Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Episode 1

If, in Broadchurch World, murder victims aren't buried until after the police arrest a suspect, then it it makes a macabre kind of sense to exhume the body if the suspect pleads not guilty.

The body wasn't exhumed because Joe pleaded not guilty. It was exhumed because the defence team managed to convince a judge that a second post mortem was needed.

I'm trying to figure out - was Claire part of the Sandbridge case, or another one at the same time? I don't remember them saying before that it was two girls who were killed in that one.

Sandbrook (not Sandbridge) was always about two murdered girls.

If, in Broadchurch World, murder victims aren't buried until after the police arrest a suspect, then it it makes a macabre kind of sense to exhume the body if the suspect pleads not guilty.

The body wasn't exhumed because Joe pleaded not guilty. It was exhumed because the defence team managed to convince a judge that a second post mortem was needed.

Thank you, but I presumed as much. I was just making a crack about the odd and inadvertent bit of continuity (because not burying Danny in Season 1 never made any sense).

Though now that I think about it, who knows?

In the Bizarro world of Broadchurch, where the TPTB seriously contend that a murder victim wouldn't be buried until an arrest is made, no matter how many weeks, months or potentially years have passed, perhaps murder victims are automatically exhumed if the suspect pleads not guilty.

• Love 2

An amazing first hour of Broadchurch.  Although the infuriating Joe Miller storyline might make it a tough watch for me.  What a scumbag.

Speaking of amazing, that's David Tennant and Olivia Coleman.  Their chemistry is off-the-charts and despite the antagonistic relationship they have, you can still see there's a closeness there that was completely absent in Gracepoint.  Olivia Coleman does that kind of hard, angry bitterness so well.

The bathroom scene was really funny and it's a credit to the writers that they could make a scene like that work after such a devastating turn of events previously.

Hey, Contemporary Jarvis in in this!

• Love 6

Great episode, glad this show is back.

I know Beth and the show were kind of setting up the idea that Mark was still cheating and that's where he kept disappearing to.  However, I figured we'd find out he was in therapy or something.  The reveal that he's hanging out with Tom as Susan's trailer is pinging several bells.  Add Joe pleading Not Guilty and wanting the truth to come out and now I'm wondering if Mark/Joe were both into boys or something.  However, Joe took it too far by going after a Danny?  Probably not, it's way to Criminal Minds (had a similar set up several years back).

I like Beth in S1 but her constant attacks on Ellie last night were rather grating.  She seems to have focused all of her anger on Ellie instead of Joe, which is annoying especially since Ellie just takes it and acts like a kicked puppy.

I'm curious about the Stonebrook case, there were so many references to it in S1 that I figured it would come up again in S2.  Looking forward to seeing how that plays out, it was kind of funny to see clean cut Hardy in the flashback.  His comment about everything falls apart (while getting interviewed on the beach) is true of himself as well.

• Love 5
(edited)

Claire was a next door neighbour of the younger girl in the Sandbrook case. It's one case - the same one as mentioned in series 1. However, I think Hardy was vague about the victims in series 1. Now they're getting details filled in.

I will say the same actress who met with Beth Latimer in series 1 is the mother of Pippa in series 2. So there was foresight in that casting.

Edited by staveDarsky
  • Love 2

I hate to appear dense, but can someone explain to me why the dead boy's family is so enraged at Ellie? I don't remember Ellie having done anything wrong, and it seems kind of stretch for them to assume that she was somehow in on the crime. It could be argued (and some will violently disagree, I get it) that Ellie's lost a lot more than the Latimers: She lost her husband, she lost her son, she lost her job, and she lost her home. So what is it that the Latimers thinks she's done to them? She can't be held responsible for the inexplicable -- and certainly unprecedented and unpredictable -- actions of her husband. Hell, at one point Beth thought her own husband had killed their son, so how is it beyond her to understand that you could not really know the person you're married to? I just don't get this misplaced rage. Did I miss something?

P.S. What a relief to hear David Tennant speaking in his normal voice!

