Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OSM Mom

Michelle and JimBob aka J'Chelle and Boob

Recommended Posts

My inner home improvement calculator is guessing they have about $500k in that remodel. (People, FFS stop writing about it like they did any of the actual work, okay?)

If they can find a buyer, they would clear about a million. But are there really a ton of people with that kind of money there? And, Duggars? You’re going to pay capital gains taxes on that...right?

ETA: Oh dear, I just now realized that when I italicized “People” to indicate the magazine instead it might have read as if I was being snotty to my lovely fellow snarkers on this forum. Yikes! 

Mea culpa.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

If I have 1.8 mil to blow, I'm not sinking it into a Duggar reno. You know Boob cut corners at every possible turn.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

My inner home improvement calculator is guessing they have about $500k in that remodel. (People, FFS stop writing about it like they did any of the actual work, okay?)

If they can find a buyer, they would clear about a million. But are there really a ton of people with that kind of money there? And, Duggars? You’re going to pay capital gains taxes on that...right?

Who did the work then? I still would not want to buy anything the Duggars had a hand in. What happened to the house Jill and Deredick were living in? Did they sell it?

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The article was written like JimBob and Michelle actually got their hands dirty...which I doubt. As someone who has done a ton of DIY work with my husband over the years, writing checks is NOT “doing the work.” Pet peeve.

It’s entirely possible JimBob supervised and that he roped in whatever male offspring and adjacents he could. It’s been a mystery as to what Bin actually does, for instance.

But there’s no way Michelle ever put down her Starbucks long enough to do anything.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The article was written like JimBob and Michelle actually got their hands dirty...which I doubt. As someone who has done a ton of DIY work with my husband over the years, writing checks is NOT “doing the work.” Pet peeve.

It’s entirely possible JimBob supervised and that he roped in whatever male offspring and adjacents he could. It’s been a mystery as to what Bin actually does, for instance.

But there’s no way Michelle ever put down her Starbucks long enough to do anything.

I wish it were true that the boys did the work. That would raise my opinion of them instead of picturing them lolling around the TTH doing nothing.

When the house was described as mansion, I was picturing one of those beautiful old homes in Charleston or Savannah, not this bunker. If I were in the market for a house I wouldn’t be able get past the exterior even to see that the inside isn’t so bad.

With three kitchens, maybe the buyer will chop it up into apartments, if zoning allows.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

That's the house they were supposedly fixing up for Si and Lauren. I doubt they were ever getting that house it was just a way for Boob to show off the house on tv. 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

22 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Who did the work then? I still would not want to buy anything the Duggars had a hand in. What happened to the house Jill and Deredick were living in? Did they sell it?

Yes, the McMansion sold maybe 3 years ago. Now zoned as commercial.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I wish it were true that the boys did the work. That would raise my opinion of them instead of picturing them lolling around the TTH doing nothing.

When the house was described as mansion, I was picturing one of those beautiful old homes in Charleston or Savannah, not this bunker. If I were in the market for a house I wouldn’t be able get past the exterior even to see that the inside isn’t so bad.

With three kitchens, maybe the buyer will chop it up into apartments, if zoning allows.

Yeah, that's a possibility, I guess. Especially because there are actually four kitchens. The Duggs for some reason added three kitchens to the house. (maybe they had that chop-it-into-apartments thing in mind...)

It would require a very large additional infusion of money, though.

Because most of the house is huge huge super-high-ceilinged rooms. It's also not clear whether the four kitchens are near each other -- they may well be. .... I wouldn't want to be the architect charged with making  it into three or four separate units, given the way it's structured. And I especially wouldn't want to be the buyer who'd have to pay for what would be a massive additional project.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, that's a possibility, I guess. Especially because there are actually four kitchens. The Duggs for some reason added three kitchens to the house. (maybe they had that chop-it-into-apartments thing in mind.) .

It would require a very large additional infusion of money, though.

Because most of the house is huge huge super-high-ceilinged rooms. It's also not clear whether the four kitchens are near each other -- they may well be. .... I wouldn't want to be the architect charged with making  it into three or four separate units, given the way it's structured. And I especially wouldn't want to be the buyer who'd have to pay for what would be a massive additional project.  

This is a perfect home for Kodouche and his wives. This would make a great cross over show. 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 17

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

https://people.com/home/jim-bob-michelle-duggar-flip-house-for-sale/

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar List $1.8 Million Flip House They Reportedly Bought for $230,000

Why would you need a house with the same number of bedrooms as it has kitchens? I mean, if the number is one and one, maybe, but this place has four bedrooms and four kitchens? Holy wasted space, Batman.

