Type keyword(s) to search

Press Conference: The Law & Order Media Thread!

• Start Topic

This is probably known by now, but Sam Waterston is in the new Netflix (limited?) series, Grace and Frankie, with Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Martin Sheen. Funnily enough, his character is again a lawyer...who falls in love with Martin Sheen's character, and they end their marriages to their wives to be together.

• Love 1

This is probably known by now, but Sam Waterston is in the new Netflix (limited?) series, Grace and Frankie, with Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Martin Sheen. Funnily enough, his character is again a lawyer...who falls in love with Martin Sheen's character, and they end their marriages to their wives to be together.

Starting this Monday (June 22), WGNAmerica will be airing L&O (the Mothership) from 9AM-10AM Eastern/8AM-9AM Central, on Mondays-Thursdays. Walker Texas Ranger will air on Fridays in the 9AM-1PM Eastern 4-hour block where WGNAmerica has recently been running eps of the Mothership (WTR will also air from 10AM-1PM Eastern, Mondays-Thursdays).

Grace and Frankie isn't a limited series on Netflix. It's been renewed for a second season, but I'm not sure that's going to be available on Netflix until sometime in 2016.

Dick Wolf's latest sound byte about the proposed limited revival series.

I agree most have gone on to other successful projects. The trouble is, the former leads, not to be ageist or mean, aren't so young anymore, and this can't wait forever. So I'm not sure when or how this would work.

And, me only, I'd still leave this alone. It's revival-crazy now, and based on past reboots of shows I have seen, they never live up to the original. But that's me, as I said.

From that listing:

Rey Curtis is one of the more fondly remembered characters in the show's history

As a comment on the number two ranked season.  I'm not sure exactly which fans they talked to about Curtis--I've never talked to anyone who liked his character all that much.

• Love 1

From that listing:

As a comment on the number two ranked season.  I'm not sure exactly which fans they talked to about Curtis--I've never talked to anyone who liked his character all that much.

I liked Curtis. He wasn't my favorite detective but I liked him fine. I never understood all of the criticism. 

Dick Wolf's latest sound byte about the proposed limited revival series.

The former leads, not to be ageist or mean, aren't so young anymore, and this can't wait forever. So I'm not sure when or how this would work.

If they reboot Law & Order, I would like to see new characters with a few veteran regulars + lots of recurring characters/cameos from the entire franchise (even L&O: UK)—but using the mothership formula. So Alex Eames (Kathryn Erbe) leading the squad and DA Michael Cutter (Linus Roache). Drs. George Huang (DB Wong), Emil Scoda (JK Simmons), and Elizabeth Olivet (Carolyn McCormick) as consultants. Former ADAs as defense attorneys or judges, and former detectives contacted about past cases.

Could also bring back a detective for the "Lennie Briscoe" role and/or someone for Executive ADA. But the formula is purpose-built for constant turnover.

Edited by editorgrrl

If they reboot Law & Order, I would like to see new characters with a few veteran regulars + lots of recurring characters/cameos from the entire franchise (even L&O: UK)—but using the mothership formula. So Alex Eames (Kathryn Erbe) leading the squad and DA Michael Cutter (Linus Roache). Drs. George Huang (DB Wong), Emil Scoda (JK Simmons), and Elizabeth Olivet (Carolyn McCormick) as consultants. Former ADAs as defense attorneys or judges, and former detectives contacted about past cases.

Could also bring back a detective for the "Lennie Briscoe" role and/or someone for Executive ADA. But the formula is purpose-built for constant turnover.

Do you mean they could actually have someone else play Lennie? I mean, I know they can't get Jerry Orbach to play him because he died long ago from Cancer (I think Prostate). But they also, later on, killed Lennie off offscreen; apparently also of Cancer. Lt. Van Buren & Rey talk about it when Rey returns to NYC to bury his wife, Debra, who's died from MS, & they meet up after the funeral--which is while Van Buren is also in the middle of her own bout with Cancer.

I guess I don't get how whatever you're trying to say about Lennie is gonna work, in that case. Sorry.

I don't think editorgrrl literally meant recast Lennie, but put in an older/experienced detective on the force.

Yes, I'm sorry I was unclear. If the reboot has an older detective, he (or she, but probably he) could be a veteran character. But the series ended five years ago with two younger detectives.

Also, as you (WendyCR72) said upthread, I'm not sure how I feel about the live, interactive reality spinoff on NBC, Law & Order: You the Jury: http://www.avclub.com/article/nbc-gives-series-order-law-order-you-jury-legal-sy-225478

Edited by editorgrrl

I know how I feel--terrified.  REAL cases?  Even if they are civil and not criminal, civil cases can have major impact.  It's probably like Judge Judy in that the people involved have to agree to be bound by the results, but still...  I can't believe this is real.

• Love 1

JK Simmons, as I once said, also voices the yellow M&M, which I think is just too cool!

He's been voicing Yellow for over 20 years too. I can't believe it's been that long, but that's what he said in the article I linked above. It'd be perfect, for me, if Yellow were the Milk Chocolate/Plain M&M instead of the Peanut. Yellow's my favorite color & Milk Chocolate/Plain 1 of my favorite M&M variations.

