Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Kimmy Goes on a Date!

The reveal that Jacqueline is Native American trod a very fine line between funny/borderline offensive and straight-out offensive, but it stuck the landing.

I think they're going to minimize Buckley time, and that's only going to be a positive.

• Love 4

The reveal that Jacqueline is Native American trod a very fine line between funny/borderline offensive and straight-out offensive, but it stuck the landing.

I wonder though, why not cast an actual Native American for that part?  Would that not have been funny unless they found someone pale enough?  Or is that actress Native American, in which case never mind.

• Love 1

Grant was played by John McMartin from the long-ago film Sweet Charity. Love it when a show brings in the old-timers.

I keep flinching when the native American stuff but don't go into full-tilt outrage.

• Love 2

When Jacqueline's dad said the line about crying over the litter I almost died. I loved how unexpected her backstory was! I assumed they were going with I similar story to 30 rock, with Jane's character being from a white trash/hillbilly family, but this was unexpected and sweet- she still has her medallion!

• Love 8

For me it hit perfectly with funny, mostly because it made something ridiculous without making it offensive. I mean Jacqueline's parents were probably the most normal people we have seen on the show. It really reminded me of some of the jokes that In Living Color would do back in the day.

• Love 13

I wonder though, why not cast an actual Native American for that part?  Would that not have been funny unless they found someone pale enough?  Or is that actress Native American, in which case never mind.

Well, they would have had to find someone who didn't look Native American otherwise the plot point wouldn't work, which sort of defeats the purpose of casting a Native American.

Her surprise background was not just for laughs, but to give a rationale for her not looking too closely at Kimmy's background and odd behavior.

I'm loving this show so far, but trying to pace myself in viewing. Very much a vintage 30 Rock feel to me.

• Love 10
(edited)

It makes you squeamish because actual Native American actors are so rarely afforded opportunities to tell their own stories on American television.  Again and again we have white actors cast as Native Americans.  Whether it's part of a "joke" or Not it happens far too frequently and is incredibly disingenuous.

I'm not the hugest fan of Jane Krakowski and there was no real actual need for her to play a Native American woman ashamed of her race.  Yes, I do get the "joke" but that doesn't mean I like it.  

Look at the casting of the movie Pan to see that whitewashing is still happening in 2015.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3332064/

There are many many many Native American women out there where you wouldn't be able to immediately identify their race.  Why do you think so many cross-race casting happens in the first place?  Because people assume audiences are dumb enough to buy it.  

If the story absolutely had to have a woman who was ashamed of and hiding her Native American race, then the show could have still cast a Native American actor (or even partly Native American) to portray that.  If you think no Native American actor could ever pass for white, then the actual joke in the show falls apart, doesn't it?

Even Saved By the Bell handled race better than this.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10

If you think no Native American actor could ever pass for white, then the actual joke in the show falls apart, doesn't it?

Ah that's it, that's what bothers me: there was no reason they couldn't cast a Native American who could bleach her hair and pass for white, unless the joke is only funny because she's actually white.  So it's like fourth-wall haha wink-wink funny. 

• Love 4

I liked the fact that she is Native American and thought it added some layers. My reasons: 1) Her parents were played by Native American actors; 2) Her family was not shown living in a tee pee or wearing animal skins, but living the way most Native Americans do; 3)I thought the joke was really on Jacqueline because she was from this interesting and rich culture but wanted to abandon it for the most lame and shallow existence there is. Plus the overall theme of the show seems to be people trying to re-invent themselves (Kimmie, Titus, Jacqueline) but not completely succeeding.

• Love 21
When Jacqueline's dad said the line about crying over the litter I almost died.

Yeah, I'm old enough to get that joke too!  Don't know if that makes me happy or sad, but I do know that it was funny.

I kinda hate the Native American subplot. Points for getting actual Native American actors to portray her parents and to not steep their existence in stereotypes and racism, but it makes me really uncomfortable. I love Jane Krakowski, but if this is the way the show wants to go, I would have preferred that they cast an actual Native American actress. Here's hoping they write it off next season as a Botox-induced hallucination and call it a day.

"Where is Cupertino?" might just be my favorite line from the whole season.

I had seen Ellie Kemper talk about her Renee Zellwegger impression in an interview, something about how it was the only impression she could do back in her improv days, but that quick moment in the mirror totally freaked me out. She does look like her!

• Love 2

It makes you squeamish because actual Native American actors are so rarely afforded opportunities to tell their own stories on American television.  Again and again we have white actors cast as Native Americans.  Whether it's part of a "joke" or Not it happens far too frequently and is incredibly disingenuous.

I'm not the hugest fan of Jane Krakowski and there was no real actual need for her to play a Native American woman ashamed of her race.  Yes, I do get the "joke" but that doesn't mean I like it.  

Look at the casting of the movie Pan to see that whitewashing is still happening in 2015.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3332064/

There are many many many Native American women out there where you wouldn't be able to immediately identify their race.  Why do you think so many cross-race casting happens in the first place?  Because people assume audiences are dumb enough to buy it.  

If the story absolutely had to have a woman who was ashamed of and hiding her Native American race, then the show could have still cast a Native American actor (or even partly Native American) to portray that.  If you think no Native American actor could ever pass for white, then the actual joke in the show falls apart, doesn't it?

Even Saved By the Bell handled race better than this.

Brilliant. This is exactly what is wrong with this episode and any episodes that spring from it in the future. Sadly, this reflects the criticism Tina Fey often legitimately gets, that she champions women's issues, but treats PoC, the way she accuses men of treating women. Perhaps she is related to Patricia Arquette and her BS Oscar speech.

• Love 1

I just started watching this show today and it's pretty good so far. It's entertaining and I love Ellie Kemper's character. I haven't been a fan of Ellie or Jane before, so I'm very fresh when it comes to these two actresses.

I do agree that the Native American storyline could be borderline offensive, and if they wanted the joke to be authentic, they could have cast someone who actually has ancestral roots, such as Heather Locklear or someone like that. Then the joke would still be present, but the actress would actually have grounds with Native American descent. But it wasn't that bad; it could have been a lot worse. 

I'm not a fan of Titus either, so his storylines have just been alright and occasionally mildly annoying. 

Kimmy's the best character and I think Ellie Kemper brings something great that makes her not annoying like she could be. There's so many layers to her, especially with her being stuck in a bunker for fifteen years. I also like Kimmy's landlady a lot. It really is a great show; it's funny and fresh and I've chuckled at a few jokes. Even if I'm not fond of Titus, or in love with Jacqueline, they're not unbearable to me (yet?). 

I wasn't sure I was supposed to believe Jacqueline was the biological child of the Native American couple; I assumed she was the adopted child. But you guys are unanimous that we're meant to believe she's the biological child, so I'm glad to have that cleared up.

(And I'm fine with it.)

I vaguely remember hearing something about the subplot of Jacqueline being from Native American descent, and I guess this was it. Not sure what to think.  I am bummed that they didn't use an actress who really did have Native American background (but could pass herself as white), because it's rare to see Native American actors outside of westerns or shows set out in the west.  At the same time, I did like that they avoided cliches with her actual parents, and their race wasn't played for laughs, but the laughs came from how ridiculous Jacqueline was.  In the end, I guess my feelings are that Jane Krakowski is perfect at these vain type roles, but I kind of wish they gave her a different background.

Besides that, I enjoyed all the stuff with Kimmy and her failed date(s), and Titus/Lillian.  Glad we got more of Lillian this time.  Carol Kane is awesome.