(I found the listing here.)

Edited by jcbrown · Reason: to add URL
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Additional philosophical question: Of what use are your three additional kitchens,  if the ingredients and tools you use are in kitchen number one?  (and kitchen  number one is huge....so it can  store everything....and then some)

Maybe you store different staples and tools in different kitchens because you really really want to run up the steps on your Fitbit?

Are they imagining some kind of super-kosher arrangement where  you have a meat kitchen and a dairy kitchen? And then two more kitchens...because you also....have one strict vegan in the house. One person who won't go near a GMO.....And six teetotalers and one person who cooks everything with wine including oatmeal?

It's nuts. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

That house is cavernous. And the listing is light on photos considering it's 10,000+ SQ feet with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and 4 kitchens. 

The finishings might be cheap but they're on trend. The kitchens (I think there were only 3 pictured?) we're pretty, and I like some of the architectural details like the spiral staircase and the big windows.

But I'd never buy it even if it were in my price range and well done. Four kitchens is just stupid and there's not enough bedrooms for that large of a house. 

I'm not surprised JB and Michelle bought it though. Few bedrooms, no real living space, and to many kitchens sound exactly like their house. 

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, McManda said:

That house is cavernous. And the listing is light on photos considering it's 10,000+ SQ feet with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and 4 kitchens. 

The finishings might be cheap but they're on trend. The kitchens (I think there were only 3 pictured?) we're pretty, and I like some of the architectural details like the spiral staircase and the big windows.

But I'd never buy it even if it were in my price range and well done. Four kitchens is just stupid and there's not enough bedrooms for that large of a house. 

I'm not surprised JB and Michelle bought it though. Few bedrooms, no real living space, and to many kitchens sound exactly like their house. 

There are nine bathrooms, actually. Although five are not full baths. The Duggs added five of the now-nine bathrooms too. Along with the three kitchens they added. 

Four bedrooms and nine bathrooms is as ridiculous as four kitchens, I think. 

Maybe that's the problem. The Duggs' math skills weren't up to figuring out how many of each room they actually had put in. Let alone how many someone would want or need. 

I mean -- nine bathrooms with only four bedrooms. So three bedrooms have two occupants each. And the fourth bedroom has three occupants. But although the bedrooms are crammed full, each occupant has his or her own bathroom. 

Oh yeah, that makes sense. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Who needs 3 kitchens?

Maybe TLC is planning a Sister Wives crossover show?

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

There are quite a few ugly McMansions in the NWA area, but that one might take the cake. It's so ugly it actually rendered me speechless when I first saw a picture of it. 

I think that's going to be on the market a long time and there's no way they're getting anything resembling the asking price. The local real estate market is booming, and there are a lot nicer, more normal houses that are much cheaper.

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

There are quite a few ugly McMansions in the NWA area, but that one might take the cake. It's so ugly it actually rendered me speechless when I first saw a picture of it. 

I think that's going to be on the market a long time and there's no way they're getting anything resembling the asking price. The local real estate market is booming, and there are a lot nicer, more normal houses that are much cheaper.

Yep. I looked around at listings some and most everything I saw that was 1.5 million and up was on a lake or on a country club or included 30 acres of lush forest or something. Nobody needs to pay 1.8 million for this location. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

They projected their own weird ideas onto the flip.  Don't you know you only need 4 bedrooms in any home?  A master, a boys' room, a girls' room, and a guest room! 🙄

I could see adding a kitchen if there was some sort of mother-in-law suite.  A lot of new homes in my area feature a flex suite for parents or grown kids.  

I do understand an ensuite for each bedroom, and a couple of powder rooms, but 5 ?  That's insane.  

And only two A/C units for 10,000+ sq ft?  That's not enough.  Some of those rooms are going to be uncomfortable in the summer heat.  And the units will have to run constantly.

  • Like 17
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

According to a link in that article, the median listing price in that area is $199k. 

And the lot is less than three acres. There’s more room inside the house than outside of it.

 I’m thinking Ma and Pa may have overshot just a tad.

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

According to a link in that article, the median listing price in that area is $199k. 

And the lot is less than three acres. There’s more room inside the house than outside of it.

 I’m thinking Ma and Pa may have overshot just a tad.

