Type keyword(s) to search

The Future of Agent Carter

I'm sure that some of my love for Angie was carried over from Lyndsey Fornsca's time on Nikita, but even looking past that, I just loved Angie because she was good friend for Peggy, and was able to support her in ways her guy friends (Jarvis and Daniel) couldn't.  I'm not going to say I want her to hijack the show or anything, but I hope she comes back, and we get more of Peggy/Angie's friendship.

I'm hoping the rest of the supporting cast comes back with Peggy, but the only one that is "100% he must come back", is Jarvis.  The Peggy/Jarvis relationship was easily one of my favorite things about the series, and Jarvis in general brought some very good humor the the situations.  Thankfully, I'm pretty sure he'll be back.  I not as sure about Daniel or Jack, but hopefully everyone will return on some level.  I'm guessing Dominic Cooper being in Preacher will limit his availability, but hopefully he can pop up for an episode or two.  Also, the Howling Commands too: especially Dum-Dum.

Oh, and Dottie. Really hope we get her return, and more of Bridget Regan being insanely gorgeous and unhinged as all get-out.

• Love 2

I'm hoping they bring in Gabe Jones and that is who Peggy starts dating (proving the actor has chemistry with HA). Then they can tackle interracial dating during the late 40's. 

• Love 1

I'm hoping they bring in Gabe Jones and that is who Peggy starts dating (proving the actor has chemistry with HA). Then they can tackle interracial dating during the late 40's.

My biggest complaint about The First Avenger and season one was that they ignored the segregation of America, much less what Nazis did while focusing on Hydra. From the integrated SSR camp to the integrated infantry regiment to Andre Roya's club owner/hood about to have sex with a blond woman no notice of race was taken. And Marvel has the reputation of bringing real world concerns to their books.

Dum Dum Dugan reacting to Jim Morita as a POW is the only mention of race in the MCU. Unless you count Sam Wilson suggesting the Trouble Man album to Captain America.

• Love 1

There's a reason for them ignoring race, sadly. Many people are enraged by this stuff, no matter how historically accurate it is. I haven't watch Sleepy Hollow season 2, but from what I hear, in one episode, Abbie time traveled to the 18th century and got mistaken for an escaped slave. There was quite an outrage about this even before the episode actually aired, with people angrily calling the writers racist, even if it made total sense, history-wise.

• Love 3
(edited)

The AoS spinoff has been rejected.

I'm happy to see this. Marvel needs to put it's efforts into this show and Agents of Shield without spreading itself way too thin trying to juggle 3 shows on ABC and what they have going on at Netflix in my opinion.

Edited by missbonnie

During their primetime schedule, ABC released a synopsis for the second season: 

“MARVEL’S AGENT CARTER” (Season 2)

“Marvel’s Agent Carter” returns for a second season of adventure and intrigue, starring Hayley Atwell in the titular role of the unstoppable secret agent for the SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve). Dedicated to the fight against new atomic age threats in the wake of World War II, Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet. But even as she discovers new friends, a new home — and perhaps even a new love — she’s about to find out that the bright lights of the post-war Hollywood mask a more sinister threat to everyone she is sworn to protect.

“Marvel’s Agent Carter” stars Hayley Atwell as Agent Carter.

Tara Butters, Michele Fazekas, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely, Chris Dingess, Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, Alan Fine, Joe Quesada, Stan Lee and Jeph Loeb are executive producers.  “Marvel’s Agent Carter” is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

Interesting.  Looks like this season will be Los Angeles instead of New York, and we could get a different supporting cast.  Hayley is the only one listed in the cast list. Curious to see where it will go, but, again, I hope they find a reason for Jarvis to accompany her.  And maybe even have Angie try to break into Hollywood.  But I'm not sure why Jack or Daniel would go, unless they are reassigned.

• Love 1

This is a rare show where I care about the lead far more than any other main characters, so I wouldn't even mind if some or all of them were missing, as long as Peggy's still there kicking ass and taking names.

• Love 4

Already, that was quick. I guess Marvel was sure it was coming back. Lol.

