Type keyword(s) to search

Kids and Work

• Start Topic

Don't you think that if parents find their children in school with Will and Zoey that it will be discussed at the dinner table that they used to be on TV?

I don't think that the TLC children will ever escape the stigma of being public figures.

Honestly, if you ask me, as a parent that has been a part of the school system in PTA and clubs and band and such, no.  I don't think there are enough people that are even watching at the moment to even care what went on in the early decades.  

With the amount of people in America, and the amount of people watching TLC on TLC, no, I don't think it will be a topic of conversation.  Maybe, just maybe in their home town, but not all over the world.  No.

If I said to you how I was on the Checkers and Pogo show back in 68, would that mean anything to you?  Hypothetical, yes, but still ... my point.  I pretty much embarrassed myself on that show.  ::giggle::

• Love 2

OK, Biz - you just opened up a HUGE can of "what the fuck is Checkers and POGO?".  I REFUSE to Bing it (because, I lurve and respect you too much!)  ::giggle::

And another can of "who the hell cares WHAT we did in the 60s or 70s".  Ancient history.  I have a bazillion embarrassing stories that nobody cares about; I'd imagine most of us do.  People these days think everybody's watching everything we do, and in some ways that is true, but in a general sense, they really don't give a shit because we are only the center of our own Universe of Shame!  In everyone else's Universe, we are but a fleeting BLIP, or NONEXISTENT at best.

• Love 1

The internet is so freaking huge, that someone would have to have a personal vendetta against these two kids for them to spend the time to even find something remotely linking them to this time frame.

Well, we're mostly adults here.

Its entirely possible for teenage personal vendettas to get out of hand. If you're pissed with Will and you're in high school with Will, you can do stuff with the ammunition shown on the show. I mean, for example, we're not allowed to discuss the diaper situation concerning Will. (And I am only raising it for this discussion) If you're a 16 year old kid pissed that Will did something to piss you off, do you think that 16 year old kid isn't going to find Will wearing a diaper at five to be something really hilarious to bring up to rub in Will's face? I mean, really folks, empathy is learned, its not instinctive, and kids are mean. I recall one unfortunate girl who in sixth grade got her first period in shall we say, a public way... you wanna guess what we called her when we wanted to get under her skin? That's right, some variation of "Red" or "Carrie" or "Period Girl!"

I very much doubt Will and Zoey going into an adult work place would ever be teased about their childhood stardom.... but this show has the capacity to make their tween and teen years miserable

• Love 1

Don't you think that if parents find their children in school with Will and Zoey that it will be discussed at the dinner table that they used to be on TV?

I don't think that the TLC children will ever escape the stigma of being public figures.

I'm not convinced being a public figure is a stigma. Many children through the years have been public figures without harm. Consider the children of the Presidents through the last 60 years. Most of them have chosen to live very private lives. Some even occasionally write a book. But they seem fine. If people "dog" Amy Carter or Luci Johnson or Tricia Nixon, I haven't heard it. But if they did, they seem unharmed. Some movie/tv star kids have had problems (though most of those have been the family "purse") others are as fine as anybody. Think Ron Howard and Shirley Temple. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 3

They still apparently are not capable of doing a talking head moment and I wonder why. They can put sentences together.

Their speech has come a long way, but neither Will nor Zoe is very conversational, if that makes any sense. Will just sort of blurts out random phrases and Zoe only talks if the subject matter is interesting to her. With all the repeated takes you have to do with TH's, the kids would probably lose interest quickly.

In comparison, the Duggars have their very young children do interviews and the kids always look miserable and cranky.

• Love 1

I guess that is true, their attention span is very limited it seems. It just seems there are so many opportunites to try a talking head take, like asking Zoey what the favorite part of her tea party was, etc Will and the fire truck ride, they just don't do Ths for some reason.

• Love 1