This makes me happier than anything I've heard about the Duggars since.....

...ever, maybe? Well, let's just say I can't remember the last thing I heard about the Duggars that made me this happy. 

Wake the hell up, Duggars. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wait, are y'all telling me that your ideal home doesn't four bedrooms,  four kitchens, and a gun room? 

From the People article:

"Upstairs, the sprawling master suite is outfitted with a new freestanding soaking tub and a separate walk-in shower. The home also boasts a screening room and an elevator. One of its more unusual elements is a secure room designed to store guns."

The TTH has two kitchens right. This house sounds a cross between the TTH and the Putnam family home. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ha, I came here just to share a realtor.com link to this monstrosity. 

My first thought was, maybe Jim Bob and Mullet bought it to move into so they wouldn't have to (ask TLC to) clean the TTH, then decided it was too much work to move. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Additional philosophical question: Of what use are your three additional kitchens,  if the ingredients and tools you use are in kitchen number one?  (and kitchen  number one is huge....so it can  store everything....and then some)

Maybe you store different staples and tools in different kitchens because you really really want to run up the steps on your Fitbit?

Are they imagining some kind of super-kosher arrangement where  you have a meat kitchen and a dairy kitchen? And then two more kitchens...because you also....have one strict vegan in the house. One person who won't go near a GMO.....And six teetotalers and one person who cooks everything with wine including oatmeal?

It's nuts. 

A meat kitchen, a dairy kitchen, a Passover meat kitchen and a Passover dairy kitchen. Would require separate everything. 

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Wait, are y'all telling me that your ideal home doesn't four bedrooms,  four kitchens, and a gun room? 

From the People article:

"Upstairs, the sprawling master suite is outfitted with a new freestanding soaking tub and a separate walk-in shower. The home also boasts a screening room and an elevator. One of its more unusual elements is a secure room designed to store guns."

The TTH has two kitchens right. This house sounds a cross between the TTH and the Putnam family home. 

It's a Fundie Prepper house, waiting on the rapture

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

They projected their own weird ideas onto the flip.  Don't you know you only need 4 bedrooms in any home?  A master, a boys' room, a girls' room, and a guest room! 🙄

I could see adding a kitchen if there was some sort of mother-in-law suite.  A lot of new homes in my area feature a flex suite for parents or grown kids.  

I do understand an ensuite for each bedroom, and a couple of powder rooms, but 5 ?  That's insane.  

And only two A/C units for 10,000+ sq ft?  That's not enough.  Some of those rooms are going to be uncomfortable in the summer heat.  And the units will have to run constantly.

The only thing I could see this working as would be an extended family compound type situation...which, for all we know there might be some sort of demand for in that neck of the woods. Probably not at that price, though.

In all reality, it sounds more suitable for JB's various inlaws than anything else. Room for about 5 separate families all under one roof without that pesky need for privacy or autonomy of any kind...

  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

In all reality, it sounds more suitable for JB's various inlaws than anything else. Room for about 5 separate families all under one roof without that pesky need for privacy or autonomy of any kind...

I'm ashamed my mind went here, but inside me must be a TLC exec just waiting to spring out. I immediately thought that was a more promising (but certainly very horrifying) reality show premise than Counting On. If only because if it was uncensored, there might be some real passive aggressive shit going down. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

According to a link in that article, the median listing price in that area is $199k. 

And the lot is less than three acres. There’s more room inside the house than outside of it.

 I’m thinking Ma and Pa may have overshot just a tad.

Yes, it's just insane why they would think it was a good investment. I'm less familiar with Springdale than Fayetteville, its next door neighbor, but Springdale is considered kind of ratty in comparison, anyway. I know people who make a big deal about moving a couple of streets over and ending up with a Fayetteville or Rogers address just because they consider Springdale less desirable. 

In Fayetteville, you can get a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1900-2000 square foot house for about $200,000, give or take a few thousand. If you do happen to need more space/rooms, they've got 4 or 5 bedroom houses with 3,000+ square feet for about $500,000-600,000. That would be more than enough--probably too much house--for the average family. 

All the features listed in that house they're trying to flip are just bizarre non selling points. Who wants a 10,000 square foot house with only 4 bedrooms but 4 kitchens?