I could see Angie maybe going with Peggy to try to make it in Hollywood. Everyone else probably not. But I also wouldn't mind a new cast of characters. As Hayley Atwell said Peggy's still alive in the Marvel verse, she's has a long life of stories to tell. Hopefully we get to see more of it.  She couldn't say what we will be seeing of Peggy in Ant-Man, but that's a reason to see that movie. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This is a rare show where I care about the lead far more than any other main characters, so I wouldn't even mind if some or all of them were missing, as long as Peggy's still there kicking ass and taking names.

I agree, although I would enjoy Jarvis, Angie and Daniel having a reason to come along too.  I'm ambivalent about Jack, I appreciated his role in S1 and I could see him still being part of the larger universe that could have a guest appearance, but I have a feeling we'll have a new set of antagonists.  

And not that it means anything, since TPTB probably haven't decided who all will return yet, but Hayley tweeted Enver yesterday about wearing his sweater vest in S2.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 2

I didn't watch Nikita so I have no previous knowledge of the actress, but I found Angie to be one of the most delightful things about the show in S1. The relationship between her and Peggy was way more compelling than any other relationship except Peggy/Jarvis, in part because Atwell and Fonseca just have better chemistry than anyone except Atwell and D'Arcy, and in part because I was far less interested in Peggy's work angst and far more interested in her "live in the world, don't just protect it" angst. Angie worked so well as Peggy's touchstone to normal life. I'm actually bummed that she knows Peggy is a spy now--I wanted Peggy's double life to go on for quite a while.

What I want for S2: hurry up and get to the founding of SHIELD already, I don't have time for the SSR bs; drop Thompson and Sousa, they're boring as hell and really slow the show down (and PLEASE no Peggy/Sousa romance, there is less than zero chemistry there); more Howard, but don't turn it into the Howard Stark show the way the finale did; and do bring back Dottie just for an episode or two, because Bridget Regan really brought the crazy!

• Love 2

Jarvis is a must, and Angie would be nice just because of the Hollywood setting and Peggy needs a friend. I grew to like Sousa and Thompson more than at the beginning, but wouldn't really care if they don't appear. I hope they continue with sporadic appearances from Howard, too.

But really, all I need is Peggy Carter.

• Love 3

Enver Gjokaj is responding to fans on his Twitter as though he thinks he's in season 2, which makes me think there's at least a chance of more Sousa. Maybe he just doesn't know yet, but you'd think if he knew for sure he WASN'T going to be in it, he'd stay quiet/ not act like he is.

I would like more Sousa for season 2, but I NEED more Jarvis. If he's not back, I don't know if I'll stick around...

(edited)

Angie and Jarvis are in season 2, at least. Not sure if it's a spoiler, considering they are series regulars.

Hayley on season 2:

"It is really hard to say, because they're just in the process of mapping out the whole arc of the season, so we haven't filled the details of what is actually going to happen. What is exciting, because it is going to be set in L.A., and set a year later, Peggy is in quite a different place. She is not grieving as much, it is not as raw for her to have lost Steve. So within herself, she is in a much stronger place. We can think more light, warmth and humor in who she is as a person. There is also something that reminds me of L.A. Confidential, kind of film noir, kind of glamorous L.A. life with a dark underbelly of L.A. life in the '40s. There will be a depth of characters. We were just talking backstage about how Angie and her are now in a place where Angie knows who she really is, and whether she can truly confide in her now that they're on the same page.  It will be developing the characters and introducing new ones."

I love LA Confidential and film noir in general (and this show, of course), so the hype just went up 200% for me.

On Dominic Cooper (who played Howard Stark) and his role in Season 2 now that he's been cast in Preacher:

There has got to be elements of Howard there, but I'm not sure to what extent. He plays a pivotal role in her life, and on the show. And also, in order to justify Jarvis being in the season ... He works for Howard Stark, so there has to be some reason why he's in the season, and it will be based on Howard's presence. Hopefully we'll get Dominic. I'll text him and see if he's available."

I love that she acknowledged this relationship because Peggy/Howard is my #1 "ship" on the show (in the platonic sense, although I wouldn't have minded more if not for canon).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

No surprise, but glad to hear: both James D'Arcy and Enver Gjokaj have signed on as regulars for season two.

The article also says that deals for Chad Michael Murray, Lydnsy Fonseca, and Bridget Regan are also happening.  So, basically I guess that leaves only Dominic Cooper as a question mark, which I guess will depend on how much time has with Preacher in the mix.

