Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Closet? You'll Love It!

Jay and Claire shoot a commercial for Pritchett Closets to counter a rival's splashy ad, but dad and daughter have conflicting creative visions. Meanwhile, Phil, Luke and Manny try to take down a Peeping Tom's drone that's spying on a sunbathing Gloria; Cameron is nervous about Lily's performance in a school talent show; and Haley worries about Andy when he's rushed to the hospital with appendicitis.

I don't know why but I love the odd couple of Haley and Andy... and Sarah Hyland's proven to me that she's a good actress because I buy that Haley actually likes that guy.  The other characters have become a little stale for me... even though I love the show, I think they need to shake things up a bit.  The jokes are getting too predictable.

• Love 5

Grumpa and Funpa!

I laughed lots this week. One of the better episodes. Only Cam and Mitchell let the side down. Their stuff was just average.

I'm rooting for Hayley and Andy, but Beth is real.

• Love 3

So no-one thought of calling the police when some guy with a drone constantly hovers just feet above Gloria as she's sunbathing, and then goes on to upload video of Phil naked to youtube? Alright.

Well there was some claim that "uses latest untraceable encrypted signal" blah blah blah. And I don't know how good the police are at dealing with those sorts of complaints, although I suspect that in Jay's neighborhood, they are at least very responsive.

I thought it was interesting that to introduce comedy they had to make it all about Phil, and even at the end, Gloria shoots it down to "help out the boys" instead of just dealing with her problem after they failed to, which was what really happened.

And was that supposed to be an air gun at the end? Do those have red tips like toys now? 

I don't really care for Haley and Andy together.  Haley and Dylan make a much better couple. 

I honestly couldn't tell, was that girl that was singing I will always love you supposed to be really good or really bad?  The story implied she was really good.......maybe I missed something. 

I knew Beth was going to show up after that whole scene with Haley "confessing".   

• Love 4

Not only is Beth real, she's (gasp!) prettier than Haley! Every time I think they're done with this subplot, they bring it back -- which is interesting. I thought for sure they were done last week after the family assumed "the worst" of the two of them. I also like Haley and Andy and I wonder what's next for them.

One thing that confused me was the timeline: so Drone Kid (we assume) uploaded videos that instantly got tens of thousands of views? When Luke said "32,000 views," I assumed it was the next day, but then Phil was still in the too-big swim trunks. That stretched disbelief, for me -- that the whole drone thing happened in 22 minutes. I don't usually notice time on this show, but that stood out. If they'd dropped the pageviews, it might've been more believable.

It wasn't like Phil was in a blue/black/white/gold dress or anything.

• Love 4

I assumed it was a different day, since they showed Andy after his surgery and Lily's concert, which would be at least a day later than Andy having his first ab pains and Cam practicing with Lily. These events all happened in the same time frame. Not sure why Phil would wear Jays big trunks again and not bring his own if he was coming back.

How did Jay become such a rich closet magnate when he can't think of anything good on his own? He doesn't think to have a commercial until his rival does it (and yes, he had one 30 years ago but it's a different market now) and then his only idea is to repeat a 30 year old ad.

I wonder if Sofia Vergara's entire script is filled with director's instructions before every line - "screech and scowl".

• Love 3

I assumed it was a different day, since they showed Andy after his surgery and Lily's concert, which would be at least a day later than Andy having his first ab pains and Cam practicing with Lily. These events all happened in the same time frame. Not sure why Phil would wear Jays big trunks again and not bring his own if he was coming back.

How did Jay become such a rich closet magnate when he can't think of anything good on his own? He doesn't think to have a commercial until his rival does it (and yes, he had one 30 years ago but it's a different market now) and then his only idea is to repeat a 30 year old ad.

I wonder if Sofia Vergara's entire script is filled with director's instructions before every line - "screech and scowl".

I got the impression it was the same day.  I don't think Andy had anything done yet at the hospital, he was just given some pain meds, unless I missed something. 

I assumed it was all the same day because of Lilly, I thought the beginning was the morning of her recital and then they show her at the recital at the end of the episode.  I thought Mitch was going over all the things they had scheduled that day and just the morning of the recital was figuring out Cam did this to try and make her miss it. 

