Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

Ryan talks about plans for Season 6, expecting 24 episode aka  a full season +2;

http://tvline.com/2014/04/15/glee-season-6-spoilers-returning-cast/#more-509496

Sorry but Season Six already sounds likes a hot mess.

He going to invite back EVERYONE? Including Season One people? It's going to be 24 episodes with 50 episodes of storylines crammed in. And reading between the lines, the Noobs are not coming as regulars.

Edited by caracas1914

I am waiting to hear from Fox on the whole 24 episode thing.  I have serious doubts Glee will get 22 episodes, let alone 24.  As for the rest it sounds like we get a time jump with Rachel, of course achieving stardom in other venues, but her not finding it satisfying so she returns to Lima to find peace/satisfaction.  Cue Will replacing Finn in the final scene with the romantic undertones stripped away.  

She probably returns to Lima after she has a successful run in LA playing a high school student in a show about a show choir.  It can be named "Sing" just like it was on "The New Normal" and as an added bonus Rachel can fall in love with her co-star.  Either Kurt or Blaine goes with her and she also brings along Mercedes and Sam to work on the show and Artie to direct it.  

• Love 1

Oh I think they are having Heather return so they can write off Santana more permanently.  I don't expect her to be that involved in season 6 although maybe with Naya's personal circumstances changing that has changed too.

That sounded like a whole lot of nothing to me. Honestly I read that as Ryan just bullshitting the reporters through the entire interview because the simple truth is they don't have a freaking clue what to do with this show anymore.

So he just threw a bunch of stuff he figured some fans wanted to her - like all the original cast, oh yeah they'll definitely all be back. Like the newbies, yeah they'll be back too but don't ask me how because it's all mysterious and amazing. Translation, I have no freaking clue.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Yea, it sounds like Rachel will find her way back to Lima, maybe she will become the new Directions director.

God help us all.

Just horrible.   Could go down as the worse finale for a character ever.

• Love 1

I don't imagine there's anything good in store for Kurt. His role in Glee appears to be (1) STAR Rachel's BFF (2) Superstar-in-training Blaine's BF. It would be nice if the big event at the end of S5 was Kurt realising fuck this noise and eloping with Elliott.

• Love 4

Those who have been fretting over bully Chris Colfer ousting Darren Criss from Glee will be relieved to know there's an update on the Blind Gossip site. Due to overwhelming cries of distress from fans after Blind Gossip printed the item that said producers were going to get rid of the actor, the producers "totally reversed course about his leaving! They apologized for trying to push him out, begged him to stay… and gave him a huge bump in pay! He will now be staying through the end of the show’s final season. The writers also asked him for his input on what to do with his character. To keep the peace on set, they all agreed that his character will break up with the character played by the bully actor who wanted him out. That means Our Actor will now get his own story lines that do not involve the bully and that will minimize the time that he has to film with both the nasty people who tried to force him out."

Not sure how this dovetails with RM's latest interview, but it's fun to play What If. My conspiracy theory mind hopes they don't kill off Burt, remember he's a congressman and send Kurt off to DC in his place.

Episode description for 518 - "the Back-Up Plan"

—“GLEE” - (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

WITH NEW OPPORTUNITIES COME NEW CHALLENGES ON AN ALL-NEW “GLEE” TUESDAY, APRIL 29, ON FOX

Legendary Actress Shirley MacLaine Guest-Stars

Rachel jeopardizes her “Funny Girl” lead when she auditions for a television pilot. Meanwhile, Mercedes (guest star Amber Riley) tries to help get Santana in on her recording deal, and Blaine befriends an older, rich socialite (guest star Shirley MacLaine) in the all-new “Back-Up Plan” episode of GLEE airing Tuesday, April 29 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-518) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel; Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans.

Guest Cast: Shirley MacLaine as June Dolloway.

I feel a shut up Rachel and a shut up Mercedes coming on.  If Rachel is breaking contract by auditioning for that pilot I hope the hammer comes down but if recent history is any indication the producers at FG will eat crow.  As for Mercedes, while it is nice that she wants to help Santana, given the unlikely second or third chance she has been given perhaps she should just give them her best effort before trying to parlay it into favors for a friend.  I won't even speak about Blaine who, like Rachel, gets opportunity after opportunity dumped in his lap.