1 hour ago, Lyanna19 said:

Is anybody else bemoaning the fact that this show was cancelled?

1 hour ago, Rilla-my-Rilla said:

Always. I just finished a re-watch yesterday!

Peggy Carter is my favorite Avenger-hands down. I wanted to see her set up Shield. I wanted to see that instead of her working for sexist agents who didnt see her for what she was, they were working for her and were in awe of her. And that her Shield was FILLED with women agents.

Im rewatching because its back on Hulu. But I miss it all the time. Peggy is the hero we deserve.

• Love 6

I still haven't really figured out why they cancelled it, it seemed as if it was getting good ratings, I mean just look at some shows that are getting renewed , and they cancel agent Carter?

Also they left us with that cliff hanger! How can they do that?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

I still haven't really figured out why they cancelled it, it seemed as if it was getting good ratings, I mean just look at some shows that are getting renewed , and they cancel agent Carter?

If you think about the show though, it was so woman strong and all about facing the patrichary. Im sure it ruffled someone’s feathers. Look at Hollywood now. I wish someone would fight for it to come back. 

• Love 4

Maybe it sounds unreasonable, but I have been mourning this show since its cancellation. Glad to see I am not alone in missing the show.

In particular, I constantly have Dottie on my mind, never knowing what happened to her. I'd love to see more adventures of Peg, but at least we know generally what the trajectory of her life is, and when it ends she is well loved by many. But Dottie we don't know... Does she live to kill another day? Does she eventually get hired by Peg if only because Peg realizes that's the only way she'll be able to keep an eye on Dottie? Is she the one to eventually decondition Natasha when she defects? Or does she die Peggy's greatest nemesis, the broken girl who still chains herself to the bed?

There are far more crucial things in the world to worry about but this is where my mind often wanders.

I'm rewatching the series with a friend who's never seen it. Like me he thinks the second season lacks compared to the first (he and I prefer the pulp noir of season 1 over the camp of season 2), but even mediocre Agent Carter is still better than most other TV by a long shot. I agree it was infuriating they ended on a cliffhanger. They should have planned standalone seasons. I also wish they'd gotten further into the founding of SHIELD. Groundwork was laid for it (hints in season 2 people were trying to shut down the SSR as obsolete) but not enough. I too want to see Peggy lead and be respected as a leader.

I hate to get conspiracy theorist, but I feel like someone at ABC had it out for Agent Carter. Marvel seemed all for it. ABC had to be the problem. The scheduling of season 2 was a clusterfuck, especially with the late start and the doubled episodes. The distribution has been random and far too limited, with DVDs of season 1 only available on Amazon and no US DVD of season 2. The show disappeared from streaming for awhile, only now just showing up on Hulu. I know many who wanted to watch it but just could never find it. They failed to market or distribute it adequately as if to intentionally make it appear unpopular--when it was in reality simply unavailable. The way Hayley Atwell was treated is suspect too... She was originally told she could do both AC and Conviction, but later learned she had been cast in Conviction to make it easier to end AC. *grrr*

It's weird.

But Peggy's resilient and I have hopes we'll see her again sometime, somehow. Just give me Dottie too. I need that psychopath in my life. *sniff*

• Love 5

I would love to have the show back on my screens. I thought it was one of the best I've ever seen and I just adored seeing Peggy on my screen every week. Between her and Dottie, I thought they had the beginnings of something really special. And I would have just loved watching her setup shield and her rise to power within it.

• Love 4

@DeathQuaker! I knew I wasnt the only one that thought Agent Carter’s demise was...shall we say curious. I really think someone had it out for Carter. And I really think it was because of the second season in Hollywood. I’m rewatching it now, and some of the things that Whitney Frost goes through from her agent, from director was really on the nose of what’s going on now. Between Whitney, Dottie, Rose, Angie, Mrs Jarvis and of course Carter, there were just too many women who were undermined, unvalued and harassed. I’m not kidding when I say I bet there’s a story there. I wish I was a reporter. 

