Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Closet? You'll Love It!

BTW, I'm not sure if I heard this right, but did Haley say (about her date), "He's not exactly the sharpest shed." If so, that's pretty funny.

She did and it was - one of those unfortunately increasingly infrequent quick little jewels that (for me) made this show and are too frequently overlooked because the dialogue tends to move fast.

• Love 2

He was saying 'Beth Isreal', which understand is an hospital in 'Murrca.

I thought he was saying "Beth is real" (because Haley had been giving him trouble about it earlier that day) which the nurse heard as "Beth Israel" thinking he wanted to transfer hospitals.

• Love 1

I thought he was saying "Beth is real" (because Haley had been giving him trouble about it earlier that day) which the nurse heard as "Beth Israel" thinking he wanted to transfer hospitals.

Yeah, exactly. The setup was there but it didn't come off as clever or a good misunderstanding. Since most people would never understand that Beth Israel is a real hospital.

(edited)

Beth Isreal is a really well known even if you are not from the east coast because it's been referenced in tons of popular culture; howerver, even if people didn't know the nurse said "Beth Isreal Hospital," so they would get it even if they hadn't heard of it.

Joe Mande! I hope marketing guy shows up again.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I can buy that Andy is supposed to be Phil 2.0 (he even had a couple of puns - Beth Israel and Jabba the Hut), but I think the guy who plays him is not a good actor - too flat/monotone/boring.  Phil has a spark, a twinkle, enthusiasm - Andy has none of that.

I honestly couldn't tell, was that girl that was singing I will always love you supposed to be really good or really bad?  The story implied she was really good.......maybe I missed something.  

Husband: Was that supposed to be good singing?

Me: Supposedly.

Neither of us can carry a tune, so our opinions of her singing are not worth much, but it seems to me that on TV "children singing loudly" = "children singing well"

Its like with Dylan, I'm not a fan of the character but the more they use him over the years, I say he is perfect for Haley. Even if I'm not a fan of him possibly dropping out of nursing school. Though rewatching it, his sign spinning was just to pay the bills until his graduates. 

I wouldn't want Dylan to be my nurse- "I can't find your pills, but the lady next to you died before she took all of hers, so take some of these." There is no way that Dylan has the intelligence to pass nursing school.  

I get the rectum joke, I just can't hear it with the closet one. I feel like people liked it back in the day because it doesn't even make sense to the point where it just gets funny.

No one else gets Jay's closet joke either. The real joke is that Jay is the only one that thinks his catch phrase is clever or even makes sense.  I agree that the only reason he had any notoriety from it the first time was because it was so dumb that people were essentially making fun of him.    

What were everyone's suggestions for catchphrases at the end? My DVR cut off.

• Love 1

I know what else bugged me, really for no reason, but its really annoying me about the episode. 

Haley comes to Jay/Gloria's house, puts her stuff down, goes and changes into a swimsuit and a cover up thing, and Gloria I bleieve is the one that sees the message about Andy being in the hospital.  Then she doesn't change back from her swimsuit to normal clothes, but either way, what was the point of Gloria or someone else seeing the message while she is changing?  Why was that even necessary?  Why couldn't the wrierts just have Haley see the message herself before she changed at the house, then she could have just left in her normal clothes? Was the fact that she went to the hospital in her swimsuit and couldn't even take the few minutes to change back supposed to be some sort of proof of how much she cares for him?  I didn't get the point of that sequence or why she had to go to the hospital in her swimsuit.  It didn't otherwise seem to matter at all to the story and there really seemed no point in someone else besides her seeing the message first.

Its a little thing thats been bugging me

I can't remember the sequence, but I think the point was to make us think that Haley was laying out at the pool when it was actually Luke.

I guess, maybe, but didn't we see Haley leave before the scene of him lying at the pool?  I thought it was Gloria lying out at the pool rather than Luke, it was her swimsuit he had on

Gloria or someone else seeing the message while she is changing?  Why was that even necessary?

