Type keyword(s) to search

Best of Friends: Your Favorite Moments

Madness

In The One Where Chandler Crosses the Line:

Kathy: You have great hair.

Chandler: Thanks. I grow it myself.

I love Paget Brewster and Matthew Perry together. I wish that thread had lasted longer. Yes, yes, I know: once a cheater, always a cheater. Still.

• Love 8

I love this thread. The videotape of Rachel and Ross having sex is one of my favorites- I've watched that episode about three times this week. Ross' happiness at the reveal of the hiking storyline is awesome- his comedic timing was the best on the show.

I also love at Monica and Chandler's wedding and the agony on Ross's face when the big kid was dancing on his feet.

• Love 3

The only thing that bothered me about that episode-and it's one of my favorites-is that when Ross declared a tie, there were still questions on the board. If there would have been a throwaway line like "time's up, we have a tie!" it would have explained why they didn't use all the questions.

Actually, it's explained at the start of this clip, where Ross says each team will answer 10 questions.  There were 20 questions on the board for each team, and they got to strategize by choosing the categories.

• Love 1

In the episode where Chandler and Monica go on their first (disastrous) trip together and try to hide it from Joey, I had forgotten how much I love Joey asking Chandler, "I'm just going to ask you this one more time....were you or were you not on a gay cruise???" The line delivery cracks me up every time!

Also, in the one with Ross's grant, I absolutely love the scene in Benji's office where Charlie confronts him about wanting to get her back and the two of them have a touching reunion right in front of Ross. The whole scene is hilarious, and I especially love Ross saying, "sweetie, this conversation is starting to make me uncomfortable..." David Schwimmer is awesome in that scene! 

• Love 1

I especially love Ross saying, "sweetie, this conversation is starting to make me uncomfortable..." David Schwimmer is awesome in that scene!

Have you seen the bloopers for this scene? They barely made it through once without losing it. So funny!

• Love 3
Have you seen the bloopers for this scene? They barely made it through once without losing it. So funny!

Ross playing the bagpipes has never been the same for me since seeing the bloopers.  Now I look at Aniston and Kudrow, especially JA.  She never did make it through the scene without breaking and for some reason that cracks me up even more.

• Love 4

Ross playing the bagpipes has never been the same for me since seeing the bloopers.  Now I look at Aniston and Kudrow, especially JA.  She never did make it through the scene without breaking and for some reason that cracks me up even more.

Phoebe and her "eeeeeeeeeeee"s!

• Love 14

That video is one of the few things that is guaranteed to actually make me cry laughing any time I watch it. The fact that they ended up with any even halfway-usable footage is incredible. And I can't fault JA for not being able to ever totally keep it together.

• Love 6

I'm watching TOW Joey Loses His Insurance right now and dying at Joey's audition. Hey Timmy... I've got... a... *groooan* surprise... for you

Also at Jennifer Aniston's delivery when she's pretending to have an Indian accent in Ross's class. "Yes, Bombay is very very nice this time of year." I've been watching a lot of reruns on TBS this week and have noticed a touch that Jennifer does consistently through all seasons that makes Rachel seem so real and natural to me - at various times (getting off a good one-liner, thinking hard, listening to a weird story) Rachel will put one of her hands up and scratch/stroke her neck right under her chin, and it makes me wonder if that's something Jennifer does in real life or if she really just was able to get so physically into character! She does it during the Bombay line and it just adds to the moment, cracks me up

Edited by SeenYouWitKieffah
  • Love 4

I love the whole storyline with Phoebes cookies.

"Nes-lay toolhouzz" "NESTLE TOLLHOUSE?!" "You Americans always butcher the French language"

And Monica's thunder: "Nobody was supposed to see us kissing!" "Oh is that why you did in the secret hallway where nobody ever goes?" Courteney's delivery kills me.

• Love 4

Great thread! I love most of the stuff that's already been mentioned, especially "moo point."

Probably my favorite Phoebe line -- from S1, maybe the pilot-- Ross asks her to help him move, and she says, "I wish I could, but I don't want to."

And in TOW With All the Kissing, after Rachel and Phoebe walk in on Chandler and Monica kissing, and he gives the other girls a big kiss, I just like love the way he struts out of the room.

I go back and forth with whether Chandler or Joey is my favorite, and I really like their friendship. It's my favorite relationship on the show.