Everytime there’s a new super hero movie I mourn Carter. Why cant we have nice things?

edit: I forgot to list Angie and Mrs Jarvis. Especially since they literally took away Mrs Jarvis’ ability to have children. I always thought she was shot too high for that nonsense. I am ashamed for forgetting about the other ladies.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

@DeathQuaker! I knew I wasnt the only one that thought Agent Carter’s demise was...shall we say curious. I really think someone had it out for Carter. And I really think it was because of the second season in Hollywood. I’m rewatching it now, and some of the things that Whitney Frost goes through from her agent, from director was really on the nose of what’s going on now. Between Whitney, Dottie, Rose, Angie, Mrs Jarvis and of course Carter, there were just too many women who were undermined, unvalued and harassed. I’m not kidding when I say I bet there’s a story there. I wish I was a reporter.

Having just rewatched that scene with Whitney and her director, you may be onto something there.... Especially since the show appeared on Hulu only fairly recently.

I suppose in the Internet age anyone could be a reporter. Make a website and report on it. The hard part is having the time and energy to make the calls and get into the dirt. And yes, not formally having a press pass does limit access.

Everytime there’s a new super hero movie I mourn Carter. Why cant we have nice things?

I know. I want to feel joy at the new Infinity War trailer and all I can think is, "You're too easy. We need Peggy."

edit: I forgot to list Angie and Mrs Jarvis. Especially since they literally took away Mrs Jarvis’ ability to have children. I always thought she was shot too high for that nonsense. I am ashamed for forgetting about the other ladies.

Well the show wanted to make us forget about Angie. Which I also wonder if that was network interference--if someone didn't want things to get "too gay."  I wouldn't call myself a Cartinelli shipper but there were tropes used to at least make it look like Angie had a serious crush and work to build a pretty deep connection between the two (you don't have a scene where someone's spilling their guts out to someone else while "Someone to Watch Over Me" between "just friends"). This is entirely in my head--I want to emphasize, ENTIRELY SPECULATION--but I wonder if the network said, "Get rid of the waitress, it's getting too gay." And the showrunners said, "Oh, uh, sure, yeah, I guess we'll have to write Angie out," and then as soon as they finished the conversation with the network, they called Bridget Regan and said, "Hey, in your performance, can you turn Dottie's crush up to 11?" Just to get around the network douchebaggery (even if that meant we only got to see Lindsey Fonseca in the dream sequence).

On Ana, I will say--while it is a violent thing to do, in a sense, to take her ability to have children, one thing I thought was fascinating was how Ana herself was like, "this isn't the most important thing." Which is not to say she wasn't sad, but she was like, this isn't all of who I am. Jarvis was the one devastated by it. And that itself speaks to the notion that women are only good for childbearing, and the show flipped that around by having the woman be the one able to look past it. Which of course also could have rubbed our theoretical ABC jerk the wrong way.

• Love 5

Is there anyway to try and petition to get the show going again?  Marvel seems to be doing so good in almost everything it does, and especially after the absolute crap that Inhumans was, you'd think they'd push to go back to a more successful and popular show.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DeathQuaker said:

with DVDs of season 1 only available on Amazon and no US DVD of season 2

I just ordered season 1 and 2 from Amazon, but as blu-ray rather than DVD.  (So now I have to upgrade to a blu-ray/DVD player.)  This means I can finally delete them from my DVR.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Is there anyway to try and petition to get the show going again?  Marvel seems to be doing so good in almost everything it does, and especially after the absolute crap that Inhumans was, you'd think they'd push to go back to a more successful and popular show.

I think the Save Agent Carter gang are still assembling signatures, but I'm not sure what further can be done.

As far as I know based on interviews, Marvel is willing and Hayley Atwell would do it (I presume schedule permitting). Based on what I've seen the other actors say, they'd also come back (again presuming schedule permitting). The problem is network. You can't make a TV show without one. So you've either got to get ABC to take it again, which seems unlikely--although as you say, maybe they might after the Inhumans flopped. Mind the show only did slightly worse ratings-wise than season 2 of Agent Carter, but AC was a critical darling and Inhumans.... wasn't. (Also, Agent Carter had the scheduling shenanigans to blame in part for its second season ratings; Inhumans did not have the same particular challenge). Agent Carter I'm sure was far cheaper to make than the Inhumans (even though period shows tend to be more costly than you think, and of course AC had some SFX, I would guess that the Inhumans' SFX demands still made it far more difficult to deal with budget-wise). And then... if there really WAS executive meddling as we are speculating (trying not to let myself get too frothy at the mouth talking about this)... I don't know if I want it to be at ABC when they might just screw it over all over again.