Gloria was the person who got the message, she wasn't looking at Haley's phone it was her phone.

What were everyone's suggestions for catchphrases at the end? My DVR cut off.

Claire: "Closet, but no cigar."

Haley: "Why? Because we closet."

Cam: "I'll have what she's closet."

Luke: "Mama always said life was like a box of closets."

Manny: "On your mark, get set, closet!"

Phil: "Lllllllet's get ready to closeeeeet!"

Gloria: "Say hello to my little closet."

Jay: "Dammit, they're all good!"

Gloria's was the best due to the accent.

I have no life.

• Love 5

I'll take your word for it, but that makes even less sense to me. Its a minor point though

Andy works for Gloria it makes total sense for him to text her and tell her that he is in the hospital and might not be able to come to work.

• Love 2

Andy works for Gloria it makes total sense for him to text her and tell her that he is in the hospital and might not be able to come to work.

OK, but still not sure why they needed Haley changing into her swimsuit before finding out that information and going immediately to the hospital in her swimsuit without changing again.

Probably so that viewers would see that she dropped everything and rushed to the hospital as soon as she heard the news.  However, Haley doesn't seem the type to think "oh my goodness, I can't go to the hospital dressed like this" - she is more the "hey, I have clothes on and maybe some cute doctor will notice me" type.  

I think it would have been better if she had been in the pool when she found out the news and showed up at the hospital in her bathing suit, with wet hair and no make-up.  

No, I wanted Beth to be hidden and not shown.  Make her not real :(.  I'm glad I heard Andy hear what Haley said.  I hope he picks her over Beth.  But if he picks her I don't want this show having Haley just be mean and kick him to the curb 2 episodes later.  I liked this episode with the interaction of the family.  Was nice to see for a change.

• Love 2
(edited)

Probably so that viewers would see that she dropped everything and rushed to the hospital as soon as she heard the news.  However, Haley doesn't seem the type to think "oh my goodness, I can't go to the hospital dressed like this" - she is more the "hey, I have clothes on and maybe some cute doctor will notice me" type.

That's absolutely why, but I don't think it was a character inconsistency in this case. As noted Previously (see what I did there?), I have no life so I went back and watched the sequence.

Phil, Luke, and Gloria had finished watching "Drone 1, Idiot 0" (32,000 YouTube views) when Gloria's phone chimed as Haley came back from changing into her bathing suit/cover up (but still wearing her heels. Nice touch.). It had to be Gloria's phone because from the time Haley came into the house she never took her phone out. Gloria told Haley that Andy was in the hospital with appendicitis and Haley said that maybe she better go down there. Next time we see Haley she's coming into Andy's room.

We already know that Haley is more into Andy than she lets on, and it quickly becomes evident why she didn't change back into clothes. She teases Andy that his GF isn't there (and he says Beth Israel), and as he begins to fall asleep, she tells him that a real relationship is someone dropping everything and rushing to the hospital (as we can see that she apparently did).

Then she goes on to suggest that Andy might be settling with Beth, taking the penguin when he could have the elephant, and if she's his elephant, he has a shot. Of course, by then Andy's out cold and soon after that Beth comes in. Haley awkwardly excuses herself, and we're left to wonder whether these two crazy kids who are clearly meant for each other will ever make it happen.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 4

Claire: "Closet, but no cigar."

Haley: "Why? Because we closet."

Cam: "I'll have what she's closet."

Luke: "Mama always said life was like a box of closets."

Manny: "On your mark, get set, closet!"

Phil: "Lllllllet's get ready to closeeeeet!"

Gloria: "Say hello to my little closet."

Jay: "Dammit, they're all good!"

I expected a final shot of him not comprehending those suggested slogans or hating them.  Nice to see that Jay was open minded.

I love that the posters here are so high-minded that no one went to the shallow reason that the director wanted to put Haley in a swimsuit for half the episode, including in a public space (hospital) where you would really stand out in a swimsuit, even with the coverup.  And heels?