Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Mess

Betsy Boo, nice but not the same one that sent me my Josiah Bartlet Presidential Library tee shirt. It got put on slightly askew, giving it an even better look

• Love 2

Driad, yes, there was a big discussion of it when President Bartlett accepted a green flag (representing the "wrong" flag of ... Taiwan? I think?) at the rope line before the China summit and then Charlie had to go down the rabbit hole trying to get it back.  There was also a discussion of it when Donna gave a case of moose meat to an intern, who sold it on eBay.

• Love 2
(edited)

And, of course, the time I had to put a curse on C.J.  On the president's trip to Cairo, someone gave him a ceramic statue of me.  He made the mistake of allowing it to wind up in the hands of C.J., who broke it, crazy-glued it back together, and used it to hold potpourri.

"Dad, this would be a good time to mention that it's possible an Egyptian cat goddess named Bast has put an ancient curse on me."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

Anyone else ever wonder why it was the Donna character that got to be part of the main cast and not Margaret, Ginger, Bonnie, or Carol? I get the chemistry between Josh and Donna but the others were always there, well mostly so why not them?

• Love 2

Was in DC with the family this weekend and yes, there were lots of TWW quips, the best of which was when we walked by the DAR building I asked if we should stop in to see Marion Cotesworth-Hay and Au Jr. said, "yeah, I want to see the Francis Scott Key key"!

• Love 4

Was in DC with the family this weekend and yes, there were lots of TWW quips, the best of which was when we walked by the DAR building I asked if we should stop in to see Marion Cotesworth-Hay and Au Jr. said, "yeah, I want to see the Francis Scott Key key"!

I just happened to watch that episode yesterday and noticed that Marion was played by the actress who played Ethel Beavers on Parks & Rec.  And her real name is Helen Slayton Hughes, which does sound like she could be a member of DAR.  And... Peter Dinklage is her cousin. 

• Love 2

David Huddleston, who memorably played Republican Senator Max Lobell in S1's "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics", has passed away at the age of 85.    In his honor, I'll just leave this exchange, one of my TWW favorites, here.

President Josiah Bartlet: We agree on nothing, Max.

Senator Lobell: Yes, sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Education, guns, drugs, school prayer, gays, defense spending, taxes - you name it, we disagree.

Senator Lobell: You know why?

President Josiah Bartlet: Because I'm a lily-livered, bleeding-heart, liberal, egghead communist.

Senator Lobell: Yes, sir. And I'm a gun-toting, redneck son-of-a-bitch.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yes, you are.

Senator Lobell: We agree on that.

• Love 3

I was sorting through a pile of old business cards this evening, and I came across one from a person in the HR department of the Dewey Ballantine law firm - I have no idea when or where I got her card, but I had to wonder if she knew Sam Seaborn when he was there.

• Love 1

I have no idea when or where I got her card, but I had to wonder if she knew Sam Seaborn when he was there.

I forgot he was there-I always think of Gage Whitney Pace when I think of him and I continue to be amazed he was a corporate lawyer and not a litigator.

And now I must remind myself that he is not a real person

• Love 4

Joss Whedon has put together a PAC dedicated to the "get out the vote" effort.  Be forewarned that it is definitely left leaning.  (Although I suspect that's where most of us who are fans of TWW would fall.)  Anyway, they've released a star-studded video that's loaded with Avengers and other celebs, including Martin Sheen and Brad Whitford.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/21/joss-whedon-video-vote-save-the-day

• Love 1

Joss Whedon has put together a PAC dedicated to the "get out the vote" effort.

As we all know, decisions are made by those who show up....wait, where have I heard that before?

By the way, I think you mean a PSA, but then again, maybe it is a PAC and if so, given the stars, it is really a Super Pac.

• Love 1

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/west-wing-cast-hillary-clinton-1201867222/

Six cast members from “The West Wing” will campaign for Hillary Clinton in Ohio this weekend.

Richard Schiff, Allison Janney, Bradley Whitford, Dulé Hill, Joshua Malina, and Mary McCormack will participate in organizing events across Ohio with stops in the Mahoning Valley, Cleveland, Sandusky, and Toledo areas on Saturday, and in the Dayton and Columbus areas on Sunday, the campaign said.

3 hours ago, AriAu said:

Sorry ProudMary, you were right and I was wrong. I was trying to be clever rather than looking at, I don't know, thefacts.

