Type keyword(s) to search

Dorinda Medley: Berkshires Chic

• Start Topic

Has Dorinda ever mentioned her stepchildren? She was married to Richard for ten years so I would assume she got close to them but I can't remember if she ever mentioned them or not. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Has Dorinda ever mentioned her stepchildren? She was married to Richard for ten years so I would assume she got close to them but I can't remember if she ever mentioned them or not. 

Actually, Dorinda was married to her first husband, Ralph Lynch, for ten years.  She met Richard Medley in 2005 and he died in 2011.  I think they were only married for about five years.  But in answer to your question, I've never heard her mention her step children - not that it means they're not close.  Who knows.....

Edited by breezy424

I think some of what we see is the social edit version.  Richard's children may have asked that Dorinda not make reference to them on the show.  Someone up thread mentioned Richard may have had some ethically questionable business dealings and Bravo, wisely so, decided to side step them if they existed.  I think the only one who has raised business ethics about another's spouse was Carole.  She went after Reid pretty good when she felt Aviva had passed on rumors about Carole ghostwriting her book.  That whole chapter was such a ratings deflater I don't think Bravo will ever go down that road again.

I wonder if maybe the ratings game has not caught up to rapidly changing viewing habits. I have watched the HWs more often on the Bravo app and on HuluPlus through my Roku than I have watched during its regularly scheduled programming.

Me, too.  I rarely can watch in real time.  I'm always watching it on the DVR several days later.  How do they count us?

• Love 1

One thing about Dorinda, she doesn't go after the men with the model good looks...

Apparently not, and she's a lot more mercenary than I first thought. Lovely that her first desciption of John to friends was - "fat rich Armenian". What a charming bitch she is.

• Love 8

Actually, Dorinda was married to her first husband, Ralph Lynch, for ten years.  She met Richard Medley in 2005 and he died in 2011.  I think they were only married for about five years.  But in answer to your question, I've never heard her mention her step children - not that it means they're not close.  Who knows.....

Ah thanks. I have her history all confused, because when she said she and Richard lived in London their whole marriage it was news to me. I didn't think there was any bad blood with her stepkids, was just wondering what her relationship with them is like. 

I have such love/hate feelings for her. Sometimes she's fantastic, and others she just seems like the worst. 

• Love 2

Lovely that her first desciption of John to friends was - "fat rich Armenian".

She's such a shrew. I felt Carole's moments were actually touching during the London trip, but really wished Heather had gone with her instead since she's a genuine friend. Dorinda may have some common ground with Carole, as a fellow widow but I felt she was playing up the sympathy more for positive screen time. Also, she came off very pretentious when talking about her former life in England. It was rather countess-like. I found her boring at the start of the season, but have really come to dislike her. If she's getting celebrity-fans now, I'm guessing she'll definitely be back next season. At this point, I would prefer they kept Kristin.

• Love 6

Ah thanks. I have her history all confused, because when she said she and Richard lived in London their whole marriage it was news to me. I didn't think there was any bad blood with her stepkids, was just wondering what her relationship with them is like. 

I have such love/hate feelings for her. Sometimes she's fantastic, and others she just seems like the worst. 

She didn't say she and Richard lived in London.  She said she lived in London the whole time for 10 years with her first husband.  Hannah's father. 

She and Richard, her 2nd husband, were based in NYC but traveled to London frequently.  

• Love 1

She and Richard, her 2nd husband, were based in NYC but traveled to London frequently.  

I thought I heard her say they travelled to London every two months.  I wondered how they managed that frequency, and who took care of Hannah while they were gone.

I thought I heard her say they travelled to London every two months.  I wondered how they managed that frequency, and who took care of Hannah while they were gone.

Good question. They might have taken her with them sometimes?  She would have been at least 12 or so. And especially if her father still lived over there--AND they had a good relationship (of which we have no idea)--it would have made sense for Hannah to go with them. But as for how traveling and her school schedule worked out.... it's anybody's guess? 

Or maybe Hannah went to boarding school?   So many unanswered questions!

• Love 1

She didn't say she and Richard lived in London.  She said she lived in London the whole time for 10 years with her first husband.  Hannah's father. 

Wow I clearly do not pay much attention to Dorinda when she's talking! I feel like this is her fault more than mine though. 

• Love 1

Apparently not, and she's a lot more mercenary than I first thought. Lovely that her first desciption of John to friends was - "fat rich Armenian". What a charming bitch she is.