Those who have been fretting over bully Chris Colfer ousting Darren Criss from Glee will be relieved to know there's an update on the Blind Gossip site. Due to overwhelming cries of distress from fans after Blind Gossip printed the item that said producers were going to get rid of the actor, the producers "totally reversed course about his leaving! They apologized for trying to push him out, begged him to stay… and gave him a huge bump in pay! He will now be staying through the end of the show’s final season. The writers also asked him for his input on what to do with his character. To keep the peace on set, they all agreed that his character will break up with the character played by the bully actor who wanted him out. That means Our Actor will now get his own story lines that do not involve the bully and that will minimize the time that he has to film with both the nasty people who tried to force him out."

Not sure how this dovetails with RM's latest interview, but it's fun to play What If. My conspiracy theory mind hopes they don't kill off Burt, remember he's a congressman and send Kurt off to DC in his place.

Wasn't the other person who was suppose to be ousted Darren, Lea?  Who it now seems they are setting up to be stuck with Blam next season? 

Episode description for 518 - "the Back-Up Plan"

I feel a shut up Rachel and a shut up Mercedes coming on.  If Rachel is breaking contract by auditioning for that pilot I hope the hammer comes down but if recent history is any indication the producers at FG will eat crow.  As for Mercedes, while it is nice that she wants to help Santana, given the unlikely second or third chance she has been given perhaps she should just give them her best effort before trying to parlay it into favors for a friend.  I won't even speak about Blaine who, like Rachel, gets opportunity after opportunity dumped in his lap.

Except many actors audition for other roles while being on Bway.  

They may but from that episode description I am guessing that for some reason her contract does not allow her to do that. Either that or she skips a show to do so and her producers find out and are rightfully ticked.   There has to be something she does in this audition process that jeopardizes her status as FG lead.  If the last 1.5 seasons is any indicator, though, the "consequences", will be her getting an even more fabulous offer.  

Edited by camussie

They may but from that episode description I am guessing that for some reason her contract does not allow her to do that. Either that or she skips a show to do so and her producers find out and are rightfully ticked.   There has to be something she does in this audition process that jeopardizes her status as FG lead.  If the last 1.5 seasons is any indicator, though, the "consequences", will be her getting an even more fabulous offer.  

Which again is silly.   Why they feel the need to have her burn bridges everywhere seems unnesscary.

Supposedly the title for 520 is "The Untitled Rachel Berry Project."  Guess she nails her audition, ditches FG (or her contract runs out), and heads off to Hollywood.   Why do I have a feeling "Sing" from "The New Normal" is about to make a comeback?  As far as who goes to LA with her I am thinking it will be Mercedes, Sam, Blaine, and maybe Artie.  Not so sure about Kurt.  Or if there is a time jump after this episode of several years maybe in early next season we learn that over time others ended up in LA.  I could see that for Mercedes (with Sam following her) and Artie and Blaine.  

Edited by camussie

I don't think it's going to matter.

They will all be graduated or working successfully in their chosen profession, so it will be like the Lima/NY express train. Kurt if stationed in NY will fly out to LA at the drop of a hat and vice versa. Frequent Flyer miles will be racked up at an astronomical rate.

I don't think Kurt features very much in the plans for S6 at all. 

The whole impetus of this Rachel Berry fame express train has me bleating under the bed. Barely out of high school, Broadway lead, a few weeks in she's too big for Broadway, then its on to a Hollywood project all for her, not even titled.

Rachel is getting farther and farther away from being human, let alone being a fucked up, intense but crazy talented kid I can relate to. 

An untitled Hollywood project if you're J-Law, maybe. 

I have no words.

Edited by heyerchick

What are they doing and why?    I don't get if they are switching locations why even do that?     Really for years they build up Rachel wanting to be a bway star and in NY and we will get one episode of her actually on Bway?

Meh is all I can think to say.

Edited by tom87

Rachel is not merely the lead of a Broadway musical, as Fanny, she IS the musical. By the time of opening night, she would have peerformed the role ~80 times, then ~35 times per month for an as yet unknown number of months by the time of the TV offer. Fanny requires an unusually enormous range in both acting and vocal technique and tremendous stamina. She would have spoken more lines and sung more solos in a major Broadway musical than all but a tiny hanful of star performers. Becasue of her youth and back story (2 gay dads, meteoric rise), she would have become more famous than Lea Michele currently is, and be considered a potentially huge box office draw in any medium. She would not have become "too big" for Broadway, but too small, in the sense that her nuanced acting and vocal skills are more suitable for the small screen and recording studio than is the case for the typical belting Broadway babe. (Hmm, I just may know of someone like that.) A chance for more, much more, money, exposure, fame, varied experience, and free time, from an opportunity that might never come along again. Who would take that risk and switch coasts? Two ladies, quite well known hereabouts, come quickly to mind.

