Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Amelia Shepherd: The Shepherdess

• Start Topic

It's weird, though. Because while most people on this forum seem to dislike Amelia a lot (me included) whenever I go on YouTube or even on Tumblr I see a lot of people praising Caterina's acting and I just can't understand it.  IMO she's insufferable. Caterina's acting skills are awful, she's forced and she does something with her mouth that ugh, I just want to punch her every time I see her on the screen.

• Love 2

For what it's worth, I think Amelia was far better on Private Practice than she is on Grey's.  I can't put my finger on exactly why that is.  I think at least part of it is that she had fewer speeches, and the whole young maverick persona worked better when she was earlier in her career.

• Love 3

For what it's worth, I think Amelia was far better on Private Practice than she is on Grey's.  I can't put my finger on exactly why that is.  I think at least part of it is that she had fewer speeches, and the whole young maverick persona worked better when she was earlier in her career.

I totally agree. 

I think that Amelia was better written on PP, and she just worked better with the different vibe & dynamics between the characters on PP. 

I didn't watch PP, so I can't really say anything about her on PP. But I think my main problem with Amelia is that I just don't like Caterina, not as a person, of course, because I don't know her, but as an actress. She lacks talent, imo.

• Love 3
If they wanted a new surgeon, this actress from 1121, the one from the other hospital,the talented surgeon,the actress did such a wonderful job with limited lines,she could have been offered the role instead of Scorsone.

Even in other jobs, it´s so often not the gifted ones but those who kiss sb´ s ass who get the job.

Caterina got the role 5 years ago for kissing SR's ass? Or do you mean that she is on Grey's because she kissed SR's ass? I guess the same would apply to the actress you're saying should have gotten the role as she was on Scandal and then cast on Grey's (I didn't think she was all that on Scandal, she was better in the Grey's guest role IMO).

Personally I think its the long speeches that suck. I always find them annoying because I don't know anyone who speaks in long speeches. It doesn't it matter if its Izzie talking about eating a tub of butter, Amelia talking about being a superhero, April talking about her virginity, Callie, Arizona, Meredith - the women on the show all get ridiculous speeches that do the characters no favors.

• Love 2
(edited)

Amelia or Scorsone one or the other, both suck for me with or without long speeches. And yes, she must have kissed Rhimes´s ass to get on Greys and kick off Dempsey. Or maybe it´s enough that she is a woman, but even that actress who played Hahn was fired,so easy to say Scorsone is a great player and she knows why she calls Rhimes a genius on twitter. Rhimes is a genius??? Really? Did she cure an incurable disease or invent something that helps mankind´s progress or does endless humanitarian work which helps people,etc?

The big difference is that Scorsone lacks any kind of creative talent. She was maybe good for an awful show like PP. I think Greys has better quality acting standards to say the least. And the way she portrays a neuro chief needing superhero poses and flaring her nostrils in each scene to boost her ego and all is about me and me even Derek´s death. Insufferable.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 2

Amelia or Scorsone one or the other, both suck for me with or without long speeches. And yes, she must have kissed Rhimes´s ass to get on Greys and kick off Dempsey. Or maybe it´s enough that she is a woman, but even that actress who played Hahn was fired,so easy to say Scorsone is a great player and she knows why she calls Rhimes a genius on twitter. Rhimes is a genius??? Really? Did she cure an incurable disease or invent something that helps mankind´s progress or does endless humanitarian work which helps people,etc?

Hahn was an ABC decision not a Shonda decision. I really don't think Caterina got the job because she kissed Shonda's ass. From reading the 200th episode audition story articles I learned that the majority of actors/actresses from Grey's got their roles from either being in failed pilots for ABC or auditioning in front of Shonda before or another person on the Shondaland team. Kevin Mckidd got his role from not kissing Shonda's ass because hed rather spend the day with his son whose birthday it was than auditioning for Shonda.

• Love 1
For what it's worth, I think Amelia was far better on Private Practice than she is on Grey's.  I can't put my finger on exactly why that is.  I think at least part of it is that she had fewer speeches, and the whole young maverick persona worked better when she was earlier in her career.

Definitely. 

PP, as bad as the show could be sometimes, was a more adult show with more adult stories and writers. While the speeches were still there, they did went on to be on a more mature level, and even Amelia, who was the baby there, acted as an adult. Storylines were deep enough to care and the writers did take their time to create a good path. Amelia's relapse, Charlotte's rape, those were bold stories that were tackled and developed and gone through better than GA writers could ever do or think of doing.

