Type keyword(s) to search

The CW: Paramount and Warner Bros. walk into a bar....

• Start Topic

On 6/6/2016 at 11:38 AM, kdm07 said:

What a difference a year makes. Of their proposed line up, I'll only be watching Jane The Virgin, Legends and Supergirl (maybe). In my opinion: The 100 fell off a cliff in terms of quality this past season and I can't see it coming back from that, Arrow has never recovered from Sara Lance's death and I never watched the rest of the CW line up.

I'm still trying to figure out if the renewal of all their shows is good or bad news. I do know that there were rumours of the CW ending their Netflix deal to start up their own subscription platform which I don't think is a good idea, if the rumours are true,

Well now we know that they've expanded their deal with Netflix so that an entire season of CW shows will appear a week (?) after the show has concluded it's broadcast run. I don't know what this means for Hulu. Also I'm not sure what flashpoint means for the rest of the Flarrowverse. I believe it's being used to allow easy crossovers to Supergirl.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:16 AM, pivot said:

I have to wonder who is willing to shell out money for CBS All Access. The other networks are free with ads and CBS wants people to pay a monthly fee for their small catalog? Especially when almost all of their shows are in syndication and can be streamed on another channel for free (with cable subscription).

I'm not. But maybe the difference is new content.  They are launching with a new Star Trek.  I think there is also a Good Wife spin off.

I'm trying to think of any on line platforms where the new content isn't part of a subscription and not coming up with much.

On June 9, 2016 at 0:16 AM, pivot said:

I have to wonder who is willing to shell out money for CBS All Access. The other networks are free with ads and CBS wants people to pay a monthly fee for their small catalog? Especially when almost all of their shows are in syndication and can be streamed on another channel for free (with cable subscription).

16 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm not. But maybe the difference is new content.  They are launching with a new Star Trek.  I think there is also a Good Wife spin off.

I'm trying to think of any on line platforms where the new content isn't part of a subscription and not coming up with much.

Took reply to CBS thread.

On 9/19/2016 at 7:50 PM, arc said:

The CW is going to be available on streaming for free without needing any network logins.  Looks like all major streaming devices will be supported.

Their streaming sucks.   Lags, freezes, just awful.   To make matters worse, the greedy bastards pulled all their shows from Hulu.   Hulu was my go-to source for streaming recent CW shows.   Now there's little reason for me to keep my Hulu subscription.

On 9/18/2016 at 3:48 PM, Just Here said:

Thanks TVLine, for making me feel older: The CW turns 10 today. The netlet premiered on September 18, 2006.

I am still so fucking bitter that Everwood got shafted in order to give 7th Heaven it's 100th season. By that point, I was over Everwood, but still-7th Heaven? Really? Ugh.

At this point it's lasted longer than the WB, I think. Pretty much the only reason this network is still alive is because of the Vampire Diaries. That was it's first real hit, which got them into more genre stuff and eventually lead to Arrow and The Flash.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

CW will have programming 6 days a week: 'The CW Reclaims Sunday, Will Expand Its Schedule To 6 Nights In Fall 2018'

Nine years after the CW network reduced the nights it programs, returning Sunday to its affiliates, the network is taking it back. Starting next fall, the CW’s schedule again will span six nights a week, Sunday-Friday (8 PM – 10 PM) for 12 hours of programming. The network’s affiliate stations are on board with the expansion — the CW has secured the same clearances on all six nights via an agreement with its key affiliate partners, including the Sinclair Broadcast Group, Tribune Broadcasting, CBS Television Stations, and Nexstar Media Group.

“Broadcasting remains the foundation of our multi-platform approach to bringing our programming to viewers,” the CW president Mark Pedowitz said. “Over the past seven years, The CW has added more than 80 hours of original scripted programming to its schedule – now that number can continue to climb, as we grow our broadcast lineup, and continue to add content on every platform.”

• Love 1

The CW has officially renewed ten series for next season, including Dynasty (CW press release).

The series being ordered for the 2018-2019 season include second seasons of the electrifying freshman hit BLACK LIGHTNING and DYNASTY, which recently saw the debut of Nicollette Sheridan as Alexis Carrington, as well as new seasons of ARROW (Season 7), CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (Season 4), DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Season 4), THE FLASH (Season 5), JANE THE VIRGIN (Season 5), RIVERDALE (Season 3), SUPERGIRL (Season 4), and SUPERNATURAL (Season 14).