Since we don't have a "cast in other roles thread" I'm putting this here:

SQUEEEEE!!! I accidentally found the THiS movie channel, which airs an old show that ran for two seasons, called Dead Man's Gun, set in the American West. Well, in its first season was an episode about a bounty hunter played by Ben Stone Michael Moriarty! This was aired in 1997, four years after he left this show.  The only other thing I remember seeing him in post-Law & Order was some mini series, where he played Farrah Faucett's husband? It was a very small role. And I can't remember the title; but it was also set in the American West.  He wasn't really a bad guy, and his character John Pike was right when he told the Sherriff-that he worked within the law-going after men who were criminals and had a bounty on them. It was interesting to see him be someone NOT Ben Stone.

Multiple sources have stated today that JK Simmons *will* be a presenter at this year's Academy Awards. That's pretty much to be expected though, unless he's filming something on location outside of LA & there's no way he can get back for the ceremony, since it's been "tradition" for a number of years now that the 4 acting winners from the previous year's ceremony return the following year & present the award to the opposite gender winner in their category (i.e. the previous year's Best Actor presents to the new Best Actress, etc.). So we should see JK this year when they present the Best Supporting Actress Oscar (more & more likely to Alicia Vikander for The Danish Girl, based on the results of the major Supporting Actress awards given out so far this awards season).

It's a horror/comedy. Cheaply made, but some good laughs. Sorvino is particularly good as a loudmouth commando-type guy. It's a trifle, but especially interesting to Mothership fans and worth seeking out. I know it's on DVD because I have it!

So not interested unless they show me coverage of cases that Vincent Bugliosi tried when he was a prosecutor. Just because. And I don't mean get an actor to play him. I want to see Vince.

Well, unless people want to look at Zombie Vince Bugliosi, that couldn't happen, anyway, since he died last June! As for me, it depends who is cast and how good the writing is; I'll give it a chance.

Seems as if the upcoming Chicago Justice should be subtitled Law & Order: Chicago. First it was reported that Lorraine Toussaint's Shambala Green will be popping up there, then reported that the lead character, Peter Stone, is Ben Stone's son, then Richard Brooks' Paul Robinette was announced as popping into the series. Now TV Line says Danielle Melnick (last seen on CI in its final episode) will also be involved in a 3-way Chicago show crossover as Danielle Melnick. This airs on March 1st.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I may have to watch Chicago Justice. I adore Danielle Melnick!

I recommend "... These Are Their Stories: The Law & Order Podcast". Two people host and have a celebrity guest on, though I don't think they've had an actor who appeared on the show. The closest they got was Jon Cryer, whose dad played a judge on an episode. They all get together and talk about a particular episode. Then they give a brief summary of the real life story that inspired it. It covers most of the L & O verse (they don't cover L & O Los Angeles, or the spinoff with Bebe Neuwirth). It's new-ish, so there haven't been that many episodes. I look forward to it every week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I graduated high school the year Law & Order premiered. Sigh. Damn, I'm old!  :-P

I was twice your age that year.
I remember visiting my folks during the last season. My dad was emphatic about not missing the opening scenes because the rest of the episode wouldn't mean as much without having seen them. He was 84.
Feel better/younger now?

Edited by shapeshifter
Math
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I was twice your age that year.
I remember visiting my folks during the last season. My dad was emphatic about not missing the opening scenes because the rest of the episode wouldn't mean as much without having seen them. He was 84.
Feel better/younger now?

It helps.  :-) For what it's worth, your dad sounded like a true L&O aficionado himself!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

A Law & Order reference in the NY Times letters to the editor. While ordinarily that probably wouldn't be enough to merit posting here this is a bit of a special case. (Second letter)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/opinion/judicial-nominee.html

This had me ?????????

"For while the television series “Law and Order” has been off the air for several years, it is in almost constant syndicated rerun.

Had Mr. Petersen watched even a few episodes, he almost certainly would have known what a motion “in limine” is, and what the various abstention doctrines are. Shame on Mr. Petersen for not having attended the universal law school of the airwaves that was “Law and Order.”"

And the fact that it was someone who wrote for the show, was just icing on the cake for me.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Looks like TNT crunched even more years out of their L&O syndication deal. They just rotated to the start again instead of McCoy's introduction it was Detective Green's

edit my mistake they seem to be running out of order and jumping around

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

WE TV, in case nobody’s noticed it, has started running ads during their binge-athons (if not at other times) saying they now have the entire (mothership) series on their channel.

They don’t quite yet though; at least they aren’t the only channel airing it (which their statement could also imply, in my opinion). It’s still on ION’s schedule (eps from at least the last couple of seasons) from 11AM Eastern today until 3AM Eastern tomorrow (Talk about a binge-athon!), & then from 1-3AM Eastern Saturday night/Sunday morning. And it’s still listed on SundanceTV (I’m not sure what season, or seasons, they’re airing). 

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct some info.
  • Love 1