Type keyword(s) to search

The CW: Paramount and Warner Bros. walk into a bar....

• Start Topic

Where are all the Berlanti shows going to go now?

---

I'm expecting only four of the original scripted shows to get another season after this one -- *at most*. But I wouldn't be surprised if none do, either.

Eh, I think this is mostly a puff piece that doesn't really give much new info, but it works as a snapshot of the state of CW at the moment:

'New CW Entertainment President Brad Schwartz Outlines “Scrappy” Network Approach Under Nexstar'

One of the things that stands out to me is that CW has always been put down as being the 'cheap' network, or having 'cheap' shows (even though a good number of them were very popular and good), but the new execs want to go even cheaper.

I mean, I guess they have to, to try and turn a profit with a network that has historically been unprofitable; but I just don't think going 'bargain basement' is actually going to work out in the long run. Or short run.

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 2
On 11/3/2022 at 6:14 PM, Trini said:

One of the things that stands out to me is that CW has always been put down as being the 'cheap' network, or having 'cheap' shows (even though a good number of them were very popular and good), but the new execs want to go even cheaper.

I can't picture the super hero stuff continuing save for Superman and Lois, because the CW simply doesn't have the budget to do the effects to a high standard, and because Netflix isn't using them as a content farm anymore.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I can't picture the super hero stuff continuing save for Superman and Lois, because the CW simply doesn't have the budget to do the effects to a high standard, and because Netflix isn't using them as a content farm anymore.

At this point, I don't think even S&L will survive -- not on CW anyway.

Besides the reasons you stated, there's also this recent statement from Zaslav:

“The strategy that Igor put together was all Marvels in one place. You don’t wake up and find out that there’s a Batman TV show somewhere and a Batman cartoon somewhere else, they all have to relate to each other,” Zaslav said. “There has to be a look and feel for all of it. And so, I went on a journey a few months ago of, ‘How do I put all of DC in one place?’ ‘Cause I think it’s one of the biggest opportunities at this company.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/david-zaslav-james-gunn-dc-studios-batman-superman-1234782421/

It makes me think that DC shows on CW are DONE. There probably won't be any more DC shows on network TV in general; which would a shame, IMO. That's where they've had a lot of successes.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

It makes me think that DC shows on CW are DONE. There probably won't be any more DC shows on network TV in general; which would a shame, IMO. That's where they've had a lot of successes.

Yeah I figure we're going to see what happened to Marvel happen to DC. They do have a streamer.

Warner Bros. celebrates 100 years...

But putting Friends and Big Bang Theory in there though... especially alongside titans like Lord of the Rings and Casablanca... Come on. Who edited this? At least they've got Supernatural in there.

Warner Bros. has not aged well though, considering its recent strings of controversies regarding the firing of Snyder and Cavill. Not sure it's a good time for celebration...

On 10/3/2022 at 11:24 PM, Trini said:

Where are all the Berlanti shows going to go now?

---

I'm expecting only four of the original scripted shows to get another season after this one -- *at most*. But I wouldn't be surprised if none do, either.

All American just got an early renewal, so at least one show will be back next season. Which is already one more than I had expected when the takeover of the network was announced.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

All American just got an early renewal, so at least one show will be back next season. Which is already one more than I had expected when the takeover of the network was announced.

I think Walker is probably safe too. I don't have any guesses after that, though.

A couple more foreign imports for summer:

Haven't found any news about the event that was supposed to be on April 25th.

But they announced another acquisition today:

https://deadline.com/2023/05/cbs-stations-eight-drop-cw-go-independent-this-fall-1235357388/

The CW is about to lose eight important affiliates: the CBS owned and operated stations that are currently affiliated with the Nexstar-owned network will become independent in September.

The affected stations are WPSG Philadelphia, WUPA Atlanta, KBCW San Francisco, KSTW Seattle, WTOG Tampa-St. Petersburg, WKBD Detroit, KMAX Sacramento and WPCW Pittsburgh. These markets represent 13.9 percent of U.S. TV households.

This will give the CBS stations group a total of 14 CBS Television Network stations and 13 independent stations. ...

I read an article where a CW exec promised they would make a decision on their three remaining undecided shows (All American: Homecoming, Gotham Knights and Superman & Lois) "sooner rather than later."  I certainly hope this is true, as I feared they were going to wait until GK and S&L have their finales at the end of June to make up their mind.  I watch Homecoming and don't expect that it's going to come back, but its season ended quite awhile ago and it would be nice to get a decision, good or bad, at some point.

I'm happy because CW finally made an announcement that All American: Homecoming was renewed (as was Superman & Lois, while Gotham Knights was cancelled).  An article suggested there will be major budget cuts to both renewed shows, so I hope my favorites won't be dropped from AA:HC.  (They already often had a character or two absent each episode, so I hope the budget won't have to be slashed too much.)

• Like 1

The CW has finally put out its midseason schedule, but there's still no mention of All American or All American: Homecoming.  (I don't think Superman & Lois is on it either.)  Hopefully these shows are being filmed and they will get around to showing them at some point.