Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Boyle-Linetti Wedding

• Start Topic

Gina's mom is finally marrying Boyle's dad, toilet emoji.

I love how the Boyles took the "Son doesn't see the father before the wedding" crap series.

Amy played the french horn in high school...and still does. The smile on my face was exactly like Peralta's. Amy's cute little ring proposal was all kinds of nice and silly.

"I'm cute about everything!" Yep, that's Jake allright.

Loved Holt and Kevin's wedding. "Yes. Yes. We're married!" Holt's speech was also fantastic, but I want Terry Crews to read all speeches from now on, no matter how choked up he gets from them.

• Love 2
"I'm cute about everything!" Yep, that's Jake allright.

This was straight out of Tom Haverford's playbook, though -- "I'm cute together with everyone."

Anyways, what's the song playing in the background when Rosa and Nick Cannon are kissing?  Thanks.

• Love 1

This may be that second glass of wine talking, but love, love, love.

I laughed out loud multiple times. Jake and Amy were awesome and the Captain planning his speech, just... so good.

"How is this song playing?"

• Love 4

Anyways, what's the song playing in the background when Rosa and Nick Cannon are kissing?  Thanks.

I know they played "Got to Give it Up" by Marvin Gaye near the end, but I can't swear it was during the (wonderful) kiss. 

• Love 1

How is it Holt is so humorless but almost never fails to crack me up. I can't wait for his wedding. I hope he asks Jake to be his best man.

I didn't enjoy much of the wedding stuff. I was hoping Lunn would back out and that would be the end of Sandra Bernhard. About the only good part was Boyle having to keep re-writing his speech.

I loved the old lady getting handsy at the end.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved this episode! Holt/Kevin were just too cute for words, and Gina was finally consistently funny and competent. Her and Boyle are really this season's discovery, I wasn't a fan of both of them last year, but together, they just shine. 

Jake/Amy went about as well as I've predicted, and I was really sad to see Amy's nice dress get ruined. But at least she caught her guy, so yay.

Marcus was probably the only thing that didn't work for me this episode, they really should have saved this stuff with Rosa's character development for a more interesting love interest. They have zero dynamic and he's just too random.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
(edited)

The wedding doubts were tired. Seen it before, with characters I cared about a hell of a lot more than Boyle's dad, he of about two prior appearances on the show. And Gina was pretty much back to her most hideous form, but a bit funnier than usual. Though Charles and his dad are the lowest of low-hanging fruit. Still, that one line about Boyle's dad living under a bridge and using a puddle as a mirror got a laugh out of me.

Terry crying was fantastic, and I continue to love the way this show drops in flashback gags like the gym wedding. It's a shame he couldn't make the speech, but "don't worry [Holt is] good at... emotion," But he had a great little moment with Kevin, which briefly unclogged him. Loved that little "they were answers on Jeopardy" "I think you mean questions" bit. Those two are perfectly suited.

Of course, the rule is that any wedding must have a mislaid ring at some point. It was kind of obvious, but the pay off with Amy's fake proposal was great. Jake and Amy were adorable, and so much fun. This is why I've been frustrated at their lack of scenes together for the last half dozen episodes. They just spark so well, and have such a believable friendship. And they actually openly talk about their mutual crushes, even if they pretend "it's all in the past".

I'm kind of hoping that this completely angst free approach to their relationship will continue when they do inevitably get together. Because I really enjoy both characters, and I've seen too many shows completely screw up when it comes to trying to write Television Romance, and end up ruining things.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 6

Okay, Terry tearing up at the Oatmeal line, and Rosa giving him the side-eye made me laugh way harder than it should have.  I guess that was just a lot of good work setting it up.

• Love 2

This was such a collection of TV wedding cliches! One party has doubts about going through with the ceremony, the ring gets lost, the ring gets stuck on someone's finger, everything seems to go totally wrong only to work out just right after all, etc. I actually loved that Amy and Jake didn't end up slow dancing in the final scene---it was one of the only predictable cliches they steered clear from. That said, this was a really enjoyable episode with lots of great little moments. I'm not finding this show funny, exactly, but it's just so delightful and fun to watch and filled with such likable (non-Gina) characters that I don't care. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Never thought I'd say this but Sandra Bernhard looked great. Hearing Stephen Root sound like Bill from King of the HiIl outside the cartoon is weird. I love Jake's "Bond Girl" name for Amy and Captain Holt's speech and him looking at Kevin.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Can't believe they reference Gina's psychic from all the way back in episode two last season.  The continuity on this show is amazing.