No one could accuse her of building John up.  What kind of friend would repeat that on camera?  Sad thing to do to a friend and especially sad to do to someone you have never met.

• Love 4

No one could accuse her of building John up.  What kind of friend would repeat that on camera?  Sad thing to do to a friend and especially sad to do to someone you have never met.

It was a terrible thing for her friend to say on camera. A good lesson for Dorinda, however, as she moves into her next season. Even having someone whisper something in your ear will not keep your secrets safe.

• Love 3

Ah but what kind of person would say that to begin with? The kind who would have friends who would repeat it! Dorinda has a weird racist quality to her, it's interesting because I don't think it's hateful or malicious but it's there all the same. 

I wonder if John is really that rich. He doesn't even live in Manhattan! 

• Love 6

Yeah, as tacky as it was of the "friend" to say that on camera, my biggest takeaway was that Dorinda was the asshole who said it in the first place. Yet I maintain she's still a good addition to the show. Although possibly in large part because of the foul things she says...

(See also: Singer, Ramona.)

• Love 6

Well, Dorinda did say that the room that Ramona/Sonja had in T&C was the room she would have given to HER "Nanny". So, it is more than possible that Hannah stayed home with the Nanny when Dorinda was in London with Richard. 

• Love 2

Here is a wild guess maybe  Hannah stayed or visited her father in London while Richard and Dorinda visited.  Dorinda did say Hannah has a relationship with her father.  

So I haven't watched the past few episodes (don't plan to, either) but I was hoping to come here and see if Dorinda had perhaps changed her character or (had received a nicer edit...) but nope. Still awful.

Dorinda and Carole both did fine.  It was touching most of the criticism is just tits on ant. The level of perfection expected is astounding-these wee real feelings-not the standard, "you talked to the host all night and ignored me," crap.  For anyone who has loved and lost, their conversations most likely ignited memories.  For those that haven't it was a look at what people feel when they are the survivor or in Carol's case the primary caregiver for a big chunk of their marriage and she survived with big chunk of her support system gone.   The scenes to be avoided are the Bethenny party scenes.     

• Love 4

The scenes to be avoided are the Bethenny party scenes.     

And Ramona's mealy-mouthed, shifty-eyed business partner telling her da two criteria of if they were on a date or not.  

Number one:  he pays da bill.  Number two:  they have to have hot, passionate sex.

I'd go to Bethenny's party and slurp her swill all night long over having to sit there and listen to him and Moaner 'flirt'. 

• Love 2

Dorinda and Carole both did fine.  It was touching most of the criticism is just tits on ant. The level of perfection expected is astounding-these wee real feelings-not the standard, "you talked to the host all night and ignored me," crap.  For anyone who has loved and lost, their conversations most likely ignited memories. 

I mean...people are allowed to see things differently than you. I found her annoying in the hotel room scenes, because I actually wanted to hear Carole's story without the constant interruption. t's not invalid just because it didn't bug everyone. I don't think that makes her a terrible person but lots of other things she's done since aren't reflecting too well on her.

I did like the rest of the episode very much and I like hearing Dorindas thoughts on grief.

• Love 5

I mean...people are allowed to see things differently than you. I found her annoying in the hotel room scenes, because I actually wanted to hear Carole's story without the constant interruption. t's not invalid just because it didn't bug everyone. I don't think that makes her a terrible person but lots of other things she's done since aren't reflecting too well on her.

I did like the rest of the episode very much and I like hearing Dorindas thoughts on grief.

I was responding to a direct question about the episode from someone who had not watched and I gave my view which obviously differs from yours.   Any and every can respond as they feel.  I agree people can see things differently.  I don't know what more there was to tell of Carole's story-she laid down in her husband's hospital bed, a doctor told her Anthony had passed and she had no desire to spend more time with his body-same as Dorinda.  Of course this differs slightly from her recorded account but with Carole I am use to it:  http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20144569,00.html

What I found odd is Carole saying she doesn't share the story-she wrote a book about it.  She talked about her first season on the show.  Perhaps she is unaware how and when she talks about it. 