I am not really sure why you need TV advertising for a closet business.  Its a niche field, which is completely believable, actually, as most small business owners that do well find such small niche's in the market and excel at it.  I don't know of anyone that has had their closet redone by a private company though.  Kitchens and other rooms, sure, but not a closet.  Maybe its a california thing, but I would assume its more direct marketing and relationships with builders of houses/apartments.  Plus that is always how the business has been portrated in the past. 

(edited)

It was funny and made me laugh. I'm not looking for realism here!

There are a number of custom closet companies out there, Closet Factory and California Closets come to mind. We used one of them when we redid all the bedroom closets in our previous house. DIdn't see any TV advertising for them, true, but lots of flyers and magazine ads. Those aren't as funny to film though!

Edited by Ms5h
  • Love 4

I thought it was silly, and not in a good way.   I'm over Haley and Andy.

I can't say too much more because I kept switching over to a repeat of Shark Tank.  I never used to do that during MF. 

• Love 1
It was funny and made me laugh. I'm not looking for realism here

Not classic MF and not all that clever, but funny. I liked the Haley/Andy interaction-their lines made her seem less stupid. I liked Phil and the boys taking on the drone......and I liked Gloria finishing it off.

Still don't get the "Closet....you'll love it" line.  Can someone explain that.

• Love 2

I started watching this show in January and have since seen all of the episodes in syndication.  I really don't like the pairing of Andy and Haley.  She is much better with Dylan.

(edited)

I don't care about Haley and Andy because I don't care about Haley.  She's a screechy spoiled brat who still acts like she's a teenager.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

Not only is Beth real, she's (gasp!) prettier than Haley! Every time I think they're done with this subplot, they bring it back -- which is interesting. I thought for sure they were done last week after the family assumed "the worst" of the two of them. I also like Haley and Andy and I wonder what's next for them.

The thing with Beth, it has gotten to the point where we had to finally see why Andy doesn't leave her. Its like with Dylan, I'm not a fan of the character but the more they use him over the years, I say he is perfect for Haley. Even if I'm not a fan of him possibly dropping out of nursing school. Though rewatching it, his sign spinning was just to pay the bills until his graduates. I would be very happy with Andy and Beth (I'm better then anything) would just go on a plane and crash land in the ocean somewhere during one of her Peace Corps missions. The story is just as dead as their acting. 

• Love 2

I get why many of you like Haley and Dylan together... he's lovable and good looking and they make more sense as a couple.  But this is a sitcom, and to have two similar characters hang out together doesn't work as well as comedy.  I'd get bored watching a spin-off show with those two.  On the other hand if you paired Dylan with someone like Alex it would work better for the show.

• Love 1

Haley with Dylan is pure comedy/cartoonishness. We're meant to laugh at their collective dumbness, and neither character gets much depth/seriousnesss. But Haley with Andy is a much more realistic pairing (as in, more like real life) and Haley seems like a more mature, thoughtful, empathetic person with him. So I guess one's preference for either couple could have to do with what kind of show (and what kind of Haley) one wants to see.

• Love 9

I know the show has been trying to show Haley growing as a person by her spending time with Andy and developing Romantic interest for him, which is good. But Andy is just such a flat character they can't make that the end game.

What would be a real development for the show would be to have Andy turn down her confession ("If I'm your elephant, you have a shot." -- Ugh, I couldn't handle the self elevation there) and leave with Beth, and Haley realizing she needs to strike out on her own, and having an honest conversation with Gloria about how she became the woman she was by moving into a studio apartment following breaking up with Javier. Haley can still live in LA, but also grow!

Claire and Jay's story was sweet and provided some good laughs. The scene of the Tucker-Pritchetts sneaking by in their swimsuits was some good physical comedy.;

• Love 2

I know the show has been trying to show Haley growing as a person by her spending time with Andy and developing Romantic interest for him, which is good. But Andy is just such a flat character they can't make that the end game.

What would be a real development for the show would be to have Andy turn down her confession ("If I'm your elephant, you have a shot." -- Ugh, I couldn't handle the self elevation there) and leave with Beth, and Haley realizing she needs to strike out on her own, and having an honest conversation with Gloria about how she became the woman she was by moving into a studio apartment following breaking up with Javier. Haley can still live in LA, but also grow!