• Love 5

My favorite episode is the one where Ross hears Phoebe never had a bike so he buys her one and then she won't ride it so he tells her she's breaking the bike's spirit. It was so sweet. 

I love all the Eddie episodes. That guy was just so weird and random. 

• Love 5

The London episodes have so many great moments. Some of my favorites:

Ross and Monica are talking about her convincing Emily to postpone the wedding when Monica starts talking about little girls and how they dream about their perfect wedding, without missing a beat, Chandler opens the bathroom door and throws a box of tissue to Ross. Then Joey "I hope they don't think we went in there because of them" Chandler "I hope they did"

Then after the wedding, Monica and Chandler are looking for a place to have sex and wind up the Honeymoon suite, only for Ross to come in:

Ross: Would you guys mind staying here for a little while?

Monica: Well we have to get up early to catch a plane

Chandler: Yes, it's a very large plane

• Love 3

FYI and not sure if this goes in "best" or "worst" category, but TBS is showing all 10 of the Thanksgiving episodes on Thursday in order starting at 10am CST!

I get my second favorite Monica fat suit episode (Prom Video is funnier), but I do love her with the turkey on her head.

I started watching all the Thanksgiving episodes Sunday and so far I am up to The One Where Chandler Hates Dogs.

If I had to rank them, it would be hard. But I think it would go like this:

Best to Worst:

1. The One Where Ross Got High - Absolute favorite here. If nothing else than for the scene where they are all shouting secrets and then Judy goes "That's an awful lot of information to get in 30 seconds."

2. The One with the Rumor - Brad Pitt is hilarious in his role here. "My two greatest enemies-  Rachel Green and complex carbohydrates."

3. The One with All the Thanksgivings - This episode is so great.  From the flashbacks (though I don't like the Fat Monica gag) to Phoebe's way-far flashback, it's solid all the way through.  When they discover Monica brought a carrot to the ER and that means there is a toe in the kitchen, it's so funny.

4. The One with All the Football - Gotta love the Gellar bowl.  And when Joey says that the Netherlands is where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell live, I can't help but laught

5. The One with Chandler in a Box - It has some great lines, but overall it isn't as strong as the top ones, I think.

6. The One Where Underdog Got Away - It's fun looking back on it and how it set up future Thanksgiving episodes, but that's about all I can say.  

7. The One with Rachel's Other Sister - I hate how all the china breaks at the end.  Also, Amy is funny a little, but there was far too much of her.

8. The One with the Late Thanksgiving - I hate this one.  They guilt Monica into cooking them dinner which she doesn't want to do, and then they all blow it off?  

9. The One with the List - It doesn't even feel like a Thanksgiving episode!  And it's very dated watching it now.  But mainly I just think the show got to into the back and forth with Ross and Rachel.

10. The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs - I dislike this one in so many ways.  I hate how Chandler is treated by his friends/wife.  I don't like Rachel's storyline with her assistant. The only redeeming quality of this one is that my friends and I will routinely say something is a "moo point" in homage to Joey.

The Thanksgiving episodes are the best! Can't quibble with your list, deaja, except I'd probably rank TOW the Late Thanksgiving at No. 10. I really dislike that episode. And I also like Christina Applegate as Amy, although the Thanksgiving ep isn't as good as her other appearance.

But TOW Where Ross Got High is just genius, so many great lines. "The mailman didn't steal your Playboys; Ross did." "Well, Hurricane Gloria didn't break the porch swing; Monica did!" And Judy's takedown of everyone was hilarious. "No Rachel, you weren't supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good!" That ep is probably in my top 10 Friends episodes of all time.

• Love 3

The one with Rachel's other sister played by Christina Applegate is my fave just for this moment:

Chandler: So let me just get this straight. So my two friends die; I get Emma; then my wife dies; then Emma, the one tiny ray of hope left in my life, get's taken away from me?
Phoebe:(clapping) There's your movie!

I also like "Late Thanksgiving". I can forgive the characters acting like jerks if it leads to great stuff like Joey ripping half of Ross' shirt and his "Hey!" reaction.

It was by the third year that I realized that the Thanksgiving episode was going to be an annual thing. Most sitcoms have one episode or every other year. It really helped show that the characters were a true family.