On to Dorinda http://www.allabouttrh.com/dorinda-medley-reality-television-cannot-break-up-my-relationship-with-john/

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

I was responding to a direct question about the episode from someone who had not watched and I gave my view which obviously differs from yours.   Any and every can respond as they feel.  I agree people can see things differently.  I don't know what more there was to tell of Carole's story-she laid down in her husband's hospital bed, a doctor told her Anthony had passed and she had no desire to spend more time with his body-same as Dorinda.  Of course this differs slightly from her recorded account but with Carole I am use to it:  http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20144569,00.html

What I found odd is Carole saying she doesn't share the story-she wrote a book about it.  She talked about her first season on the show.  Perhaps she is unaware how and when she talks about it. 

On to Dorinda http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20144569,00.html

I'm not sure how the two stories differ, but OK.  

Actually, what she said on the show was that she doesn't talk about it very much. She said she wrote a book about it and put it all in there. I've never heard her say any of the things she said about Anthony before on the show. I've never heard her talk much about his death at all. Of course she explained her life and her tragedy when she first came on the show, but that was about it. When has she ever gone into any detail, except to say he died? Those details were all new to me as far as hearing them from her lips (of course I've read the book, so I knew what had happened). I think that was her point, that she doesn't really go into the whole thing anymore. Maybe she talked to Heather about it once, when they were in St. Barth's? I've always thought she got a bad rap for talking about it a lot, when she really hasn't. Except to say that he died and it all totally sucked. It's pretty consistent with what she has in her bio:

"And then … well, I don’t want to talk, here, about the end of that time. Cancer is a brutal disease. We had some really beautiful years. I have so many wonderful memories of Anthony. But there were also some very sad and very difficult times. I wrote some of it down. And I don’t talk about it much anymore."

http://www.caroleradziwill.com/bio/my-story

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 4

I'm not sure how the two stories differ, but OK.  

Actually, what she said on the show was that she doesn't talk about it very much. She said she wrote a book about it and put it all in there. I've never heard her say any of the things she said about Anthony before on the show. I've never heard her talk much about his death at all. Of course she explained her life and her tragedy when she first came on the show, but that was about it. When has she ever gone into any detail, except to say he died? Those details were all new to me as far as hearing them from her lips (of course I've read the book, so I knew what had happened). I think that was her point, that she doesn't really go into the whole thing anymore. Maybe she talked to Heather about it once, when they were in St. Barth's? I've always thought she got a bad rap for talking about it a lot, when she really hasn't. Except to say that he died and it all totally sucked. It's pretty consistent with what she has in her bio:

"And then … well, I don’t want to talk, here, about the end of that time. Cancer is a brutal disease. We had some really beautiful years. I have so many wonderful memories of Anthony. But there were also some very sad and very difficult times. I wrote some of it down. And I don’t talk about it much anymore."

http://www.caroleradziwill.com/bio/my-story

I corrected the link.  http://www.allabouttrh.com/dorinda-medley-reality-television-cannot-break-up-my-relationship-with-john/

I don't care if Carole wants to talk about it, she gave her reasons for making this urn retrieval part of her storyline.  I am still not sure why she included Dorinda in her retrieval but it worked. I don't know how much more Carole can talk about Anthony-I hope if she visited a place with Anthony and the RHs go there she feels free to mention it.   Carole story is unique-she elected to marry someone who had been diagnosed with cancer reoccurrence and  has chosen both in print and on a reality show to relive it.  There are small things that irk me - like seeing the coffee grounds medium and declaring her so brilliant and connecting the story to picking up the remains. That was kind of beneath the story these two ladies told with eloquence.  

Just as Dorinda has been described as a constant interruption, on replay it was maybe twice, those who want to hear specifics from Carole can never get enough and feel like she hasn't given enough details.  Carole and Dorinda have tough widowhoods to tell, we the audience never got to know their husbands on screen, as opposed to a  Russell Armstrong and both ladies have moves forward with their lives and have fallen in love.  It always seems a bit unfair to their present love interests to dwell on the marriages the audience never saw.  Carole, to her credit has said this about Adam.  Dorinda has also mentioned it about John but still takes a fair amount of criticism due to the timing of dating John that and John seems to be unlikeable by other RHs namely (Ramona and Kristen, who just happen to have rather unlikeable husbands themselves). 

I corrected the link.  http://www.allabouttrh.com/dorinda-medley-reality-television-cannot-break-up-my-relationship-with-john/

I don't care if Carole wants to talk about it, she gave her reasons for making this urn retrieval part of her storyline.  I am still not sure why she included Dorinda in her retrieval but it worked. I don't know how much more Carole can talk about Anthony-I hope if she visited a place with Anthony and the RHs go there she feels free to mention it.   Carole story is unique-she elected to marry someone who had been diagnosed with cancer reoccurrence and  has chosen both in print and on a reality show to relive it.  There are small things that irk me - like seeing the coffee grounds medium and declaring her so brilliant and connecting the story to picking up the remains. That was kind of beneath the story these two ladies told with eloquence.  