Claire and Jay's story was sweet and provided some good laughs. The scene of the Tucker-Pritchetts sneaking by in their swimsuits was some good physical comedy.;

That's what I mean, Haley might have gotten a job she wanted but as she has said, her boss is completely crazy. I also agree, he is nuts, especially with the entire ordering of the maternity book when Haley could have gone to a bookstore or he could have ordered it himself or had it sent to "his address" but you know, its suppose to be: "wacky and fun" which it isn't. Not to mention, at this point in time, Haley would get she wants more with someone like Andy but not as flat as many have put it. That means, she has to stop going out with guys who are like Dylan. That means moving out of your parents basement into your own place and stop acting like you are 16, saying your sister is "ugly" and that you  will never grow up. On that note, I really wish Phil and Claire would kick Haley out.

• Love 1

I get why many of you like Haley and Dylan together... he's lovable and good looking and they make more sense as a couple.  But this is a sitcom, and to have two similar characters hang out together doesn't work as well as comedy.  I'd get bored watching a spin-off show with those two.  On the other hand if you paired Dylan with someone like Alex it would work better for the show.

I don't view Dylan any more cartoonish than Manny, in his own way.  I find his constant cheeriness and personality over the top.  And I don't think Haley and Dylan are that similar, really.  They both are a bit dim, other than that I don't see them being just like each other.

And Haley and Dylan seemed to work together great so far in the show in what we have seen, not sure why that would change over time.  We aren't talking about them having a spin off or the show becoming more about that couple. 

• Love 1

Haley with Dylan is pure comedy/cartoonishness. We're meant to laugh at their collective dumbness, and neither character gets much depth/seriousnesss. But Haley with Andy is a much more realistic pairing (as in, more like real life) and Haley seems like a more mature, thoughtful, empathetic person with him. So I guess one's preference for either couple could have to do with what kind of show (and what kind of Haley) one wants to see.

I think the problem I have with Andy is he just happens to be the "good guy" that is always around when her current boyfriend is being a jerk or just not "getting" things that are going on, so Andy looks good as a result.  You could insert any normal, well behaved guy in their for Andy and I get the impression Haley would have the same reaction, which is you don't have to date dimwitted, good looking guys with nothing else to offer.  It seems the show has presented it where Haley is not so much falling for him specifically as a person but more she is falling for the idea of what he is not, which is he is not every other guy she has ever dated. 

This is the same problem i have with Penny and Leonard on the Big Bang Theory.  I have never bought them as a couple either.  Leonard is a nice enough guy, but they presented him much the same way.  The guy's Penny dated were caricatured jerks, for the most part, and Leonard by comparison, over time, looked pretty good, so she ends up with him.  They never really present a realistic alternative to Leonard, just a bunch of guys that you can easily see simply make Leonard look good in the long term. 

• Love 2

I think the problem I have with Andy is he just happens to be the "good guy" that is always around when her current boyfriend is being a jerk or just not "getting" things that are going on, so Andy looks good as a result.  You could insert any normal, well behaved guy in their for Andy and I get the impression Haley would have the same reaction, which is you don't have to date dimwitted, good looking guys with nothing else to offer.  It seems the show has presented it where Haley is not so much falling for him specifically as a person but more she is falling for the idea of what he is not, which is he is not every other guy she has ever dated. 

This is the same problem i have with Penny and Leonard on the Big Bang Theory.  I have never bought them as a couple either.  Leonard is a nice enough guy, but they presented him much the same way.  The guy's Penny dated were caricatured jerks, for the most part, and Leonard by comparison, over time, looked pretty good, so she ends up with him.  They never really present a realistic alternative to Leonard, just a bunch of guys that you can easily see simply make Leonard look good in the long term. 

I agree with both and it goes back to Andy. He goes back to Beth because she "likes the drama" and Andy has the problem because he falls for that drama all the time because after all, he's a nice average guy who gets to have sex with a hot and amazing woman. Yet, he is attracted to the idea that you can't live by that the way Haley does with dating the hot dimwit and Andy goes out with the smart hot girl who just likes having Andy when she can because its fun and dramatic. They both continue the circle but won't dare break it with Haley looking for something from a guy like Andy or Andy just telling Beth, he is tired of the constant back and forth, either she stays with him and by this I mean he proposes and they set a date. Or she can go find a new toy to play with.