• Love 12
(edited)

I hate to appear dense, but can someone explain to me why the dead boy's family is so enraged at Ellie? I don't remember Ellie having done anything wrong, and it seems kind of stretch for them to assume that she was somehow in on the crime. It could be argued (and some will violently disagree, I get it) that Ellie's lost a lot more than the Latimers: She lost her husband, she lost her son, she lost her job, and she lost her home. So what is it that the Latimers thinks she's done to them? She can't be held responsible for the inexplicable -- and certainly unprecedented and unpredictable -- actions of her husband. Hell, at one point Beth thought her own husband had killed their son, so how is it beyond her to understand that you could not really know the person you're married to? I just don't get this misplaced rage. Did I miss something?

P.S. What a relief to hear David Tennant speaking in his normal voice!

I agree that Beth's rage to Ellie seems over the top.  She had no idea where Danny was going.  She had no idea her teenage daughter was having sex.  She had no idea Mark was having an affair (and is again doing something behind her back).  She accused Ellie of not knowing what was going on in her own family and that's exactly what Beth was guilty of.   I do hope that sometime this season Ellie gets over her guilt and lets Beth have it (verbally, of course).

Even Mark has told Beth to shut up.  At least his anger is focused on Joe Miller, not Ellie Miller.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 6

Hell, at one point Beth thought her own husband had killed their son, so how is it beyond her to understand that you could not really know the person you're married to?

THANK YOU. I get that Beth is upset and probably feels very helpless; therefore she's focusing her rage on people like Ellie, who don't deserve it. Also pregnancy hormones. But damn woman, you need to pay attention to the super squicky behavior your husband Mark is exhibiting.

You guys? I have to be honest. I spent most of the hour watching this show going, "Wait. What?" 

Not because I didn't remember characters or previous storylines, but because I didn't understand what anyone was doing or saying. The Lattimers need legal representation? All the rigamarole between this Jocelyn and Sharon? Joe pleading NOT GUILTY? Huh? Isn't there a signed and/or videotaped confession? This whole Claire/Sandbrook crap? The clergy dude sleeping with what's her face? 

None of these people make any sense. But obviously I'm in for the whole season. I love the acting too much to give up now.

• Love 1
I do hope that sometime this season Ellie gets over her guilt and lets Beth have it (verbally, of course).

I know, right? When Beth was screaming in Ellie's face at the cemetery, I turned to my husband and said, "I'd pay anything to see Ellie haul off and crack Beth a good one across her face right now!" She's not the only victim in this situation. You'd think she could get her head around that fact by now.

• Love 5

What an opener. I had forgotten how much I had gotten into Broadchurch. The Ellie/Hardy dynamic is so compelling. Olivia C is extraordinary.  I forgot Gracepoint in a heartbeat. The procedural may be a bit lumpy, but season 1 was the same, I watch it for the characterizations.

• Love 4

Oh boy.  I'm going to be saying, "Shut up, Beth!" a lot.   I saw Eve Myles in "Frankie" and she really bugged me there, and already bugs me here.  And the last time I saw Charlotte Rampling was on the horrible last season of "Dexter" and I was beyond over it at that point and she did not help matters.

But, Ellie and Tenant are back, so I'm in!

• Love 2

I just don't agree with folks criticism of Beth. I'm not saying Beth is right. But her behavior is really true to me. Ellie was her friend. She can't comprehend how Ellie didn't know about Joe. She is going to lash out at someone and when we do that, we don't typically lash out rationally.  Quite the opposite. And Ellie is a logical target.  Remember, Beth does not see what we see, so her perspective on Ellie in this is different from ours.

I'm really interested in the courtroom drama.  I love legal dramas, and I think it'll be fascinating to get a feel for the British system, fictionalizing of the process notwithstanding.

I was excited to see Eve Myles. I haven't seen her since Torchwood. It definitely was a retcon to have Tennant suddenly proclaim to have hidden her out near Broadchurch before the season 1 arc.  There wasn't even a hint of that in season 1 and we saw where he was staying, so suddenly there is a big ass house he had rented or something? But he was staying in a hotel?  Clearly inconsistent, but also minor enough to easily shake off and look past.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this first episode. I thought it was great.  And it was a nice tip of continuity to have Tom still have Susan's keys.  The exhumation might have been weird, but we don't know what legal filings were made since the Latimer's attorney just came on the case, whereas there was presumably just a generic crown attorney previously.  In any case, I can't wait until next week.  No really, it's frustrating that I have to.  Argh!