And who wants a 10,000 square foot house with only 2 A/Cs in an Arkansas summer? Nobody who has ever spent any time in Arkansas.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Is it possible this house could be used as an event space? That's what came to mind when I heard about all the kitchens and bathrooms. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

The only thing I could see this working as would be an extended family compound type situation...which, for all we know there might be some sort of demand for in that neck of the woods. Probably not at that price, though.

In all reality, it sounds more suitable for JB's various inlaws than anything else. Room for about 5 separate families all under one roof without that pesky need for privacy or autonomy of any kind...

I was going to say something like this. Not in a skeevy way, but a lot of families in my neighborhood in chicago live in 2 flats (duplexes for the rest of the country)- lots of expended family structures. People have their privacy but are close by for elderly parents, disabled adults and children that need care. It’s worked out really well for my family, I could see JB buying one of these things and having either the older kids who don’t marry live there, along with a couple that only has a few kids. It’s better than living in the TTH, if we are living in the world where these are the only two options. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Portia said:

Is it possible this house could be used as an event space? That's what came to mind when I heard about all the kitchens and bathrooms. 

It's listed as residential. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

21 minutes ago, Zella said:

All the features listed in that house they're trying to flip are just bizarre non selling points. Who wants a 10,000 square foot house with only 4 bedrooms but 4 kitchens?

And who wants a 10,000 square foot house with only 2 A/Cs in an Arkansas summer? Nobody who has ever spent any time in Arkansas.

And even if the inside was flawless, you still have that awful round exterior to contend with.  It'll never be sold.  A big white elephant.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I can’t get past adding kitchens and all those bathrooms. Those are the two most expensive types of rooms to build out. Bathrooms (especially half baths) you can do fairly cheaply compared to kitchens, which are insanely expensive per square foot. Especially as those photos look pretty high end.

 I’ve seen houses with additional “kitchens” in bar areas or rec rooms, but four? It makes absolutely no sense. 

ETA: I wonder if the original floor plan had bedrooms they converted to baths and kitchens? 10,000 sq ft and four bedrooms. Bizarre.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

And while I’m at it, I can’t imagine how much a place like that would echo. I have a nervous rescue dog and he barks a lot and at a frequency and volume that I am convinced has taken years off my life expectancy. Fortunately I love him anyway.

Can you imagine a barker in that place? Or a bunch of little kids?

There aren’t enough area rugs in the world to make that anything less than hell.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's listed as residential. 

So's the TTH. It's still used as an informal event space all the time.

Maybe the bedrooms are 2500 square feet each?

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Portia said:

Is it possible this house could be used as an event space? That's what came to mind when I heard about all the kitchens and bathrooms. 

That crossed my mind, too. I still wonder whether that's not the idea.

But there's not much parking at all, it seems. Unless you just want to make the whole lawn (which isn't all that big) into a parking lot. ... That would be a zoning issue, obviously, But maybe....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

So's the TTH. It's still used as an informal event space all the time.

Maybe the bedrooms are 2500 square feet each?

I'm very curious about the size of the bedrooms. In the slideshow, they seem to show only one. Which seems pretty odd to me.

In fact, the slideshow's odd altogether, really. It shows -- I think -- only one bath and one half bath (of the nine) -- and only one bedroom. It doesn't show the gun room -- which I'd think was a significant feature. And doesn't show the garage. 

What it made me think was that the three bedrooms they don't show might be very small, actually. Or be just weird, somehow. 

You don't see many real-estate slideshows that barely show any of a house's actual features but just show different angles of the same big room over and over again. But that's pretty much what this one does. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I can image one could convert the mansion into several small spaces and either rent it out or list them on AirBnB, but its there really enough "draw" to that area?  It might work well in a touristic hot-spot.    It could also be turned into an super upscale retirement or assisted living facility, but I'm not sure what kind of zoning is required for those types of places.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

In fact, the slideshow's odd altogether, really. It shows -- I think -- only one bath and one half bath (of the nine) -- and only one bedroom. It doesn't show the gun room -- which I'd think was a significant feature. And doesn't show the garage. 

Wouldn't you stage a house like this with furniture, too?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

It may be that the realtor isn’t very good or more likely that she knows a big fat white elephant when she sees it and isn’t going to waste too much time on it.

JimBob without a doubt told her what the list price was going to be, period. He’s probably assuming the Duggar name is worth half a million. Snort..

Why isn’t Michelle selling it? Does she still have a license? 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I would not buy or rent anything connected to SlumBob or Mullet just to much negativity associated with them, besides that they just give me the creeps

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

It may be that the realtor isn’t very good or more likely that she knows a big fat white elephant when she sees it and isn’t going to waste too much time on it.

