Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Child Star

Cranberry

I wonder if this boy is a demographic strategy for ratings, syndication, and sales.  Any forum users with tweens that watched part of this episode? What did they think of the new kid?

Episode 9 of 13 in their last season they  are not doing anything for ratings and they have no strategy, they hardly have ideas for plot much less PR. .

• Love 3

Another episode where new members show up with barely any effort expended by any of the 4 coaches of the Glee Club.

Another week where they mention that Sectionals are coming up ignoring that they don't have enough members to compete and even if they did they wouldn't have had enough time to get to know each other let alone learn how to harmonise with each other.

Rachel is a terrible teacher, there's like 6 members in the Glee Club, how hard is it to spend 10 minutes with each of them each day.

Oh look another half baked romance sub plot, at least it wasn't propped up by a random 3rd party on camera...

The plot is non existent and nonsensical and I can't take this show seriously while Sue randomly assaults students in the hallway. I found the mini dictator amusing but only because it was a break from the Old people showing up every week for increasingly contrived reasons.

What in the hell was that steaming pile of crap that I just watched? And I say that as someone who has significantly lowered my expectations for Glee due to the last season and a half. The only pro I can come up with was that I didn't have to deal with Kurt and Blaine this week thanks to their honeymoon.

I'd feel bad about this, but: Myron was a wretched little actor, singer and dancer. Normally I'd avoid saying that about kids, but I'm pretty sure he was a Performing Robot created in a plant in China.

I felt terrible thinking it while I was watching the first number he did and it didn't get any better. I really try not to say mean things about kids because they're just kids but his dancing and acting were really not good. His singing was okay, but that's about as positive as I can get.

The one thing that I will say in Myron's defense is that his character is the worst and that isn't the actor's fault. I can't believe that now we are stuck with this Myron kid for the rest of the season. I'm sure that at some point Will is going to tell Rachel that now she gets to know how he felt when she had her diva demands as a student. I really hope they just have Myron in the background the rest of the season because I am not here to watch preteen temper tantrums.

Myron is 13, he's only a year away from typical high school freshman age.  He just seems younger because he's a huge brat.  

I was 13 when I started high school and I didn't skip any grades so hilariously, having such a young member is one of the few realistic things this show has done recently.

Part of me feels like it was such a waste for the show to wait until the ninth season to really give the new kids any significant plots, but I think it may have been a smart move. If they had given them major plots as soon as they were introduced (which is what they did with the New New Directions), there might have been more backlash/resentment against them. By introducing the new new kids and then mostly having them in the background while we spent weeks wondering how long the alumni were going to hang around McKinley, at this point I felt like it was about time that the new new kids got something to do.

The whole "Roderick climbs the rope" was ridiculous. It wasn't a matter of him being lazy or lacking the will to do it. You need a combination of upper body strength and less mass to get up that rope (which is why you sometimes see tiny girls who can do it easily - they might not have really strong arms but they also don't weigh very much). Being put into a high pressure situation doesn't make you magically stronger or lighter. I guess we are supposed to chalk it up to his fear of heights but I still don't buy it.

Alistair didn't want to join his friend Roderick's glee club, but now that hot Spencer likes him he is ready to sing! Okay, actually that one actually makes sense in terms of a teenager's decision making process.

The choreography during "Cool Kids" was so bad that i was getting secondhand embarrassment while watching. When I saw their simple outfits, I initially thought that whatever they were about to do was going to be the New New New Directions' version of "Don't Stop Believin;" but alas, it was not.

I was totally cracking up when Will told the new kids to take this bar mitzvah assignment seriously because sectionals is in two weeks. Never change, Will Schuester. Never change. Wouldn't a better use of time be to spend the next two weeks coming up with a setlist for sectionals? Oh, wait, why do that more than 24 hours before the competition?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Mason and Jane are CUTE and that is the only positive thing I can say about this episode. (also the girl who plays madison has a lovely voice and I would like to see her and Sydney, the singer of Echosmith do a thing together i think their voices would work well)

This was a waste of time and I fell asleep watching it. Also that Myron kid is so so annoying. will we have to put up with him in the ret of the episodes??

also it is high time for sue sylvester to leave. just leave. leave and never return. What was so OTT and awful that it was enjoyable in s1 is gone and now all there is is a lady who insults and demeans kids and is just plain awful. 

This show is getting worse and worse but somehow, i'm still not done

I don't mind a bit of focus on the new noobs, but honestly... I just can't get invested in characters that are introduced and are basically there to fill space. It's not that I don't like the characters - I especially like Jane and the incest twins - but I don't want to spend an episode pairing them off and I couldn't care about their romantic interests. Getting new members to fill out the choir? Fine. But did we need to spend an entire episode just to bring in an obnoxious brat who I hope will stay in the background for the rest of the season.

