Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Invites and Ride-Alongside

It's from the movie 'Sling Blade" It's about a slightly mentally challenged man who was sent to the state mental hospital when he was a child for murdering his mother and her lover. The movie begins when he is older and is being released into society, despite not really having the social skills to cope. John David reminds me of this man, in both looks and social graces.

Thanks !

I could only watch half the show.  Ugh.

JD and Jana - good for you two!  Hang onto your singleness and don't rush and marry the first person that comes a courtin.  (Although I feel sorry for Jana because she does need to escape having to take care of kids every.single.damn.day!)

I sure hope that Dill went to visit his mom!  Seriously, she was in the hospital!  Jill could have laid her seat back and tried to sleep the whole ride there.  I sure hope they made the effort.  Don't let it be all about her family like my brother has done.  He regretted it when my mom suddenly died.

• Love 3

Why was Jinger alone when she went to meet Bin at the jewelry store?

that's the first thing i thought "WHERE IS HER CHAPERONE!?!?!"   But good for her if she was allowed to go alone. 

• Love 1

Is JD getting paid for any of these jobs or are they just TLC setups/volunteer positions? The reason I ask is because in my area heavy equipment operators make great money If he is in fact doing construction he might be doing pretty well for himself.

(edited)

Is JD getting paid for any of these jobs or are they just TLC setups/volunteer positions? The reason I ask is because in my area heavy equipment operators make great money If he is in fact doing construction he might be doing pretty well for himself.

I hope he is if they're trying to get him married to a woman who doesn't/won't be working. I'd love to know how much he's making just out of curiosity.

I do find the shows somewhat boring, but I do get very interested when there's a new courting. I like to see the new man or woman and make my opinions on the match. I'm going to be very interested when Jana and JD match up to see if the get googly eyes. I can't quite picture it.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am sure it was a TLC stop but STILL

Traffic stops are REALLY REALLY dangerous for police officers.( many get shot pulling people over)

JD should have been pissed. A moment of distraction on a stop could lead to death or serious injury or even just the guy getting away. 

Whether the traffic stop was set-up by TLC or not - and I think it was - I doubt that Boob is EVER going to listen to or follow directions from one of his own kids. After all, he's the all-knowing, all-powerful Dad. He'll do just what he pleases...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

I find it strange that John David went from being an elected constable to becoming a member of the Tontitown, Arkansas Police Department without a syllable of mention by the Duggars....when did this happen? Can you be both constable and a police officer for a municipality at the same time?

I'm sure his dad suggested he hook up with the PD for benefits, retirement, etc., as Jim Bob has become even more financially saavy and realizes the future needs to be provided for....so get what you can, boy! He wants to guide all his sons well, but not as well as he, himself, as he has to remain at the top of the totem pole...He wants good sons in law from his daughters, good looking, educated enough, yet make them "offers they can't refuse" in starting out in life, so they remain beholding to him and he still has his daughters' gratitude to Pops, for providing "nice things"....he's no dummy.

John David is a volunteer officer. http://www.ibtimes.com/john-david-duggar-courting-19-kids-counting-family-speaks-out-about-dating-rumors-1835736 I would love to know how a volunteer officer can have a ride along. Makes me think about the police chief when he allows JB to ride with JD. I would be embarrassed to be associated with JD in a law enforcement capacity after seeing the episode last night. Imo, it makes the whole department look bad.

Here in NJ John-David would be nothing more than a flashlight or mall cop unless he went to an actual formal police academy.

Actually that's not totally accurate, he could also be in a local 'Code Enforcement' division who writes up code violations for people who don't shovel their sidewalk within 24 hours after a storm. Basically, JD is a local or county hillbilly security guard. Not that I'm criticizing his job. All jobs done honorably in my opinion is decent work. It's just that TLC makes it appear that he's this big time cop. I don't think he is. Go get him girls!