• Love 2

I don't think Beth is right and she is way over the top, but she is also pregnant and I remember how those hormones can work! She thought the whole thing would be over and she could have her baby in peace and put Danny's death behind her. Now, she has to live the whole nightmare again, she can't do anything to Joe and Ellie is there and an easy target. Plus, like I said, hormones. So although she is wrong, I'm hoping that eventually, after the baby is born and things wrap up, she becomes more rational about Ellie.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just caught the premiere (well, the U.S. one at least): thought it was pretty good.  I was wondering how they were going to continue from S1, and I can roll with part of it being Joe being a coward/asshole and pleading not guilty, therefore dragging this out with a trial; and the other part is Hardy dealing with the return of guy who got away with the murder that almost ruined his career.

I went in completely unspoiled, so seeing folks like Charlotte Rampling, Eve Myles, and James D'Arcy was certainly a surprise.  Especially the latter two.  Any time there were David Tennant/Eve Myles scenes, I totally flashed to Ten and Gwen Cooper.  And, after Agent Carter, it's going to be interesting seeing D'Arcy and not just think of him as Creepy Jarvis.  I hope I can get past that, because I refuse to find Jarvis creepy!

Favorite moments were easily the stuff with Hardy and Ellie, and Ellie in general.  Olivia Coleman is just a revelation in this role, and her chemistry with Tennant is amazing.  I feel awful for Ellie: Joe really did destroy her life.  Her reputation is shot, seems to have lost almost all of her friends, her own son won't talk to her, and it looked like she was demoted.  And, now Joe is probably just going to make it worse.  Coward.

I did want to just yell at Beth to shut it and quit being a jerk, but I do think it's sadly realistic that she would lash out like this.  After everything that happened, I think she has to find someone to blame, and since she can't get to Joe, Ellie is the next best thing.  Still, it's really not making her look good.  But, still, I at least find the Latimers sympathetic compared to Gracepoint's Solanos (only comparison I will make.)  I do think there will be trouble over Mark hanging out with Tommy.

Curious to see how the trial is going to go with Rampling vs. her protege.  At first, I was wondering why since it sounded like a slam dunk, but it seems like they're going to pull up all the mistakes to poke holes in the case.  I totally forgot that Hardy arrested Joe by himself, and I can see the defense attorney using that.  And, yeah, not surprised Ellie beating the crap out of Joe is going to rear it's ugly head. 

We'll see what the rest of the season has instore, but as long as I get plenty of Hardy/Ellie and great look scenery, I'm set.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Really, I think Beth is angry at herself.  She's angry that her family was able to keep so many secrets from her (Mark's affair, Danny's relationship with Joe, Chloe's boyfriend/the money/the drugs).  She believes a mother should know what's going on in the house, so she lashes out at Ellie who she believes should have known.  Yes, it's hypocrisy, but Beth is upset and looking for someone to blame.  I don't blame her for her initial hostility, but I would have hoped that six months would have given her time to think about it.

It reminds me of true crime shows I've seen where a serial killer is arrested (like BTK, etc) and his wife was completely clueless.  Inevitably, at least one victim's family member express disbelief that the wife didn't know.  But...I mean how many of us have spouses, parents, siblings, children that we trust?  How many of us would ever believe our father would murder someone?  Our brother?  Our son?  And it fit with the theme of how Ellie's view of Broadchurch the town was shaken through the entire case.  She told Hardy constantly how things like this didn't happen in this town, how she knew this person or that person.  As the case went on, she finds out Mark is an adulterer, Jack did jail time, Coates was an alcoholic.  The people - the town - she thought she knew didn't exist.  It must have been a comfort to go home every night to a husband and sons where everything was safe and where there were no surprises.

And in the end she had to learn what Susan Wright had tried to tell her...it is possible to be fooled by those you trust the most.

I was a little creeped out by Mark meeting with Tom - who seems to have grown a foot and gone through puberty - in the last six months.  Is this a case of Joe Stole My Son So I'm Gonna Steal His?  Does he just need to get away from home and spend time with another boy?  Is he just afraid Beth will freak out?

Whatever happened to Grandma anyway?

As to Joe, I get where he's going with this.  He felt guilty for killing Danny so he confessed.  But several months in jail have given him time to think about how he will be able to live in prison as a man who murdered a child.  He said so himself that he cannot spend the rest of his life in prison as a child killer.  I don't know much about the British penal system, but the American system is full of offenders against children who are abused by their fellow inmates.    Likely Joe got to thinking about his life behind bars.  He's willing to take a chance at being found not guilty to avoid that life.

