Type keyword(s) to search

The Future of Agent Carter

A place to discuss whether there will be one, and what it will look like if there is, without bogging down the episode threads.

I think it's still too soon to meet the future Mr. Agent Carter (or find out that we've already met him), but I would like to see Peggy dip a toe into the dating waters.  Especially if it's at Angie's instigation.

That ending screamed we have a green light for continuing in some form. Of course not all Hollywood green lights stay green but it was a very good sign. And of course the promo's calling it a season ending not series ending was a good sign. 

Peggy should just date Angie. It's the best thing she could possibly do.

As for the future of the show, I'm actually holding back from watching the season finale for as long as I can, hoping that there will be news of a second season. I don't want this show to be over.

The corporate behemoth that runs ABC and Marvel, has enough resources that the ratings of a show like this are not even a drop in the bucket. It's a creative decision rather than a commercial one, and I'd hope that they have faith in the bigger story that Marvel is trying to tell.

• Love 6

That ending screamed we have a green light for continuing in some form. Of course not all Hollywood green lights stay green but it was a very good sign. And of course the promo's calling it a season ending not series ending was a good sign.

I've seen promos call a show a season finale even when the show was officially cancelled and being burned off, so I'm not banking on that.

If the show does come back I hope it skips to SHIELD's first big case. This season showcased Peggy's character and the setting nicely, it allowed her to let go of some of her grief over Steve's death and realised that while recognition of her skills and a job well done is nice she doesn't need that validation. 

We know how things are going to go at the SSR, a new director is going to come in unofficially demonte her secretary, Howard is going to call and offer her SHIELD. Season 1 and the SSR was a great origin tale but I want to see what happens next. 

Yes--imo it's imperative that a second season jump to the founding/early days of SHIELD. I've enjoyed this season, but I felt somewhat let down when I realized it wasn't actually going to be about SHIELD's foundation (and tbh I wonder if the ratings fell in part because other people who like Peggy less than I do realized there was going to be no real SHIELD and tuned out). So wasting more time with Peggy being disrespected in the SSR would be a huge mistake, imo. A second season needs to get to the important stuff quickly.

Honestly, too, I would ditch the supporting cast from the first season except for Howard (of course), Jarvis, Angie, and Dottie as the occasional drive-by villain. The SSR was by far the least interesting part of the first season. Try again with a new set of secondary characters.

Edited by stealinghome

As for the future of the show, I'm actually holding back from watching the season finale for as long as I can, hoping that there will be news of a second season. I don't want this show to be over.

I held off as long as I could because once I watched it, it was really over.  I gave in last night. :-)

(edited)

Playlist of 9 short video clips of Tara Butters and her husband, Marc Guggenheim, at the Long Beach Comic Expo, talking about Agent Carter and Arrow:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8ChqgPtb2VJtk78rQYefj1Yle9w3baT0

• Agent Carter Showrunner Talks Peggy's Chemistry and Possible Husband Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Agent Carter Showrunner Tar Butters Talks Captain America Radio Show Becoming A Podcast Long Beach
  • Arrow Show Runner Guggenheim Talks Changing Arrowhead for Each Season Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Arrow & Agent Carter Showrunners Talk Marvel DC TV Crossover Easter Eggs Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Arrow Showrunner Talks About How Characters Are Selected Blue Beetle Atom Long Beach Comic
  • Arrow Showrunner on Batman Potential in Arrow TV Show Guggenheim Rogues Gallery Long Beach Comic 
  • Jarvis & Felicity Talk with Arrow & Agent Carter Showrunner: Chemistry of Oliver & Peggy Long Beach 
  • Tara Butters Talks Possible Agent Carter Season 2 Setting & Storyline at Long Beach Comic Expo
  • Marc Guggenheim Talks DC & Marvel Conflicts and the Daredevil Comic Book Long Beach Comic Expo
Edited by tv echo
  • Agent Carter Showrunner Tar Butters Talks Captain America Radio Show Becoming A Podcast Long Beach

Good grief, you mean there are people out there who want more of that stilted melodrama? If not for the fact that I loved nearly everything else about the series, the radio program scene in the finale would have had me diving for the remote to change channels.

I thought it was thematically appropriate and kinda funny in a way.

