Type keyword(s) to search

Emergency - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

• Love 1

In this corner, showing up out of the blue, the fuzzy ball of hair, Boot! In the other corner, the basset of deadpan, Henry!

We also welcome those who like both.

(Full disclosure: I like Henry best; there seemed to be more humor to be mined, like when Chet tried to teach Henry how to get into the doghouse.)

I totally crushed on John when I was a teen, but watching it now, I like Roy more. when I was a teen, I was '::eyeroll::whatever, Married Guy.'  He totally wasn't supportive of Johnny, you guys! :)  Now I can appreciate Roy for the Sane Man of the paramedics he was.

I like it Actionmage.

I have this saved as a favorite on Hulu and I religiously catch the episodes on MeTV. I love this show so much. And it always felt like the right balance between the rescues, the hospital and the little comedy bits we'd get with Johnny and Roy.

• Love 1

Give me Johnny Gage anytime. He was my first crush too. Oh my. He can still make my heart flutter. I had always hoped that if I ever needed a paramedic, he would look and act like John.

• Love 3

I did not, but then, I didn't know there was one. It looks super-70s.  Too bad someone didn't try to make John's insane card game, the one that seemed as complicated as Fizzbin  (from Star Trek's gangster episode, "A Piece Of The Action".)

Randolph Mantooth is still working and touring around giving talks. He keeps his personal site and FB/Twitter fairly active, and has a blog here.

I loved the Roy/Johnny partnership as much as I loved the Reed/Malloy and Gannon/Friday partnerships.

• Love 1

This still airs in the afternoons on MeTV, if anyone gets that. And I feel like I have to be sure to use the exclamation point when writing it, just like for E!. The exclamation point cracks me up.

Also, Robert Fuller (Kelly Brackett) was an extraordinarily good-looking man.

• Love 3

I was always a Roy fan, but probably because my sister dibsed John first. She also got Dr. Brackett so I got Dr. Early and Nurse Dixie. At the time I was a little disappointed, but now I think I made out pretty well.

I just caught the one with John Travolta as a victim. He couldn't pronounce Johnny Gage's name but we was pretty skinny.

You know what was the absolute best part of this show? Julie London. Her world weary sensuality is the real thing baby. Man. Julie London. Wow.

• Love 1

Robert Fuller continued the line of gruff, but compassionate doctors on TV.

One of the things I liked about Brackett was his ability to apologize when he was wrong. He wasn't happy about it, or begged forgiveness; Brackett just said he was wrong and worked to repair what needed repairing. At least on the job.  Early episodes seemed to have he and Dixie squabbling over stuff and both being stubborn.

Part of the Jack Webb rep company of actors, songwriter Bobby Troup gave us another wise, older doctor with Joe Early.

For those who don't know, Mr. Troup wrote the classic song "Route 66."

Joe didn't personally have tons of not-doctoring stories, but  I recently saw the episode where he has to have heart surgery (and Nick Nolte was one of his surgeons!) and saw the episode where Joe couldn't get the little rubber bit from his stethoscope out of his ear today. Joe was a cool doctor I would've loved meeting, despite the circumstances because he was just a calm dude.

The guys are still best friends, and Tighe served as best man at Mantooth's recent (well, fairly recent) wedding.

I love the performance by Kevin Tighe on Law and Order: Criminal Intent---as a creep-ass doctor.

• Love 2

Kevin was also wonderful on ER as a police officer hiding a physical condition because he didn't want to be put behind a desk.  He was a great baddie on Leverage, too.  Who am I kidding?  He's just great period.

• Love 1

I kinda like this show. I've caught it a number of times in re-runs.  It's so earnest.  It's obvious the producer was more interested in showing how things were actually done in an ER,  or on a paramedic or fire call, than in using big tricks to create excitement.

• Love 1

I used to love this show and so was delighted to find it on Netflix.  Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have all the episodes, but beggars can't be choosers.

What was interesting on the Netflix site was a review written by someone who was inspired by Emergency! to become a paramedic and has remained in the field for years.  He's been involved in thousands of rescues and saved thousands of lives and discovered that others in his field were also inspired by the show.  Not a bad legacy, eh?

He had a chance to interview Randolph Mantooth and learned that both Randy and Kevin were required by the producers to take the full paramedic training course so as to add versimiltude to their scenes.  (Apparently they didn't have to take the exam, though.)

I have one question/observation, though -- has paramedic training and/or the pertinent legislation changed?  I had to go to Emerg back in Feb due to a nasty virus affecting my breathing. The wonderful team who took care of me gave me an IV, with no consult with a doctor or hospital, etc.  I've also noticed on TV (not the most accurate source) that paramedics seem to have a lot more autonomy now, .  Does anyone know what the scoop is?

Edited to add:  I'm in Canada so I realize things may be different up here.  I'm mostly thinking about American TV.  Clarity is a good thing, yes?

Edited by Pippin

Kevin was great as Locke's creepy selfish dad on "Lost".  He has really grown as an actor, and plays "eeevil" quite convincingly.

I'm fairly certain Randy made an uncredited appearance on "ER" playing a Fire Chief trying to deal with a school shooter.  He was also on "Criminal Minds".  He's one of those actors (along with Connor Trinneer) that I would love to see appear more often on the tube.  I read an interview with him where he was saying that he was trying to pitch a new firefighter/rescue show to the networks; this was a couple of years ago.  I don't know if he is still working on this project or not.  I understand he also spends a lot of time lecturing on fire safety and the like.