Some ranking lists we can debate over:

EW.com

A very 'Friends'-y Thanksgiving: The 5 best episodes

E!:

The Best and Worst Friends Thanksgiving Episodes, Ranked

TVLine:

Friends: The One Where We Rank All the Thanksgiving Episodes

Buzzfeed:

Every “Friends” Thanksgiving Episode, Ranked From Worst To Best

Geeknation:

Celebrate Thanksgiving With Our Look at the Thanksgiving Episodes of “Friends”

And for those who want to use your Thanksgiving leftovers to make your own "Moistmaker" sandwich.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I love "TOW the Joke" where Monica asks Phoebe and Rachel who among them they'd pick to date and Phoebe picks Rachel, since Monica is too high maintenance.

My favorite part is when Chandler (after reciting a speech prepared by Monica about how she's not high maintenance) finally admits that Monica is a little high maintenance, but then says to her, "So they can say that you're high maintenance, but it's okay because...I like maintaining...you."

• Love 5

Also, in the one with Ross's grant, I absolutely love the scene in Benji's office where Charlie confronts him about wanting to get her back and the two of them have a touching reunion right in front of Ross. The whole scene is hilarious, and I especially love Ross saying, "sweetie, this conversation is starting to make me uncomfortable..." David Schwimmer is awesome in that scene! 

I can't seem to find bloopers for the Benji/Charlie scene.  Does anyone have a link? 

Overall, in the blooper reels, Matt LeBlanc seems like the one who does the best job of not breaking character.  I've been impressed.

ETA:  Never mind, I found it.  Season 10, not 9, d'oh!

Edited by Inquisitionist

Overall, in the blooper reels, Matt LeBlanc seems like the one who does the best job of not breaking character. I've been impressed.

I agree. I also notice that Matthew Perry is happy to blow up the scene for a joke, and he always makes me laugh.

• Love 2

I'm watching TOW Joey Loses His Insurance right now and dying at Joey's audition. Hey Timmy... I've got... a... *groooan* surprise... for you

(Dog food commercial)

Joey:  "Purina One.  Pick up a bag today."  (Stands still.)

Woman:  No.  The line is "Pick up" a bag today.  So you pick up the bag.

Joey:  Exactly.

Woman:  (Stares)

Joey:  How about this?  How about "Blah blah blah Purina One.  Point to a bag today."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I love the one where Phoebe is in labor with the triplets and can't stand the Fonzie obsessed doctor. Love it when Ross brings in the new doctor and says "He has no strong feelings for Fonzie or any of the Happy Days Gang".

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 2
On July 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Starscream said:

My favorite bit was near then end of the episode when Rachel catches Joey with the naked picture of Monica and Ross at some point shakes his bottle of tranquilzers and says, "this isn't good for my rage."

I use this quote ALL the time. 

My favorite, along with so many of you guys is "The One Where Everybody Finds Out." It's just awesome from the beginning where they're talking about Ugly Naked Guy's boxes ironically marked "clothes" to Chandler's bulging bicep to Joey not losing any of Phoebe's buttons because "It's not my first time" to Phoebe's "I'm very bendy" to Ross at the end screaming at the window "GET OFF MY SISTER!!!!" 

(Don't know why I never looked at the Friends boards before this... great stuff) 

• Love 5

Maybe I've read too many sad books lately, but when Joey reads Little Women:

Joey: Beth's really sick. Jo's there, but I don't think there's anything she can do.

Rachel: Joey...you wanna put the book in the freezer?"

• Love 5
(edited)

I've definitely felt the need to put a couple books in the freezer when they get too creepy/violent but haven't been able to because they're on my Kindle. But as I've grown older I've really begun to see where Joey was coming from with that one...

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 4

I love the story of when they were shooting the opening credits in the fountain, they'd done it 1,000 times and were cold and tired, and Matthew Perry (in total Chandler fashion) says "I don't remember a time when we weren't in the fountain"

it cracked them all up and rejuvenated them to finish filming

• Love 11

Just watched Phoebe's wedding again and it is one of my favorite TV weddings. The lights, the snow, the steel drum music and Phoebe's dress were all perfect for her. It did bug me that Frank Jr and Alice were not at the wedding (nor Ursula or the birth mom), but it seemed so Phoebe-like. I know a lot of people thought Mike was too bland for her but I understood it. When you grow up without a functional family, part of you longs for some normalcy. Mike was pretty normal, but just quirky enough for Phoebe. And he has "nice eyes".