I do agree that this Claire business is a bit of a distraction, though.  And it's just way too soon for me to have to accept that adorable Mr. Jarvis as a creepy killer.

• Love 4

The e-books that were published following each episode give a little detail people are wondering about, not seen in series 2. Since they were written under the supervision of Chris Chibnall they're fairly close to canon. I'll put the little bit of detail we learn from each book into the corresponding episode thread.

From the e-book for episode 1:

Ellie was not demoted. She started off as a D.S. in Devon, but the first case she got there upset her and she realized she needed to step back to easier duty. That's how she's ended up on traffic duty.

• Love 1

Correct me if I'm wrong (Comcast was spotty, grr), but other than saying "not guilty" in court, Joe hasn't said to anyone that he didn't kill Danny, right? He doesn't want to go to jail for it and is upset that other people have secrets (ok...), but isn't proclaiming innocence to anyone, really.

So is the case with Claire the same one that Hardy's ex-wife lost crucial evidence to? Didn't that evidence prove the killer, only it was stolen/lost? If so, there's not much question Hardy knows Jarvis is the real killer.

So is the case with Claire the same one that Hardy's ex-wife lost crucial evidence to? Didn't that evidence prove the killer, only it was stolen/lost? If so, there's not much question Hardy knows Jarvis is the real killer.

Yes and it's going to be the other story that will be unfolding in season 2.  All your questions will be answered and the lady who asked about where was Beth's mother you'll find out in the next episode. 

I'm not so much looking for answers from those who have seen beyond their release in the States, I'm more working through what we know (info from season 1) and what others are also wondering (is Jarvis guilty, or will Hardy be blinded by his closeness to the case?).

I think we need to be careful even saying things as seemingly innocent as, "that will be answered" when you have a staggered release like this. 

• Love 5

I was a little creeped out by Mark meeting with Tom - who seems to have grown a foot and gone through puberty - in the last six months.  Is this a case of Joe Stole My Son So I'm Gonna Steal His?  Does he just need to get away from home and spend time with another boy?  Is he just afraid Beth will freak out?

I actually had no idea who Mark was with until I read it here, I didn't recognize Tom at all.  Partly from the actor growing, and partly from having Gracepoint in my head more recently.  Really wish I'd watched an episode or two of season one again before starting season two, there were several things I'd forgotten.  (although I was pleased to see Mark here, considering how much I absolutely despised Michael Pena's dead-eyed acting in Gracepoint. Ugh, I hate him as an actor!!!)

I'm not looking forward to the courtroom shenanigans that are probably coming up.  I like courtroom dramas sometimes, but for some reason I just am not looking forward to it at all with Broadchurch.  Maybe because I don't trust them to even attempt to be accurate, after the "can't bury the body" garbage from season one.

Honestly, I'm tempted to just read the recaps and not actually watch the episodes.

Honestly, I'm tempted to just read the recaps and not actually watch the episodes.

The trouble with recaps is that you're relying on someone else's impressions instead of forming your own - and you don't have to look far on this forum to see how people can interpret the same scenes in completely different ways, notice different things, place emphasis on different points. Far better to watch and judge for yourself before looking to anyone else's reaction.

• Love 1
(edited)

Please do stick with it. If you skip scenes or whole episodes you have the potential to miss the different layers of the stories of series 2. Recaps never do a scene justice because they're from the recapper's POV and they miss things.

Edited by staveDarsky

I'm getting confused about the location. Ellie is now in Devon, which is way down south. Broadchurch is north? I guess it must also be in the south, although the accents don't sound like it. I know it was modeled after Dorset, which is southwest.  Anyway, if Ellie's new life (and kids) are in Devon, how did Tommy (her son) manage to play FIFA soccer with Mark? Where was the baby during the trial? 

Dummy here, and it's too late for me, but where did everyone watch this in January, before BBC started it just this past week?

I am so happy this show is back.  One question - I'm a little confused by Tom living with Ollie and Ollie's mom (Ellie's sister).  Wasn't she a drug addict in season 1, who barely had a place to live and tried to extort money from Ellie? What kind of person is that for Tom to live with?  Although, if she was the woman Ollie was having lunch with after the trial in this episode (when she mentioned "I'll have to testify"), that was an amazing transformation that I'm not sure I believe. 