Just as Dorinda has been described as a constant interruption, on replay it was maybe twice, those who want to hear specifics from Carole can never get enough and feel like she hasn't given enough details.  Carole and Dorinda have tough widowhoods to tell, we the audience never got to know their husbands on screen, as opposed to a  Russell Armstrong and both ladies have moves forward with their lives and have fallen in love.  It always seems a bit unfair to their present love interests to dwell on the marriages the audience never saw.  Carole, to her credit has said this about Adam.  Dorinda has also mentioned it about John but still takes a fair amount of criticism due to the timing of dating John that and John seems to be unlikeable by other RHs namely (Ramona and Kristen, who just happen to have rather unlikeable husbands themselves).

For me there is zero problem with Dorinda interrupting. I try to give myself up to the show, but am always aware of the editing. I get that we saw maybe 15 minutes of a conversation that might have lasted hours. The were trying to let us get a glimpse of both stories. In those situations I let the body language tell part of the story. Carole seemed moved and involved in what Dorinda was saying, so I assume it was all Ok. Sometimes -rarely - things are perfect just as they are for the people involved. I won't go looking for ways they could have made it better for me, or more truthful or honest. For things they might have said wrong, or motivations I don't understand. It's a rare situation, that in my mind calls for just appreciating that Bravo let us see something beautiful in their own words. I've been moved by these shows a grand total of three times: this conversation, when Heather was talking about her son ("if I could just fix one thing"), and when Mauricio kissed his daughter goodbye when he left her at college. I won't begrudge any of them anything in those moments.

• Love 4

For me there is zero problem with Dorinda interrupting. I try to give myself up to the show, but am always aware of the editing. I get that we saw maybe 15 minutes of a conversation that might have lasted hours. The were trying to let us get a glimpse of both stories. In those situations I let the body language tell part of the story. Carole seemed moved and involved in what Dorinda was saying, so I assume it was all Ok. Sometimes -rarely - things are perfect just as they are for the people involved. I won't go looking for ways they could have made it better for me, or more truthful or honest. For things they might have said wrong, or motivations I don't understand. It's a rare situation, that in my mind calls for just appreciating that Bravo let us see something beautiful in their own words. I've been moved by these shows a grand total of three times: this conversation, when Heather was talking about her son ("if I could just fix one thing"), and when Mauricio kissed his daughter goodbye when he left her at college. I won't begrudge any of them anything in those moments.

What nice sentiments.  From time to time they can pull at the heart strings.

• Love 1

Say what, Dorinda tells Heather not to say the f-word...sounds like do as I say not as I do! Dorinda is just joking of course :-)

tumblr_ntg31lWwPK1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

by RealityTVGIF

Edited by talula
  • Love 3

I honestly don't think Dorinda is a "racist" but I do think she is "judgmental" and looks down on others when they do not conform to what she thinks is appropriate. Never mind that she, herself, does not behave/act the way she demands others to. LOL

Ah, the Countess has found a friend.

• Love 4

I agree with the theory that Dorinda turned on Heather last season to align with Bethenny, and I agree with Dorinda is totally sucking up to and trying to align with Bethenny.  But here's my question - how far into taping are they, and how late in the season are some of the TH's filmed?  We're only two episodes in, but it seems that Dorinda and Bethenny are being edited as the two alphas.  Seeing how editing is going down, will Dorinda become more confrontational with Bethenny, and stop kissing her ass?  If so, it's going to get interesting.  If not - boring.

• Love 2

I agree with the theory that Dorinda turned on Heather last season to align with Bethenny, and I agree with Dorinda is totally sucking up to and trying to align with Bethenny.  But here's my question - how far into taping are they, and how late in the season are some of the TH's filmed?  We're only two episodes in, but it seems that Dorinda and Bethenny are being edited as the two alphas.  Seeing how editing is going down, will Dorinda become more confrontational with Bethenny, and stop kissing her ass?  If so, it's going to get interesting.  If not - boring.

The THs are filmed mid to end of filming. Well after the scenes they are referring to were filmed and it is a producer off camera asking them questions while feeding them what the other HWs have said about them behind their backs to get them to talk about it. THs are often still being filmed right up to the reunion filming. On NY last season, Dorinda tweeted that she was filming THs the day before the reunion was filmed.

