Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings & Scheduling: That's what more and more of you missed on Glee

Glory

Not at all surprised with a viewership bounce. We're at the end and there are a lot of people who just want to see how it all wraps up. Thankfully the last episode was one of the better ones this season. Hopefully that will bode well for the last two.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/03/21/glee-finale-ratings/

The "Glee" finale set a season high in total viewers, but its performance left a lot to be desired.

Series finales rarely represent national “events” in today’s television era. They do not prompt tens of millions of fringe and non-fans to unite with the diehards in waving goodbye. They do not dominate the national focus the way series like “M*A*S*H” and “Seinfeld” did when they concluded.

The two-hour “Glee” finale, which aired Friday sans even a hint of momentum, had no prayer of changing that reality.

It did not change that reality.

According to fast national data, Friday’s “Glee” finale drew a modest 0.8 adults 18-49 rating with 2.70 million viewers from 8-9PM and a 0.7 with 2.53 million from 9-10PM.

The most-watched “Glee” episode of the season, the episode’s viewership total was nonetheless very far from massive. Prior to the midway point of season 5, the notion of a “Glee” episode–let alone the series finale–drawing fewer than 3 million total viewers was unfathomable.

The performance was even less impressive in the realm of adults 18-49. This week’s finale performance precisely mirrors that of the season six premiere, which drew the same 0.8 fast national rating at 8PM and an equivalent 0.7 rating at 9PM.

Glee Sixth Season Ratings Trajectory:
(Episode Date – Adults 18-49 rating – Total Viewership)
March 20 – (final #s pending)
March 13 – 0.7, 2.02M
March 6 – 0.6 – 1.81M
February 27 – 0.6 – 1.69M
February 20 – 0.6 – 1.86M
February 13 – 0.6 – 1.81M
February 6 – 0.5 – 1.58M
January 30 – 0.7 – 1.85M
January 23 – 0.7 – 1.82M
January 16 – 0.7 – 1.98M
January 9 (average of two episodes) – 0.7 – 2.34M

Glee Series Finale Ratings:

8-9pm   0.8/2.70M viewers

9-10pm 0.7/2.53M viewers

Overall: 2.6M viewers

Usually a show doesn't turn off and lose its viewers in finale (well at least I don't/didn't think they would). I would think most would want to follow through to the end. Yet once again Glee is being "ground breaking".

I guess it could have been worse. Those numbers are generous considering the pile of crap "Dreams Come True" was. 

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 3

Comparative NUmbers for multiple year shows that unlike Glee, had consistent ratings problems during their runs...actually Heroes had early peak Glee like numbers it's first years

Series Finales:  Ratings and LIve viewers

Fringe                                      1.0     3.2 million  (also on Fridays)  /5  seasons

Parks and Recreation        1.6     4.2 million/ 7 seasons

Chuck                                               4.31 million/(also on Fridays) 5 seasons

Heroes                                              4.4 million/ 4 seasons

Parenthood                           1.7     5.5 million/ 6 Seasons

It seems that Glee holds the record for lowest rated series finale of a multiple season major network show and smallest live audience EVER,

A record is a record, no? 

Edited by caracas1914
Well Dollhouse had 2.16 million viewers...though it only had 26 episodes in total.

Was FOX"s Dollhouse ever a hit?  It seemed it struggled mightily in the ratings from it's onset and was a surprise renewal even for a second season.  But sure, it had a smaller live audience in the end than Glee did, and technically Dollhouse was "multiple seasons".

Having said that, in the all important ratings (18-49) even it's finale bested Glee.   The last series hour episode for Doll House, on a Friday , scored a .8 rating.   Hell, even the CW's ailing  6th year show "Gossip Girl" reached .8 for it's last regular hour aired in it's 6th season.  Mind you we are talking the CW.

So as of now, Glee's .7 rated last hour is still the champ, as the lowest rated episode of a multi year network  series finale.  Will anybody knock it off it's pedestal any time soon?

Edited by caracas1914

So as of now, Glee's .7 rated last hour is still the champ, as the lowest rated episode of a multi year network  series finale.  Will anybody knock it off it's pedestal any time soon?

I'd like to see Ryan take the blame for that the way he takes the credit for the initial success. 

• Love 3
(edited)

New Girl might be gunning for that title. 

It just got a prelim 0.9, and is coming back for another season, which will likely fall some more.

Oh or Mindy Project assuming it gets another season, when its finale got a 0.8.

Oh, Fox...

Edited by jjjmoss

What makes Glee's ratings in the last few seasons so remarkable is how much they declined from the peak/glory days. Shows like Fringe, Parenthood, and Dollhouse were never huge hits nor suffered as much as a decline of ratings that Glee did. I guess Heroes is more comparable to Glee, since it was a big hit in it's first couple of seasons and just tanked.

• Love 1

In my area of the country the Glee reruns in syndication went from being on two hours a week Saturday prime-time on My Network TV (a Fox owned network)  to being on two hours a week Saturday late night to being pulled altogether.  This tells me that Glee has not done well in syndication.  Not surprising considering how it ended up and also how RM & team's almost obsessive drive to keep Glee relevant to the times with pop culture reference after pop culture reference dated the show really quickly.  

Edited by camussie

In my area of the country the Glee reruns in syndication went from being on two hours a week Saturday prime-time on My Network TV (a Fox owned network) to being on two hours a week Saturday late night to being pulled altogether. This tells me that Glee has not done well in syndication. Not surprising considering how it ended up and also how RM & team's almost obsessive drive to keep Glee relevant to the times with pop culture reference after pop culture reference dated the show really quickly.

Also, a lot of the references that Glee made was aimed at those in the fandom. If you weren't active in the fandom, you wouldn't know what they were talking about. This type of writing alienates fans.

In my area of the country the Glee reruns in syndication went from being on two hours a week Saturday prime-time on My Network TV (a Fox owned network)  to being on two hours a week Saturday late night to being pulled altogether.  This tells me that Glee has not done well in syndication.  Not surprising considering how it ended up and also how RM & team's almost obsessive drive to keep Glee relevant to the times with pop culture reference after pop culture reference dated the show really quickly.  

They were airing them Sunday afternoons in my area but got pulled a couple of weeks ago.