Netflix didn't want to take it because of some BS about it not being "original" and because (more legitly) of complications caused by foreign distribution issues. Maybe Hulu is the next hope... it's doing Runaways, and it's the one showing Agent Carter now. Probably it would also be concerned about the foreign distribution stuff too, but maybe once those contracts expire something may be possible. Disney's also purportedly working on setting up its own streaming platform, so it could also be an option for that, but I think it'll be awhile before that shows up. I'm also nervous about any streaming-only options because if Net Neutrality gets busted, streaming may become less affordable (because you'd have to pay for premium Internet AND the service itself), and accessibility becomes an issue.

13 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

I just ordered season 1 and 2 from Amazon, but as blu-ray rather than DVD.  (So now I have to upgrade to a blu-ray/DVD player.)  This means I can finally delete them from my DVR.

Yes, they just don't have season 2 on DVD in the U.S. Even the blu-ray took a dang while to show up. You can also buy the eps on Amazon Video (which is what I did, since I don't have Blu-Ray).

Edited by DeathQuaker
  • Love 2

It probably won't happen until Disney acquires Fox and launches their own streaming service or beefs up Hulu. No one is quite sure if Disney is going to launch their own streaming service or enhance Hulu because they'll be majority owners of Hulu after the Fox deal goes through. It's possible the new Disney streaming service or Disney controlled Hulu might produce more season.

• Love 2

I posted this in the cast in other roles thread about a mini cast reunion on tonight's Kevin Probably Saves the World, but thought it was worth mentioning here as a glimmer of hope for some future revival miniseries.

It all started with a playful idea. When working on an episode (entitled “Caught White-Handed”) that was going to see Tyler (Dustin Ybarra) having a fantasy sequence in the kitchen, Butters and Fazekas thought that some of the food he was working with would talk back to him. From there, it was another bout of creative inspiration to then get some of their “Agent Carter” actors to voice the various pieces of food.

“Everyone is all over the world, everyone has different jobs, and this is something that is really easy to do,” says Fazekas. “Even if you’re working, even if you’re somewhere halfway across the globe, you can go to some facility, record a couple of lines and leave. It’s not a big commitment, so that’s sort of also what made it ideal.”

So James D’Arcy voices a pat of butter on an English muffin, Enver Gjokaj embodies a milk carton, and Wynn Everett plays a pancake.
“They all share our appreciation for the ridiculous, and I think that was helpful,” Butters says.

Adds Fazekas, “I also think that if we told them tomorrow that they were going to let us do an ‘Agent Carter’ mini-series, they would all sign up for it.”

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/kevin-probably-saves-the-world-agent-carter-reunion-1202665820/

• Love 3

I re-watched this and I am pissed all over again about no Season 3.

Unpopular opinion, but I preferred Season 2 to 1. I got tired of the sexist stuff from Peggy's bosses and co-workers of Season 1 and felt Season 2 was all about the strong women of the show. Loved Dottie and crazy, genius Whitney.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I re-watched this and I am pissed all over again about no Season 3.

Unpopular opinion, but I preferred Season 2 to 1. I got tired of the sexist stuff from Peggy's bosses and co-workers of Season 1 and felt Season 2 was all about the strong women of the show. Loved Dottie and crazy, genius Whitney.

Not unpopular. I liked Season 2 better too. There were some real consequences in Season 2 as well that I liked. However, Season 1 had some killer lines which I try to use whenever I can.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2017 at 11:46 PM, Lyanna19 said:

I think it was partly due to the fact that not only Marvel TV but Marvel Studios was actually jointly producing the show and that there was no "protection" (unlike Agents of SHIELD ) like a certain other show. Overall, I just don't get it either (well I feel like we have more puzzle pieces now as to way it happened) because like you said, the ratings (in comparison to some other show) the ratings weren't that bad. 

• Love 1

I finally got around to binging this show and wow it's so good! I don't know whether to be happy I had the pleasure of enjoying something so wonderful or upset that I now know this existed and got cancelled while certain other garbage is getting its billionth season. Whyyy world whyyy...

• Love 4