Bethenny is an Alpha because she is Andy's favorite, which gives her a lot of power over the others, and Dorinda was the overall fan favorite last season because she took on Heather. I think Dorinda thought she would keep Bethenny's favor status after what she did to Heather last season but little did she know that Bethenny is loyal to no one other than herself. LOL

• Love 1

What Dorinda pulled with the take an Easy Pass to Queens was the last straw for me. I never thought I would despise a Housewife more than Princess Carole but she did it. It looks like every scene illustrates that she actually hates John. So why is she with him? So she can have boyfriend when the rest of the Ho's are solo or with escorts? John is a very successful businessman who can get plenty of younger hotter woman than this shrieking harpy. He is a fame whore so I guess he deserves what she is dishing out. But I would hope he would have a little respect for himself and drop this bag of dirty laundry at the curve.

• Love 8

Well, at least she didn't spit as she talked yet and didn't have a piece of rice on her lips.  She does still talk with her mouth full.  And I find it hard to watch.  You'd think she would have learned something from last season.

Why 'is' she still with John?  I don't think John is a bad guy per se.  Yeah, he's skeevy.  But he's not horrible.  I just don't get why she stays with him if so much of what he says and does repulses her.  Heck, I can only think that she has her own set of issues (besides the drinking, etc.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Even if my mom's family didn't live in Queens, I'd still take umbrage at Dorinda sneering at the borough. Wasn't her dad an electrician, or in the trades? Her little digs seem to be about class and I figured that, given her own roots, she wouldn't cop an attitude about Queens.

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 8

I read on here (or somewhere) that Dorinda and her late husband Richard were the inspiration for Sex and the City characters (S02 E02 "The Awful Truth").  In this episode, Carrie's friend Susan-Sharon is married to "a very mean man" who yells at her all the time.  I must say, when I watched the episode, the woman did remind me of Dorinda a bit.  She's a very bawdy woman who works in cashmere (like Dorinda did) whose husband is "on London time a lot" (like Richard was).  Who knows if it's true or not but it's interesting.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LilaFowler said:
1 hour ago, LilaFowler said:

I read on here (or somewhere) that Dorinda and her late husband Richard were the inspiration for Sex and the City characters (S02 E02 "The Awful Truth").  In this episode, Carrie's friend Susan-Sharon is married to "a very mean man" who yells at her all the time.  I must say, when I watched the episode, the woman did remind me of Dorinda a bit.  She's a very bawdy woman who works in cashmere (like Dorinda did) whose husband is "on London time a lot" (like Richard was).  Who knows if it's true or not but it's interesting.

25 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I can't remember the story, but the actress who played Susan-Sharon looks a lot like Dorinda.  What's the rest of what happened with them on S&TC?

HOLY. SHIT. 

I don't remember a resemblance between the actress and Dorinda, but Carrie suggests Susan Sharon leave her husband and Susan Sharon ends up crashing with Carrie, and as it turns out she's depressed and lonely without her very mean husband.  Charlotte had a little Jack Russell terrier that was destroying everything she owned, and somehow Susan Sharon ended up going back to her husband with the dog, and the dog saved their marriage because the husband could now yell at the dog.  It was a weird story line. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, shoegal said:

HOLY. SHIT. 

I don't remember a resemblance between the actress and Dorinda, but Carrie suggests Susan Sharon leave her husband and Susan Sharon ends up crashing with Carrie, and as it turns out she's depressed and lonely without her very mean husband.  Charlotte had a little Jack Russell terrier that was destroying everything she owned, and somehow Susan Sharon ended up going back to her husband with the dog, and the dog saved their marriage because the husband could now yell at the dog.  It was a weird story line. 

Thanks.

This is the actresses IMdB photo, but yeah, she didn't look like this on the show.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0697062/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9

• Love 1

I realized that what I dislike most about Dorinda is what I disliked about her daughter last season - they are totally attention-seeking.  I think that Dorinda is fairly intelligent, but she has this intense desire to create drama in her relationship with John.  Maybe she's not really ready to be in a relationship after Richard, I don't know, and I certainly don't doubt the level of her grief.  But seriously - love your man or leave him.

John's not exactly my favorite person in the world, but I laughed out loud when he said he would rather sleep in his car than stay at Ramona's house. 

• Love 7