Definitely not a big deal, at all.  We are both sort of right; the video itself is a PSA, distributed by a PAC.   
We're good. :)

Life imitates art:

Dead Man Elected Treasurer of California City

An Oceanside man who died of natural causes in September was elected to office in the coastal San Diego County city more than a month later, officials confirmed Wednesday.  Gary Ernst was elected to Oceanside City Treasurer by a six percent margin over challenger Nadine Scott. The election results are expected to be certified on December 7th by the city council.  Ernst died Sept. 23 which did not allow enough time to remove his name from the ballot.  With all precincts reporting, Ernst earned 17,659 votes.

City council members can declare the seat vacant since the winner cannot physically take office, according to Oceanside’s City Attorney John Mullen. That will lead to either an appointment or a special election.  If city leaders choose to appoint someone for two years, the decision must be made within 60 days, Mullen said.

Scott told NBC 7 that she would like to be appointed to honor the 15,500 voters who cast their ballot for her.  She said she believes voters were not informed that Ernst was deceased prior to the election because some city leaders wanted to appoint another candidate after the election.

11 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The same thing happened where I live. A man who had Cancer was running to keep his longtime "At Large" seat on our City Council. He died Friday & was re-elected to office in Tuesday's election. Now the local branch of his party has to caucus & pick someone to replace him, at least for now. I'm still not sure if the replacement takes the office until the next regularly scheduled election where the term is up, or if it's just until a special election can be held to get a permanent replacement.

• Love 1

President Obama today enacted a permanent offshore drilling ban that may very well be Trump-proof, which when described reminded me of the "Enemies" episode of TWW.  And it would seem that is pretty close to truth.
http://secondnexus.com/politics-and-economics/obamas-parting-shot-might-permanent-save/?utm_content=inf_10_1164_2&tse_id=INF_df88c120c78811e686924f044efee13a

Obama invoked an obscure provision of the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, a 1953 law which permits him to act unilaterally––legal experts expressed confidence that the ban will withstand legal challenges by the incoming administration.
   --snip--
According to a senior official within the administration who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity, nowhere does the law say that a future president can reinstate those areas. The official drew a comparison between Obama’s use of the 1953 oil drilling law and the president’s authority to designate national monuments, granted under the 1906 Antiquities Act. No presidentially designated monuments have been removed by later presidents, he said. He further noted that former presidents Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, George Bush and Bill Clinton invoked the 1953 law to protect portions of federal waters and that none of those designations have been undone by later administrations.

• Love 1

I don't have plans for Christmas, so I think I'll break out my DVDs and watch TWW Christmas episodes tomorrow.  I've always said, for a little Jewish kid, Sorkin could write the heck out of a Christmas episode.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/politics/tom-udall-gorsuch-garland-scotus-plan/index.html

Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM) has an idea that could place both Judge Neil Gorsuch and Judge Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court at the same time.
The idea closely follows a plot line from an episode of "The West Wing" television show. In season 5, episode 17, "The Supremes," a spot on the Supreme Court opens up and the White House works out a deal with another justice to retire so they can replace him with both a liberal justice while Republicans can get their pick of a more conservative justice. Jennifer Talhelm, communications director for Udall, told CNN that the senator did not get the idea from the West Wing, and that while he has maybe seen an episode or two, he doesn't watch the show.

@betsyboo, I'm planning on going to the Chicago show as soon as possible.  It's not the same as seeing the original Broadway cast, but I still want to do it so badly. Have you read the Hamiltone?  If not, do it! It has so many pictures and notes and fabulousness!

Whenever someone says "I've found my people" in reference to Hamilton, I want to in true Lin Manuel-Miranda fan-girl style say "Do you mean you've found your island like the closing number of 'In the Heights?'"  Yes, I'm hooked on that soundtrack too, but not the way I am on Hamilton. 

7 minutes ago, deaja said:

@betsyboo, I'm planning on going to the Chicago show as soon as possible.  It's not the same as seeing the original Broadway cast, but I still want to do it so badly. Have you read the Hamiltone?  If not, do it! It has so many pictures and notes and fabulousness!

Whenever someone says "I've found my people" in reference to Hamilton, I want to in true Lin Manuel-Miranda fan-girl style say "Do you mean you've found your island like the closing number of 'In the Heights?'"  Yes, I'm hooked on that soundtrack too, but not the way I am on Hamilton. 

The Chicago cast looks fantastic, tho. Total BWay cred. Karen Olivo is the lead from ITH. Miguel Cervantes! The guy playing LaFayette/TJ is a DELIGHT. (Only have seen youtube of him, but he is so excited to be there!) And the new Burr started last night - Daniel Breaker. It will be just as mesmerizing.

tee! I got the #Hamiltome for Christmas and I look at it with longing every weekend. It's like I don't want to start it because I know that once I finish it I won't have it to look forward to anymore! Also, I read A LOT, but not necessarily uninterrupted. I know that when I start it, I'm going to want to skip work and food and the outside world until I finish it.