• Love 5

I think they should have chosen one portrayal of JD and stuck with it -- is he a construction worker or a cop? Clearly he's not a real cop -- just a volunteer, despite the uniform and badge -- so that's not making any money. Why not hold him out as a construction guy -- those guys can do well financially, can often own their own businesses etc. I think he has some equipment and takes on construction projects here and there, but I'm not clear whether that's a 40 hr/wk gig for him; nothing wrong with taking on projects here and there -- I think he mentioned once that he was clearing land for a bank -- after all that's how solo businesses often get started, but you'd think by age 25 he'd have such a business established already with his name on an office and/or trucks some place and a few guys working for him. After all - he was done home schooling at age 18, if not earlier -- what's he been doing for the last 7 yrs??

I felt bad for Cathy when she said -- hopefully you can visit and got a stunned silence type of response, incl from her own son -- and then quickly changed to "but Facetime/Skype is good too." I'm surprised Derick didn't jump out there and say "yes Jill's starting to feel a bit better so we're going to come in the next 2 weeks, we'll Facetime w you once you're in Omaha to pick the dates." I mean isn't that what spouses sometimes do - volunteer the other spouse for some family commitment (and the woman is his ONLY parent with cancer, it's not like he's volunteering to help great aunt Judy with a bake sale) and then the other spouse goes along or maybe they fight about it a bit and then the other spouse goes along or the spouse who did the talking takes care of the commitment alone??

• Love 4

TLC should not be the only who should be blame for pretending John David is a big shot law enforcement officer. JB needs to take a lot of the blame also. I did find it interesting when JD said he was an officer because of  community service. Is he doing this because he wants to, or did JB and Michelle allowed it to say a big FU!!!  moment to the heathen masses who dare question how they raise their children. JB certainly showed no respect for the uniform and law enforcement agencies during last night's episode.

John David is a volunteer officer. http://www.ibtimes.com/john-david-duggar-courting-19-kids-counting-family-speaks-out-about-dating-rumors-1835736 I would love to know how a volunteer officer can have a ride along. Makes me think about the police chief when he allows JB to ride with JD. I would be embarrassed to be associated with JD in a law enforcement capacity after seeing the episode last night. Imo, it makes the whole department look bad.

I wonder how many bags of weed were sold and how many bottles of liquor walked out of the liquor store while those two slack jawed yokels were out playing Hee Haw like the fuckaround gang. I actually snorted when JB came running back like a Welshman with the powdered donuts!
  • Love 7

Absolom, I agree. Derick is turning out to be a dud. For months we've been debating how and why a seemingly on the ball guy like Derick would hook up with the Duggars. I think it all makes sense now. He fits in with this family perfectly.

• Love 4

Did the store JB went into sell alcohol, cigarettes and condoms? JD makes Barney Fife look like a Rhode Scholar. They must be hard up for law enforcement officers in a town with a population of over 2,000. Do they not have a sheriff department and state law enforcement officers to help patrol and serve the citizens?

Absolom, I agree. Derick is turning out to be a dud. For months we've been debating how and why a seemingly on the ball guy like Derick would hook up with the Duggars. I think it all makes sense now. He fits in with this family perfectly.

I think when it was announced that she was courting Derick -- lots of us (including me) had high hopes that a guy who went to a state u, studied accounting, was into school activities (at least went to every football game), and took a job with corporate America just fell for a cute girl and decided he'd appease her parents enough to get a ring on it, and then they'd live the type of life HE was raised in -- i.e. 2 working parents; 2-3 kids; Christian but not quiverful; friends, football, movies/music/events/traveling etc. Turns out he's a dud and is perfectly ok living HER life -- pregnant on the honeymoon; aspiring to fill that quiver; Jill is never going to work; forget him hanging with friends - she won't let him drive to work alone; overbearing inlaws; HER siblings over all the freaking time; his mom is an after thought. Quite the disappointment. I think the only think on which he may be influencing her is that he took her to Broadway and they seem to go to UA football games -- so maybe he's opening her mind a tiny bit, but I still don't think they're the type of couple that can turn on CNN and meaningfully talk about the world beyond "it's God's will." He demonstrated in this episode that whatever dumb activity her family had going on in that timeframe came before his own mother heading to another state as ill as she was . . . .

• Love 18

Jana had her Bachelorette episode a couple of years ago. Remember when they dedicated an entire episode showing what a Godly young woman she was at Gothard Indoctrination Camp? Those are the qualities Godly young men are looking for in a woman. It comes off differently than showing what a MAN JD has become; in that case, they have to sell the fact that he can support a wife, and here's what he does. Jana? Just has to be Godly enough to be submissive. 