I'm getting confused about the location. Ellie is now in Devon, which is way down south. Broadchurch is north? I guess it must also be in the south, although the accents don't sound like it. I know it was modeled after Dorset, which is southwest.  Anyway, if Ellie's new life (and kids) are in Devon, how did Tommy (her son) manage to play FIFA soccer with Mark? Where was the baby during the trial? 

Only Fred is with Ellie, wherever she lives; she mentioned a childminder in the psychiatrist scene so I would assume Fred is with that person during the trial too.  Tom is living with Ellie's sister and Ollie, in Broadchurch, because apparently he has issues with his mom....because his dad killed Danny, I guess????

• Love 3

I'm not spoiled and I liked the first ep. It held my interest although I was having some difficulty placing some characters and remembering some details. That all was filled in reading the forum here. They have certainly set up a number of plot points - a little awkwardly at times so hopefully that will stop next ep.

I did want to just yell at Beth to shut it and quit being a jerk, but I do think it's sadly realistic that she would lash out like this.  After everything that happened, I think she has to find someone to blame, and since she can't get to Joe, Ellie is the next best thing.  Still, it's really not making her look good.  But, still, I at least find the Latimers sympathetic compared to Gracepoint's Solanos (only comparison I will make.)  I do think there will be trouble over Mark hanging out with Tommy.

I'm interested to see where this ends up. Beth appears to be in the exact spot Ellie was last series - not knowing what her husband was doing. Beth was there last series too but it's the exact same situation this time. Although, Ellie didn't seem to have any reason to doubt or mistrust her husband while Beth has red flags practically hitting her in the face. That's the main reason I join the chorus of Shut up Beth!

Love the the relationship with Hardy and Ellie - the humor, irritation and awkwardness - very well done.

I'm actually looking forward to the trial and think it should be interesting. Will have to see how Hardy's last case plays out. That's the least interesting set up for me.

I didn't recognize Eve Myles. Didn't like her character at all on Torchwood. Hoping that doesn't happen here.

• Love 1

Broadchurch is set on the Dorset coast, which is the south of England. Devon is just next door, so if Broadchurch is at the western end of Dorset and Ellie's new job at the eastern end of Devon, there need only be a few miles between the two. The accents used for the show are west country (south west England, that is), not northern.

Ellie has a childminder for Fred. Tom isn't living with her at the moment, he's still in Broadchurch with his aunt.

• Love 3

Dummy here, and it's too late for me, but where did everyone watch this in January, before BBC started it just this past week?

It aired in the UK in January, and also Showcase in Canada aired it in January with about a week delay from the UK showings. It was also available online (and still is, if you don't want to wait between episodes!)

• Love 1

I have not read any spoilers, and I would like to respectfully request that people who did see all of season 2 please do not post things they already know.  In fact, even saying things like "this will make more sense to you later" is kind of a downer for me.  Now that it is airing in the US, I'd like to be able to come here and discuss the episodes without fear of reading something that happens later.

• Love 9
(edited)

I would like to add the term "childminder" into my regular vocabulary.

Tom is staying with his Aunt? Is that the same Aunt who has a drug/alcohol problem who wanted Ellie to pay her before giving information about what she saw the night Danny was killed?

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

I would like to add the term "childminder" into my regular vocabulary.

Tom is staying with his Aunt? Is that the same Aunt who has a drug/alcohol problem who wanted Ellie to pay her before giving information about what she saw the night Danny was killed?

Yes. Tom's with Ellie's sister Lucy and his cousin Ollie, the reporter who still lives with his mom. Lucy has a gambling problem, though like you, I thought it was drink/drugs.

Ellie gave her a cheque for £1000 and then Lucy gave her the info about seeing someone dropping a bag into the dumpster near her place on the night Danny died.

• Love 2

Have been eagerly looking forward to this return. First episode was a winner! Love the acting chemistry between the two leads. Olivia Colman is knocking it outta the park.

I tried watching Gracepoint and could not abide it. I scoffed and snorted through two episodes and quit, then found the first season of Broadchurch online.

But the actresses who play Beth and the one who's in hiding annoy the heck out of me. I can't stand hysterical screaming female characters, regardless of the motivation. A teeny bit goes a very long way.