• Love 1

I think the series was made about 10 years after then Governor Reagan signed the bill making paramedics possible in the pilot and during its run you could see the paramedics become increasingly autonomous. Of the show's spiritual children, 240-Robert, Baywatch, Third Watch and Chicago Fire it, with only the LA County Sheriff rescue squad in 240 Robert and the Baywatch lifeguards being under the same political leadership, the paramedics do seem to have gained more autonomy as the years have passed.

speaking to Jack Webb and his real world focus I was just watching an episode where the squad came under sniper fire and Gage used the Army approved term to seek "concealment" instead of the common civilian usage of "cover" when using a tarp to block the snipers line of sight.

• Love 3

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

One little factoid I found out reading Randolph Mantooth's blog -- every single rescue was based on a real life rescue somewhere.   Not necessarily in the LA area, but somewhere in the US that rescue was in the logs.   THAT's versimilitude.

Of course, I look at how empty the ER at Rampart was all the time and how they only seemed to have a case at a time unless there was a brush fire and laugh.   I am quite sure ERs were never that empty.

• Love 2

I don't know how empty ERs were in 1975 compared to today as the show continued to the later seasons you could see on the status board how many more paramedic units Rampart where controlling from the base station and they emphasized "County" 51 as I supposed other departments were starting there own paramedic programs. In real life there were more hospitals around as the smaller ones have disappeared and the larger survivors grew ever larger.

One thing I noticed on an episode where the boys were field training a new paramedic. Being firefighters first as is the LA County  way it is different from every fire department show since it where there is a paramedic trying to become a firefighter

(edited)

I was a big fan of the series as a pre-teen, and Randolph Mantooth was one of my first tv crushes. After Emergency ended, I don't remember seeing him again until the Criminal Minds episode, "Cold Comfort", which was loaded with HITG actors: in addition to Mantooth, they had Cybil Shepard, Lolita Dadidovitch, Michael Biehn, and Mercedes McNab (Harmony from Buffy/Angel). After seeing that ep, I placed RM in the Mark Harmon wing of the OMG He Got Sexier As He Got Older museum.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Is that Kevin I see in the ads for the new WGN show, Salem? He looks like a man warning the show's lead about something. The voice and the face made me pause, but I might be wrong.

You weren't wrong; that was Kevin.   He was killed off early in the show in a most unpleasant way because he knew something he shouldn't.

• Love 1

Did anyone see yesterday's episode, where a bratty kid is annoying the guys and Gage tells the kid if he doesn't stop that "I know a big guy who will break your arm!"

Everyone in the scene takes this as normal. (Which it pretty much was when I was a kid!) Nowadays, they wouldn't dare write a line like that unless Gage was written to be a secret serial killer or something.

• Like 1

Randolph Mantooth on Walker Texas Ranger this a.m.---as a villain!  (episode "Rainbow's End")

I suggest staying away from Sons of Anarchy if his Walker role disappoints.

• Love 1

Mantooth plays a tribal leader. And thus lends tribal areas to SAMCRO for their illegal weapons business since law enforcement won't enter under normal circumstances

Also, Robert Fuller (Kelly Brackett) was an extraordinarily good-looking man.

If you are as obsessed with him as my cousin you could literally up and move to McKinney TX to live near his eighty year old self.  No joke this actually happened.

• Love 1

I have one question/observation, though -- has paramedic training and/or the pertinent legislation changed?  I had to go to Emerg back in Feb due to a nasty virus affecting my breathing. The wonderful team who took care of me gave me an IV, with no consult with a doctor or hospital, etc.  I've also noticed on TV (not the most accurate source) that paramedics seem to have a lot more autonomy now, .  Does anyone know what the scoop is?

Edited to add:  I'm in Canada so I realize things may be different up here.  I'm mostly thinking about American TV.  Clarity is a good thing, yes?

I was a paramedic in the 80s and we worked from protocols. If the patient had chest pain, per the protocol we would do an EKG, start an IV, apply oxygen, etc. There were separate ones for other illnesses and injuries. The radio communication with the hospitals was mostly to inform them of what type of patient we were bringing in and to give an ETA.

• Love 1

I've noticed the picture quality of the reruns they've been showing on MeTV are a LOT better. They must be using the remastered episodes from the DVDs. The early seasons even have the original intro and theme music again again. The syndiated episodes had been using the later intro with Mantooth and his long hair.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

This is another old show that holds up pretty darn good.  It's because of the cast.  You LIKE these guys (and of course, the fabulous Julie London - although "Girl Talk" keeps ringing in my ears when I see her).  For some reason, Gage and DeSoto still come off as ordinary guys you would like to know, while the guys from CHiPS just seem like blowdried guys who aren't real.

Plus, this show did something good and meaningful for society, while still being entertaining.  Call me corny, but I approve of that.

(I used to use the alert tones from this show as the sound that would play when weather alerts went to my phone.  Used to scare the bejeezus out of everyone.)

Edited by Jipijapa
  • Love 2
One little factoid I found out reading Randolph Mantooth's blog -- every single rescue was based on a real life rescue somewhere.   Not necessarily in the LA area, but somewhere in the US that rescue was in the logs.   THAT's versimilitude.

Now that I'm rewatching on Hulu and MeTV....

I suspect that they cherry picked a disproportionate number of actual rescues where someone was stuck on top of a crane, though.  I think they bought an old crane and figured they had to get their money's worth!  Seriously, it seems like every other one I'm watching they're climbing up on a crane, or scaffolding, or something else horrifying.  

Also, kids seem to play in abandoned buildings a lot.

And someday it would be fun to see just how many minutes of each episode is "emergency vehicles driving around to get to a location."  These days there would NOT be anywhere close to that much footage of the journey unless it was significant to the plot for some reason!