Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Wedding Prep and Pies

We have flown in from out of state to weddings and have always been invited to the rehearsal dinner, usually at the hotel that the out of town guests are staying at. Very thoughtful. Although the rehearsal dinners are reception like in nature I thinks it's a wise choice. Usually your out of town guests are guests you want to spend more time with since you haven't seen them in agent. If you get the longer conversations in during the rehearsal dinner it allows the wedding more time to greet and enjoy their wedding! As far as the Duggers how can you even greet everyone at a huge rehearsal dinner let alone have meaningful conversations?

• Love 1

But even if one invited the same amount of people to a rehearsal dinner & the wedding reception, the way the Duggars have such a "light" wedding reception (cake & punch type), it does seem out of balance that the rehearsal dinner would be more substantial (a sit down dinner, even if it is made by volunteers).

Exactly! In the case of Jill's wedding, the Dillards gave the rehearsal & provided a meal to guests. The Duggars only provided dessert the following day. And not even a seat at which to eat it! Very classy and hospitable...

• Love 1

My wedding reception for 150 guests plus wedding party was of the cake, petit fours, coffee & punch variety held at the church (I paid for all the wedding expenses myself with the exception of my dress) and it was elegant and simple. Whereas the rehearsal dinner was planned and paid for by my out of state in-laws at an upscale downtown executive dining club for the wedding party, my husband's out of state family members and friends, along with a few out of town friends of mine. No one in my family attended, although they were invited. There were about 40 of us. It was a very nice way to visit with my husband's family, wedding party and friends in an unrushed setting enjoying a very nice time together.

Did anyone else notice that when the boys were cooking, instead of making mashed potatoes from scratch they had bags of frozen ore-ida mashed potatoes.  WTH?  I know this family keeps Ore-Ida tater tots in business, but come on now!  Is this how they make mashed potatoes?  Sorry, I did not realize that they made  frozen mashed potatoes in a bag.  Seems so wasteful for such a large family.  Not sure why this bothers me- but for a family that pretends to be so frugal, they sure do waste a lot. 

Another thing about that cooking fiasco.  Notice them get three very large steaks out of the freezer and dump them in the pan.  Either I need glasses or that pan of three steaks was changed out for ground beef.  THere is no way you can chop steaks like that. I just think it's really crazy that so much is staged and not for real.

I know someone mentioned this already, but I really wanted to slap MEchelle when the kids were so unsafe with a knife and she just ignores it- never stopping to teach them the proper safe way to chop food.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3

..there is such a thing as frozen mashed potatoes? ...why? It just seems like such an impractical and space consuming thing to freeze; wouldn't it just be easier to use instant mash if making the real stuff is too much of a chore?

I think that the main cause and problem of the Duggar Diet is that Michelle and Boob married very very young. Mullet was the spoilt youngest child who never had to take responsibility or do chores and probably never had to learn how to cook. Her family moved away around the same time she got married at seventeen so no help there (I know I didn't know how to cook more than the basics at that age, spoilt only child here!). And Boob obviously couldn't learn how to cook because that's wimmins work. They were both very busy trying to make a living in the first years of their marriage and once the never ending string of new blessings came along there was no time for Michelle to learn. Add to that (and excuse my prejudices here, I know they don't apply to all Americans) there seems to be quite a lot of confusion and ignorance when it comes to food and nutrition among a large part of the US population.

At this point in time I don't think there are any excuses, but I can see how poverty and lack of knowledge combined with disinterest in cooking could've contributed to the horrible food and nutrition in the Duggar past. From what the married daughters post on social media, at least they seem more health conscious these days. Michelle however is probably still stuck in her old habits (such as heating those protein-rich instant noodles in a crock-pot), especially since she hasn't had to cook much of anything once the j'slaves got old enough to take on that jurisdiction.

• Love 4

How many potatoes would one have to boil to feed a family of 20+? Though I guess that's a moot point because they're going to be making a lot of whatever they choose to serve anyway.

When I make instant mashed potatoes it's because I didn't start boiling the potatoes early enough, not because I don't know how to make mashed potatoes. But then again it's not like Michelle (ha!) or whoever does the cooking that day is short on time because they're making dinner after they got home for work. (I know that that's the reason I grew up on instant mashed potatoes - because my mom would get home from work and start dinner and she wanted us to eat before it was our bedtime. ;) )

But frozen mashed potatoes? That seems ... really stupid.

