Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Mess

I ordered a tee shirt from another site a few years back that commemorated the Josiah Bartlet Presidential Library and if not for the fact that they put the decal on a little offcenter, it would have taken a real Wing Nut to get it. (They sent me another one to make up for it, but I think the off center one makes more sense).

• Love 2

Frank Underwood (fictional POTUS played by Kevin Spacey in Netflix's House of Cards) & Josiah Bartlet more popular (Presidents) than Obama.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/frank-underwood-josiah-bartlet-are-more-popular-obama-reuters-ipsos-n328421

That is such crap.

I call even more bullshit on Frank Underwood. He is a MURDERER for crying out loud. 

Watch Ted Cruz come close to the presidency. 

• Love 1

President Obama issued 22 commutations of sentence today. At least some parts of the letter he sent to the recipients (which I think/hope you can click on to enlarge so you can read it, once you click on the link to the pic that's in the Tweet) reminded me of things Jed said to the recipients of his pardons in The Benign Prerogative (even though commutations & pardons aren't the same thing).

https://twitter.com/whitehouse/status/582990524358918144

The American President was recently on Sundance Channel. This channel is like broadcast tv and has commercials-hey, Redford can't pay all of the bills. It got to Andrew Shephard's big speech and he says "I was so busy keeping my job that I forgot about doing my job...." and they cut to commercial. Seriously-wtf-there are like 5 minutes left and that is where they cut?  I had dvr'd it since my kids had not seen it and I am tempted to delete it and find it on some other, any other, channel.

• Love 1

I think Aaron Sorkin or Debra Cahn wrote the season finale episode of Madam Secretary. There were lots of Sorkinesque lines ('Could you please stop using vowels and consonants immediately") and there were all kinds of pedi-conferences through executive office buildings. It wasn't West Wing quality, but it was like someone tried to copy it.

• Love 1

I think Aaron Sorkin or Debra Cahn wrote the season finale episode of Madam Secretary. There were lots of Sorkinesque lines ('Could you please stop using vowels and consonants immediately") and there were all kinds of pedi-conferences through executive office buildings. It wasn't West Wing quality, but it was like someone tried to copy it.

According to the entry for the ep, on the Wikipedia page listing the episodes for S1 of Madam Secretary, it was written by Barbara Hall. She's the show's Creator & Showrunner &, according to her Wikipedia page, she appears to have no connection to anything Aaron Sorkin has been involved with, professionally.

• Love 1
she appears to have no connection to anything Aaron Sorkin has been involved with, professionally

.Well then, good writers borrow from others...great writers steal outright!

• Love 3
(edited)

John Diehl, the Speaker of the Missouri House, resigned in disgrace today after it was learned that he sent improper text messages to an intern.  Didn't he know that they keep records of such things?  

John Diehl is also the name of the actor who played Claypool, the guy who deposed both Josh and Toby.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2

I keep seeing the actor who played Ned (Santos's aide that couldn't cut it) everywhere.  He was in the finale of Mad Men and he is in Aquarius.  I haven't seen him since Ned got kicked off the plane.

I keep seeing the actor who played Ned (Santos's aide that couldn't cut it) everywhere.  He was in the finale of Mad Men and he is in Aquarius.  I haven't seen him since Ned got kicked off the plane.

Evan Arnold has been everywhere for a long time, he just fades into the background a lot.

*Both* Rob Lowe (Sam Seaborn) & Allison Janney (CJ Cregg) were named, earlier today, as honorees in the TV genre of the 2016 "Class" of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Congratulations Rob & Allison!

If anyone's interested, the full press release--including all the honorees in each entertainment genre honored on the Walk of Fame--is linked below (& Rob's & Allison's names are, in a happy coincidence, next to each other in the TV genre's honorees).

http://walkoffame.com/

You Know You Watch Too Much West Wing When: Conservative pundit SE Cupp's reaction to SCOTUS' Decision Affirming Marriage Equality in All 50 States (& Apparently the Plaintiffs in the Lawsuit), "They are Patriots", reminds you of the smackdown Ainsley Hayes gave her Republican friends (ex-friends?) when they mocked the Bartlet Administration after her first day on the job in their White House because Ainsley's defense of the Bartlet Administration to her fellow GOPers/Conservatives ended with the same phrase, "... they are Patriots"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/se-cupp-gay-marriage-scotus-conservative-cry

• Love 1

You Know You Watch Too Much West Wing When: Conservative pundit SE Cupp's reaction to SCOTUS' Decision Affirming Marriage Equality in All 50 States (& Apparently the Plaintiffs in the Lawsuit), "They are Patriots", reminds you of the smackdown Ainsley Hayes gave her Republican friends (ex-friends?) when they mocked the Bartlet Administration after her first day on the job in their White House because Ainsley's defense of the Bartlet Administration to her fellow GOPers/Conservatives ended with the same phrase, "... they are Patriots"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/se-cupp-gay-marriage-scotus-conservative-cry

I believed Ainsley Hayes...