My long-ago ancestry is in Dorset, so I'm loving the scenery.

Broadchurch is set on the Dorset coast, which is the south of England. Devon is just next door, so if Broadchurch is at the western end of Dorset and Ellie's new job at the eastern end of Devon, there need only be a few miles between the two. The accents used for the show are west country (south west England, that is), not northern.

Ellie has a childminder for Fred. Tom isn't living with her at the moment, he's still in Broadchurch with his aunt.

Llywella, thank you for explaining the geography of Broadchurch and Devon are.  I was wondering how far away Ellie was in her new job.

• Love 1

Dorset/ Devon is gorgeous. I would like to hang out there. Is the water warm enoug to swim in in summer?

I'm a bit puzzled by the notion of crossing a prosecutor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's an option of any kind in the us.

Though it makes for good drama. Could have stood one less scene of her refusing since inpt was a given she would change her mind because otherwise she has no business being on the show, they pulled me in when I thought I was out is a trope from the godfather to the patriot to...

Neck beard is not attractive.

Was that a clean shaven young hardy in a flashback? And what was I supposed to glean from the neighbor smoking a cigarette in that flashbacks?

(edited)

Dorset/ Devon is gorgeous. I would like to hang out there. Is the water warm enoug to swim in in summer?

Was that a clean shaven young hardy in a flashback? And what was I supposed to glean from the neighbor smoking a cigarette in that flashbacks?

Depends how hardy you are and how warm the summer is - I've bathed off the south coast of England many times. It can be quite bracing, even on a warm summer's day, but gorgeous once you're in.

Yes, that was indeed a clean-shaven young Hardy in the flashbacks. I think the cigarette-smoking flashback in this ep was just to establish Ashworth and Claire as shady next-door-neighbours to the dead girl's family - we've heard so much about this case and the effect it had on Hardy, now we're starting to meet the actual players in that story, and here they are, sort of thing.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 5

Thrilled that Season 2 is now airing in the US. Loved seeing Marianne Jean-Baptiste from Without a Trace as the defense attorney. I keep wondering if Joe is actually innocent despite his confession? Seeing Mark watching videos with Tom creeped me out. Hardy and Millah(!) have such great chemistry - wonderful acting team. Was surprised by the Vicar and Becca. This season is off to an explosive start.

• Love 2

I`m so happy the show is airing in the US now! I burned through the whole first season in a couple days, so I`m excited to watch this season as it airs. I thought it was a great first episode, even though it was sometimes hard to watch. 

Look, Beth. Your son was murdered, and that was horrible, and you have the right to be upset. But stop taking it out on poor Ellie. She messed up big time not figuring out what was going on with her husband, but its not like you were all that clued into what was going on in your house either. Again, I get being upset, but save it for the guy who deserves your anger, not the only person who might hate the asshole more than you. Speaking of...

Joe is such a damn scumbag. Kudos to the actor playing him, because I want to punch him in the face every time I see him.

God the scenery is beautiful. If I ever make it to England, I want to visit all the filming locations ASAP.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the premiere and am actually glad they are exploring the ripple effects of what happened. We'll see how well this works with the reemergence of the Sandbrook case, but I am looking forward to this season.

Fundamentally, I understand why Beth is acting the way she is (feels guilty, lashing out) but I also want to smack her and tell her to recognize that it's not a) Ellie's fault and b) it's not going to change what happened. Furthermore, I really hope Ellie does not spend the whole season crying-- if this continues I'd really like her to confront Beth.

One thing that I think is going to annoy me: the way they are dealing Reverend Paul counseling Joe. I feel like they are portraying it as if Paul sneaking around seeing Joe in jail, but really-- that's his job! Whether or not people agree with it, it's his obligation as part of his job, not to mention part of his faith. Yes, there are pastors that do specific prison ministry (at least in the US, maybe not in Britain) but because Joe is a member of the congregation, he has a right to request that Rev Paul minister to him while he is in jail. I can only speculate that when the townspeople found out (which they inevitably will) they will feel pissed off and betrayed, but it's not about whether or not Paul likes Joe and supports him-- it's his job as a priest to counsel those in need, even if that person is a pedophile and a murderer.  It's not really any of their business if the Reverend is counseling Joe, as those sessions are confidential-- just like it's not any of their business if he were counseling anyone else in the town.