• Love 1

I would love for Gordin Ramsey to visit the Duggars. These people eat so unhealthy. They have the space to grow a garden but are too lazy to do it. They have money to eat healthy but won't do it. I'm surprised none of them have high blood pressure.

I think Jamie Oliver would be light years better than Gordon Ramsay (aside from the blistering potty mouth of the latter). Jamie is all about proper nutrition for kids. Of course, like every other Duggar attempt at gardening, anything that Jamie set up would go to seed five minutes after he left. 

• Love 2

I don't think the Duggar kids need another job at home to tend to...those kids have enough work inside and outside of that house to take care of for their parents..You know Michelle and Jim Bob would NOT get one finger dirty making the garden...it would be all the kids' work. Also, they aren't home consistently enough to tend TO IT..a garden is a commitment of time and the Duggar family comes and goes as they please. That garden wouldn't last a month.

• Love 1

Eh, I give them a pass on the potatoes. And frozen mashed potatoes probably have less preservatives than freeze dried potato flakes (at least it sounds healthier) and it's one less step and pan for the boys who are preparing it. I've never had frozen mashed potatoes, but then I would never buy instant.

They could boil potatoes in about the same time it takes to defrost frozen mashed potatoes. Darknight-I'll have to watch this episode again to notice the steaks morphing into ground beef. They probably had to switch to ground beef after trying to cook frozen steaks without success. (Burned on outside, frozen solid in middle) As we know, no one plans ahead in this family, so thawing frozen steaks would be a novelty to them. Didn't one of the boys say he was going for the cheese steak factor in his pie for Ben? Since steaks are pricey for their size family, who gets to eat them? Only King Boob?

• Love 1
I know someone mentioned this already, but I really wanted to slap MEchelle when the kids were so unsafe with a knife and she just ignores it- never stopping to teach them the proper safe way to chop food.  

Knife skills aren't Michelle's jurisdiction.

• Love 2

I would love for Gordin Ramsey to visit the Duggars. These people eat so unhealthy. They have the space to grow a garden but are too lazy to do it. They have money to eat healthy but won't do it. I'm surprised none of them have high blood pressure.

NIKE! NIKE! MOTHER OF NIKE!

somehow I see MEchelle arguing with chef Ramsey while Jim Boob yuks it up.

• Love 2
I actually had a different reaction to Jessa and the flowers. I think Jessa knows what she wants, but is afraid to say so in front of her family for fear the will belittle it or use her own choices against her. So she's learned to act bored or pretend she doesn't care the way you do around bullies or "mean girls" when you're in middle school. That way she keeps what she wants to herself until she can get some support (probably she finds that in Ben, and that may be one of the biggest things she loves about him) and then can communicate what she wants.

Reminds me of when my aunt was getting married 45 years ago. My grandmother made all arrangements except the flowers. My aunt chose Gladiolas. When she told my grandmother she fell down the mortified. She imagined long stems of Gladiolas still attached. not, separated and arranged. 

But, I can't imagine Jessa being embarassed about much. She already FU'ed the typical cake, punch & mints that are a wedding staple. She doesn't care about the wedding, just the life after.

They looked like steaks to me, but they coudl've been frozen slabs of ground beef. Not like they'd bother to defrost meat before it hits the pan (with Michelle standing right here!).

I think they made 3 "pies", even though we only saw 2.

Chicken Pot Pie

Shepherds Pie w/ground beef

Philly Steak Pie

Philly steak pie? As a native south philly person....no. Just.....no. That's sacrilege....A good roll makes the cheesesteak....

• Love 4

How many potatoes would one have to boil to feed a family of 20+? Though I guess that's a moot point because they're going to be making a lot of whatever they choose to serve anyway.

When I make instant mashed potatoes it's because I didn't start boiling the potatoes early enough, not because I don't know how to make mashed potatoes. But then again it's not like Michelle (ha!) or whoever does the cooking that day is short on time because they're making dinner after they got home for work. (I know that that's the reason I grew up on instant mashed potatoes - because my mom would get home from work and start dinner and she wanted us to eat before it was our bedtime. ;) )

But frozen mashed potatoes? That seems ... really stupid.

