Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 3/9/15

The problem isn't with knowing, the problem is with connecting the dots -- that X will lead to Y will lead to Z.  Experience tends to promote that kind of thinking.

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 1

Given how many stories are in the news about this exact thing, I'd hope that by age 18 you might start realizing it could happen to you without it actually happening to you.

Edited by dubbel zout

Yeah, but with those kids, that song seemed pretty rehearsed. It's possible they've been doing it for a long time without consequence, and this is the first time they are being called on it.

Doesn't excuse anything. It just might be part of the cluelessness/entitlement.

The problem isn't with knowing, the problem is with connecting the dots -- that X will lead to Y will lead to Z.  Experience tends to promote that kind of thinking.

As my pappy always told me, "Good judgement comes from experience.  Most experience comes from bad judgement."

• Love 2

What's almost surprising is that these guys sang that song when it was so easy for anyone to record it and then post it.  I mean really, don't kids realize that anything and everything they do these days has the potential, almost very likelihood, of being recorded and posted?  You'd think that alone would keep most in line.

But if they think they're right and that there's nothing wrong with their racism, there's nothing to guard themselves against.

But the frat boys did know they were being recorded.  And college students are aware that racism is unacceptable--they weren't raised in the biosphere by Klansmen.

There's some kind of age-cultural phenomenon happening that I can't get a handle on because I didn't grow up with social media.  The Vanderbilt football players knew they were being recorded raping and doing disgusting things to an unconscious co-ed and it was fine.  No one said, "Hey, put the cellphone away."  I just can't figure it out.

Is it that all their previous selfies and instagrams have always been met with "Like" by their friends?  Is it because no one got spanked and "time out" failed to teach anyone about consequences for bad behavior?  Are they in such constant touch with like-minded friends that antagonistic viewpoints don't register? 

It's like the basic instinct for self-preservation has vanished.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

I think there's a sense of entitlement involved. Like, just saying sorry or something, playing the naive, and it will be ok. No, that doesn't work anymore. Even though we live with social media, there's kind of a lack of scope. 

I always wonder if the genesis of Facebook has anything to do with it. Whenever I see people talk of college-age kids not having a filter on Facebook I immediately think about how it was originally strictly for college students. Because I joined when it started I got to witness the phenomena of the site going public while that 'private' mindset remained.

Even an always public site has to have a feeling of privacy attached if you figure only your group of friends is really watching. But once enough people in enough places join in, it's only a matter of time before group 'This is OK to Say and Do' and group 'No it's Not' start to overlap. 

Nice to see Rob back on the show. I thought when he said that he'd be waiting outside for Jon on his last day, that the plan would be to give him a hug or buy him a beer or something, but then he went all Better Off Dead on him.

"Did Satan's skunk get diarrhea?" Great line. I love the takedown of Christie.

I wouldn't have minded if Jordan's piece were completely serious with no attempt at humor, but that's a minor complaint. There's just no excuse for houses not being rebuilt.

I didn't enjoy Rob Corddry. I thought I would, but no. He seemed to be trying to hard and just wasn't funny. I wish he and Jon could have had a regular conversation.

• Love 2

Chris Christie. Man of the people. NOT!!!

When Jon talked to Rob Corrdry about getting fired for his "blatant anti-Semitism", I thought back to Rob's "I hate everybody" bit where he asks Jon to high five him while posing in a Nazi salute and wearing a swastika armband. Good times.

• Love 1

Whenever I'm in a parking lot with only a vague notion of where I put my car, I still say "Cut to my hoopdie!" when I click the unlock button on my car key to make its lights flash. In homage to Rob. I enjoyed him on TDS, but I've never quite enjoyed Children's Hospital.

I had to stop watching the episode because of the shrill giggling from someone in the audience.

There's been a lot of that lately. I'm sure it's so people can tell their friends it's their obnoxious guffaw they're hearing.

• Love 1

I always wonder if the genesis of Facebook has anything to do with it. Whenever I see people talk of college-age kids not having a filter on Facebook I immediately think about how it was originally strictly for college students. Because I joined when it started I got to witness the phenomena of the site going public while that 'private' mindset remained.

Even an always public site has to have a feeling of privacy attached if you figure only your group of friends is really watching. But once enough people in enough places join in, it's only a matter of time before group 'This is OK to Say and Do' and group 'No it's Not' start to overlap. 

Wow, that's a significant evolution to have observed firsthand.  And you're right about relying on perceived privacy--young people are bad at extrapolating beyond the scope of their own experience.  (tm ChelseaNH, above)

My college professor friends all say that the very second class is dismissed everyone pulls out his phone and starts texting his friends.  Silent exit.  There's no interaction between students, even though they've just shared the experience of the class. 

