.  As theatremouse described it, "It reads like a threat. She seems genuinely angry."  She was pissed that this young, upstart was hanging with her game for game and her behavior was beyond unsportsmanlike.  Poor Whitney let the magnitude of the moment overwhelm her and she lost a 1st set tie-break after having the set on her racquet.  Her dad came out to give her a pep-talk after the set loss but it didn't help---she was so dejected.  Poor baby---she's got a big future ahead of her.  Collins?  May she crawl back to the depths of irrelevance from whence she came.

• Love 3

Serena used to use the fist-shaking "COME ON!" as an intimidation tactic, especially with the younger players, although not so much now since she's won everything and, so, no need for intimidation.  But even when she did it, I never thought she'd come over the net and try to throttle somebody.  Collins acts like she could do anything.  In short, Serena was intimidating, but she was never unhinged and scary like Collins is.  

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Serena used to use the fist-shaking "COME ON!" as an intimidation tactic, especially with the younger players, although not so much now since she's won everything and, so, no need for intimidation.  But even when she did it, I never thought she'd come over the net and try to throttle somebody.  Collins acts like she could do anything.  In short, Serena was intimidating, but she was never unhinged and scary like Collins is.  

What’s funny is that people used to say that about Serena, but she was saying it to herself, not her opponent. She’d say it after she was playing badly in a close match and finally made a good point. She was telling herself to get it together. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, topanga said:

What’s funny is that people used to say that about Serena, but she was saying it to herself, not her opponent. She’d say it after she was playing badly in a close match and finally made a good point. She was telling herself to get it together. 

Nawww, lol.  I'll grant that some of the time she was saying it to herself, but there were other times when she definitely looked like she was trying to intimidate the shit out of her opponent.  At least that's the way it looked to me, and I daresay it looked that way to her opponent as well.

My boy Felix is still astounding everyone with his tennis and his achievements. Youngest player to reach the Miami semifinals after his win against Borna Coric tonight. Tomorrow he'll play John Isner which should be quite an experience for him. Felix is a pretty good returner but he's never run into anyone like Isner.

The media is going nuts over Felix and at 18 he's remarkably composed and well spoken. He says he's enjoying each match as he plays it because no one knows what the future will be. And that gap toothed smile of his is just adorable. 😍

• Love 2

FAA is absolutely adorable!  And I like Denis too.

So cool to have both Canadian teens making the semis.  It doesn't mean I'm not rooting for Roger though. 🙂

The ESPN guys just noticed that Felix's and Denis's ages add up to Federer's age!  He could be their father.

(edited)

This doesn’t really have anything to do with anything, but I was scrolling through Twitter and saw that the Tennis Channel, who I follow, retweeted Juan Martin del Potro, who I do not (yet).

Now it’s no secret delPo is a good-looking man, but the profile picture he used for his Twitter?  Holy hell. It made a hottie into someone blazingly fine.  Such a great pic.  I know, so shallow but that’s what I do, heh.

Edited by mojoween
1 hour ago, khyber said:

So Gimelstob is quitting. Looks like Djoker was one of the few board members who didn't care about his violence.

The first sentence surprises me; the second does not.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was not surprised Gimelstob was allowed to quit. For some reason the ATP is in his corner, and this resolution was the best *for Gimelstob*; therefore it is what happened. And here is the Tennis Channel's statement: "Justin has informed us that the leave of absence he began in November is ending with his resignation from Tennis Channel. We wish him well in this challenging time.” Aaargh. I fear he will return to one or both organizations some day.

I was expecting Andy to be the first player to say something. I was not expecting the next and only other player to be Stan.

Edited by dcalley

So close Monfils and yet so far away. Interesting start to the clay season so far. Rafa doesn't look invincible at all, Novak still hasn't won a Masters title since winning the Australian Open, Federer doesn't look too bad, considering he hasn't played the clay season at all in two years. Zverev still seems lost in the wilderness somewhere and Thiem is looking strong again like he often does during the clay season but curious to see if he can make a run like he did again at last year's French Open. 

Yay for the Golden Greek! That was an amazing match.  

Bummer though that Stefanos won't even have 24 hours to recover, while Dj is pretty fresh. I don't see how he will be able to bring the same intensity again tomorrow afternoon. But I will be rooting for him! 

• Love 1

I'm okay with the new stars taking out my aging heroes, but they have to effing beat Djokovic too, all right?!!  Got it, Stefanos?!!!!  (Very annoyed with Thiem today.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Guess Rafa got a little tired of all the questioning of whether or not he was still the "King of Clay". His entire week in Rome was the most impressive he's been the whole clay season. And that's not to say he played badly during the season, since he made the semi-finals of every tournament. But a lot of weaknesses was exposed, particularly his serve.

But he looked pretty lethal this week. I know some will say Djokovich was probably a little tired from the long quarter-final match against Del Potro and then the semi-final against Swartzman. And that's probably true but Rafa had a lot of outright winners in the match and just played a really impressive match, save for a few hiccups in the second set when he had break chances. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

What in the hell is Serena wearing? Listen I respect Serena's talent but girlfriend is straight up tacky at times. Hell part of me is wondering if she's struggling so much right now in this match because of that hideous outfit. 

As long as she is comfortable and plays well, I don’t care what she wears.  If she can annoy the French, even better.  Of course, the stipulation is that she has to play well for her statement to have any teeth.

• Love 2

Warrior. Mother. Goddess. Queen. Seriously?

Apparently, Serena has completely bought in to the marketing campaign.  We're in for another year of Serena, Gaia, mother to all. 

(hey! did you guys know Serena had a kid?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

So I learned that the look was designed by Virgil Abloh and that doesn't surprise me as he is most definitely the new "It" guy in the fashion world, as the first black designer to lead Louis Vuitton's menswear line.

And listen, I'm always here for representation but straight up, I'm still waiting to be impressed by Virgil's designs. So it's no surprise I didn't love this look for Serena but it's whatever. Glad to see she pulled it together in the match. Will be interesting to see how far she goes since she really hasn't played that many tournaments since the Australian Open. 

To be honest, as usual it's hard to say what the hell will happen with the women's draw. I fully expect a random, surprising finalist or even finalists. The men is far more predictable - if Rafa doesn't win #12, it's likely going to *groan* Djokovic or maybe something truly surprising will happen since Stan won and Thiem will finally deliver on the promise he's shown on clay for the last few years. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

USA's Tommy Paul was looking great against Thiem. Played fantastic 3 sets, but then he fizzled. I had not heard of him before, but hope to see him again soon. 

Speaking of outfits, what is that Nike pattern with the trees and the skeletons all about. ...I guess I just don't get fashion! giggle.gif

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1

I thought Serena looked fantastic.  It's rare that a tennis outfit that tries to be creative actually looks good, but I think this one looks great.  The writing on it sounds pretty pretentious, though.  <Eye-roll.>

• Love 1