Count me among those who had no idea FROZEN mashed potatoes even existed. I've heard of the boxed kind, but never frozen. Good grief. I can't imagine anything that's easier than mashed potatoes. I live alone and when I want them, I place 8-10 new baby potatoes - really small ones - in a microwave-safe bowl, poke each with a fork or paring knife a few times, add a tablespoon of water and, a few peeled whole shallots, cover and nuke for about 10 minutes. When they come out, they're perfectly tender.  I add a pat or two of butter and squish well with a wooden spoon. I call them "rustic mashed potatoes." PS - I never peel the baby taters. Their skins are thinner than paper and bonus - you're getting more nutrients since the majority of a potato's vitamins are in the skin. 

• Love 7

They'd need at least 30 good sized potatoes and the peeling would take awhile.  They should teach all the middle boys how to peel potatoes and then it wouldn't take very long.  It's likely the peeling holding them back.  Frozen mashed potatoes have been out awhile.  They come in little cubes so you can make as much as you want.  I've never used them, but they do shave some time off the process.

I will admit to have used the frozen mashed potato's before. You just steam them and add butter and milk. But I live alone and sometime it is quicker to use them.

Even though you hear the Duggar's say "Buy used save the difference"... they seem to waste a lot of money on things.

• Love 2

I will admit, I despise peeling potatoes with a passion, so I never do that. The idea of making enough mashed potatoes to feed a Duggar sized family is horrifying to me, let alone a rehearsal sized dinner.

On the other hand, frozen mashed potatoes are an abomination, saith GEML.

• Love 3

You'd think they'd use peeling potatoes as a training/discipline thing like in the army. When my dad was still in the army, he said it was always the troublemakers who got made to do all the peeling.

And count me in as someone who finds the idea of frozen mashed potatoes gross. I don't even like the idea of instant ones. I make these awesome cheesy garlic mashed potatoes, and couldn't imagine not using actual fresh potatoes for them.

• Love 2

I agree with the suggestion of the middle boys peeling potatoes, it'd be good for them. And they do need to get more practice cooking and doing household chores bc before long they'll be expected to help out when the 3 older girls disappear.

They'd need at least 30 good sized potatoes and the peeling would take awhile.

Depending on your definition of "good sized" I think they'd need double that for mash because people tend to eat more mash then just regular boiled potatoes. Even so, peeling one potato takes half a minute or less. Put two of the kids to peel and they'd be done in 15 minutes. Slicing 'em up as you go along and then boiling them will take maybe another 15 minutes. Mashing them will take 5 and there you have it. I don't see how heating up frozen mash for 15-20 people would take any less time.

And I just spent 10 minutes analyzing mash making, I need to get out more...

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 5

aUaa5mp.png

The magic of TV.

ssjriAb.png

LOL  Thank you for the magic photo shot!  I could understand if this was Bewitched - but come on!  

Funny how things transform. TLC needs to hire some new editors and MEchelle needs to get her fingers out of the pan.  YUCK!

• Love 1

They looked like steaks to me, but they coudl've been frozen slabs of ground beef. Not like they'd bother to defrost meat before it hits the pan (with Michelle standing right here!).

The package said boneless.  Why would you have to state the ground beef was boneless?  Steak! 

• Love 1

I had no idea frozen mashed potatoes exist. It does add hypocrisy to the Duggars' bullshit claim of frugality. They are frugal when they think it makes them look like special snowflakes--when they can use it to draw attention to themselves. Generally, though, they're just lazy narcissistic famewhores.

And frozen mashed potatoes probably have less preservatives than freeze dried potato flakes (at least it sounds healthier)

Actually, the potato flakes I sometimes use for baking have one ingredient: potatoes.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 4

Not to belabor the point, but someone asked, the frozen save time because you skip the washing and peeling portion of the program and also the mashing.  You dump in pot and they cook while you make the rest of the meal.  Then you simply stir.  It matters to my daughter because she has a super time consuming professional job and two very young children.  She sometimes doesn't get home until after most people's dinner time and the children need to be fed as quickly as possible.  She frequently needs to cut every corner she can while still trying to give them food that is as wholesome as possible.  I'll take using frozen mashed potatoes over her going through the McDonald's drive thru every time.  Of course, the Duggars don't have any of her excuses/reasons.  They're in the opposite boat of many hands and plenty of time.  In fact it would probably be a better idea for them to put those kids to use doing something useful rather than running wild.  