Per Rachel Bloom, season four of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will be its last (TVLine). Also, from earlier,  Gina Rodriguez Hints at ‘Jane The Virgin’ Ending With Season 5 (Variety).

Still on the bubble for next season are iZombie, The 100, Life Sentence, and Valor

Looking ahead to the 2018-2019 schedule, the network's pilots (Deadline) include the Charmed reboot, Supernatural spin-off Wayward Sisters, the Roswell reboot, and six other dramas. The original Charmed spent its final four seasons in the 8pm timeslot on Sundays, so I wouldn't be surprised if the reboot also gets a Sunday timeslot, perhaps as a lead-in for surprise renewal Dynasty. I suspect the DC superhero shows will only get four timeslots, with Legends or Black Lightning held back for midseason. If any of the four bubble shows get renewed (with Valor seeming to be the most unlikely), I suspect that it will be a limited season order, held for midseason.

Has anyone heard/seen any buzz for the other six drama pilots?  The untitled Beverly Hills High football drama, anchored by Taye Diggs, with Greg Berlanti as an executive producer, seems the most likely for a pick-up, and, from an advertising demographics perspective, would probably make a good pairing with Black Lightning.  The only other pilot that looks to have some traction is the supernatural procedural Dead Inside.  These are Deadline's summaries for the two pilots:

When a rising high school football player from South Central L.A. is recruited to play for Beverly Hills High, the wins, losses and struggles of two families from vastly different worlds — Compton and Beverly Hills — begin to collide. Inspired by the life of pro football player Spencer Paysinger.

After surviving an explosion that killed her hotshot detective big brother, an underachieving beat cop starts seeing his ghost, flipping their sibling dynamic on its head and allowing her to truly live her life for the first time. They work together to help crime victims both living and dead and figure out the unfinished business keeping his spirit on Earth.

• Love 1

Update on renewals/cancellations:  The 100 has been renewed, while freshman dramas Valor and Life Sentence will not be getting a second season.  Still no definitive word on iZombie. (TVLine)

The CW's upfront is scheduled for Thursday, May 17th.

• Love 1
(edited)

Upfront News:

• iZombie survives for another season
  • New Series:*
    • Fall Premieres: Charmed, All American (the Beverly Hills high school football drama), Legacies (Vampire Diaries / Originals spin-off)
    • Mid-Season: Roswell, New Mexico; In the Dark (blind slacker girl solves crimes)
  • Supergirl moves to Sundays, will be the lead-in for Charmed
  • Arrow moves to Mondays

*The series orders for these projects was announced on May 11th, along with the decision to not pick-up the Supernatural backdoor spin-off Wayward Sisters (Deadline).

Here's the full fall schedule (CW press release):

SUNDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SUPERGIRL (New Night)
9:00-10:00 PM CHARMED (New Series)

MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
9:00-10:00 PM ARROW (New Night)

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM THE FLASH
9:00-10:00 PM BLACK LIGHTNING

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM RIVERDALE
9:00-10:00 PM ALL AMERICAN (New Series)

THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SUPERNATURAL
9:00-10:00 PM LEGACIES (New Series)

FRIDAY
8:00-9:00 PM DYNASTY
9:00-10:00 PM CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND

Edited by Just Here
auto-formatting woes
  • Love 1

Anybody have an annoying somewhat echo sound during CW shows? I've tried multiple sound settings and connections on my sound bar.  Sometimes it gets better, but it's still there.  None of the other network or streaming shows sounds like whatever is going on with the CW channel. 

Maybe it's the Oklahoma connection. I don't know. 

The stars of Supernatural just announced on their social media that next season (15! Wow!) will be the shows last. Definitely end of an era on the CW. With that and Arrow ending after 8 seasons it will be interesting to see what the network does to fill those spots.  

More Pedowitz quotes here:

'The CW Prepares to Replace Several Concluding Cornerstone Shows as Upfronts Approach'

Almost of all this year’s pilots—several of which will be ordered to series ahead of next month’s upfront—lean heavily on existing IP (intellectual property), including Batwoman, Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene, Jane the Virgin spinoff Jane the Novela and reimaginings of The Lost Boys and Nancy Drew.

“These five projects came in quite strong, and to have, in a very fractionalized world, IP that you can promote, means a lot,” said Pedowitz. “IP gives you the ability to get noticed and the ability to promote. But more importantly, it’s also, what’s the take of the showrunner?”