As long as Rachel sings with the voice of Lea Michele, I find nothing that she has gotten to be the least bit unrealistic. Yes, such success is rare, but so are such prodigies, yet they do exist.

Edited by Higgs

No Rachel would not be suddenly famous enough to have her own un-named TV project.  She would have some cache is some circles but the public at large would have no idea who she was so a network exec wouldn't ride the budget of a whole TV show on her. People who get that are either creators of their own material (see The Mindy Project) or well known comedians (see Everybody loves Raymond).  

As far as taking that risk if she is going to break her contract (and that is what the previews seem to be saying) to take this TV opportunity I can't name any respected Broadway performer who would do that.  Frankly if it goes down that way her reputation would be toast in the Broadway community and rightfully so.  That doesn't even get into how I doubt any television production company would leave themselves open for a lawsuit from the producers of Funny Girl all because they just had to have Rachel Berry right that moment to star in a vehicle developed just for her.  

As far as her back story it hardly is the stuff of legend.  Two gay dads (which is not that unique these days) who basically gave her every advantage to achieve the career she has is not really an interesting story.  In fact it would be amazing if she hadn't succeeded in some form considering all of the training and coaching she got through the years that many a successful performer never had the advantage of getting.  A way more interesting story is someone who came from nothing and made it anyway.

Also if you think there are other real world performers who can be used as a good comparison to this crappy Rachel story why not just give their names instead of hinting at it?   Your "clues" are so vague they could be anyone.  

ETA: Here is the episode description for 519. I was right in my guess that Rachel skips a performance to audition for her pilot and lies about it

Rachel’s duplicitous actions come back to haunt her as news that she missed a performance of Funny Girl in order to audition for a TV pilot – and lied to producers about it – begins to hit the press. In order to prevent a wave of bad publicity that could sully her fresh image, Rachel enlists Santana’s help in rebranding herself. Deciding she needs to champion a worthwhile cause, she and the girls organize an all-female musical gala to benefit a local dog shelter (aptly titled “Broadway Bitches”), but Rachel soon realizes there is a marked difference between simply looking like a good person, and actually being one.

Kurt – who has been starting to feel inadequate in the wake of everyone else’s recent successes and finding himself excluded from the all-girl performance – befriends former Broadway star Maggie Banks, who is currently living in a senior-citizens home for retired performers. When he is given the chance to join the elderly cast in their production of Peter Pan, he seizes the opportunity, and tries to make a positive difference in the lives of Maggie, her friends, and her family. Meanwhile, the smitten Sam is eager to prove to Mercedes that he’s a responsible and dependable adult worthy of being considered husband (and father) material. To prove his point, he adopts a dog, but when “McConaughey” proceeds to destroy the apartment (and Mercedes’ expensive hair extensions), Sam must teach the dog some obedience or admit failure.

Glad she has some consequences for it but it sounds like by 520 she is able to leave her production for "The Untitled Rachel Berry Project" so whatever consequences there are they don't damage her career too much.  That.just.shocks.me.  

Edited by camussie

Well I guess then the good news for me is I can finally cut ties with the show, at least on a weekly basis.  I have no desire to watch Rachel  become new best buds with Blam, and Kurt is hardly around if at all.   The whole thought of it is pretty unappealing to me.   

• Love 1

Ugh, I shudder to think of how Glee will handle dog training. The world does not need more misinformation out there; a certain reality star dog "rehabilitator" has done quite enough harm already.

I didn't think for one second Chris would have free rein to write whatever he pleased, and he already mentioned having to familiarize himself with other character arcs at that point in the season, (and bless him for being able to use that word in a sentence about Glee with a straight face) so the most I hoped for was that Chris would have some fun with his episode. Looks like I'm getting my wish. 

A reliable tumblr source has spoiled the song "Werewolves of London" for Artie and Sam, so it looks like Chris has been generous with sharing the fun.

Fun. Not something I really associate with Glee any longer.