What amazes me is that for all the flash and bang Glee is trying to squeeze out of this corpse of a show, very little of consequence is being accomplished. ND just kind of blundgers along and Rachel's style of leadership seems to be about not getting in the way of other people's ideas. Kurt has fulfilled his obligation of getting married and otherwise has no real storyline of his own. Same for Blaine. Nothing gets accomplished without six alumni traipsing through McKinley. Sue and Will continue their pointless rivalry that has been stale since season two. And instead of using what little time the show has to give the established characters a respectable sendoff and wrapping up the show in a satisfactory way, only Rachel gets a season-long story arc that's being told in the most contrived manner possible. We're spinning our wheels and besides being disrespectful to the characters and actors who made this show such successful, it's disrespectful to the fans who's stuck by the show well past its expiration date.

It's one thing for Glee to be outrageous. It's another thing for it to be tired and boring.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1

I find the whole idea of bar mitzvah "entrances" incredibly tacky and borderline offensive. The only things a bar mitzvah boy/bat mitzvah girl needs to rehearse or practice are their Torah portion, their Haftarah portion, their speech, and maybe a nice "Thank you for coming" smile for their least favorite relative. I don't know where the whole idea of a big Broadway-style entrance to the reception started, but it needs to stop. I know I sound like a cranky old fart, but I had to get it out somewhere and I apologize for interrupting the show thread.

• Love 2

Don't disagree with you, EAG46 - I used to work at a catering hall while I was in college and I've seen some really lavish bar and bat (for girls) mitzvah parties that cost probably as much as some families would spend on a wedding. It's become about limo entrances, professional entertainment and throwing a boatload of money around. All for a ceremony that's about a child taking their place as an adult in the Jewish community. OK... getting off my soap box.

Spencer seems to have anti-chemistry with every character he interacts with and while I think Alistair is adorable (and the kind of guy I would have been swooning over in high school), I just didn't see any real sparks between them. I was surprised that the most compelling story of the episode was between Mason and Madison. It's rather natural for twins to feel very close and at some point to want to start forging their own identities.

Now, I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm predisposed to be biased against an episode where Kurt doesn't appear (and what kind of idiot in the writer's room decided to entirely sideline two of the most prominent characters for an episode in an already very abbreviated season). But because I generally don't mind the noobs (as well as drank a bottle of really excellent Syrah with some friends from work last night), I was really willing to let the noobs take center stage for what will probably be the only time they're going to be allowed this season. And I found myself just not giving a fuck. Rather than balancing noob stories with established character stories, it was an overload in one direction that had me losing interest not even halfway through the episode. 

I didn't really like the fat shaming/exercise plot with Roderick. To me Roderick is pretty good looking and doesn't seem like the body type that an episode needs to focus on it

So in the Glee world it's not okay to gay-shame or transsexual shame or handicap shame. . . but it's okay for the members of the Glee club to fat shame? Did we forget the lessons with Marley a few seasons back? (of course we forgot Marley and Ryder and the rest of the first new incarnation. . they got shipped off on a deserted island somewhere. . . )

I get the focus on the gay acceptance. .  but is it not possible to write a normal straight relationship? Are all the straight kids at McKinley messed up? 

I really really dislike Spencer. .  . he just seems like a big bully (oh wow, a twist. . . a gay bully?)

I really don't understand the whole Sue thing in the closet (the "hurt locker") So she's pretty much closet insane and they make fun of her?  Like "take-a-gun-to-school-and-shoot-up-the-place" disturbed?  

Painful acting aside, the focus on the newbies would have been fine if they used one of the stories to follow through on Rachel needing to get to know them better. As someone up above said she could have given Madison some advice. Even better would have been if kurt was in this week's episode and the Spencer story was used to show him connecting with Spencer while the twin story was used to show rachel connecting with madison.

• Love 1

Who thought that obnoxious brat was a good idea? I don't like feeling a strong desire to strangle a child.

The new noobs getting some focus for an episode in theory was fine, but it really highlighted what weak actors most of them are. The more new people who show up, the more impressed I am by the original cast's skill on that front. I was rarely taken out of scenes by even the weaker ones. This was just sad. Between the obnoxious kid and the iffy acting, I bailed before the end.

The one thing that I will say in Myron's defense is that his character is the worst and that isn't the actor's fault. I can't believe that now we are stuck with this Myron kid for the rest of the season.

Maybe it will be about the transformative power of the Glee Club on bratty Myron? Yeah, I got nothing. 