Assuming that [Batwoman] is picked up to series—and it is among this year’s surest bets among pilots—it would give The CW a total of six superhero series next season. While he won’t decide for sure until he sets the 2019-20 schedule next month, “my gut instinct says we will not have all six on [the schedule] at the same time, in all likelihood,” said Pedowitz. “It’s nice to rotate them in and out; they’re all quality shows.”

Also in contention for next season is Katy Keene, based on Archie Comics characters. Pedowitz noted that the character hasn’t yet appeared on Riverdale, or its spinoff Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which airs on Netflix. “Her character, the way it’s being played is a few years after Riverdale High School. So she’s a little older. And it’s really a journey of 20-somethings in New York,” said Pedowitz.

As for The Lost Boys, a reboot of the 1987 vampire horror-comedy, executive producer “Rob Thomas had a passion and it took two years to get it right, under Heather Mitchell,” said Pedowitz.

The network’s Nancy Drew reboot “is not exactly the Nancy Drew you quite remember. It combines many of the elements that makes The CW very successful,” said Pedowitz.

And Jane the Novela is a twist on Jane the Virgin in that it is a telenovela anthology series, and each season would be based on a novel written by Jane Villanueva (the Jane character played by Gina Rodriguez, who will also narrate).

Inside the CW's New Wave of Superhero Series, Arrowverse 2.0

Ahead of Arrow’s Jan. 28 series finale, Mark Pedowitz, who last Friday was promoted to chairman and CEO of The CW, has been busy putting together the next iteration of superhero shows on his network, which he calls “Arrowverse 2.0.”

When Arrow, starring Stephen Amell, debuted in 2012, “there were no superhero shows anywhere,” said Pedowitz, noting that the network’s Smallville had ended a year earlier. “No one would have imagined that this would birth this whole universe and the golden age of superheroes.”

Eight years later, The CW’s stable of superhero series has grown to six shows: Arrow, The Flash, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning and its most recent addition, Batwoman. The network created splashy annual superhero crossovers, culminating in the biggest one yet this season: the five-part Crisis on Infinite Earths, which included characters from all six shows for the first time.

<...>

Between its linear and digital ratings, said Pedowitz, the first part of Crisis on Infinite Earths brought “unique viewers to all of our different shows that may not have seen those shows before. So we are pleased with that.” (The first three episodes averaged a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demo and 1.7 million viewers.)

Meanwhile, Pedowitz has been preparing for Arrow’s exit on Jan. 28, building what he called “the Arrowverse 2.0. We will update and change as we go forward.”

Last week, The CW renewed 13 shows for next season, including all five of its other superhero series. And two new Arrowverse shows are in development for next season: an Arrow spinoff starring three of that show’s female characters, as well as a series featuring the Superman and Lois Lane characters who have appeared on Supergirl and The Flash.

Even if The CW picks up both those programs to series, Pedowitz expects to air no more than five superhero series at any one time, putting the others on hiatus, similar to his approach this season. “Going beyond that, we tilt the network a little bit,” he said.

Also, The CW will expand its superhero shows into the summer months for the first time this year. In a partnership with the DC Universe streaming service, the network will air the new series Stargirl, about a high school sophomore who helps inspire a new generation of superheroes, one day after the episodes premiere on DC Universe.

“We think it enables us to continue the Arrowverse world in the summer and keep you entertained,” said Pedowitz, noting that the series will be “a slightly different flavor,” much like Legends of Tomorrow.

Like this year’s extended crossover, Stargirl is “an experiment. We will wait and see if the experiment works,” said Pedowitz. “But we are thrilled to have it.”

Did anyone  watch Killer Camp on Thursday night?  It is a British reality series that was like a cross between The Mole and Whodunnit?

One contestant gets killed off each week by a bandaged killer. The killer is controlled by one of the campers.  They have to try and figure out who is the killer among them.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, LakeGal said:

Did anyone  watch Killer Camp on Thursday night?  It is a British reality series that was like a cross between The Mole and Whodunnit?

That is exactly the feel I got when I watched this.  At least on this show they don't do a post-credits scene with the eliminated player to prove that production didn't actually murder them in some comically over-the-top way.