So, the wedding finally arrives and they pretty much hit every sitcom-trope they could.  Jake looses the ring, finds it again and it gets stuck on his finger, and Boyle's dad gets cold feet.  At least nothing happened to the cake.  Still, there was enough going on that I still laughed, despite the obvious troupes.  Jake and Amy playing cops while dressed to the nines was great (granted, I'm not going to complain about anything that gets Melissa Fumero in that dress), and I still like that whatever feelings they might still have, doesn't stop their banter and interactions.  Jake/Amy are just hilarious together, and as long as they stay this way even if they go the romantic route or not, I'm perfectly fine.

The cold feet stuff didn't work as well for me, but Stephen Root and Joe Lo Truglio still sold it, and this was probably the most I've enjoyed Gina.  Actually had some funny lines, and I actually bought her being the one to resolve it.  Much more of this Gina, please. I do hope we check in on their parents from time to time.

Felt like Rosa got the shaft this episode, but still had great reaction shots as always, and I loved her "There.... yellow." response to Gina's question about the flowers.

Unsurprisingly, Terry and Holt were made of win.  Loved Terry officiating a body-builder wedding, and how he kept getting emotional, that Holt had to do this one.  But, I really loved how it was resolved by Holt seeing Kevin in the wedding, and that made him give an emotional speech.  Even though we don't see him all that much, I really love how Kevin is truly important to Holt, and how much they love each other.  I just find their marriage and relationship so refreshing.

Fun episode.

• Love 2

I loved it from start to finish--tired wedding tropes be damned!  And while they may have depended on some old clichés like "the groom gets cold feet," they still manage to make it work in their quirky B99-way, like Boyle's dad's 4th and 5th marriage being a "Catfish" situation--with the same kid twice!

And damn, if Air Supply isn't the epitome of middle school love angst, I don't know WHAT is. Yeah, I'm looking at YOU, Eric IForgetHisLastNameButNotHis Face. All Out of Love, indeed. 

• Love 6

I loved this episode, especially the tiny, adorable steps that Jake and Amy took toward each other. But, I refuse to believe that Amy (or Holt... or Kevin...or Terry... or even Gina) don't know about using butter to get a stuck ring off someone's finger.

I loved this episode, especially the tiny, adorable steps that Jake and Amy took toward each other. But, I refuse to believe that Amy (or Holt... or Kevin...or Terry... or even Gina) don't know about using butter to get a stuck ring off someone's finger.

Or just plain old soap and water!

Or just plain old soap and water!

When you have Terry, you don't need any of that crap. Jake's lucky he still has that finger.

• Love 6

Weddings are pretty played out as far as TV shows go. I don't think that's news to anyone, so adding some fresh spins to it is good. It doesn't quite top Winston trying to prank Cece's wedding on New Girl for me, but there was a lot to like about this episode.

I think it took a real risk, in that Jake was more of B Plot in this one and Let Gina and Boyle run point. Holt barely had any lines until he started working on the speach, and his moments with Kevin were very touching.

Stephanie Beatriz is going to break out as a result of her work on this show, she blends a lot of emotion.

• Love 1

I also didn't mind the sitcom wedding tropes because everything was funny and well-executed. Stephen Root and Sandra Bernhart are so great. I agree that SB looked really good. I loved her wedding dress. I love her relationship with Gina, and for that matter I love the Boyle boys' relationship, too.

Holt was magnificent as usual. 

My one complaint is Marcus, or more precisely, Nick Cannon. He brings nothing to the show.

• Love 3
(edited)

My fav moment was when Boyle went to have the DJ put Kokomo on and then Rosa and Nick Cannon dude had their moment and started kissing....and Boyle comes back to continue talking about Kokomo, says they are having their own little moment and then just dances and mugs for the camera in the small space in between their heads.  Brilliance.  

Edited by shelley1005
  • Love 4

I love Joe Lo Truglio. During the wedding you can see him literally bouncing up and down behind his dad during the vows and then he mouths the words along, as well. He brings such joy to what could have been a joke of a character.

I also hope they can maintain the lightness and fun of Amy and Jake's relationship. The looks they exchanged at the end - when Jake thought Amy was asking him to dance and then when he was dancing with the handsy aunt - were really sweet. Plus I loved that Jake jumped in without missing a beat, no grimace at dancing with an old lady and calling her m'lady. Very cute.

Amy: Maxi pad?

Jake: I don't know! I didn't want to make the name too sexual and I panicked!

• Love 10

I love Joe Lo Truglio. During the wedding you can see him literally bouncing up and down behind his dad during the vows and then he mouths the words along, as well. He brings such joy to what could have been a joke of a character.

I also noticed the bouncing and it made me smile, too. Joe Lo Truglio definitely makes Boyle into more than he might've been.

Like others have said, so many tropes, but when they're executed well they still work. I loved it. I cracked up so much at Holt's "I think you mean questions" line at the end. He and Kevin really are a perfect couple. Wedding episode, please.

My one peeve was Amy comparing her perp to Eddie Fung to get Jake on board. I get why that had to be done in the context of the Jenny/Fung storyline of this episode, but my first thought was "No, he's your Doug Judy!"