Also, the cast was a lot smaller and they could focus on the characters better. I think that was a major factor that helped.

Grey's fans are notorious for disliking new characters right away. Callie and April were just as disliked when they first came on the show as Amelia is right now.

This is true. I still hate April though. That one never grew on me. Nor Jackson. Or Ben. Or Jo. And Stephanie. Even Owen.

However, it wasn't the case with Mark. And with the addition of Callie & Addison, the writers made a better effort into make them likable characters that you root for them. I haven't seen the same for newish characters. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's weird, though. Because while most people on this forum seem to dislike Amelia a lot (me included) whenever I go on YouTube or even on Tumblr I see a lot of people praising Caterina's acting and I just can't understand it.  IMO she's insufferable. Caterina's acting skills are awful, she's forced and she does something with her mouth that ugh, I just want to punch her every time I see her on the screen.

I feel the same.

I have to skip her scenes.I simply can´t watch them or I mute her.

(edited)
Amelia most likely steals Derek´s seat on the board 

When Cristina gave Alex her board seat we learned that the board must vote to select members. Please explain how it would be possible for Amelia or anyone else to steal a board seat given the board rules that are canon to the show.

just like she stole the neuro chief position from him.

To refresh your memory - Amelia worked with Derek a few days a week when she first arrived in Seattle. Derek asked Amelia to take over his practice when he started in DC and Amelia took over the job when he moved there. Amelia didn't steal the job it was given to her.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

I'm sorry do we have guidelines on what you consider ladylike, should we ask Shonda to distribute them to the cast and we can take this thread right back to the 1950s. 

As I recall Amelia applied for the open post of chief of neurosurgery and got, and unlike her brother hasn't killed anyone so far. 

No need to go back to the 1950s, a lady is a lady in the 1920s, 1950s, 1980s, 2015, and onwards ... nothing more to say.

She has blinded a woman as I recall. And as you said "so far" - the time when she kills someone will come sooner than later.

When Cristina gave Alex her board seat we learned that the board must vote to select members. Please explain how it would be possible for Amelia or anyone else to steal a board seat given the board rules that are canon to the show.

To refresh your memory - Amelia worked with Derek a few days a week when she first arrived in Seattle. Derek asked Amelia to take over his practice when he started in DC and Amelia took over the job when he moved there. Amelia didn't steal the job it was given to her.

Shonda wanted to get rid of McDreamy,so that is why she took Scorsone back as Amelia and made her a regular for season 11. No, Amelia´s skills are not sufficient for the post of Neuro chief, with all respect, she is laughable in this position. Should the superhero position make her the Chief of neuro with relevant skills? Ridiculous.

Yes, he gave it to her to substitute him while he is away,when he came back she did not want to give it back to him, and she should have, so she stole the position. As a result, she will also steal his seat on the board - unless anyone on this board has some common sense and they will not allow her to be there.

We will never agree.You like her and I hate her, as simple as it is. 

As a result, she will also steal his seat on the board - unless anyone on this board has some common sense and they will not allow her to be there.

as windsprints brought up no one can STEAL a board seat.  Given what we just saw in the beginning of season 11 of Alex vs. Bailey, we know that board seat cannot be directly transferred without a vote, let alone "stolen".   

I was going to say more, but i'll just leave it at that.

• Love 1

One more thing though - do not insult me, my memory serves me right well, it does not need to be refreshed. Take care of yours and I will take care of my memory.

Hello ya'll ...

This isn't an official note, but it's about to be. Please let's lighten up in here. Agree to disagree ... snark on the show and the characters, but not on each other.

Thanks...

Owen hired Amelia as the head of the department just like he hired Maggie in Cardio. The hiring has always been done by the Chief since the beginning of the show. Richard hired Derek, Addison, Hahn & Arizona as department heads. 

Edited by maasa
  • Love 2

Probably opening a can of worms here ... however, I just finished binge watching Private Practice in which Amelia was introduced.

I gotta say, after watching that, seeing her back story, I am not at all on the hate train for this character, nor the actress (on Grey's).

I watched PP live, but haven't watched it since it went off the air.  Seeing it in the context of Amelia showing back up on Grey's, wow, I can see why her character development has gone the way it has.