I am confused by some of it though.  It's obviously something the CW imported from the UK to have new content, but why are they playing for dollars?  Shouldn't they be laying for pounds (and dollars or pounds, $15k is chump change).   I thought maybe it was to play up the pretense they're in America (as if all the American flags weren't screaming it it--I'm assuming summer camp isn't a thing in England) but then the watermelon challenge was $60 per liter.    I don't know that it's terribly interesting (or fair) that the killer (let's be real, production) arbitrarily decides who's eliminated.   It's fine for some eye candy and accents.  

I read that Killer Camp aired in the UK in October 2019.  The 20 something cast of Brits were told they were going on a reality show called Summer Camp.  They were going to be at an American type summer camp. It was actually filmed in Lithuania. When they arrived they found out it was really Killer Camp.

• Useful 1

Killer Camp ended on Thursday.  It was a short entertaining reality show.  I had suspected the final killer from the beginning.  So I was not surprised with the reveal.  I disliked the person, so that might be why I suspected them so strongly.  They did seem to be manipulating things and got rid of Warren the minute he strongly suspected the person of being the killer.  

Killer Camp was rather interesting in a dumb sort of way. If I were a contestant, I would have refused to continue until I got in person meetings with the first 2 eliminated contestants to make sure they were still alive and unhurt because that first reveal was totally nuts. As was the host. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a host that totally over the top in any reality show I’ve watched. But at least he seemed to be enjoying himself.

If they were really there only a week, the hurt reaction from the lady who was falling for the “killer” seemed a little much because she only knew the guy a week

• Love 1

I have to say, “Fridge Wars” is kind of silly and I wasn’t entirely sure I wanted to watch it, but it turns out to be a fun, lighthearted Summer show. I’m not usually interested in cooking competitions, but the pandemic got me to start cooking and baking more

Today, the CW released the season premiere dates and times for the bulk of their original series.  (press release - cwtvpr.com)

Most start the week of Sunday, January 17th.   The Flash and Superman & Lois will premiere in late February (the 23rd).

FRIDAY, JANUARY 8
8:00-8:30PM WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (Cycle 9 Premiere)
8:30-9:00PM WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (Encore Episode)
9:00-10:00PM PENN & TELLER: FOOL US (Season Premiere)

SUNDAY, JANUARY 10
8:00-10:00PM CRITICS CHOICE SUPER AWARDS (Two-Hour Special Event)

TUESDAY, JANUARY 12
8:00-8:30PM TWO SENTENCE HORROR STORIES (Season Premiere)
8:30-9:00PM TWO SENTENCE HORROR STORIES (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00PM TRICKSTER (U.S. Series Premiere)

SUNDAY, JANUARY 17
8:00-9:00PM BATWOMAN (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00PM TBD

MONDAY, JANUARY 18
8:00-9:00PM ALL AMERICAN (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00PM TBD

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 20
8:00-9:00PM RIVERDALE (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00PM NANCY DREW (Season Premiere)

THURSDAY, JANUARY 21
8:00-9:00PM WALKER (Series Premiere)
9:00-10:00PM LEGACIES (Season Premiere)

SUNDAY, JANUARY 24
8:00-9:00PM BATWOMAN (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00PM CHARMED (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 8
8:00-9:00PM ALL AMERICAN (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00PM BLACK LIGHTNING (Season Premiere)

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 23
8:00-9:00PM THE FLASH (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00PM SUPERMAN & LOIS (Series Premiere)

Unsure if this kind of discussion is allowed here, but............

Anyone else feeling kind of 'burned out' on the superhero shows?  I'm sure I'll check out the big crossover event this season - assuming there is one - as I do every TV season, but the individual shows themselves??   Ehhhh.

I love sci-fi and CB fiction about as much as the next person... that said, IDKW exactly, but I just can't find the interest (or hardly any, for that matter) that I once had for all of them, or at least a couple of them (in recent past). 

Case in point;  Superman & Lois premiered last night.  Almost completely forgot about it.  I might decide to check it out later, but no real interest or enthusiasm to now.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
On 2/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Case in point;  Superman & Lois premiered last night.  Almost completely forgot about it.  I might decide to check it out later, but no real interest or enthusiasm to now.

I actually liked it, but man the superhero stuff is getting played out.

The CW seems to pretty much exist to give Netflix content that they're not completely footing the bill for. LOL. 