Probably about a month or two ago, I turned on the tv to watch something on my DVR, and I immediately recognized the voice on the screen as Chris Jackson. Be still my heart! I had to watch til the end of the show even though I had no idea what the show was about and had already missed most of it.  

He's my current biggest celebrity crush.

31 minutes ago, deaja said:

Probably about a month or two ago, I turned on the tv to watch something on my DVR, and I immediately recognized the voice on the screen as Chris Jackson. Be still my heart! I had to watch til the end of the show even though I had no idea what the show was about and had already missed most of it.  

He's my current biggest celebrity crush.

I think he's in Michael Weatherly's Dr. Phil show.

The Chicago cast looks fantastic, tho. Total BWay cred. Karen Olivo is the lead from ITH. Miguel Cervantes! The guy playing LaFayette/TJ is a DELIGHT. (Only have seen youtube of him, but he is so excited to be there!)

The Chicago cast IS fantastic-saw the show a few weeks ago. The (very) young man playing Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson (almost cant type it without adding ...."coming home") is still in college-took a break to be in the show-and he is awesome. They only suffer by comparison to the original, and only then by a little.

On another note, watching Spicer's complete Hitler melt down yesterday made we think of the "secret plan to fight inflation" only here the press corps tried to bail him out rather than trapping him as he tried to instill the discipline that the briefings so badly needed. He "impwoded"!!!!!! I was worried that he had fallen and hit his head! Can I say it again....he impwoded!

• Love 2

My eighth-grade son informed me that he and his history teacher think the school should have a Big Block of Cheese Day ("Do you know what I mean by that, Mom? 'Cause I can explain it to you if you need me to."). It warmed my Wingnut heart.

• Love 5
(edited)

I know everyone is busy eliminating beloved characters, but I cant believe that no one is commenting on the appearance of Joey Lucas, Kate "Bangs" Harper or Will Bailey on Battle of The Network Stars last night (July 13, 2017)! Was Joey cheating on Kenny when she trash talked from the dunk tank perch using another interpreter. No comment on how Kate and Will are not together anymore? No comment on if Will could run so fast, how come he didn't run away from Bingo Bob? No comment on whether Kate got her kayaking skills from paddling from 90 miles away?

Oh, wait, those were the real people?? I am so confused??

Gotta tell you, as a male of certain age, that show is not the same as when they had Linda Carter or Heather Locklear in a wet swimsuit! And, I can't believe that I am saying this, but I sorta missed Howard Cosell, Telly Savalas and Robert Conrad!

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, AriAu said:

I know everyone is busy eliminating beloved characters, but I cant believe that no one is commenting on the appearance of Joey Lucas, Kate "Bangs" Harper or Will Bailey on Battle of The Network Stars last night (July 13, 2017)! Was Joey cheating on Kenny when she trash talked from the dunk tank perch using another interpreter. No comment on how Kate and Will are not together anymore? No comment on if Will could run so fast, how come he didn't run away from Bingo Bob? No comment on whether Kate got her kayaking skills from paddling from 90 miles away?

Oh, wait, those were the real people?? I am so confused??

Gotta tell you, as a male of certain age, that show is not the same as when they had Linda Carter or Heather Locklear in a wet swimsuit! And, I can't believe that I am saying this, but I sorta missed Howard Cosell, Telly Savalas and Robert Conrad!

Who ended up winning? I fell asleep at a point where it was close but the fictional White House staffers were beating the fictional lawyers & missed the last event/final score.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.

Who ended up winning? I fell asleep at a point where it was close but the fictional White House staffers were beating the fictional lawyers & missed the last event/final score.

Fictional White House won with little, if any, help from TWW crew-the buff guy from Scandal carried the day in the tug-o-war.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AriAu said:

Fictional White House won with little, if any, help from TWW crew-the buff guy from Scandal carried the day in the tug-o-war.

If anybody missed this or wants to see it again, ABC's repeating it at 10PM Eastern/9PM Central Monday night.