Sorry.  I'll stop clogging up the board with this puzzle.

Rob C. strikes me as 24/7 fart joke juvenile.

Edited by candall

Yeah, this whole fiasco of the fraternity makes me glad my college doesn't have one. It's too hipster (and very tiny) to follow that trend. That's not to say that there is the possibility of some people lurking with racial tendencies. 

Jordan's piece makes me think twice about certain organizations with the consistency to get the job done. This is why I will never take Business as a major. There's just more paperwork than actual progress, and yes it's an essential part of the project (insurance, liability, blah-di-blah), but we're in the 21st century. Can't all paperwork just be reduced into a two-page app? 

I expected so much from Rob Corrdry's interview, but it felt different than the last time he was a guest. Not only he was a bundle of joy, he even made a special appearance in the correspondents' bit in preparation for the 2012 conventions. Not joking, but seeing him in that piece was the first time I've ever heard of Corddry. (sigh) I guess what felt like glitter slowly reduced to just supporting Jonny-bun because he's leaving. That's not to say he wasn't dry with humor; I was hoping he would do a studio bit, like old times, but I guess that won't happen until Jon's last day. BTW, I thought he just hinted already he's leaving July or something. Now I don't have any clue anymore.

As for Children's Hospital, I like the show. It took me awhile to understand what's going on, and using my comedy apparatus, showed the hints of satire they demonstrate. It's not everyone's cup of tea if you don't know the tropes/cliches in a medical drama (mostly because ER ended long before), but I think they nail the whole goofy/straight characters. To me, Blake Downs is the mostly straight man because he takes more crap from the other doctors. Glad that Rob Corddry has made a name for himself (even though his sequel to the Hot Tub Machine bombed). 

Still waiting for that correspondents' reunion, Jonny-bun! You promised Steve Carell!!!

I admit that I haven't watched many of the interviews since Jon announced his departure but every one that I have watched has revolved more around Jon and his departure than the guest.

Can't all paperwork just be reduced into a two-page app?

Not if you want to make it easy for bribery! Bureaucracy is made so that greasing palms will cut through said bureaucracy!

My college professor friends all say that the very second class is dismissed everyone pulls out his phone and starts texting his friends.  Silent exit.  There's no interaction between students, even though they've just shared the experience of the class.

Yikes, that's depressing.

• Love 2

There's been a lot of that [obvious laughing in the audience] lately. I'm sure it's so people can tell their friends it's their obnoxious guffaw they're hearing.

If it was intentional, this person was committed: every line was greeted with that squeal.

• Love 1

If it was intentional, this person was committed: every line was greeted with that squeal.

To be fair, my husband has a very VERY loud and some may say annoying laugh. He also has a very active funny bone. So when we went to TDS tapings, his laugh was very audible and frequent. But it wasn't intentional or purposeful, he was just legitimately excited to be there and found the jokes/punchlines funny. I'm willing to bet others like that exist.

I admit that I haven't watched many of the interviews since Jon announced his departure but every one that I have watched has revolved more around Jon and his departure than the guest.

Definitely feels that way with people he's friendly with, but not really for others. With Rob C, it was obviously going to come up.

So about the SAE story, our school didn't have frats, WTF is a house mom? Is there seriously just a random woman living in a house of college students?

Edited by solotrek

WTF is a house mom? Is there seriously just a random woman living in a house of college students?

I don't know how it is with fraternities (the ones at my university didn't have house mothers at all, so the others that do may be mandated by state laws or organization policies), but all sororities under the Panhellenic umbrella* have house mothers.  In my chapter, our house mother was the one who hired and managed the house hold staff: landscaper, cook, maids, hashers (students hired to help serve the food-and I totally realize how completely elitist this all sounds).  She was also there to offer support and be a sympathetic ear if we needed it.  I imagine other chapters' house mothers fulfill similar roles. 

*Meaning, group of specific sororities.  Panhellenic sororities are the ones that people think of when they think of the clichéd sorority image.  There are non-Panhellenic sororities on campuses, but they tend to be local to the school or state rather than nationwide.  IFC (Interfraternity Council) is full of the fraternities such as SAE, though, like Panhellenic, there are many non-IFC fraternities.

As angry as Jordan's piece made me (the subject not Jordan himself) I'm really glad that he shined some light on this issue.  Rebuilding these houses wouldn't have taken hardly any time and would have been a great PR move for the city and the construction companies so, naturally, no one did anything while they focused on the shiny new building downtown.  I hope that they get a refund on the taxes they've been paying for houses that don't exist.