Type keyword(s) to search

Sam McCall Morgan: Fierce P.I. or Tsunami of Tears?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

At least Sam's not crying all the time.

Is it weird that I miss the crying/yelling over her current state of "Ooh, I feel a pregnancy-related pain. Time for a nap" or "What's up with Alexis/Sonny/Carly/Julian?"

@HeatLifer responding here

Now, after time and a recast, they want to turn JaSam into this Brady Bunch family unit. And while some of it *may* be in-character for Sam (she always wanted a family, yes, but I think that was also about having a mother/father/siblings, as well)

For me, Sam's need to have a baby always seemed like Guza's piss-poor way of giving her characterization. I mean, when you have a brand new character and you make their goal having a baby, what, a year after they first come on? I guess my point is when people say "oh Sam's always wanted a baby", I never quite felt it. Admittedly that is because I barely paid attention to the character at the time but also it came across to me as very contrived. And it was easy for Guza to keep up, because it was built in angst for Jasam. "Well gee Sam if only we could have a baby, but mob!!! Yes, Sonny, but I'm better than him."

• Love 2

It's the go-to characterization for women, unfortunately. Molly is practically the only woman of childbearing age on the show who isn't pregnant/doesn't already have a child, and that's likely because HP is recurring. And anyone who doesn't have a kid is pitied. It's gross. There's nothing wrong with motherhood, of course, but there's also nothing wrong with not being a mother.

For all they call themselves feminists, Altman and Passanante have incredibly narrow views of what women can do.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, ulkis said:

also it came across to me as very contrived

It was contrived because all they wanted to do was make Sam sympathetic and retcon her character's history after the way she was introduced (a con woman with multiple husbands, screwing Sonny while Carly watched, etc).

• Love 1

The wanting a baby thing didn't happen until she actually got knocked up - and I think it became a continuing issue because she miscarried, couldn't adopt, got shot in the babymaker, etc..

Actually, I don't think she got to have a completely non-baby related story until 2008?

• Love 4

I really can't with her anymore. She legit sits and talks about other characters and what she thinks about them. Which would be fine if Sam was actually written as doing anything else.

Has Sam ever really done anything more than this, except at very beginning of her run and the stuff with Jax and Sonny? Even when she was mean Sam she was more just being the meta voice of the audience instead of it being actually about her. It think it's just more noticeable now because Jason doesn't have much going on either.

When Jackal PI was active, Sam had more going on. But now that Curtis is around and Sam is a mother, she apparently can't do anything but take care of her children. Which she should do regardless, and with the baby still so new, that's fine. But it'd be nice if she talked with someone about whether she had any plans to go back to work or whatever.

4 hours ago, ulkis said:

Has Sam ever really done anything more than this, except at very beginning of her run and the stuff with Jax and Sonny? Even when she was mean Sam she was more just being the meta voice of the audience instead of it being actually about her. It think it's just more noticeable now because Jason doesn't have much going on either.

I don't remember her solely just discussing other people, no. I remember a character who had issues, faults, problems of her own. And don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I want more Victim Sam. But even going with that theme? Look at what just happened to her with Olivia. It's like it NEVER HAPPENED. Jason just stood on a bomb. Next. Like, what in the world? We just call her "strong" and call it a day? We've moved on to Liz's parenting problems? Lawd.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2017 at 8:38 PM, HeatLifer said:

I don't remember her solely just discussing other people, no. I remember a character who had issues, faults, problems of her own. And don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I want more Victim Sam. But even going with that theme? Look at what just happened to her with Olivia. It's like it NEVER HAPPENED. Jason just stood on a bomb. Next. Like, what in the world? We just call her "strong" and call it a day? We've moved on to Liz's parenting problems? Lawd.

Yes!  And brave, too.  No seriously, I kinda miss silas/Sam because even they had story.  Sam broke into labs then.  Now she's like... Boring.  

Sam is not allowed to be herself cause she has to be mature for Jake's sake. Realistically Sam would have beat the shit out of Liz for what she did. She did far worse to Alexis when she got shot and broke up with Jason.

Siam was an abomination. That shit was terrible and Twitter couldn't have been happier when that mess was over. That relationship was all about Silas whining about Nina to only treat her like shit when she was found to be alive.

• Love 1