Abstract, I'd forgotten about the three types of husband as per Pearl. Boob would definitely be the Visionary. How do you submit to one? How would a dreamer even know you were being submissive? 

I didn't see the Jana one. Did they do the Proverbs 31 woman who deals in international commerce?

• Love 1

Here in NJ John-David would be nothing more than a flashlight or mall cop unless he went to an actual formal police academy.

Actually that's not totally accurate, he could also be in a local 'Code Enforcement' division who writes up code violations for people who don't shovel their sidewalk within 24 hours after a storm. Basically, JD is a local or county hillbilly security guard. Not that I'm criticizing his job. All jobs done honorably in my opinion is decent work. It's just that TLC makes it appear that he's this big time cop. I don't think he is. Go get him girls!

This is what I was thinking all through the John "Sling Blade" David episode. Where I live, we see volunteer cops only when there's a big community event, a fire or a traffic accident. That's when they get to put on fluorescent orange vests and caps and direct traffic. That's it. They don't have official, equipped police vehicles. They don't pull over traffic violators. They don't enforce laws or investigate crime. They certainly don't have their dads along for the fun - at any time. They don't have guns or any other weapons that I've ever seen, although they do get a pretty jazzy orange "lightsaver" for directing traffic at night. Give it up, JD - you're not a trained cop. You're not even an untrained cop. With all due respect to the serious and community-minded folks out there who volunteer in this respect in their regions...

• Love 4

See I thought JD looked better and happier than he ever has.

Not that he's a good looking catch, but he definitely has clearer skin, and he didn't look sleepy or out-of-it.

And I applaud him for volunteering his time in a safety position. Yeah, maybe it's not glamorous, but if he only did CPR once on an accident victim, or helped birth a baby coming too quickly on the side of the road, then it's all worth it.

• Love 7

I didn't see the Jana one. Did they do the Proverbs 31 woman who deals in international commerce?

LOL! No mentions of Proverbs 31. Sadly, even as a group leader at Journey to the Heart, she still had to share a bedroom - and a BED! - with the co-leader. Poor girl can never catch a break, but of course, that's Gothard and his "accountability" bullshit at work.

I wonder who goes to work with JD now that Joe is off to college? He was around last fall, probably out of camera range during the EXCAVATOR shoot. Josiah doesn't strike me as the blue-collar work type. Does JD always have to have someone always ride along with him? If not, why do the guys of a certain age have different rules than the young women? I doubt Jana can go shopping alone; she probably has to take at least Josie with her so she doesn't potentially ride off into the sunset. And let's face it: that's exactly why Gothard has that rule in place. 

• Love 5

Sew Sumi, Yes, you are correct; I agree with your post...

I also find it disgusting that the girls at Journey to the Heart actually share beds with each other? Poor Jana can't catch a break and have a bed to herself...Isn't Gothard concerned if maybe one of those girls may be gay and struggling with it? I find sharing a bed with a perfect stranger to be out of line in keeping with their modesty standards...a room, yes, but not a bed; but that's just my opinion.

• Love 6

And I applaud him for volunteering his time in a safety position. Yeah, maybe it's not glamorous, but if he only did CPR once on an accident victim, or helped birth a baby coming too quickly on the side of the road, then it's all worth it.

Here is what I really wonder- DO you think JD would deliver a womans baby? I think he would call and wait and hold her hand and wait for the actual police or EMTs...I do not think for one second that this sheltered, fundie, totally untrained person would for a second stick his head between a womans legs and assist. Most Regular people wouldn't even do that!

He would never pass an academy, I certainly would not want him assisting me in a medical emergency. Also 9/10 times when their is any sort of medical emergency in persons home...the person in question is naked. Don't ask me why- but my DH Is a police officer and he says they are always always naked. What would JD do? you cant NIKE when someone needs CPR or something. 

• Love 7

JD is a volunteer fireman/EMT. I did read someplace on the internet that a few of his sisters joined the volunteer fire department to keep a close eye on him to make sure no hussies defrauded him. I would not want someone touching me in a life and death situation if he is afraid of being defrauded in the field. I want someone mature and someone wanting to help his or her fellow citizens out (not someone who had to get permission from mommy and daddy and watched by his sisters.)