Edited by fakeempress

For everyone saying "Hooray, an episode that didn't have the old cast hanging around, it's so unrealistic" - REALLY?!?!? You've invested six years in this show and what you want in the final episodes is to watch MYRON? The new-newbies are mostly nice enough, but if they're going to exist, they should be background characters only here to serve closing the stories of the actual cast. The whole Myron plot and character were such a waste of time. This show literally had a whole portion of a scene spent with him talking about how he pooped his pants. I would have rather watched a filler episode about Artie shopping for new driving gloves.

• Love 6

I didn't dig the fact that football dude (forget his name) stalks Long hair new guy for entire show then long hair apologized to football guy for not responding. Like..what? I rarely think much of this show anymore, I watch, then shrug and move on. But for some reason, I was aggravated by the entire storyline.

Edited by TiredMe

The part from the recap that was most interesting to me was where it said "something called "Cool Kids" by someone called "Echosmith"," because that song is like crazy popular around here. I hear at least parts of it probably twice a day, and I'm not in areas where radios are playing that often. I know it's not as popular everywhere, but I just hear it so much that it's funny to me that not everyone knows it.

The whole Myron plot and character were such a waste of time. This show literally had a whole portion of a scene spent with him talking about how he pooped his pants.

I cringed watching that part, mostly because I thought - Holy shit, someone actually wrote that and thought, "Yeah, good for me! I wrote a scene of a TV show!" And then people actually had to act it out. It was terrible.

Edited by Kick
  • Love 4

I actually liked this episode a lot. I was just so tired of the endless Klaine back and forth and Rachel's insecurity and Santana's supposedly witty put downs that I needed a break. It was nice to see this. And I understand it is silly to spend time on characters we won't see ever again in a few weeks but I like the newbies (mediocre acting aside) and am not upset about this for the most part (done with Sue!) it was nice to let them shine for a moment as they will undoubtedly fade into the background.

And I ask this in all sincerity: what is there that needs to be wrapped up? I see people complaining that we shouldn't waste an episode on newbies but the plotting of this season has been so bad I don't feel we are going to be rushed leading up to the finale to get everything resolved. Klaine and Brittana are done. Shannon/Sheldon is wrapped. The only outstanding things I see are Rachel's (and Sam's) stories and whatever happens to Sue. And of course Sectionals which I expect to be the last episode anyway. I guess Tina and Artie need some closure but there's time for all of that.

• Love 2

And I ask this in all sincerity: what is there that needs to be wrapped up?

It's not wrapping up exactly, it's just spending time with the characters that have kept me watching this crapfest of a tv show. Believe me, I'm not watching this junk because Murphy and Company are such awesome storytellers. If people don't want to watch the cast of Glee but want to watch Glee i guess it's because they're fans of the writers and Murphy and Falchuk and how amazingly talented they are, which, more power to you, I guess but, really?

I actually liked this episode a lot. I was just so tired of the endless Klaine back and forth and Rachel's insecurity and Santana's supposedly witty put downs that I needed a break. It was nice to see this. And I understand it is silly to spend time on characters we won't see ever again in a few weeks but I like the newbies (mediocre acting aside) and am not upset about this for the most part (done with Sue!) it was nice to let them shine for a moment as they will undoubtedly fade into the background.

And I ask this in all sincerity: what is there that needs to be wrapped up? I see people complaining that we shouldn't waste an episode on newbies but the plotting of this season has been so bad I don't feel we are going to be rushed leading up to the finale to get everything resolved. Klaine and Brittana are done. Shannon/Sheldon is wrapped. The only outstanding things I see are Rachel's (and Sam's) stories and whatever happens to Sue. And of course Sectionals which I expect to be the last episode anyway. I guess Tina and Artie need some closure but there's time for all of that.

Blaine story is not wrapped up what are his plans once Kurt has to go back  to NY for school?

There is more to a story than an ending. They could have used this week's episode to show some growth for Rachel so that when she gets back to her dream we say this is a woman who has learned from her mistakes and will forge a better path forward. Instead they acknowledged she is as self absorbed as ever and then proceeded to do nothing about it.

• Love 2

There is more to a story than an ending. They could have used this week's episode to show some growth for Rachel so that when she gets back to her dream we say this is a woman who has learned from her mistakes and will forge a better path forward. Instead they acknowledged she is as self absorbed as ever and then proceeded to do nothing about it.

Still don't get the set up Will and then nothing. 