Really? I thought Beth was kind of plain looking. I find Haley to be the much prettier of the two. 

I don't buy Andy and Haley spending time together unless they have a secret crush on each other. They seem to have nothing in common other than their potential mutual attraction, and we know Haley is popular and could find lots of other friends/guys to hang out with, so we know clearly from her point of view that she hangs out with him because she likes him. Meanwhile, they seem to be portraying Andy as having no friends outside of Beth (aside from the friends that got married in Vegas), so I could buy him latching on to Haley for companionship, yet Andy seems to keep Haley at a distance unless Haley is the one that initiates interaction. Their friendship just doesn't make sense to me outside of an end game in which Andy dumps Beth and starts dating Haley.

Nor does it make sense to me why Andy stays in the area instead of going wherever Beth is, especially since he doesn't seem to take care of Joe anymore. Has this ever been explained, or are we supposed to buy into the idea that Beth keeps Andy on the back burner and Andy lets her? I don't get the point of Beth except as a way to drag out the "will they or won't they" between Andy and Haley. The part at the end where Andy's eyes flutter open to glance at the spot where Haley had been confessing her feelings? Please -there's no way that was a revelation to him. He knows, and if he wanted to be with her, he already would be. 

Haley with Dylan is pure comedy/cartoonishness. We're meant to laugh at their collective dumbness, and neither character gets much depth/seriousnesss. But Haley with Andy is a much more realistic pairing (as in, more like real life) and Haley seems like a more mature, thoughtful, empathetic person with him.

Since this is a sitcom, isn't the goal to come up with the situations that will make us laugh. It would be nice if there was some consistent character growth, and there often is with regard to Haley, but the key thing is that it needs to be funny. I thought Haley's repartee with Andy rather than the guy she was with showed a lot of growth in her character-she is not as dumb as she was with Dylan and her caring for Andy was much more mature and thoughtful person than we had really seen her be in the past.

• Love 3

Has this ever been explained, or are we supposed to buy into the idea that Beth keeps Andy on the back burner and Andy lets her? I don't get the point of Beth except as a way to drag out the "will they or won't they" between Andy and Haley. The part at the end where Andy's eyes flutter open to glance at the spot where Haley had been confessing her feelings? Please -there's no way that was a revelation to him. He knows, and if he wanted to be with her, he already would be.

They are just dragging it out and the next step was to show Beth but its pointed out that Beth just uses Andy when she can and he just sees that as what their relationship is. However, I agree, Andy could move at anytime, eve his focus to be a real estate agent like Phil, he could do that anywhere unless he wants to work for his company. Sorry, Andy, either do it or move on because he doesn't add anything to the show.

• Love 1

What would be a real development for the show would be to have Andy turn down her confession ("If I'm your elephant, you have a shot." -- Ugh, I couldn't handle the self elevation there) 

Well, she was trying to keep it in the metaphor of shooting a basket, so it didn't bother me.

I enjoyed the scene at the carnival. It showed that Haley is outgrowing hot but dumb guys. She and Andy get along so well. It's nice to see. I loved the bit where Haley tells her date something about his "job at the hut," and Andy says, "You said Jabba the Hut!" 

I like them together. I loved Dylan, too, but I like Andy and think he and Haley make a cute couple.

I didn't like the drone story because that stuff freaks me out. I've never had experience with a drone, but it was creepy, and I hated seeing Phil, Manny, and Luke humiliated. I thought it was pretty funny when Luke flipped over on the chaise lounge to reveal that it was him wearing the bikini top.

I liked that it was Gloria who shot the drone to pieces, esp when Joe cries and she then says, "No binky!" I'm a Gloria fan.

Someone here asked about the "Closet....you'll love it" line. It's supposed to be dumb and meaningless. I think Jay said "Closet" was a substitute for "Like it." "Like it… You'll love it!"

Joe Mande, who played the guy telling Claire to talk to Jay, was very funny. 

Oh, and then there was the Mitchell, Cam, and Lily story. The only thing I thought was particularly funny was the rival gay couple, Andrew and Simon? Man, they made me want to punch them, esp Simon.