Fame can be enhanced by personal quirks and the resulting sensationalism. Pavarotti was the only opera singer who became a household name in the last half century, not because his voice was so much better than those of other tenors, but for its immediate recognizability, as well as his personal charm, including obesity. Hawking is the by far the most famous among great modern theoretical physicists solely because of his disability. "Two gay dads" is related to ongoing controversial political issues in many US states surrounding marriage and adoption regulations for gay parents. Rachel, like Pavarotti, has a very distinctive and immediately recognizable voice, and would have "gone viral" had she been chosen to tackle the iconic role of Fanny at 19, not because she was so much better than everyone else who might have been contenders (Michele, Kritzer, Ambrose, Mueller, etc.), but because of the publicity her "quirks" would have helped generate.

Two ladies who left successful Broadway shows in the middle of their runs to head west: Barbra, Lea. Of course, they didn't do anything like what Rachel will do in 5x19 in order to learn another Very Important Lesson and repent, but all three came to the same general conclusions about their lives and careers. I cannot rationalize nor wish to defend every twist and turn in the contrived SLs given Rachel, but I find the broad outlines to be reasonable.

Edited by Higgs

Two ladies who left successful Broadway shows in the middle of their runs to head west: Barbra, Lea. Of course, they didn't do anything like what Rachel will do in 5x19 in order to learn another Very Important Lesson and repent, but all three came to the same general conclusions about their lives and careers. I cannot rationalize nor wish to defend every twist and turn in the contrived SLs given Rachel, but I find the broad outlines to be reasonable.

Except l Lea did not leave in the middle of her run. She left SA months before went to LA.

But this isn't  even just another important lesson to have to learn it is common sense.   Now not only are they rehashing her  being a diva every other episode now they are making her dumb.

And I am someone who usually defends her to a fault casue I have been able to understand her putting up her diva guard and her insecurites.

Not an accurate representation of either Barbra Streisand's or Lea Michele's career.  Before Barbra Streisand landed "Funny Girl,"  she was a featured actress in "I Can Get It for You Wholesale" and was Tony nominated for that (in 1962 - at age 20).  It was 2 years after her debut in that that she did "Funny Girl" (in 1964 - at age 22). She wasn't offered some unnamed project on the spot because of her "Funny Girl" Broadway success nor did she walk away just a few months into FG's Broadway run.  She was there at least a year and then helped bring it to the London stage in 1966.  It was only after all of that she was the lead in "Funny Girl" the movie (in 1968).  From that success is when her film career really took off.  

As for Lea, she hardly had overnight success either.  She worked in Les Miserables, Ragtime, and Fiddler on the Roof before she was worked on "Spring Awakening."  Even with her success in "Spring Awakening," she was in it for 18 months before she decided to leave and take a chance at a Hollywood career (in May 2008).  A few months later RM started developing Glee and had her in mind for the part of Rachel.  Still that was a good 18 months after the show debuted on Broadway (which was after some out of town and off Broadway workshops much like they are doing for the fictional FG).

Rachel, like Pavarotti, has a very distinctive and immediately recognizable voice, and would have "gone viral" had she been chosen to tackle the iconic role of Fanny at 19, not because she was so much better than everyone else who might have been contenders (Michele, Kritzer, Ambrose, Mueller, etc.), but because of the publicity her "quirks" would have helped generate.

Rachel is hardly such a unique talent that I buy this story they are trying to sell.  I would find it hard to believe anyone was that special

But this isn't  even just another important lesson to have to learn it is common sense.   Now not only are they rehashing her  being a diva every other episode now they are making her dumb.

Except from all indications she there are really no consequences for her being dumb.  She gets some bad publicity for an episode but by the end of the next episode it seems she is offered her very own TV show to headline.  Given the last two years of writing for her I don't see that changing.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2
Two ladies who left successful Broadway shows in the middle of their runs to head west: Barbra, Lea. Of course, they didn't do anything like what Rachel will do in 5x19 in order to learn another Very Important Lesson and repent, but all three came to the same general conclusions about their lives and careers.

Every actor and actress makes conclusions about their lives and careers.   They make decisions regarding roles/parts.  Seth Rogen has made a general conclusion about his life and career that would parallel Rachel but it's irrelevant.

Actually from the spoilers it may not  even be  close to the same thing.  Both Lea and Barbara "left": a production that was an established  hit in the middle of a long run and that had recouped it's initial financial investment, plus they fulfilled their contractual obligations to their respective shows,  Hell Lea left 8 months after the show had recouped its investment , being on Broadway in the role for a whopping 18 months (not including pre Broadway stints) which made her exit par for the course.   