• Love 3

The CW Expanding to 7 Nights -- https://tvline.com/2021/05/13/the-cw-adds-saturday-night-programming-fall-2021/

Effective with the upcoming 2021-22 TV season, The CW will expand its primetime schedule to include Saturday, it was announced this afternoon by network CEO Mark Pedowitz. As such, The CW this fall will offer 14 hours of primetime programming each week (airing Monday through Sunday, from 8 to 10 pm ET).

<...>

“Becoming a seven-night-a-week network has been a long-standing goal for everyone here at The CW,” Rob Tuck, EVP of National Sales, said in a statement, “and in an extremely tight broadcast environment, the ability to expand our primetime by two more hours each week is a dynamic shift that will be gladly welcomed by our clients and the agencies. Following the recent industry trend which has seen considerable contraction on a linear basis, The CW will buck that trend this season by adding a new night of original programming, creating new opportunities for us going forward.”

'ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia Exploring Sale of The CW'

The broadcast network, home to shows like Batwoman and Walker, is being shopped by its corporate owners, ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia, multiple sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the news, says that the local TV giant Nexstar is among the potential suitors. Nexstar, which owns 199 local TV stations as well as the cable channel NewsNation and The Hill, is one of the largest owners of The CW stations. It isn’t immediately clear whether ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia plan to sell the entire network, or retain minority stakes.

I haven't seen any speculations yet on what this could mean for programming.

• Love 2

The WSJ article indicates that the most advanced talks mean the new buyer would have "a controlling stake in the CW, with CBS and WarnerMedia remaining as minority owners and receiving commitments to be the primary program suppliers for the network"

What wasn't surprising but was interesting was that "The network isn’t profitable as a stand-alone broadcast entity" which makes sense judging by recent ratings, but that "the content produced for it is a valuable asset for other platforms at the parent companies." I know a majority of the shows are popular on Netflix once all the episodes post at the end of a season.

I guess it is a little surprising that no era of the CW has been successful. I would have thought at least the initial lineup (the Smallville, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Supernatural) would have been, or at least the couple years of the heydey of the Arrowverse (when there was enough interest for the Legends spinoff) since they still had Smallville too, had the Vampire Diaries-verse, and a couple critically acclaimed shows.

I wonder if there will be an attempt by a new buyer to make it profitable somehow, or it will stay a content farm.

• Love 1

I really don't think either Viacom or WB would want ALL their CW content behind a paywall. Some shows might move to streaming, or get cancelled, but I think they'll still produce shows that fit the CW demographics.

What will the new owners want to do, is the question.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:13 PM, Trini said:

Some shows might move to streaming, or get cancelled, but I think they'll still produce shows that fit the CW demographics.

According to this article about potential buyer Nexstar:

The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CW’s content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales.

I hope they don't move CW in a completely different direction.  I would hate to have "Kung Fu", "Nancy Drew", etc. cancelled.  But I can see how a new owner might not be as forgiving about the CW's low ratings, and it seems likely that Nexstar will make major changes.

Wall Street Journal:

If a deal goes through, Nexstar may try to create a broader programming slate for the CW, a person familiar with the broadcaster’s thinking said. The network’s young-skewing shows aren’t a fit with the older audiences that watch local TV.

“Nexstar will really need to figure out how to develop and own more content that caters to its local markets to build audience loyalty,” said Jason Anderson, CEO of Quire, a boutique investment bank.

• Useful 2

I was expecting some renewal announcements this past week. I guess this sale really is going to effect which shows go forward next season? In any case, CW's day of the TCA Winter Press tour is this coming Thursday, so maybe that will be the day for news.

On 1/9/2022 at 1:17 AM, Camera One said:

The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CW’s content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales.

So that explains the Waltons movie experiment. 

24 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year),

I missed that Discovery is acquiring Warner.  So does that mean we can expect Captain Cold to be judging the next Ben and Jerry's Cone Clash and Spectre Oliver Queen on Ghost Hunters?  

Even if there isn't an official public announcement, they have to make some renewal decisions this month so the the writers/producers can get scripts ready, so that production can start in summer, so that there are episodes completed for fall.

I still think that most of the shows with established audiences (even if they're low) will get renewals; they need to have some stability during whatever programming transition the new owner makes.

On top of Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman getting cancelled a couple weeks ago, today The CW cancelled Charmed, Dynasty, Roswell New Mexico, In The Dark, The 4400, and Naomi. Check out the Variety article with more info.

Oof, not sure if there's already new owners who are making big cuts or they're just shedding whatever they can to make a cheaper sale, but that's a pretty brutal list for a network that has historically not really cancelled ANYTHING.