JimBob without a doubt told her what the list price was going to be, period. He’s probably assuming the Duggar name is worth half a million. Snort..

Why isn’t Michelle selling it? Does she still have a license? 

Drinking Starbucks coffee and walking on the treadmill tires her out. Plus she is MOTY, and Mother's Day is coming up. Work priority is the last thing on her mind.

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I can image one could convert the mansion into several small spaces and either rent it out or list them on AirBnB, but its there really enough "draw" to that area?  It might work well in a touristic hot-spot.    It could also be turned into an super upscale retirement or assisted living facility, but I'm not sure what kind of zoning is required for those types of places.

You could break it up, I suppose. But given the current layout, it would cost an additional fortune to do it. The architect fees alone would probably be enormous. And then you'd need all kinds of materials and creative tech to break the thing into rooms -- because none of the current rooms visible in the slideshow are anything like rectangular boxes one story high.  

It's mostly huge huge high-ceilinged open spaces surrounded by windows that you'd have to break up. And then if you put any kind of second floor or loft in those big spaces, the upper level would have no natural light -- unless it was a loft and the light was coming from below.....And if you did a loft, there'd be no privacy or individual living spaces really. 

Plus, nobody thinks the two air-conditioning units are sufficient for the house as it stands. And if you started walling off individual spaces, that would create a new air-circulation/heating-and-cooling nightmare, I think. Plus, of course, you'd have to rewire the huge high rooms to add outlets and so on in the walls of the new, smaller rooms. 

The size of the house suggests it could be broken into separate spaces. But the way the house is laid out inside makes that a megabucks task... And it'd probably end up looking even nuttier than it does now, too.....

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Wouldn't you stage a house like this with furniture, too?

Yeah....But if you're Jim Bob and that means you have to rent furniture (NICE furniture...cause you're trying to charge 1.8 million for the weird white elephant...and a lot of it, because the main rooms are gigantic), ah, no!  😣

Plus, choosing furniture that would truly enhance such a house would be a tough task. You'd have to hire a very good stager. And we know JB wouldn't pay for that.

And I expect the realtor knows the whole thing is kind of a joke, so they're  not going to shell out.....I'll bet the realtor is pretty sure they'll never get anything near their asking price. Looking at other houses in the area that have sold for 1.5 million or more, it's clear at a glance that this asking price is absurd. So if the agent doesn't know that, she's really a dummy .... I'd expect she just let Jim Bob jaw away and insist on his price, just so she didn't have to keep dealing with him. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I finally caved in and followed the links to the People and realtor.com stories about that gawdawfully strange house. Wow. Just, wow.

It has a bit in common with Cableland, a 19,500 square foot mansion built in the 1980's in Denver by cable TV zillionaire and philanthropist (and bachelor) Bill Daniels, in that it seems to have been designed and built for someone with plenty of money and no interest in having a typical house. Although Cableland isn't round and designed as a nuclear bunker; it's modern and IMO attractive.

I've been to events at Cableland, most recently in 2004, though I'm sure it hasn't changed much. It was definitely designed for a bachelor, who entertained on a large scale. Daniels was quite a philanthropist and the place has been the venue for events raising millions over its lifetime. It is a lovely place for a posh fundraising event. You don't feel you've wasted the effort when you arrive there dressed up and glammed up. 

When Daniels died, he willed the place to the City and County of Denver, to be used as the official residence of the Mayor. (We didn't have such a residence before that.) Although the City accepted the property as the official mayoral residence, no mayor has actually lived there. It's just not really designed as a family home, and our mayors have been married with children. However, it's available to rent for nonprofit events and I believe it does get used that way. 

Now, there's this oddball property that the Duggars hope to flip and not flop with. If the zoning allows (either by code or special variance or whatever they do there), it could be an event venue. If there's enough demand for such venues in the immediate area. And, if there aren't close-by neighbors to annoy and enough parking.

Because otherwise, for the love of dog, I can't get my head around having as many kitchens as bedrooms. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

What a truly bizarre property. It's as if someone told Dim Boob that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses and he thought, 'well then, I'm going to cram as many of those in my house as possible and get top dollar'. 