In contrast, It appears that Rachel may break her contract early  to exit a show that is struggling to make a profit. It's like comparing a pitcher  who leaves the game after being relieved in the later innings to one who just walks off the mound in the first inning for a better gig.

I keep seeing this speculation making the rounds, but why? Did I miss something other than RM saying the NYC setting wouldn't be the main location in S6, but still active?

I keep seeing this speculation making the rounds, but why? Did I miss something other than RM saying the NYC setting wouldn't be the main location in S6, but still active?

I think it is casue Ryan only mentioned Lea,  Darren and Chord in his recent interview and the  fact that  all of a sudden they are promoting Lea, Darren and Chord together.

Kurt – who has been starting to feel inadequate in the wake of everyone else’s recent successes and finding himself excluded from the all-girl performance – befriends former Broadway star Maggie Banks, who is currently living in a senior-citizens home for retired performers

Really?

They're cribbing from Dawson's Creek now>?

UGH, this show.

They're cribbing from Dawson's Creek now?

Chris Colfer would have been 8 years old when Dawson's Creek debuted; 12 or 13 when it went off the air.  Did kids that age watch that show?  I didn't, but I'm way way way outside the demo that show was going for.

Wacky hijinks at a nursing home is pretty much a staple of US television--Dawson's Creek certainly wasn't the first show to use it, and I'm sure Glee won't be the last.

Edited by Myrna123

Chris adores older people. He's noted for being more likely to hang out with the older crew members on set than anyone else, so much so, that Ryan Murphy deployed the Chris Colfer avatar on "Sing" (his lead character's TV show within "The New Normal") in exactly that way. Chris's grandmother is a huge influence on his life. And he wrote a meaty part for Polly Bergen in his indie film "Struck By Lightning." I highly, highly doubt Dawson's Creek had anything to do with it. He simply wrote what he enjoys.

So apparently pictures show Rachel singing for her TV audition in 518.  More "proof" Sing from the TNN or some form of it is going to make a come back? I also had this yuck thought that next season Rachel will fall in love with her co-star from the show.  I am not one who is against Rachel moving forward but I hope to heck someone/anyone stops meta that even hints at something like that.  

Also the pictures show Mercedes seeming to be really pushing someone to get Santana in on her recording deal.  Here is a thought.  Maybe she should wait until her first album shows some small sign of success before she starts trying to call in favors.  

Edited by camussie

I'm super glad that Chris is going to address the hundred thousandth time Kurt's talent is rejected in the very next episode, because I am sick unto death of this particular Glee trope, especially when its Blaine's mediocrity directly benefitting.

Wow so a Rachel goes from Broadway star to potential TV star, Blaine is being taken under the wing of a rich socialite to groom him to be a superstar, (I am so thrilled they might make fucking Shirley McClain an octogenarian Tina) and Mercedes and Santana may be going for big Label recording careers.

Who's missing here?

Not that I necessarily need Kurt to match these unrealistic success scenarios but I don't want him short changed as far as showing his career plans and efforts. If they SHOW onscreen Kurt working and getting a small off Broadway role in repertory company I would be happy.

Doubt it though.

Who's missing here?

Not that I necessarily need Kurt to match these unrealistic success scenarios but I don't want him short changed as far as showing his career plans and efforts. If they SHOW onscreen Kurt working and getting a small off Broadway role in repertory company I would be happy.

Honey, remember which show you're watching.

Glee hasn't been interested in much of anything Kurt's had to say, do, think or feel since season 3. He's Blaine's BF and Rachel's BFF, period, and the expected relocation to LA for S6 doesn't leave a helluva lot of room for a Broadway boy with a very specific voice and talent. If something works out for Kurt, if his talent is actually recognised, I'll drop with shock.

Honey, remember which show you're watching.

I do remember.

That's why my next sentence which was cut out of your quote was:

":Doubt it though".

Glee hasn't been interested in much of anything Kurt's had to say, do, think or feel since season 3. He's Blaine's BF and Rachel's BFF, period, and the expected relocation to LA for S6 doesn't leave a helluva lot of room for a Broadway boy with a very specific voice and talent. If something works out for Kurt, if his talent is actually recognised, I'll drop with shock.

