Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

Small Talk: The Mess

Reading and thoroughly enjoying this amazing piece of NASA news, my mind went directly to Galileo and "Talk to us."  There really is a reference from The West Wing for just about everything, isn't there?
NASA receives response from Voyager 1 spacecraft 13 billion miles away after 37 years of inactivity

The thrusters aboard the Voyager 1 spacecraft just did what we thought was impossible. After 37 years of inactivity, NASA just received response from spacecraft 13 billion miles away, NASA said in a statement on its website. Voyager 1 is NASA’s farthest and fastest spacecraft. It was launched on September 5, 1977. Having operated for 40 years, 6 months and 14 days as of March 19, 2018, the spacecraft relies on small devices called thrusters to orient itself so it can communicate with Earth. These thrusters fire in tiny pulses, or “puffs,” lasting mere milliseconds, to subtly rotate the spacecraft so that its antenna points at our planet. Now, the Voyager team is able to use a set of four backup thrusters, dormant since 1980.

• Like 2

The West Wing board seems to have gone a little quiet lately. Am just wondering if anyone has got round to watching - or re-watching - the show again?

I must admit it has been quite a few month since I finished my last "marathon" indulgence ,and am currently busy watching other shows. But I think nearer the end of the year and the darker colder nights start to roll in, I will no doubt be back "in the room" again for a few more weeks with my favourite political characters.

Still can't believe the show is almost 20 years old from its original broadcast!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zola said:

The West Wing board seems to have gone a little quiet lately. Am just wondering if anyone has got round to watching - or re-watching - the show again?

I must admit it has been quite a few month since I finished my last "marathon" indulgence ,and am currently busy watching other shows. But I think nearer the end of the year and the darker colder nights start to roll in, I will no doubt be back "in the room" again for a few more weeks with my favourite political characters.

Still can't believe the show is almost 20 years old from its original broadcast!

Since it is summer and most of my shows are on hiatus, I’ve been watching episodes here and there but not in an organized fashion. More in a “oh, I like this episode” way where I watch a favorite episode and like 4 after it because once I start I can’t stop. 

19 minutes ago, deaja said:

Since it is summer and most of my shows are on hiatus, I’ve been watching episodes here and there but not in an organized fashion. More in a “oh, I like this episode” way where I watch a favorite episode and like 4 after it because once I start I can’t stop. 

Do you think your original love for the show back in the day is still as strong today? I must admit I have lost some of the "love" since I first started watching it some 10 years ago. Perhaps back then I was only 15, and here in the UK we didn't have much access to US cable TV and broadband streaming. As such I only ever got round to watching network shows such as The West Wing, while HBO shows like The Wire and the Sopranos just past me by back then. As a consequence TWW remained my key show back then.

10 years on, and having access to all manner of shows from different countries and different media broadcasters, I do find TWW rather quaint and wholesome - no bad language, no sex or violence, no shock values - just a typical network show trying to hold its own against the rising forces of HBO and Starz etc. 

I still have a lot of affection for TWW, but times have most certainly changed, and I find myself having to be in the right frame of mind to watch it other than to dip my toe with random episodes here and there. Whereas with something like "The Wire" I will watch in its entirety because it feels more "real" somehow.

<I suspect I am not making much sense - its 2:15pm here in sunny England, and I've had a couple of glasses of wine to cool me down. As a consequence I will shut the hell up :) >

On The Good Doctor season premier, they showed Dr. Toby/Glassman throwing paper at a waste basket and missing every "shot". The Toby we know, almost never would have missed so it must have been the brain tumor!

• Like 3

$100.00 "Spaldeen."   Proceeds benefit ACLU of Southern California.

Ball Signed by “The West Wing” Actor, Richard Schiff

Own an exclusive piece of television memorabilia signed by the Emmy award-winning actor that played the beloved character Toby Ziegler in The West Wing.

https://www.ifonly.com/entertainment/product/64557/ball-signed-by-the-west-wing-actor-richard-schiff

Customize font-size