• Love 1

Well the writing is terrible so for me it's not so much that I want a story/ending for the characters. But I do want to see everyone singing one last time. I think it's crazy that in final few episodes of the series that the originals, Will, and Blam don't each get at least one solo. We are wasting time (both story and songs) on disposable characters like baby brat Myron and stunt casted VA guy.

• Love 2

I guess Tina and Artie need some closure but there's time for all of that.

For the love of god why?

I loathe the talentless whiny white boys of the current New Directions, so I should really give this one a miss, shouldn't I?

I was gonna check out the performances, see if there was any good comedy value, but they're not up on YouTube yet. Isn't that later than normal?

For the love of god why?

I loathe the talentless whiny white boys of the current New Directions, so I should really give this one a miss, shouldn't I?

I was gonna check out the performances, see if there was any good comedy value, but they're not up on YouTube yet. Isn't that later than normal?

I am usually pretty indifferent with the dancing/choreography but I really thought these were some of the worse choreographed numbers on the show paried with the directing of the them  all of them were bad an unimiagnatve.  

Hopefully, they'll tone Myron way down from now on - they toned Sugar down nicely after her introduction was OTT bratty.  I feel like this episode should have been earlier in the season.  I liked it quite a bit, and it was nice to see Jane have more to do.  But sub in Kurt for Bieste, and this whole thing would make more sense placed earlier.  After the Hurt Locker eps.  

Well the writing is terrible so for me it's not so much that I want a story/ending for the characters. But I do want to see everyone singing one last time. I think it's crazy that in final few episodes of the series that the originals, Will, and Blam don't each get at least one solo. We are wasting time (both story and songs) on disposable characters like baby brat Myron and stunt casted VA guy.

This episode wasted a perfectly good chance to give Lea and Matt the elusive duet - they could have sung it at the Bar Mitzvah when ND had to stall for time while Myron was pooping. There probably are B'way duets that could be made to work in the setting, but even a random pop duet would do at this point. But no, we randomly get Beiste singing with ND, and full songs for annoying screechy kid. What does it take to pair their B'way vets and best voices on the show, this time I REALLY DON'T GET IT.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 3

At this rate everyone but "Co-Director" Kurt Hummel will have sung with the new ND.

I guess they count Home as his allowed quota. He wasn't good enough to be featured in the old ND competitions, why start now with the new ND public performances.

• Love 1
(edited)

Who thought that obnoxious brat was a good idea?

Something for the tween fans.

Maybe his character will be in the series finale during a flash a few years from now played by an older actor. 

Edited by Beach Party

I really, really liked the Ariana Grande number.  It was Autotuned to all hell, but it reminded me why I used to like this show:  there used to be joy oozing out of every up-tempo number.  That kind of thing made it much easier to overlook the show's flaws.

Kurt sang on "You Learn" / "You've Got a Friend".  

You're right, this was the most he got to sing in a group song so far, I think. And he also sang on What the World Needs Now a little bit. 

I was thinking more like public performances.

For the record, I was never able to climb the rope... never learned to shinny up a pole, either.

Beyond that, all Myron made me think of was the "Bar Mitzvah Boy" from SNL, and considering that I don't really watch SNL anymore and only occasionally caught bits and pieces, it's a wonder that that happens to be the one recent "Weekend Update" character I know.

What in the hell was that steaming pile of crap that I just watched? And I say that as someone who has significantly lowered my expectations for Glee due to the last season and a half. The only pro I can come up with was that I didn't have to deal with Kurt and Blaine this week thanks to their honeymoon.

I felt terrible thinking it while I was watching the first number he did and it didn't get any better. I really try not to say mean things about kids because they're just kids but his dancing and acting were really not good. His singing was okay, but that's about as positive as I can get.

The one thing that I will say in Myron's defense is that his character is the worst and that isn't the actor's fault. I can't believe that now we are stuck with this Myron kid for the rest of the season. I'm sure that at some point Will is going to tell Rachel that now she gets to know how he felt when she had her diva demands as a student. I really hope they just have Myron in the background the rest of the season because I am not here to watch preteen temper tantrums.

I was 13 when I started high school and I didn't skip any grades so hilariously, having such a young member is one of the few realistic things this show has done recently.

Part of me feels like it was such a waste for the show to wait until the ninth season to really give the new kids any significant plots, but I think it may have been a smart move. If they had given them major plots as soon as they were introduced (which is what they did with the New New Directions), there might have been more backlash/resentment against them. By introducing the new new kids and then mostly having them in the background while we spent weeks wondering how long the alumni were going to hang around McKinley, at this point I felt like it was about time that the new new kids got something to do.