Yes, that is the fundamental problem.  The writers don't have any more stories they wish to tell with Kurt.  His voice doesn't matter anymore and it's a damn shame.

Edited by caracas1914

To be fair, Glee has forgotten about any kind of independant storyline for all its characters.

Season one had a somewhat storyarc that included several character over multiple episodes, and that went to waste in S2. they focused on who's zooming who, forgot about multi-episodes SL, and the characters were all lost to this mess. I don't feel like any of them is seen as a single character with a personal journey, be it Kurt, Maercedes, Blaine or Santana. Rachel is the only one with an independent SL focused on FG (and this IMO sadly results from Finn/Cory's death) and even this is completely fucked up, what with her achieving BW and stardom without a mere difficulty. 

Longer description for the season finale (520)

“In the Season Five finale, Rachel meets a famous television writer (guest star Kristen Schaal), whose eccentric personality catches Rachel off guard. Meanwhile, Sam (Chord Overstreet) and Mercedes deal with the pressure of commitment as their careers take off, and the time has finally come for Blaine’s big showcase with June Dolloway (guest star Shirley MacLaine) at NYADA

My thoughts.  Of course Sam's career is taking off.  After all he has only been hitting the pavement (sort of) for about 4-5 months before this point, a year if you count the 7-8 months he apparently couch surfed after he got to NYC.  Why that is practically a life time of struggle in Glee's "and you get a career, and you get a career, and you get a career" whacked out world.  More and more Artie is becoming the only character on this show I give a hoot about.  At least his story is not one of instantaneous improbable success in a very very competitive field.  My guess?  One or the other one of them gets an opportunity in LA (probably Sam) and they have to decide to take it to the next level and do long distance or break up. I could see either.  Really though plenty of singers live in LA so I don't see why Mercedes can't move back there.  

As for Blaine since we were told in season 4 everybody who is anybody attends showcase to scout new talent I think this could be Blaine's ticket to LA.  He catches someone's eye.  

As for the eccentric writer Rachel meets I suppose I should be bowled over by the fact that they were "creative" enough to use a female avatar for RM.  

Edited by camussie
As for the eccentric writer Rachel meets I suppose I should be bowled over by the fact that they were "creative" enough to use a female avatar for RM.

Let me guess Rachel and the avatar will have dinner and discuss musicals and Babs all night  and the writer will base a new character on Rachel???

Of course Sam's career is taking off.  After all he has only been hitting the pavement (sort of) for about 4-5 months before this point, a year if you count the 7-8 months he apparently couch surfed after he got to NYC.  Why that is practically a life time of struggle in Glee's "and you get a career, and you get a career, and you get a career" whacked out world.

Glee reminds me of Gossip Girl in that respect - by the age of 20-21, the main characters were 1) singlehandedly running a multi-billion-dollar international corporation, 2) a #1 New York Times best-selling author, 3) the publisher of a major tabloid, 4) a major fashion designer. It's clumsy and cartoonish and unrealistic, but sells young viewers a fantasy of adult life.

Unfortunately for Glee, evidence from the ratings demographic suggests most of its viewers are already well, well into adulthood and are rejecting this puerile InstaSuperStardom in droves.

Edited by heyerchick

I genuinely enjoyed Glee, with all its flaws, for the first 3 seasons. I've enjoyed bits of the show - usually the New York bits - in S4 and S5. I've been helped along the way because I genuinely do forgive a great deal in terms of plotting, pacing, etc, because I love and identify with a character or characters. In my case, it's Kurt first and foremost, followed by Rachel and Santana.

Unfortunately, I hate where the show has taken Rachel: not only does she have this pig-headed attitude that she doesn't need to be able to dance, park and bark will do, that she doesn't need foundation or training or direction etc etc etc, she's actively rewarded for all of that. Instead of learning that, no, park and bark won't do, you have to work at what you struggle with because there are people who are just as talented as you doing exactly that, she gets the golden ticket to the winter showcase, the lead in Fanny her first time out auditioning, she's a smashing success, a critical darling, and in just a few weeks she's bored of putting in the work and the repetition involved in the reality of the dream she's had since she was a musically precocious toddler, she's so fucking fantastic she has a Hollywood bigwig writing a show just for her...Its bad fanfiction. Really, really *bad* fanfiction. I just can't find any way in which to relate to her. Not anymore.