Kidding aside, my first thought when I saw that property was a cult compound or religious retreat. The four bedrooms could be dorm rooms or meeting rooms. The other possiblity is an unofficial event space. We know from past experience that the Dugs could care less about zoning laws and permits (cough...car lot...cough). The bedrooms could be used as offices for the staff managers and the ginormous open spaces for weddings, etc.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I finally caved in and followed the links to the People and realtor.com stories about that gawdawfully strange house. Wow. Just, wow.

It has a bit in common with Cableland, a 19,500 square foot mansion built in the 1980's in Denver by cable TV zillionaire and philanthropist (and bachelor) Bill Daniels, in that it seems to have been designed and built for someone with plenty of money and no interest in having a typical house. Although Cableland isn't round and designed as a nuclear bunker; it's modern and IMO attractive.

I've been to events at Cableland, most recently in 2004, though I'm sure it hasn't changed much. It was definitely designed for a bachelor, who entertained on a large scale. Daniels was quite a philanthropist and the place has been the venue for events raising millions over its lifetime. It is a lovely place for a posh fundraising event. You don't feel you've wasted the effort when you arrive there dressed up and glammed up. 

When Daniels died, he willed the place to the City and County of Denver, to be used as the official residence of the Mayor. (We didn't have such a residence before that.) Although the City accepted the property as the official mayoral residence, no mayor has actually lived there. It's just not really designed as a family home, and our mayors have been married with children. However, it's available to rent for nonprofit events and I believe it does get used that way. 

Now, there's this oddball property that the Duggars hope to flip and not flop with. If the zoning allows (either by code or special variance or whatever they do there), it could be an event venue. If there's enough demand for such venues in the immediate area. And, if there aren't close-by neighbors to annoy and enough parking.

Because otherwise, for the love of dog, I can't get my head around having as many kitchens as bedrooms. 

Yep. But there appear to be neighbors living quite close. And under present conditions -- unless they pave over pretty much the whole lawn -- very little parking. 

There's a picture here in the slideshow of the house as situated in the neighborhood.

Several neighbors right across the street and a road on at least two and maybe three sides -- again, right near the house. 

https://search.aprilhammhomes.com/listing/1111634?startrow=1&maxrows=15&sort=price_desc&redraw_map_bounds=false

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

What a truly bizarre property. It's as if someone told Dim Boob that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses and he thought, 'well then, I'm going to cram as many of those in my house as possible and get top dollar'. 

Kidding aside, my first thought when I saw that property was a cult compound or religious retreat. The four bedrooms could be dorm rooms or meeting rooms. The other possiblity is an unofficial event space. We know from past experience that the Dugs could care less about zoning laws and permits (cough...car lot...cough). The bedrooms could be used as offices for the staff managers and the ginormous open spaces for weddings, etc.

I think this is really all about how stupid and isolated the Duggars are. You could turn this into an event space if there were any room for parking available -- but there's not! 

Seems likely to me they made the place as much like the TTH as possible because they think that's the way houses should be.....and,  as we all notice over and over -- it makes no sense!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Event space really does make more sense than a residential home, if they could get away with it. 

There are actually a fair number of companies headquartered in the general area. Besides the obvious answer of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, there's also Tyson's, JB Hunt, Arvest, etc. I could see there being some light use of it for corporate events, though I don't know that they'd necessarily have it booked solid.

Edited to add: In the immortal words of Gilda Radner, "Never mind!" since the parking would be a nightmare. LOL

The religious retreat also makes more sense, though for the love of God they need more A/C units. 😱

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

Event space really does make more sense than a residential home, if they could get away with it. 

There are actually a fair number of companies headquartered in the general area. Besides the obvious answer of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, there's also Tyson's, JB Hunt, Arvest, etc. I could see there being some light use of it for corporate events, though I don't know that they'd necessarily have it booked solid.

Edited to add: In the immortal words of Gilda Radner, "Never mind!" since the parking would be a nightmare. LOL

The religious retreat also makes more sense, though for the love of God they need more A/C units. 😱

Exactly. 

The problem is -- and how dumb are they that they didn't notice this? (well, we know how dumb they are...but still) -- it's just in the wrong space. 

For a religious retreat house, or a corporate event space or wedding venue or whatever, you want at least some seclusion and pretty nature outside if you're in a suburban-type environment.

But this building is on such a small lot that once you paved enough of the lot over for even relatively minimal parking and entrance and exit roads and such  (if zoning even allowed you to do it) there'd be no room left for the trees, shrubs, etc. that could make the place more pretty and serene. There would be literally no room for it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size