I'm feeling sad, or something, for Martin Sheen, his wife Janet, & their family today. It appears their son, Charlie, is going to be interviewed by Today's Matt Lauer on tomorrow's show & Charlie's apparently gonna disclose he's got HIV (& has apparently had it for awhile)--at least according to a lot of credible media reports that have come across my Twitter feed today.

I'm also feeling sad for Charlie's kids (he has an adult daughter from an early relationship, plus 2 pre-teen daughters with Denise Richards & minor-age twin boys with his last wife, Brooke Mueller; he also, I think I read, has a grandchild [maybe more than 1, by now] through his adult daughter). Thankfully, it appears neither of his ex-wives, or his children/grandchild have contracted the virus.

Honestly, considering how legendary he's apparently been as far as "womanizing" & drug use are concerned, this probably shouldn't be a huge surprise. But I think it's still sad for the Sheen/Estevez family. I'm sure, though, that they'll handle it in the same way they've handled everything else with Charlie. I wish them peace.

• Love 2

I'm feeling sad, or something, for Martin Sheen, his wife Janet, & their family today. It appears their son, Charlie,

You know what is interesting (I typed "funny", but there is nothing funny about this), is that I always forget that Charlie is Martin's son. Maybe it is because he looks nothing like him and has become such a star/celebrity in his own right, but I rarely connect the two.

Yes, I do feel badly for the family, but, as you correctly point out, it is not like it is a shock and it is not like he did not do ALL of the things that they tell you NOT to do to avoid this terrible disease.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1

I often forget that Charlie Sheen is Martin's son as well.  Yet I'd never forget that Emilio Estevez is his son.  Have any of you seen the movie "The Way"?

?

Yes, I have!  I liked it.  

I only watched it (on Netflix, not sure if it's still there) because I had read the joint memoir penned by Martin Sheen and Emelio Estevez called Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son.  It's a wonderful book with chapters going back and forth between Martin and Emelio with interludes on the filming of the movie The Way, in which Martin starred and Emelio directed.  What was very interesting about the book is that each of them would reflect on a specific time or event--for example while Martin was filming Apocalypse Now in the Philippines he took his family with him--and provide their own unique view of it.   Worth the read for those who may be interested.

Edited to add the Amazon link to the book:  http://www.amazon.com/Along-Way-Journey-Father-Son-ebook/dp/B005FLPMK2/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447742777&sr=1-3&keywords=Martin+Sheen

About Charlie:  I do happen to think he looks like Martin.  I also think that Emelio looks like Martin.  But while I think each of them looks like Martin, I don't think they look like each other.  Completely subjective, of course.  MMV.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 1

I saw The Way and really enjoyed it.  So much so I even contemplated making the journey myself.  I rethought that.  ::giggle::

I watched it on a fluke one day, by myself when I was sick in bed.  After that I tried to get other people to watch it and no one seems interested.  They don't know what they are missing.

I saw The Way and really enjoyed it.  So much so I even contemplated making the journey myself.  I rethought that.  ::giggle::

I watched it on a fluke one day, by myself when I was sick in bed.  After that I tried to get other people to watch it and no one seems interested.  They don't know what they are missing.

You may be my soulmate :)  I actually started researching the walk as well and then, like you, came to my senses.  Kind of like when I read "Into Thin Air" and thought I'd climb Mt. Everest until well....it became clear that would be a poor choice for me :)

It's certainly a beautiful movie.  I encourage a lot of people to watch it but few take me up on it.

• Love 1

I'm feeling sad, or something, for Martin Sheen, his wife Janet, & their family today. It appears their son, Charlie, is going to be interviewed by Today's Matt Lauer on tomorrow's show & Charlie's apparently gonna disclose he's got HIV (& has apparently had it for awhile)--at least according to a lot of credible media reports that have come across my Twitter feed today.

Okay, there is nothing funny about HIV/AIDS.  So please don't misunderstand me. But right now I'm laughing because I was reading this and thinking "His son too? That's the same day as Charlie Sheen..... oh. Sheen.  Yeah.  Same guy."  And now I'm laughing at my own stupidity.

I think Emilio looks so much like Martin that this summer when I saw AntMan, for a few minutes I thought they had used Emilio for some of the younger scenes. Really, I guess it was just makeup (and maybe some computer stuff).   But it was similar enough that I looked it up.

Okay, there is nothing funny about HIV/AIDS. So please don't misunderstand me. But right now I'm laughing because I was reading this and thinking "His son too? That's the same day as Charlie Sheen..... oh. Sheen. Yeah. Same guy." And now I'm laughing at my own stupidity.