• Love 3

Most opinions I've read say the Latimers wouldn't be able to pick the Crown's barrister. At best, they could have a lawyer of their own present who represents their interests. The writer claims he had legal advisors go over the script.

I was startled by Tom not living with Ellie because he apparently doesn't want to - it's been a while since I saw the S1 finale, but I seem to recall that their dynamic was fine then. She told him his father killed Danny and he didn't express any anger at her. I guess he was probably in shock then, but still, not wanting to live with her is extreme...and he must've been really adamant about it for her to agree to go along with it.

In addition to the other humorous moments that have already been mentioned, I loved when Hardy was fumbling for the name of Ellie's younger son and she screamed "Fred!" at him.

• Love 2

Great episode, glad this show is back.

I know Beth and the show were kind of setting up the idea that Mark was still cheating and that's where he kept disappearing to.  However, I figured we'd find out he was in therapy or something.  The reveal that he's hanging out with Tom as Susan's trailer is pinging several bells.  Add Joe pleading Not Guilty and wanting the truth to come out and now I'm wondering if Mark/Joe were both into boys or something.  However, Joe took it too far by going after a Danny?  Probably not, it's way to Criminal Minds (had a similar set up several years back).

That scene creeped me the heck out. It seemed like Mark was plotting a revenge killing of Tom?? Could be he has a lot of different motives: having time with someone like his son, trying to understand how Joe "fell in love" with Danny?
(edited)

I know I'm way behind watching this on Netflix, so maybe this will be answered in a future episode. But it seems bizarre that Tom isn't living with Ellie. First, it's unclear why he's mad at her when he should be mad at his dad and therefore on her side. Second, the aunt he's living with was a mess last season, not fit to take care of a kid. Third, why would he want to be in Broadchurch? If he's going to school there I would think the other kids would be picking on him because of what his dad did. When Ellie said she was leaving town last season, one of the reasons was to give the kids a fresh start. So why is she allowing Tom to stay in Broadchurch with her sketchy sister? And he's what, 12? Twelve year olds aren't usually allowed to choose not to live with their parents even if they're mad at them. I'm guessing the plot of him hanging out with Mark is going to be significant, but it's all very strange and it's hard to see what reasons they could possibly give that would make it believable. 

Edited by LeGrandElephant
On January 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Pippin said:

And speaking of the defense attorney, I think I could really get to dislike her in a hurry.  The look on her face at the exhumation was rather smug.

And that hits on a key problem with the show, I think. It's just not executed at as high a level as it ought to be. No actual defense attorney would disclose her own feelings with a smug smile like that in that situation. She'd be feigning serious concern, treating it like "no one wants to be doing this, but it has to be done." A good director should be reigning stuff like that smug smile in, if it was the actress's inclination. Too often Broadchurch goes broad, as if it doesn't trust the audience to "get" characters' motivations unless they're super-spelled-out for us. The actress who plays Beth has also been allowed to do too much mugging, ever since Series One Episode One.

On 2016-05-23 at 9:44 PM, LeGrandElephant said:

it seems bizarre that Tom isn't living with Ellie. First, it's unclear why he's mad at her when he should be mad at his dad and therefore on her side. ... Third, why would he want to be in Broadchurch? ... And he's what, 12?

In the end, I think that Tom believed Ellie set Joe up to get out of the marriage. But once she called him on the damage he'd done to Mark by implying Mark might have indicated he was guilty, Tom came to his senses. Tom should have been 12 in series 2, but the actor had grown so much, his age was jumped to 13, which in some jurisdictions, is old enough to decide where to live. 

It was strange that Tom had no bullying or other fall-out from his dad being Danny's killer. I think in real life he would have been shunned. I am wondering if we'll see some fall-out in series 3.

On 2016-07-24 at 7:26 PM, Milburn Stone said:

And that hits on a key problem with the show, I think. It's just not executed at as high a level as it ought to be. No actual defense attorney would disclose her own feelings with a smug smile like that in that situation. She'd be feigning serious concern, treating it like "no one wants to be doing this, but it has to be done." ...

I agree. Chibnall seemed to prioritize Bishop's feud with Jocelyn over being professional. It was enough that he had Abby be so inappropriately competitive and unprofessional. The Sharon Bishop story was the weakest in all of series 2.