Type keyword(s) to search

The Winds Of Winter: Book 6 Will Arrive...Someday

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I was just coming here to post that.

So, the question is whether Martin's really actually close to being done, or whether "summer of 2020" will become another deadline that messes with his head.

He said back in April in a red carpet interview that the writing was going well. He did not need to volunteer this sort of deadline knowing how upset his readers will be if he doesn't deliver. Next summer will be 9 years since ADwD was published.  

So fingers crossed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/05/19/game-of-thrones-finale-one-year-later-new-books-prequel-series-hbo/5212556002/

So... I imagine he's sitting at home.  The TV show productions/development/whatever are probably on hold because of COVID-19.  He says he doesn't want to promise because "people get mad" when he doesn't follow through.  You think?

Wouldn't NOW be a good time to finish this book?  If he has no interest in doing so, then just let someone else write them.  It's inconceivable to me that I started reading this series in the late 90s and now it is almost TWENTY FIVE YEARS later and it's still not done.  I can't believe it's been almost TEN YEARS since Book 5 was published.

• Love 4
On 5/19/2020 at 10:42 AM, blackwing said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/05/19/game-of-thrones-finale-one-year-later-new-books-prequel-series-hbo/5212556002/

So... I imagine he's sitting at home.  The TV show productions/development/whatever are probably on hold because of COVID-19.  He says he doesn't want to promise because "people get mad" when he doesn't follow through.  You think?

Wouldn't NOW be a good time to finish this book?  If he has no interest in doing so, then just let someone else write them.  It's inconceivable to me that I started reading this series in the late 90s and now it is almost TWENTY FIVE YEARS later and it's still not done.  I can't believe it's been almost TEN YEARS since Book 5 was published.

The problem with that article is that there is not a single quote or piece of information that is current.  Martin's quotes are from 2018, even the "news" about the Targ prequel is from pre-COVID.  So it's truly clickbait.  Martin should be able to focus now, since all those other distractions he mentions are on hold, and there's no time like the present to get something done and take one's mind off the real world events.  But I doubt he's going to get much work done.  In 2018, TWO YEARS AGO, he made the comment about not wanting to commit to a date.  And he's changed his mind on that point not at all.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/george-r-r-martin-writing-193100679.html

Lol another interview where he says a whole lot of nothing. 

Does anyone really care anymore?

Yeah... he "expects" the book to be finished in 2021.  By that point it would have been 10 years since the last book.  I believe he originally "expected" it was going to be finished in 2014 or 2015.  I'm not holding my breath.  And I tend to agree... nobody cares anymore because nobody believes him.

• Love 5

I doubt Winds of Winter will ever be released while George is alive. At most, we might get a posthumous release edited together from his drafts.

I genuinely don't think he has any idea how to get this story from the second act into the third and that's why he spent two books basically doing nothing to advance the story forward. He never set up the White Walkers properly for any morally ambiguous ending and with them looming, what he REALLY wants to write, a perpetual civil War in Westeros and a second Dance of the Dragons will never get off the ground, which is why the books have stalled at the exact spot where he can't avoid the next big advance.

Edited by nikma
  • Love 4

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/wild-cards-george-rr-martin-tv-show-peacock/?fbclid=IwAR1YPRnO3FnSjjHu0Bir7bSa9MWHEV1dK4pxY6XoKypQtbBKneGdlD3DRD4

I just read that Martin is serving as Executive Producer on the TV adaptation of his "Wild Cards" books.  Yep.  Book 6 ain't never going to be completed, despite his continual assertions that he's "working on it" and that it's "almost done".  Now he's got this "Wild Cards" show in addition to the GOT prequel.

I see that the last time I popped into this thread was June of 2020, and I am fully confident that there has been absolutely no change in the status of Book 6.

• Love 4

so according to his blog, as of august, 2022, he's still writing WoW and teasing us that it will someday be finished.  not holding my breath.  I did watch the first 2 episodes of his HotD and well, not impressed.  i just don't care that much about the Targs 170 years ago.

i certainly would like to know the 'real' ending of GoT/song of fire and ice, because the story was so intricate before and the show ending was such.....not.

well, i'll check his blog again in another 4-5 months.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

https://ew.com/books/george-r-r-martin-says-he-is-three-quarters-of-the-way-done-with-the-winds-of-winter/

Latest claim by GRRM is that he's 75% done with the book.  It's taken 11 years to write 75%, at this point, it will be at least another 5 years before this book is released.

From my previous comments I see that back in 2020 he claimed the book would be released in 2021.  Now it seems we have more years to wait.

And oh isn't he so clever by saying that when he gets the book done, people will be asking "Where is Book 7".  Well, YEAH.  We've been waiting over 11 years for this book.  He's too distracted by all of his money making ventures and projects to care that readers of his books are the ones that gave him all those TV opportunities in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/26/2022 at 3:28 PM, blackwing said:

https://ew.com/books/george-r-r-martin-says-he-is-three-quarters-of-the-way-done-with-the-winds-of-winter/

Latest claim by GRRM is that he's 75% done with the book.  It's taken 11 years to write 75%, at this point, it will be at least another 5 years before this book is released.

From my previous comments I see that back in 2020 he claimed the book would be released in 2021.  Now it seems we have more years to wait.

And oh isn't he so clever by saying that when he gets the book done, people will be asking "Where is Book 7".  Well, YEAH.  We've been waiting over 11 years for this book.  He's too distracted by all of his money making ventures and projects to care that readers of his books are the ones that gave him all those TV opportunities in the first place

Yeah I have to wonder if he would ever finish the last book before either he dies or I do , assuming we get WOW before then too.  I hope he at least leaves good notes

• Like 1

Apparently a couple of days ago he said he has 500 pages left.