I think Emilio looks so much like Martin that this summer when I saw AntMan, for a few minutes I thought they had used Emilio for some of the younger scenes. Really, I guess it was just makeup (and maybe some computer stuff). But it was similar enough that I looked it up.

To get this into the show topic, I'm pretty sure that Emilio played a younger version of Jed/Martin Sheen in, like, what were supposed to be old Bartlet family photos/home movies that were seen onscreen in 1 of the eps during the arc involving Zoey's kidnaping. Except I forget now which ep(s) were involved. I don't think Emilio was credited for the episode either.

• Love 1

To get this into the show topic, I'm pretty sure that Emilio played a younger version of Jed/Martin Sheen in, like, what were supposed to be old Bartlet family photos/home movies that were seen onscreen in 1 of the eps during the arc involving Zoey's kidnaping. Except I forget now which ep(s) were involved. I don't think Emilio was credited for the episode either.

IMDB says it was in 'Twenty Five'

• Love 1

May you all prepare well for Thanksgiving!

I had to find this because I just went to the Butterball calculator to plan my Thursday :)

Thanks so much for that!  I've been thinking about it but hadn't searched it out yet this season.

• Love 2

That is such crap.

I call even more bullshit on Frank Underwood. He is a MURDERER for crying out loud. 

Watch Ted Cruz come close to the presidency. 

Well.....So is Bartlet technically speaking ;)

Just a question, does anyone ever have the TV up louder than they realised, then have the crap scared out of them by The West Wing theme tune?

TRUTH

Edited by eyebleach
  • Love 1

So question ...

I assume all of us are pretty much fans of Sorkin's writing ... I am curious if it was just TWW, or did you like the other TV stuff he has done (Sports Night, The Newsroom, Studio 60) ... and the movies (Few Good Men, American President, Social Network, etc).

Personally, I have loved every single thing he has written.  I am a fan of fast pace dialog, so I was an easy sell.  ::giggle::

• Love 2

So question ...

I assume all of us are pretty much fans of Sorkin's writing ... I am curious if it was just TWW, or did you like the other TV stuff he has done (Sports Night, The Newsroom, Studio 60) ... and the movies (Few Good Men, American President, Social Network, etc).

Personally, I have loved every single thing he has written.  I am a fan of fast pace dialog, so I was an easy sell.  ::giggle::

LOVED me The American President "My name is Andrew Shepherd and I AM the President...." and liked Sports Night. I started watching TWW for Rob Lowe and Sheen, along with the political drama. I didn't necessarily recognize the genius until Bruno did in 20 Hours. But I *did watch Studio 60 and Newsroom because they were written by Sorkin.

• Love 1

LOVED me The American President "My name is Andrew Shepherd and I AM the President...." and liked Sports Night. I started watching TWW for Rob Lowe and Sheen, along with the political drama. I didn't necessarily recognize the genius until Bruno did in 20 Hours. But I *did watch Studio 60 and Newsroom because they were written by Sorkin.

I loved The Newsroom!

Jeff Daniels was a pretty good pick for Sorkin's style, however, I really didn't understand Emily Mortimor as a pick.  I found her similar to Moira Kelly ... just not able to keep up with the dialog, like it was a struggle for them, ya know?

I felt the same way with Amanda Peet from Studio 60 ... 

• Love 1

I apologize if I said this before but as much as TWW lexicon is part of my every day conversation, my friend at work and I use "JOE BIDEN" all the time when the occasion calls for it. As in "we announced this new online application but forgot to tell your office about it. sorry about the extra phone calls." #joebiden

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

The rhythm of his writing, almost always.  The content?  That varies wildly, and basically comes down to whether the cast can make me accept the bad along with the good.

I liked Sports Night a lot (although, on re-watch, I liked the first season less than I used to and the second season more than I used to, and found Natalie and Jeremy frequently unbearable, together or apart) and loved his seasons of The West Wing, but absolutely could not stand Studio 60.  By the time of The Newsroom, I was so tired of his patronizing brand of sexism and habit of thinking of knows more than he does that I had a pretty low threshold and quit after two episodes. 

He writes far better for male characters, but I'm not particularly drawn to androcentric stories, so I skipped Social Network. I'll probably watch it on TV some day.  A Few Good Men I watched, though, and it's pretty good for something that requires me to watch Tom Cruise.  I've never been able to get into The American President.  Too romance-y for me, maybe?  I really don't know, but I just don't connect with it and have never seen it in its entirety.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I LOVED the first episode of the Newsroom. Scratch that, the first scene. Will's speech was preachy but it was akin to the Gospel. It was a going well until the introduction of the Emily Mortimor opened her mouth.