• Love 7

One of my favorites is TOW in Vegas, when Ross and Rachel are in the hotel room getting drunk and after Rachel has spit out the macadamia nuts:

Ross: Ohh, here’s that Macadamia nut! (he puts it in his mouth) Nope! Something else.

The way he delivers that line and that look on Ross's face as he spits it out just kills me. 

I also love The One on the Beach when Joey is pushing for strip poker and they end up playing strip Happy Days instead. Everyone is picking on Joey to take off his clothes but Monica gets up from the table to talk to Rachel and she has no pants. Cracks me up.

• Love 4

While the story of leaving baby Ben on the bus is not one of my favorites, that episode has the line: "What kind of scary-assed clowns came to your birthday parties?"

I laugh way too loud and long at that.  Every single time.

• Love 4
(edited)

TOW Eddie Movies In, when Chandler and Joey are watching Baywatch together over the phone. Chandler's line: "Well, how could anyone not be in love with Yasmine Bleeth?" It's not the line, but his delivery slays me every single time. I can watch it over and over again and it's never not brilliant.

Edited by Margo Leadbetter
  • Love 4

I never liked Joey or Phoebe, but I always crack up when I see the one in Vegas where Joey is stalking his hand twin and Phoebe is pretending to be Regina Phalange.

• Love 1

Saw "The one where Rachel finds out" last night and even after seeing it about a bzillion times, I still laughed out loud several times, especially "Crystal duck, crystal duck" followed by Joey's "Yeah, that's it, keep rubbing your head, that'll turn back time". Great stuff

• Love 8

There are many favorite moments so I chose one(or two) for each Friend:

Ross: When he was all relaxed and tranquilized after his rage.."Monica?!"..."so I took it". Also the "Fajitas!!..and then spelling out the L O V E...."EEEEE"...Ross has many..Too many to list ;)

Rachel: Running around with the big box packing up Monica.."I'm just mad!" Monica and Rachel switching their famous lines"NOOOO" "I Know!"

Phoebe:To Ross about pregnant Rachel "Good God man, don't anger it"..."Goodbye Ross...{forever}

Joey:At Monica and Chandler's new house.. "You know I'm afraid of little girl ghosts"...On the boat to the Coast Guard "Get outta the way Jackass!!

Monica: To Joey's Hot roommate: "I better not see you in the hall" What Did I Say About The Hall?!"

Chandler:During the game for the apartment When Ross corrects Rachel about how old Chandler was when he touched a girl's breast: 14? No..19.. "Thanks,man"..So simple,but hilarious!!

Edited by 100percent Pain
  • Love 3

In TOW Eddie Won't Go I love when Rachel and Monica get all pissy and slam their bedroom doors and Phoebe is pissed too but she doesn't have a room so she opens and slams closed a box.

And Ross is a way better friend than I am.  While I would help a friend out with a loan for something important, I would not spend two hundred bucks on a ceramic dog.

Sigh. The 90's were so much to me that watching old episodes gives me the warm fuzzies.  I also choke up every single time they do an establishing shot with the World Trade Center in it.

• Love 8

I forgot how much I love the scene when Monica's dad visits her after she breaks up with Richard.  It made sense that he would be the one to check on Monica, and I love that after she goes to sleep he takes advantage of grabbing the cigar and watching TV at her place.  They did a good job of showing the parents just the right amounts and at the right times.

• Love 12

They did a good job of showing the parents just the right amounts and at the right times.

Agreed as to all of the parents-a little of Rachel's father went a long way and explained an awful lot. They were good with the guest stars-a little Janice really went a long way.

• Love 3

There are only two people you can pee in front of once you are an adult: your spouse or partner, and your best friend. Of course, when you are with your friend, you are probably peeing together because you are both drunk, and there is only one available stall in the washroom.

Phoebe is definitely my least favourite Friend, but I was just watching the season 9 episode The One with Phoebe's Birthday Dinner and I absolutely love every Phoebe moment, from avoiding eye contact with the waiter, to yelling at Judy ("PICK UP THE SOCK!!"), to ditching the disaster of a dinner when Mike got off work early. 

• Love 10