Addiction isn't fun ... I have had one brother die of it, and thankfully, another brother just celebrated 30 years sober ... the dynamic of watching how two people in the same family can turn out so differently has been interesting to watch, to say the least.

When addiction gets as far as it had gotten with Amelia, and dealing with the crap that was her life because of it, it's a slow road to serenity.  I call her relationship to Owen a "slip" ... hungry for the adrenaline rush that drugs gave to her at one time.

A curiosity, I think more rhetorical than anything else (unless you feel like discussing), the people that hate her on Grey's ... did they ever watch PP to see her character development?  Because quite honestly, her appearance on Grey's as a regular sure fits the profile.  

Again, just curious ... 

• Love 4

I don't hate her, I just have no interest in her.  I didn't watch PP and I don't want to, so her showing up as a character with a backstory that I am supposed to be familiar with but wasn't kind of annoyed me.  I am also one who has never had any interest in any of the Shepherds so that didn't make me want to get to know her better either.

When she first came on the show last season, I kind of liked her.  I forget the exact scenario, but she was talking to Richard and someone came up and said something about everyone being related...and she just let out the best guffaw and I thought she was someone who I could really like, even without knowing or caring about her backstory.  But then, she got involved in yet another Owen-related angsty romance (Love is Deadly or whatever nonsense she and Derek were spouting that one time) and the whole Superwoman Stance, etc., just exhausted me.  The fact that she got an entire episode and more than one story arc to herself her first season while all of my favorites were ignored yet again, sealed the deal for me.  

I'm sure that her time on PP and her backstory would probably soften me towards her, but I am barely holding on to Grey's as it is, and I have no interest in doing research on a brand new character in order to enjoy her, nor should I have to.  The actress is fine and has good moments, but the writing for her so far on Grey's has been awful, IMO, and it really has done her no favors. 

• Love 2

Probably opening a can of worms here ... however, I just finished binge watching Private Practice in which Amelia was introduced.

I gotta say, after watching that, seeing her back story, I am not at all on the hate train for this character, nor the actress (on Grey's).

I watched PP live, but haven't watched it since it went off the air.  Seeing it in the context of Amelia showing back up on Grey's, wow, I can see why her character development has gone the way it has.

Addiction isn't fun ... I have had one brother die of it, and thankfully, another brother just celebrated 30 years sober ... the dynamic of watching how two people in the same family can turn out so differently has been interesting to watch, to say the least.

When addiction gets as far as it had gotten with Amelia, and dealing with the crap that was her life because of it, it's a slow road to serenity.  I call her relationship to Owen a "slip" ... hungry for the adrenaline rush that drugs gave to her at one time.

A curiosity, I think more rhetorical than anything else (unless you feel like discussing), the people that hate her on Grey's ... did they ever watch PP to see her character development?  Because quite honestly, her appearance on Grey's as a regular sure fits the profile.  

Again, just curious ... 

I saw bits and pieces of PP but found it too soapy and boring. I understand why PP watchers are more inclined to like Amelia I guess, but like Deanie said... no Grey's fans (who had been watching the show for 10 years at that point) should had to have watched PP to understand her character. I get that she's an addict and has been through all this stuff, but I still find her incredibly irritating, crude, and annoying. We also differ at the fact that I find Caterina to be a terrible actress; always so dramatic, and when she does comedy, she talks like a 1930s cartoon character or a detective from a noir movie. I'm sure she's nice, I'm glad the rest of the cast likes her, etc. But for me, the character just doesn't work, and she takes a lot away from my enjoyment of the show because she's so present. 

I really resent that she came in and automatically gets 10x as much story and screen time as Alex and other more interesting characters. 

• Love 1

Deanie87, thanks for taking the time to explain.  After I had posted my question, I did think to myself how egocentric you would have to be (Shonda, I am looking at you) to expect people to have to watch a different show just to "get" a character you threw in.  If there is anyone to blame on the Amelia dislike/non-interest/hate (I realize hate is too strong a word), it would have to be her.  She hasn't given the character on Grey's enough back story for people unfamiliar with PP.

That is kind of sad, because according to her back story, you can see why she is the way she is.  And why she makes the choices she makes.  And why she is so over the top.  And why everything is about her.  Oxy addicts (which is what Amelia was) are a special breed of addicts.  They are usually way upper income and brilliant (think Gregory House from his show House) ... anyway, I digress.