I was hate watching by the time I quite sometime in the second season. 

• Love 1

Aw, I'm with BizzBuzz. I love or like everything Sorkin's written. He's my favorite major show-runner since he has more breadth than David Chase and Matt Weiner and I think he's more consistent and sophisticated than Joss Whedon (who are all my runner-ups). The "love" category is The West Wing, S2 of Sports Night, The American President, The Social Network, Charlie Wilson's War, and Newsroom. The "like" category is A Few Good Men, S1 of Sports Night, Studio 60, and Malice. Haven't seen Jobs yet.

Yes, I'm the rare person who prefers S2 of Sports Night to S1. I feel like S2 is bashed because of Dana's Daft Dating Plan when that's just a small storyline in the midst of a lot of interesting long-term arcs in S2 which was pretty revolutionary for a mid-90s sitcom. I think I'm also in the minority for preferring The American President to A Few Good Men. I know the latter has more dramatic "heft" than a rom-com but I think that's actually the ONE instance where I was annoyed by Sorkin's over-wrought preachiness and how Demi Moore was the female lead and supposedly Tom Cruise's superior officer, but disappeared into the background to just sit and glare stonily at trial mostly.

I actually really love Newroom, and I think it generally got better and better, although its absolute HEIGHT 

was the S2 lie of a story at its dramatic climax where it looked like the show might go under from its own folly.

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 1

I saw A Few Good Men before I knew who Sorkin was, I never realised it was the same person who wrote the West Wing until John Barrowman was on TV talking about appear in the stage version in the west end. Rob Lowe was in that too.

I watched Studio 60 but bailed mid series because I hated the sexist way Danny pursued Jordan. But the third episode The Focus Group is one of my favourite Sorkin episodes of anything. And it has my favourite quote that is relevant about the use of focus groups

Jordan: are you bothered at all by the spectacular lack of success these things have at predicting success.

Jack: that's not true

Jordan: they blew Seinfeld, the blew All in the Family, the blew Hill Street Blues

Jack: look at the data on ER, Clooney broke the needle

Jordan: Yeah, I need a damn focus group to tell me Clooney's good looking.

I loved The Newsroom, like The West Wing it has some fantastic dialogue. This is my personal favourite

• Love 1

Aaron Sorkin has received a Golden Globes' nomination for Best Screenplay for Steve Jobs.  If you're a fan of the film--I am.  I thought it was brilliant--you'll be pleased to know that Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet also received nominations.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-golden-globes-2016-nominees-winners-list-story.html

Screenplay

Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer, "Spotlight"
Aaron Sorkin, "Steve Jobs"
Quentin Tarantino, "The Hateful Eight"
Emma Donoghue, "Room"
Charles Randolph and Adam McKay, "The Big Short"

Actor in a motion picture, drama

Bryan Cranston, "Trumbo" | Review | Video Q&A
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs" | Review | Interview
Eddie Redmayne, "The Danish Girl" | Review | Interview
Will Smith, "Concussion"

Actress in a supporting role in a motion picture

Jane Fonda, "Youth"
Jennifer Jason Leigh, "The Hateful Eight"
Helen Mirren, "Trumbo"
Alicia Vikander, "Ex Machina"
Kate Winslet, "Steve Jobs"

Edited by ProudMary

Am posting to say I am leaving Thursday for vacation and will be away until Christmas. Am not taking my laptop, and today I realized that meant I wouldn't be able to follow April along on her re-watch! Also, Deaja, no pressure or anything, but finish this thing before I leave, would you!?!??!  lololololol. Will check in from my phone, but it's pretty cumbersome. Perhaps i will learn to use the browser on my kindle...

• Love 2

Am posting to say I am leaving Thursday for vacation and will be away until Christmas. Am not taking my laptop, and today I realized that meant I wouldn't be able to follow April along on her re-watch! Also, Deaja, no pressure or anything, but finish this thing before I leave, would you!?!??!  lololololol. Will check in from my phone, but it's pretty cumbersome. Perhaps i will learn to use the browser on my kindle...

That's only four episodes tonight and I get to leave early today, so no problem! ;)  

I have failed you, BetsyBoo.  I fell asleep at 9:00 last night, thereby ending my dilemma of watching either the Survivor finale or the last three episodes of The West Wing. I watched neither.  

My deepest apologies.

I have failed you, BetsyBoo.  I fell asleep at 9:00 last night, thereby ending my dilemma of watching either the Survivor finale or the last three episodes of The West Wing. I watched neither.  

My deepest apologies.

We should make you wait for the final 3 episodes until she gets back ...

::giggle::

We should make you wait for the final 3 episodes until she gets back ...

::giggle::

BUT NETFLIX MIGHT TAKE IT OFF THE AIR BY THEN!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME!!!!!!! ;)