On 10/30/2022 at 10:26 PM, Hanahope said:

Yeah I have to wonder if he would ever finish the last book before either he dies or I do , assuming we get WOW before then too.  I hope he at least leaves good notes

This is what ChatGPT is for.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, Hanahope said:

assuming it comes out soon, i'll have to decide whether to read it now, or wait another 10 years when a Dream of Spring comes out.

I'm thinking you will have at least 5 more years of waiting for "The Winds of Winter", and at this point, "A Dream of Spring" is a pipedream.  He isn't going to live long enough to be able to spend another 15 years writing that one.

https://ew.com/tv/george-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-projects-shelved-hbo-max-changes/

I posted this in the media thread as well, but as it relates to the book, the article says the book is "highly anticipated" but doesn't address it at all other than this throwaway line.

Of course it then goes on to list the multitudes of TV projects that may or may not have been put on hold.

The amount of planned or discussed shows is staggering.  It's very evident that Martin is just a TV producer at this point.  If many of these projects have been shelved, how about he just finish writing the damn book?

Total disservice to the readers of the books, without whom he never would have been able to amass his TV empire.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

It wouldn't be so bad if he was just being a producer on the new show. "Producer" can mean almost anything from vanity title to involved in every detail. But he's writing the show.

I've already accepted we're not going to see ADoS or the real final book that he's been insisting won't be necessary but his wife says will be (and given his established track record of being really bad at predicting how many pages he needs to tell his story - the Red Wedding was originally supposed to take place two-thirds of the way through AGoT! - I'm going with his wife's assessment). But can we at least get WoW? Sigh.

• Like 2

GRRM has now posted about this on his blog, and doesn't this paragraph just induce such a sense of déjà vu?

If THE HEDGE KNIGHT turns out as well as we hope it will, our hope would be to go on and adapt THE SWORN SWORD and THE MYSTERY KNIGHT as well.  That will take a few years.   Then comes the hard part.   Before we reach the end of the published stories, I will need to find time to write all the other Dunk & Egg novellas that I have planned.   There are… gulp… more of them than I had once thought.   There’s “The Village Hero” and the Winterfell story, the one with the She-Wolves, and maybe I need to write that Dornish adventure too to slip in between “The Hedge Knight” and “The Sworn Sword,” and after that there are… ah… more.   I just need to finish THE WINDS OF WINTER, and then do either A DREAM OF SPRING or volume two of FIRE & BLOOD, and slip in a new Dunk & Egg between each of those in my copious spare time… and that will keep me ahead of Ira and his merry crew… for a few more years.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/14/2023 at 8:58 AM, Black Knight said:

GRRM has now posted about this on his blog, and doesn't this paragraph just induce such a sense of déjà vu?

Wow.  How many more years does he expect to live?  It’s been 12 years since the fifth book.  He thinks he can write The Winds of Winter, all of the new Dunk and Egg stories, and either A Dream of Spring or Fire and Blood book 2, all before he dies?  He’s delusional.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

At this point, I wouldn't read the books if they came out, and I think many people feel that way.  Now that the series has an ending and people have grown tired of waiting for the books, there is no point in trying for him, I don't think.  

And to be honest, after the first book, which I did enjoy, I found his writing to be cumbersome, so the abbreviated version of events on the show were enough for me. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I would still read WoW, and any remaining volumes, if they ever appeared. My closest fellow reader feels the same way. But we came to the books well before the TV show came along, and while we both liked the TV show quite a lot until the final episodes, we still want to see how it plays out in the books. Even if Bran the Boring is king in the books too, it's sure to have been done better than on the show.

But I'm sure there are people who are no longer interested in reading. It would be interesting to know if there's a split there between people who were fans of the books before the TV show was ever even dreamed of and people who came to the books after they started watching the show, or if it's pretty much the same percentage of both groups swearing future books off.

I believe Fire & Blood Part I did well enough sales-wise to show that even with people falling off, there's still enough interested readers remaining. And of course the HotD show has been quite successful. If WoW ever gets released, I expect it will be a bestseller.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I’m still interested in reading the remaining books in the main series (no spin-offs like Dunk and Egg) because the TV show ended so poorly. It’s not that the endings for each character was bad on its own necessarily (although I don’t think there’s a world in which Arya killing the Night King makes sense or brings any satisfaction), it’s that none of the endings made sense given the character arcs on the show. Also, there are several characters that I find vastly more interesting in books (Jon Snow being a prime example) so I’d like to see how they get to their destinations since they’re such different characters. For what it’s worth, I didn’t start reading the books until just before the second season of the show aired but they had been on my “to read” list since around the publication of the third book so I probably would have ended up reading them at some point anyway. 

• Like 4

I've thought for a long time that GRRM just doesn't have enough interest in the main series of ASOIAF and would just prefer to have the series done and behind him. His interest is clearly split between all his world building projects.

I'm still interested in his version of the ending we got in the show, but I won't buy any of his side projects until he finishes the main series. Which means I'll probably never read them!

• Like 4

https://ew.com/tv/george-r-r-martin-says-hbo-deal-is-suspended-winds-of-winter-update/

The latest from his highness.  Writers strike has apparently put all of his TV projects on hold.  Claims he has been working on The Winds of Winter "every day" although like a complete asshole he says "although probably not as fast as YOU would like".  

I mean, yeah?  It's been 12 years since the last book and he has found every excuse to not finish TWOW.   We had the COVID pandemic during which in the early stages, many people stayed home and didn't go anywhere.  Now we have a writers strike where most TV and movie projects are suspended.  Now would be the perfect time to concentrate on finishing the book, if he ever wants to do so.

• Like 7