I enjoyed PP a lot ... it was a mature Grey's.  It has much more character development than Grey's would ever hope for, but I get the dynamic ... a teaching hospital with youngsters compared to older doctors with their own practices.  

Again, I digress.  ::giggle::

ETA:  BaseOps ... we cross posted, wanted to acknowledge your position ... I do want to add that I am a GA watcher from the Pilot ... I crossed over to PP when the show went there, and watched both until PP went off the air.  I don't know what difference that makes, just wanted to add it.

• Love 2

Again, just curious ... 

Yes, my inability to invest emotionally in the character is due to her tenure on PRIVATE PRACTICE, in which I thought she was ill-defined and obnoxious. To GREY'S' credit, they've done a great job with keeping the inorganic portrayal consistent. 

I re-watched the end of PRIVATE PRACTICE's third season a few months ago, just to revisit her introduction. My problems with Amelia don't exist from her first appearance, as I remembered, but actually begin in her third, in which the actress switches into a mode of playing that I find personally off-putting, especially given the empty -- let's throw this up against the wall and see if it works -- rendering of her character in the text.

Frankly, she's a textbook Shondaland heroine: comes on too strong, then has a breakdown that's supposed to endear her to the audience and make the character seem "complex". (See: Jo, Catherine Avery) But they don't always have to be overbearing, and the means to complex them don't have to be so unsubtle. I think she was a pawn by the writers, and it was always more obvious with her than it was for her PRIVATE PRACTICE contemporaries. And I therefore find her unworthy of my emotional trust. 

But I don't think she's a bad fit on GREY'S, given her connection to Derek and Meredith, and although I don't like her, with a cast so large, her effects are often mitigated (if we're fortunate). 

• Love 1

I tried PP during the first crossover and a couple episodes after that because I really enjoyed Addison.  But between the talking elevator, the recycled "kiss you with tongue" dialog and poor Tim Daly's high-end Hot Topic wardrobe, it lost me pretty quickly.

That is kind of sad, because according to her back story, you can see why she is the way she is.  And why she makes the choices she makes.  And why she is so over the top.  And why everything is about her.  Oxy addicts (which is what Amelia was) are a special breed of addicts.  They are usually way upper income and brilliant (think Gregory House from his show House) ... anyway, I digress.

I get what you're saying, but that fact applies to many of the Grey's characters who have been on the show a lot longer than Amelia and who haven't gotten/will never get that kind of in-depth exploration, and to be honest, I resent her for that.  Amelia is one of Shonda's favorites and I seem to be forever doomed to prefer the characters that Shonda doesn't give a crap about.

• Love 2

Again, just curious ... 

I watched all episodes of PP and took an instant dislike to Amelia on that show, too.  I'll admit I'm one of those "instantly judgey" types ... 

Backstory, schmackstory - I don't care!  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3

I was only an occasional watcher of PP because I don't enjoy seeing adults act like 8 year olds (yes, I know, what am I doing watching GA?) but Amelia and Stuart were only characters like liked on that show.

With Cristina gone, the characters I can't stand any more (e.g. Bailey, April, Catherine) and those I just don't care about (Alex, the Chief, Meredith) far outnumber the ones I do want to watch.

Amelia coming on is a big reason I'm still watching.

She has blinded a woman as I recall.

While saving her life.  The patient knew the risks and decided to take them.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I do not understand this poll, because if it is called polarizing, then I do not get how both characteristics to vote for are positive. She is neither hot nor brilliant. 

She is simply awful - character and actress,too. JMO

No, I can´t vote here.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 2

I watched this show a long time ago (as much as I could, not really able to finish most episodes), always hated it - as I hate anything coming from Shonda, I find it very soap-opera-y - but recently I saw it on Netflix and also saw that Geena Davis was in it, so I decided to watch her arc. Then I saw Amelia.

I am really surprised that so many dislike/hate her, and the actress. I do like Amelia, I do like the actress. Not fabulous, but so much better than all the others (not a very high bar, since I find all the others raging from mediocre to just ok)

Maybe it is just me, disliking the show so much, and relishing on the sarcasm, the loudness, the whatever it is that I feel refreshing for such a - to me - unwatchable show. After Geena Davis left, so did I (again)