• Love 2

Someone at the CW really wants me to watch less tv, cancelling half the shows I watched on the network and picking up new shows that I have little or no interest in.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shantown said:

but that's a pretty brutal list for a network that has historically not really cancelled ANYTHING.

We were spoiled! 😭

I've seen speculation that even the renewed shows may not last much longer. Flash and Riverdale are definitely winding down, the others ... who knows.

Analyses are starting to come out: 'Mad About The CW Cancellations? Blame Streaming, But Also Its Unusual Corporate Structure'

excerpt:

So why, then, did The CW clean house this season? The blame isn’t squarely on network CEO Mark Pedowitz. Broadcast’s longest-tenured network topper reports to a board comprised of execs from Warners and CBS Studios, who for years have played a vital role in programming decisions. For example: While Dynasty has had the distinction of being broadcast’s lowest-rated scripted series for years, revenue from the reboot’s international sales and the Netflix deal kept it on the air for far longer than its linear numbers deserved. So after five seasons of living life on the bubble that included a wild history of casting changes, why did time run out on Dynasty and so many other CW favorites?

Blame streaming. And mergers. And The CW’s impending sale.

Warners and CBS Studios — now overseen by newly merged Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount Global — ended the Netflix output deal in 2019 to help boost their respective streaming platforms, HBO Max and Paramount+. Foreign sales, too, have dried up as those rights need to stay in-house as both platforms continue their global expansion in a bid to compete with Netflix and company in the streaming wars. That’s a loss of billions of dollars in revenue, making shows like Dynasty, for example, no longer profitable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 8:02 PM, Trini said:

We were spoiled! 😭

I've seen speculation that even the renewed shows may not last much longer. Flash and Riverdale are definitely winding down, the others ... who knows.

The only reason Dynasty made it to 100 episodes is because of Netflix. I enjoy it but that's because I was fine with the fact that it contented itself to be just a reason for the cast to play dress-up.

I really think this Network might be finally circling the drain. However, if 2023 is it long outlived the WB and UPN so good for them?

When the plans for the takeover were announced I assumed that the CW would be gone at the end of the upcoming season. And by that I mean that I expect them to cancel all leftover CW programming and replace it with something aimed at a completely different audience. So I probably won't be watching anything on the CW once that's all done.

• Like 1

More about Nexstar's plans for CW going forward, at Deadline: 'The CW Widens Programming Scope ...'

A few excerpts:

... Since then, sources tell Deadline that CW brass have reached out to the creative community, including taking agency meetings, to lay out their buying strategy going forward and tell everyone that the network is open for business.

On the original scripted programming side, in addition to the CW’s signature genre shows and teen soaps, which the network intends to keep doing — just not as many — it plans to broaden its slate by adding procedurals and other older-skewing dramas as well as half-hour comedies including multi-camera sitcoms.

The overall message was: bring us what you would’ve brought to the CW before but also bring us what you wouldn’t have brought to us in the past. ...

On the acquisition side, the CW also is expected to go for broader shows including procedural dramas. (For years, the network has been supplementing its originals with mostly Canadian and UK scripted series.)

The CW’s unscripted strategy is not changing; the network had been betting on broad shows such as Penn & Teller: Fool Us and World’s Funniest Animals, and there will be more of that going forward.

... Following Nexstar’s acquisition, previous 50-50 owners Paramount Global and Warner Bros Discovery each retained 12.5%. Their broadcast-focused studios, CBS Studios and Warner Bros TV, respectively, have been the CW’s exclusive scripted series suppliers to date. 

That will remain in place for the 2022-23 season as the vast majority of programming for it has been spoken for. Beyond that, Nexstar “will have the option to extend the partnership” with the studios, Carter said post-deal close, but noted that the situation is very much in flux. The company’s executives have indicated that the CW would be open to outside suppliers going forward.

• Useful 1
On 8/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, paulvdb said:

When the plans for the takeover were announced I assumed that the CW would be gone at the end of the upcoming season. And by that I mean that I expect them to cancel all leftover CW programming and replace it with something aimed at a completely different audience. So I probably won't be watching anything on the CW once that's all done.

That's generally where I think it's going. I do wonder how the ratings will be for the next Waltons t.v. movie- a lot of the Boomer/early Gen X audience they were targeting didn't like the changes they made. If they hold decently I think they'll make a show.