Am spending this evening on my own at home with a couple of friends - Ms Bailey's Irish Cream & Mr Maltesers, while watching "All The President's Men", the rather splendid 1976 political thriller starring Dustin Hoffman, Jason Robards and Robert Redford, and based on the true events of the Watergate Break-in and the subsequent resignation of President Nixon in 1974. (I read the book of the same name by Bernstein & Woodward a couple of years ago, and found it incredibly fascinating, and far superior to the "lite" film version)

Still a great film though, but every time they talk about the White House, the Press Secretary, the Oval Office, the Deputy Communications Director (Ken Clawson), the AG (John Mitchell) etc, I instantly imagine Our Guys, and how they would cope against the likes of Woodward and Bernstein; how CJ would try to spin the "Watergate" leak as a non-story; how Josh & Leo would distance themselves from the fuzzy goings on at CREEP; and how Leo/Toby would set up an internal investigation to find out who the leaker (Deep Throat) was.

Edited by Only Zola

Am currently watching all seven seasons of "NYPD:Blue" (season 2 thus far)

I noticed Bradley Whitford make a couple of appearances in season 1, as a pushy TV news reporter. 

Even though this was some five years before TWW in 1999, he looked remarkably like Josh. In fact I was half expecting him to shout "DONNA!" at any moment. Which, by coincidence, is quite symbolic because one of the first characters he spoke to in NYPD was a female police administrator called Donna!

Edited by Zola

Stating the very obvious here, but I can't believe this show is almost 20 years old from first airing!

I was only 6 years old in 1999, so obviously had no interest in the show. it was only during my time at university (2011-2014) did i get round to watching it, and even then it was from season 3.

Have watched the show in its completeness a number of times, and even though it no longer ranks as my top TV drama, it still has a very special place in my heart, not least for the great writing and acting, but for portraying American politics (slightly embellished or otherwise), in a fascinating and intellectually challenging way. And I know this sounds really odd, but when I am stuck with a problem with my job I often think "WWLD?"

20 years old (almost) - just can't believe it!

• Love 1

There were lots of new shows that year.  I always got the TV guide and thumbed through the one-page show descriptions to see what I might like to watch.  I'd already decided not to watch WW but the cast picture had 4 of my Hey It's That Guy/Girl actors, so I started watching from the pilot.  Never regretted it.

• Love 1

I can't recall the exact first episode I started watching TWW. I'm pretty sure it was season 3 and the arrival of Amy in Josh's life (so probably ""H. CON - 172")

Back then as a feminist undergraduate I was quite taken by Amy and her no-nonsense stance on men and politics. I think it her that really pulled me in to to show and have never really looked back. (Admittedly, she wasn't the best written female character in the show, but then along came CJ, who was.)

After a few more episodes from S3 I began to realise that this really is a very good political drama, and not just agenda-politics. 

Never looked back since. :)

Awhile back, we were talking in another thread (I think the Media thread, for whatever reason), about a TWW-related T-shirt that was available online (I think from the UK). It was what most merchandise sites with similar shirts call a "list" T-shirt--the graphic/message on the shirt is a list of items which have something in common which is not stated on the shirt. In this case, it's the last names of the main characters on TWW.

Only the T-shirt, in its original form (other online shirt stores have subsequently copied the original shirt), didn't list (Will) Bailey, (Donna) Moss &/or (Charlie) Young, though at least most of the versions subsequently sold by other online shirt stores do list them, usually as the last names on the list, & I got a shirt from 1 of those sites, because I thought it included more/all of the main characters (& I'm saying "Bartlet" on my shirt counts for both Jed & Abbey because the name is only listed once & both Jed & Abbey should be on it--other "list" shirts, however, will separately list multiple people with the same last name).

Besides only mentioning "Bartlet" once when, in my opinion, they could've/should've mentioned twice, & separately, which I noticed awhile back, it didn't dawn on me until I started writing this post that another, at least originally important, name was omitted from the T-shirt: (Mandy) Hampton.

She was even left off of the shirts which included Will, Donna, & Charlie. I don't know why I didn't notice that right off, or quickly, as many times as I've seen the original shirt & its subsequent versions.

Admittedly, Mandy wasn't my favorite character (or many people's), but you kinda have to feel a little bad for her, that not only was Moira Kelly, the actress who played Mandy, released from her contract & her character, Mandy Hampton, was written out of the show without an explanation after S1 (we say she was sent to "Mandyville"), her character was only included in/on (mostly officially licensed by NBC/Warner Brothers) TWW merchandise (mostly companion books) that was released before S2, plus the S1 DVD's which came out in late Fall of S2, & the subsequent legal digital downloads of the series that are available at certain sites. As far as I've seen, Moira & Mandy is/are nowhere to be seen on any T-shirts, or other merchandise, from online shops which include what's supposed to be the full cast. In some ways that makes me feel a little badly for Moira/Mandy.