• Love 3

I think that they are used to shopping for things that they can buy in bulk, and will last indefinitely: canned and frozen foods specifically. While I'm sure frozen mashed potatoes are more expensive than just buying potatoes and mashing them, I don't think it ever occurs to them to buy fresh food. While potatoes will last a good, long time, they won't last forever.

The "pies" didn't even look cooked to me. The pastry looked completely raw. Also, if you work pastry dough over and over (like the little girls were doing to make the stars) it becomes really tough.

I was watching another show tonight that depicted a large family that actually enjoyed spending time together, and doing things together. I think one of the reasons that there are so many of these ridiculous staged scenes is that they really aren't a close family that enjoys doing things together.

There are no big family meals with everyone gathered around the table laughing and talking. There are no side stories about the kids and their interests -- because they have none. As far as I can tell, they all sit around that house and do nothing until TLC shows up and gives them some "story ideas" for things they could do.

• Love 7

Those were steaks, no doubt and they looked like boneless rib eye steaks....NOT CHEAP;it's the best most tender steak routinely cut in grocery stores...some food budget? I wonder who gets to eat those steaks? The parents, of course...I agree that the top crusts looked raw...yuck.

• Love 1

I will admit, I despise peeling potatoes with a passion, so I never do that. The idea of making enough mashed potatoes to feed a Duggar sized family is horrifying to me, let alone a rehearsal sized dinner.

On the other hand, frozen mashed potatoes are an abomination, saith GEML.

GEML... they are not bad at all. The ones that I have used are from Ore-Ida and called Steam and Mash. It is just pre cut and partially cooked potato's that they have frozen. You put them in the microwave for 10 min and it steams them. Then add your milk and butter and mix. Pretty easy. The only ingredients in them is POTATOES, SALT, DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE.

Did I miss something? Some posts are coming across that the Duggars did pies for the rehearsal dinner. I thought the elder Seewalds hosted & took care of the dinner? Frito pies as I remember? Michelle said the boys got the notion to try out a few of their ideas for pies on Ben & Jessa in keeping with Miss Guinn's pie theme for the dinner. Was it known the Duggar (slaves) made pies for the dinner? As we have stated, neither Ben or Jessa seemed thrilled with boy's pies & James said he really wasn't into cooking or making them. I thought it was just another producer idea for the episode.

There is only me now to cook for, and I do only use real mashed by me potato. My problem is that I never have milk in the house.  A quart costs too much for just an itty bit of it to use.  I've gone to people's houses and know the not mashed in person potatoes because they are dull and watery.  Although, to be fair even self mashed can have too much liquid.  Sure am hungry for them now.

• Love 2

MicksPicks, can you keep powdered milk in the house? I keep it to use in cooking and for when I run out of milk and sometimes for coffee...lasts a lot longer than fresh.

I'm confused..was it real steak they were cooking or was it hamburger? Whatever it was, it sure looked like the boys had no idea of what they were doing. 

• Love 2

There is only me now to cook for, and I do only use real mashed by me potato. My problem is that I never have milk in the house.  A quart costs too much for just an itty bit of it to use.

I have this problem, too. There are a few things that I like to cook that require milk, but not enough to have it on hand often. Look for ultra-pasturized, it lasts much longer than regular milk (organic milk is often ultra-pasturized).

I don't think that there was ever any thought that those "pies" would be served at the Rehearsal Dinner. i think it was 100% TLC driven.

• Love 2

Sure, there are things in the kitchen where using your hands is easier. But not when a hot pan is involved! What in the world.

Those "pies" looked gross. I love Chicken Pot Pie. I love Shephard's Pie. But these things just looked like 1950s throwback casseroles. 

• Love 1

I use canned condensed milk in my mashed potatoes.

And I don't use any at all in my rustic version. Skins on, nuke the taters - with shallots - then mush them with butter and a wooden spoon.  Very chunky, lots of texture and if I do say so myself, dee-lish-iss especially when you nuke peeled shallots with the potatoes. I just grind a little fresh black pepper over the bowl and sometimes a little thyme or rosemary. Yum - now I want some...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3