My boy Kurt is basically fucked. Seriously. And not in the what-can-the-writers-do-to-torture-him-this-week way that he's always been fucked. I don't think Chris's relationship with Ryan Murphy has ever really recovered from the Big Summer of Lies and the unfortunate confluence of Ryan announcing Chris was off the show right before Chris was giving his Emmy nom interviews. Talk about an ambush. Speculation aside, the evidence is there on the screen that the show has completely lost interest in Kurt Hummel. His storylines have been few and far between, his point of view has been largely erased, and it took a skull fracture to get him his only solo of this entire season. The biggest 'win' Kurt gets is to play Peter Pan in a nursing home production, and he only got that because Chris wrote it. The spoilers for Kurt - that he's going to abandon NYADA and follow InstaSuperStar Blaine to LA - just breaks my heart. I've grown to flat-out despise Blaine, and seeing Kurt so miserable and diminished in his relationship, and knowing that the only thing Murphy has in mind for him is that gay statement wedding he's hellbent on, despite Klaine being fucking *awful* for Kurt is making the show that much harder to watch. They can't give him anything in New York; what the hell is he going to do with no college, no career plans, no nothing but being Blaine's BF in LA? Whose fauxhuahua is he going to be grooming in S6? Rachel, Mercedes or Santana? Or will he just be waiting tables?

Santana also seems to have largely disappeared from the narrative, other than that insane and utterly pointless understudy feud with Rachel. She's been reunited with Brittany, but then dragged back into the show without Brittany, and without any explanation whatsoever for Brittany's absence, she has no idea what to do with her life, and Glee has no idea what to do with her either. Chris's episode, in which she's Rachel's PR, is like her 10th abortive career outing.

And then we have the promise of an S6 which is "heavy" on Darren, average singer, average-to-piss-poor actor, and "heavy" on Chord, literally the worst actor and dancer on the show, and at the bottom end for singing. Who in their right fucking mind benches Chris and Naya, and even perpetual also-ran Kevin, for that precious milquetoast pair? Blaine, with his toxic personality and endless, Rachel-rivaling easy wins. He felt fat for five minutes but never mind, rich socialite royalty will be right along to make him another InstaSuperStar! I would quite like Blaine and Sam to die in a fire.

I always enjoyed Kurtcedes, but it seems clear that Mercedes is tethered to Sam's side and there will be no Kurtcedes. And Amber, bless her, is not the actress to raise Chord's flatlined game. Rather, he drags her down.

My plus column is looking increasingly anorexic, especially when the spoilers we have for this season and the expected relocation/premise for next season, mean nothing good for Kurt. I find it hard to believe that the flawed, amazing kid who stole my heart in the pilot is only worth one half of a televised political statement these days to the man who created the role specifically for Chris. I don't expect Kurt to have it easy, but I do expect the writers to actually give a fuck. It's increasingly clear that they don't, and that they won't, and I don't know if my love for and identification with Kurt is enough to keep me watching, especially not when his ending is going to be, in effect, the guy who holds Blaine's purse on the red carpet. 

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 3

evidence from the ratings demographic suggests most of its viewers are already well, well into adulthood

If that's the case, RIB really shouldn't be writing Afterschool Specials. They're even dumber than I thought.

And then we have the promise of an S6 which is "heavy" on Darren, average singer, average-to-piss-poor actor, and "heavy" on Chord, literally the worst actor and dancer on the show, and at the bottom end for singing. Who in their right fucking mind benches Chris and Naya, and even perpetual also-ran Kevin, for that precious milquetoast pair?

A show runner Ryan Murphy who makes decisions with his dick.  

He gives Chord Overstreet more acting scenes than Chris Colfer, shows you RM's priority.

Edited by caracas1914

Well here is the episode description for 520

"A quirky Hollywood screenwriter begins to work on ideas for a series based on Rachel’s life, but her hip vision for the script leaves Rachel and the gang feeling nonplussed. Rachel and the gang are dismayed when all - except Brittany - are confused by what they read, prompting Rachel to try and influence some rewrites that more accurately depict who she is. On the verge of spending several months apart, Mercedes and Sam make a decision about their relationship. As Blaine prepares to perform in his showcase, he is faced with a tough decision."

My thoughts?  Oh good lord.  How many layers of meta are they going to try to do here.  It looks like Sam/Mercedes will either break up or elope.  Not sure what happens with Kurt/Blaine and I don't really care.