Here is what I really wonder- DO you think JD would deliver a womans baby? I think he would call and wait and hold her hand and wait for the actual police or EMTs...I do not think for one second that this sheltered, fundie, totally untrained person would for a second stick his head between a womans legs and assist. Most Regular people wouldn't even do that!

He would never pass an academy, I certainly would not want him assisting me in a medical emergency. Also 9/10 times when their is any sort of medical emergency in persons home...the person in question is naked. Don't ask me why- but my DH Is a police officer and he says they are always always naked. What would JD do? you cant NIKE when someone needs CPR or something.

That is so funny about the naked thing. Over the summer, we had to call 911 for a wound on my leg that was gushing blood & wouldn't stop. At the time, I had on shorter shorts that I would never wear outside my house. I was seriously thinking about asking the paramedics if I could change before going to the hospital but at that point I was getting dizzy & light headed so I let it go.

Like you said, what would JD do? He had to know by becoming any type of emergency person, he would come across people (women) that aren't following modesty standards. You can't pick and choose.

• Love 2

I agree JD seemed very relaxed and happy with Michelle, which was surprising because I never figured she was especially close to him.

I'm also going to cut the kid some slack in regards to his job. Boob was the one making a mockery of law enforcement, not JD. These kids are trained to obey their parents. I'll bet JD didn't want to film the ride along but didn't feel comfortable saying no to his father and the producers.

• Love 3

If JD cannot stand up to daddy and TLC and let them run shot gun over his life, he should not be in law enforcement. He is twenty five year old, and someone who is trained to obey their parents to the point where he is at is a danger to himself, his follow officers, other emergency personnel, and the people he is suppose to protect and serve. He is in the big league now, not Duggar/TLC/Gothard lala land. If I pulled this type of crap that JD and JB did, I would be kick out of the volunteer program so fast my behind would not have been hit by the door on the way out.

Pickles and Hairspray posted the Arkansas state page about what a constable does. Basically, it's mall cop level work, and the page is vague. it was like reading a resume that's all flash and no substance.

The police auction old cars all the time. I know several people who bought them because used crown victoras are really powerful cars, and cheap to maintain. John David Blart probably got the car that way.

• Love 1

My apologies for the link not working. I hate that. If you google " Duggar brothers save girl 6, from car accident " the article comes up. It was interesting to read, as that article had JD speaking clearer and more forcefully in his convictions as a volunteer fireman than he has ever been shown on 19 kids and counting.

• Love 2

My apologies for the link not working. I hate that. If you google " Duggar brothers save girl 6, from car accident " the article comes up. It was interesting to read, as that article had JD speaking clearer and more forcefully in his convictions as a volunteer fireman than he has ever been shown on 19 kids and counting.

Thats awesome of him- however an unconscious, fully clothed little girl is hardly a test. I still maintain that if he had to really interact up close and personal with a fully naked adult he would run for it.

When he does CPR on a naked dirty crackhead I will respect him in a position, lol

• Love 3

If JD cannot stand up to daddy and TLC and let them run shot gun over his life, he should not be in law enforcement. He is twenty five year old, and someone who is trained to obey their parents to the point where he is at is a danger to himself, his follow officers, other emergency personnel, and the people he is suppose to protect and serve. He is in the big league now, not Duggar/TLC/Gothard lala land. If I pulled this type of crap that JD and JB did, I would be kick out of the volunteer program so fast my behind would not have been hit by the door on the way out.

I understand what you mean.  We have to remember that we are basing our opinions on a scripted reality tv show. The producers show us what they want us to see, not what may or may not have happened. As it was in the article I quoted, JD filmed video of his brother using the airbag on the little girl. So, since TLC had access to video of the brothers saving this little girl and chose not to use it, doesn't that make you wonder why? I never saw this on 19 KAC.