The whole "Roderick climbs the rope" was ridiculous. It wasn't a matter of him being lazy or lacking the will to do it. You need a combination of upper body strength and less mass to get up that rope (which is why you sometimes see tiny girls who can do it easily - they might not have really strong arms but they also don't weigh very much). Being put into a high pressure situation doesn't make you magically stronger or lighter. I guess we are supposed to chalk it up to his fear of heights but I still don't buy it.

Alistair didn't want to join his friend Roderick's glee club, but now that hot Spencer likes him he is ready to sing! Okay, actually that one actually makes sense in terms of a teenager's decision making process.

The choreography during "Cool Kids" was so bad that i was getting secondhand embarrassment while watching. When I saw their simple outfits, I initially thought that whatever they were about to do was going to be the New New New Directions' version of "Don't Stop Believin;" but alas, it was not.

I was totally cracking up when Will told the new kids to take this bar mitzvah assignment seriously because sectionals is in two weeks. Never change, Will Schuester. Never change. Wouldn't a better use of time be to spend the next two weeks coming up with a setlist for sectionals? Oh, wait, why do that more than 24 hours before the competition?

I will disagree on the idea that one needs body mass to master the rope climb. My daughter in kindergarten broke her k-8 school record in climbing that rope. She was so fast that they made her do it a second time to be sure she was timed correctly.

The reason I am watching is for Dot-Marie. Despite her hair being in a hairnet, she is doing a fantastic job as a transgenderded male.

I hope she gets a nomination for it.

(edited)

I will disagree on the idea that one needs body mass to master the rope climb. My daughter in kindergarten broke her k-8 school record in climbing that rope. She was so fast that they made her do it a second time to be sure she was timed correctly.

I don't think you read that post correctly. The point was that you need as little body mass as possible, or really strong arms. Ofcourse preferably both.

I also find it ridiculous that he was able to climb that rope by just believing in himself. He is pretty fat and his arms don't look particularly muscular. As a fat guy I will tell you, what they showed him doing is literally physically impossible.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 2

I've just seen the performances. Oh dear god. I actually have second hand embarrassment for those actors.

Lose My Breath - Awful, awful, the only good thing we're the faces of those watching. And seriously creepy, it a song about women demanding a man be good in bed! Also gotta love the Glee PR team. The description on YouTube is - Child Star Myron shocks the room with his absolutely incredible version of "Lose My Breath" by Destiny's Child.

Friday I'm In Love - wasn't actually that bad. Mind you the bar on this episode was very low.

I Want To Break Free - Why does this guy sing like someone's grabbing his nuts? It kinda worked on this song. I didn't watch the episode but it looked like he was wooing Jane by being a dick to his sister.

Break Free - switched off in embarrassment when Sue appeared.

Uptown Funk - a thousand nopes. I actually thought Jane would be okay but I don't know if she was dragged down by the other two, but it was beyond awful. It lacked any funk. The only good things were Kitty and Madison dancing backstage.

Cool Kids - Meh. I would've sworn I'd watch anyone sing anything in that auditorium but that was really bad. Those kids have no chemistry, they look like they don't know each other.

Also are Mason and Jane an item now, because she looked like she wanted him to stop touching her.

(edited)

Oh man, this episode was so...I don't know, but I totally forgot to even snark post about it.

That said, I did enjoy getting to know the newbs (not the NEW newbs).  I'm actually kind of loving girl twin a lot more now.  Quarterback dickhead isn't a great singer and I could care less about his crush/makeout session with NEW newb guy.  And now we have a 13 year old male Rachel Berry.  Awesome.  If anyone ever said "How could Rachel be more annoying?"  Him.

How many eps are left?

Also, yeah, you can either climb a rope or you can't.  You can't will yourself into it.  I am blessed with long-ass skinny Grover (from Sesame Street) arms.  Even after 8 years in the Army and strength training, I couldn't climb a rope to save my life.  A guy with his proportions?  Nope, not buying it.  Then again, when's the last time anyone needed to climb a rope, ever, except for in this ep and in gym class? 

Edited by KayElektra

Myron is like the secret love child between Sugar Motta and Robin Arryn...

I like the new kids,  but they need better plots. And I can't wait to listen to Alistair singing, he's got such a deep voice when  he talks...

• Love 1

The new boys are like someone asked "how can we make Blaine and Sam mark 2, but more annoying" oh and add a fat bloke who can't sing. All the previous actors on ND could sing and/or act, Christ knows what these three pulled out in their audition to get cast. We know one quality they have that 2/3 of the guys they replaced didn't.

Madison and Jane are interesting. Whose taking bets on which one gets a losing their virginity storyline before the finale.

Kitty continues to rock. Becca Tobin is the best thing about this season.