Oh, random note - I knew I recognised that I'm All Out of Love song, but I couldn't remember where I'd heard it, and it was driving me nuts until it suddenly hit me: it was used on Parks and Recreation way back in season 2. Well, sort of, heh.

I loved how Charles knew exactly who Jake was referring to when he mentioned Julia Whateverhernamewasfromthebahmitzvah.  "I'll never forgive that bitch for what she did to you!"  bwahahaha

Ha I LOVED this too!  Mostly because my friends and I do this. For instance, anytime I mention the name "William *Redacted* *Redacted*" they scowl and say "I HATE that guy." With vitriol.  And nope, none of them have ever met him (a former boss. Oh and evil incarnate.)

Rosa dressed up reminds us that Stephanie Beatriz is a stunning beauty under all that.

I hope they still go slow with Rosa's romance with Marcus, and don't run out of storyline before it drags.

Ironic (yet hilarious) that Jake made a Gollum/Lord of the Rings reference and Gina blew him off, then making a Hobbit reference a few moments later.

Captain Holt and Kevin are very lucky they found each other. They are just so compatible, its a little scary. I love that the show took this opportunity to look at their marriage a little bit. This show is hilarious, but its also so endearingly sweet.  

"How is this song playing?!?!" plus Jake`s face made me almost spill my drink I laughed so hard. He and Amy are just so cute. If they do finally go there with them, I`ll actually be ok with it. In fact...I think I might ship it. God help me. 

• Love 3

On a totally shallow note, I thought Gina looked really pretty in her bridesmaid dress.  It really brought out the color of her eyes, and in certain shots in which the lighting was particularly flattering, I thought she looked quite stunning.

• Love 2
(edited)
I'm kind of hoping that this completely angst free approach to their relationship will continue when they do inevitably get together. Because I really enjoy both characters, and I've seen too many shows completely screw up when it comes to trying to write Television Romance, and end up ruining things.

B99 is done by the Parks and Rec people, right? If so, I'm not even remotely worried. I honestly can't think of a show which pulled off so many different relationships so well...and with none of them sabotaging the ensemble nature of the show (IMO).

Holt and Kevin are adorable, dammit. They seem so cold and emotionless, yet, in ONE short look between them, their eyes warm and a hint of a smile crosses their faces and I am a puddle of feelings. :)  And then, near the end, Holt mentions "re-doing" their wedding and Kevin gets this happily delighted look on his face...then the hand-holding...and the Jeopardy teasing...GAH!!! Too cute. Bastards!

Jake and Amy were fun. I was curious as to why they were driving together to the wedding. Amy looked amazing in that pink dress; I was sorry to see it go. :(

I see their romantic "past" was referred to again now that Sophia is safely history.

Terry crying through his emotional speech was gold. Love how they are totally turning the big manly man stereotype on its head.

Didn't completely hate Gina and I guess her bitchiness ("I brought a spare dress for you because I knew I'd hate what you were wearing") paid off in the end. I suppose Gina's efforts to ensure that her mother was happy and had a perfect wedding is a somewhat redeeming quality to a usually odious character.

Boyle is a golden retriever puppy. Full of light and love and happiness, but he may pee on you in his excitement. You will be annoyed when he fucks up like that but love him anyway.

Rosa looked amazing in her dress and I'm glad that the Boyle/Rosa friendship is still intact, but good God, could she and Marcus have LESS chemistry? Jesus Christ. It's painful. Thanks to whichever person arranged to have Boyle's face pop up during their kiss so that I had something to distract me from the lackluster liplock on my screen.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 5

Massively late to the party but I've just watched and OMG I flove these people.  Every interaction between Jake & Amy is amazing.  Holt & Terry are amazing. I just can't even.  I FLOVE THEM ALL.  Also, I would totally use those vows and I loved that wedding dress.

What does Jake say as he's walking away from Amy with the great-aunt?  Before "she's very handsy"?

Edited by dusang

What does Jake say as he's walking away from Amy with the great-aunt?  Before "she's very handsy"?

Not sure if you ever got an answer to this or figured it out but I'm pretty sure it was "oh you"!  (I can't lie, I've watched Jake and Amy's interactions in this episode an embarrassing number of times).

tumblr_nl03k6kTlK1qcql1co8_250.gif

• Love 1

Not sure if you ever got an answer to this or figured it out but I'm pretty sure it was "oh you"!  (I can't lie, I've watched Jake and Amy's interactions in this episode an embarrassing number of times).

tumblr_nl03k6kTlK1qcql1co8_250.gif

Or perhaps, "Owe you"?  They are pretty adorable.  I like how that move could have come off as a little bitchy with another character (on another show) but between Jake & Amy it's just part of the flow.