Re if the one girl was supposed to be a good singer. I'd say yes, for her age.

• Love 3
(edited)

I got the impression it was the same day.  I don't think Andy had anything done yet at the hospital, he was just given some pain meds, unless I missed something. 

I assumed it was all the same day because of Lilly, I thought the beginning was the morning of her recital and then they show her at the recital at the end of the episode.  I thought Mitch was going over all the things they had scheduled that day and just the morning of the recital was figuring out Cam did this to try and make her miss it. 

I am not really sure why you need TV advertising for a closet business.  Its a niche field, which is completely believable, actually, as most small business owners that do well find such small niche's in the market and excel at it.  I don't know of anyone that has had their closet redone by a private company though.  Kitchens and other rooms, sure, but not a closet.  Maybe its a california thing, but I would assume its more direct marketing and relationships with builders of houses/apartments.  Plus that is always how the business has been portrated in the past. 

Andy hadn't had the surgery yet because the nurse told Hayley something like he keeps saying Beth Israel (Hospital), when he was really saying Beth is real, and she said she told him we can do the surgery here.

Edited by parrotlover

Someone here asked about the "Closet....you'll love it" line. It's supposed to be dumb and meaningless. I think Jay said "Closet" was a substitute for "Like it." "Like it… You'll love it!"

"Rectum? It damn near killed him!"

Of course, that's just how my mind works.

• Love 2
(edited)

All along they've made Haley the younger Claire. And Andy is the younger Phil. If I was a betting girl I bet many of the same folks who say they don't see why Claire is with Phil, don't get the Haley- Andy pairing. He's sweet and goofy and willing to go the extra mile for his girlfriend. Haley has watched her dad be just like that to her mom her whole life. Makes sense to me.

Edited by Ms5h
  • Love 5

I was going to post the sane thing,Ms5H! However, I have a slightly different take on it.

I feel like that Andy is supposed to be Phil 2.0. However, while Phil is goofy and nerdy, I find he has a charm and appeal that I simply have never seen or felt from Andy. He just leaves me cold, for some reason. Just my opinion, of course. But I do feel like he's end game fir Haley.

• Love 2

He was saying "Beth is real."  The nurse misunderstood.

Yes on rewatching, that made more sense. 

The first time I saw it, I thought it was Haley misunderstanding and he was saying the hospital

When I watched it again, it makes more sense that he really was saying "Beth is real" and the nurse was misunderstanding

• Love 1

"Rectum? It damn near killed him!"

Of course, that's just how my mind works.

I get the rectum joke, I just can't hear it with the closet one. I feel like people liked it back in the day because it doesn't even make sense to the point where it just gets funny.

• Love 1

He was saying "Beth is real."  The nurse misunderstood.

Ah yes, it does make more sense. So is there a reason he was telling the nurse that Beth is real? I just don't know how delirium works, do people say things that are really in their subconscious and are important to them, or is it generally random and meaningless? If it's not random things and Andy is really talking to Haley and trying to convince her that Beth is real, what does it mean? If he is into Haley, why is he talking about Beth? And if he is not into Haley, why does he care to convince her about Beth?

• Love 1

Ah yes, it does make more sense. So is there a reason he was telling the nurse that Beth is real? I just don't know how delirium works, do people say things that are really in their subconscious and are important to them, or is it generally random and meaningless? If it's not random things and Andy is really talking to Haley and trying to convince her that Beth is real, what does it mean? If he is into Haley, why is he talking about Beth? And if he is not into Haley, why does he care to convince her about Beth?

I think that was just poorly filmed because I think mostly everyone, especially Haley are wondering if Beth is real. Because Andy has been nothing but all talk about it and always saying they break up, have sex and then get back together. I think it was at the point, they were wondering if Beth was real because they have never met her and she is out of the country a little too much to be that active in the Peace Corps. I also think, some audience members have been wondering too, we are past the days of the invisible wife/spouse/lover that is always talked about but never shown. I think this was to prove to the audience and even to the main cast, that Beth is real. Just she enjoys the drama of stringing Andy along and he likes it. Andy is suppose to be Phil 2.0 but he is both cold and too oblivious and only has like 3 friends.