If JD would commit himself to serious physical training and lose 25-30 lbs he could apply and pass the physical qualifications for a full time paid firefighter and rank competively among other applicants. It's very competitive and difficult for those to rank high enough to get hired on, but I think if JD would apply himself and work hard he could do it and get hired bc his volunteer status is only a benefit and would be considered as well. I could see JD finding fulfillment as a full-time firefighter. It bothers me that his parents ill-prepare their kids for life.

• Love 4

I see your point of view. I have no idea why this was not shown on the show or even mention on the show. I guess TLC was trying to make it about Michelle and JB spending time with JD, and to show JD being a great catch for some lucky young lady. Personally, I think they bombed at it, but I am sure there are a few girls out there who would jump at courting or marrying JD.

If JD wants to try out for full time firefighting, he needs to do it himself and not blame mommy and daddy for him not succeeding in life. He can get the education and skills to move past volunteering. It is not to his parents to make the decision for him, it is up to him. He is twenty five years old, not five years old.

The more I think of it, the more I wonder if its actually in their contract to grab their phones and start shooting video if something newsworthy happens and the production team isn't there. Remember they grabbed their phones and started shooting video when the young one boy fell into the orchestra pit? I remember thinking how odd, her child fell in a pit and is injured and she's (Michelle) filming him. That would've been my last thought! At the time, I thought they were only using the flashlight app, as it was dark. But, no. They filmed him the whole way through the hospital visit. And TLC used that video.

And you know I can see JB getting free iphones for the family out of a deal like that! 

• Love 1

I could see JD finding fulfillment as a full-time firefighter.

Is that available in his hometown? I don't see a Duggar moving for a job when they are still single.

Our city doesn't have non-volunteer firefighters (but it is competitive to be a volunteer), I figured Tonitown was similar since he is a volunteer firefighter. 

(Wry tone) if the die hard Fundy women aren't watching TV, how are they supposed to watch the JD infomercial? Not to mention that JD is supposed to seek out the woman and contact HER father, not the other way around.

• Love 6

Is that available in his hometown? I don't see a Duggar moving for a job when they are still single.

Our city doesn't have non-volunteer firefighters (but it is competitive to be a volunteer), I figured Tonitown was similar since he is a volunteer firefighter. 

If their town has volunteer policemen then they definitely do not have paid firemen.  That probably doesn't exist except maybe in their biggest city(cities?). 

I see your point of view. I have no idea why this was not shown on the show or even mention on the show. I guess TLC was trying to make it about Michelle and JB spending time with JD, and to show JD being a great catch for some lucky young lady. Personally, I think they bombed at it, but I am sure there are a few girls out there who would jump at courting or marrying JD.

If JD wants to try out for full time firefighting, he needs to do it himself and not blame mommy and daddy for him not succeeding in life. He can get the education and skills to move past volunteering. It is not to his parents to make the decision for him, it is up to him. He is twenty five years old, not five years old.

Once again, more evidence that the producers of 19K&C lack creativity and imagination - and are just plain weak overall. Weeks and weeks of boring wedding preparations for Jill, a two-hour snorefest of repetitive footage for the wedding itself, and now this. Here we have something that is not contrived and clearly broadcast-worthy. But did they use it? Nope. Where do they get these people?

• Love 1

Next week Michelle says she used to make herself sick after she ate. Who wants to bet she never got any therapy for that? Who feels sorry for her, now?

(Wry tone) if the die hard Fundy women aren't watching TV, how are they supposed to watch the JD infomercial? Not to mention that JD is supposed to seek out the woman and contact HER father, not the other way around.

Good point. I guess they feel they have to advertise the merchandise. It doesn't seem like John David is all that interested in settling down himself, but I'm sure Boob is telling him he needs to be. 

(Wry tone) I am sure Fundy women already know about the Duggars, and they may have been able to watch the JD infomercial some how. The Duggars may be considered royality. Look at the way Anna's father was foaming at the mouth over Josh's new job and house in D.C. He acted like he hit the son-in-law jackpot.

I decided to look up the police and sheriff departments where the Duggars live. Yes, I know I have no life esp. since I am home sick for the second day this week. JD is one of three constables in Washington County (1st District Constable.) There is a sheriff department, and I think there are six full time police officers and twelve reserve/volunteer officers in the Tontitown Police Department. How many people live in the county and why the need for some much law enforcement?  I have no clue.