I'm more amazed at that Tara Butters is married to Mark Guggenheim. Why can't she teach him how to write interesting female characters and not make them all about men? God knows he needs it.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought the point of the Captain America radio show was to show how wrong it is. Peggy always rolled her eyes whenever she heard it.  I loved when they talked about CA beating up people paired with Peggy beating up people complete with showing us the Foley sound effects. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I kind of loved the radio play. It's horrible, it's hokey, and it's dead wrong as far as the truth, but at the same time it rings true to what I remember of the medium.  (One of the local stations used to run old radio plays at midnight, so I'd hear them on my way home from theatre.) There's also something about the incongruity of the radio play actors to the people they're playing that I appreciate.

Not sure how it would work as a standalone and/or without the visuals, but I'd give it a try if they did some shorts. If nothing else, handled well it could be a good laugh -- and best case, it gives an insight as to what the Average Joe On the Street thinks when it comes to Captain America and the like, which is pretty neat IMO.

• Love 5

Honestly, too, I would ditch the supporting cast from the first season except for Howard (of course), Jarvis, Angie, and Dottie as the occasional drive-by villain. The SSR was by far the least interesting part of the first season. Try again with a new set of secondary characters.

We could keep Chad Michael Murray, I really wouldn't mind.

(edited)

I'd prefer to not see Sousa again. I've found him the weakest character on the show. Which doesn't mean he's horrible - it's just the writers obviously don't have a clear idea of what to do with him. "Nice guy war veteran" isn't much of a characterization. He can still be salvaged, but I'd prefer to replace him with somebody more dynamic.

Thompson can stay, I don't mind him.

The only two characters I absolutely want to see are Peggy and Howard. Jarvis is nice, but I can live without him, as fun as him and Peggy are.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
He can still be salvaged, but I'd prefer to replace him with somebody more dynamic.

And someone who has more chemistry with Hayley Atwell. I know it's a a hard comparison, because she and Chris Evans had/have GREAT chemistry, but there's not any spark between them at all, which is not good when he's been dangled as the LI. Even if Peggy dated him just briefly before breaking it off, it would be hard to watch a sparkless romance there. Her relationships with Jarvis, Howard, and Angie all pop WAY more.

• Love 4

I met Hayley Atwell at C2E2 today, she said we won't find out about Season 2 of Agent Carter until the Upfronts. 

For those of you who want some cheering up before we hear the news. Hayley's favorite scene was the Diner fight scene where she as singing Nicki Minaj's, Anaconda in her head during that whole scene because the director told her she fighting to sexily. 

ETA; Another fun fact from the panel, apparently Hayley was filming while she needed to renew her license she didn't have time to change. So her driver's license picture is of Peggy Carter. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6
Today, Hayley Atwell (Black Mirror) attended Chicago's C2E2 and at the pop culture convention there was a message informing fans when they can expect to hear about the fate of a second season of Agent Carter.

A hand-written "frequently asked question" message was attached to Hayley Atwell's autograph stand. The note reads: "We will know in 3 weeks if Agent Carter is renewed for another season. But it looks good given the fan response."

Fate Of Marvel's Agent Carter Will Be Decided In 3 Weeks

By Jay Jayson  04/25/2015

http://comicbook.com/2015/04/26/fate-of-marvels-agent-carter-will-be-decided-in-3-weeks/?utm_campaign=rbm&utm_medium=latestarticle3&utm_source=article

Gregg Zimmer  @GRZimmer14STLB

@Marvel_Freshman Check bottom left. Hayley also said this during her panel.

CDeUMMvUsAAsgXB.jpg

https://twitter.com/GRZimmer14STLB/status/592104825778671616/photo/1

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Another fun fact from the panel, apparently Hayley was filming while she needed to renew her license she didn't have time to change. So her driver's license picture is of Peggy Carter.

This amuses me so very much. And as an adult, you don't need to get your drivers license renewed as often, so Hayley will probably have that picture on her license for the better part of a decade.

From Marc Guggenheim (Tara Butters' husband)...

tvjunkie22 asked:
hey marc:) here comes an non-arrow related question. what do you think: how high sre the chances that agent carter will get a second season? i am in love with this show and i really do hope we will get ro see more of our lovely peggy!

I think the chances are very good.  So glad you’re enjoying the show!

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Yeah we've discussed this already in some other forum (so many comic book discussions going on, hard to remember which one), personally, I think he was right, Coulson's death was a great moment cheapened by his resurrection. Stuff like that makes me dislike superhero genre - no real stakes, people come back from death all the time. Plus, Coulson sucks on AoS and brings the show down, imho.

SHIELD still had 1.5 demo this week, which is more than AC (IIRC, it had 1.3 or something like that for the finale). AoS is still a lock for renewal, anyway.

Yeah we've discussed this already in some other forum (so many comic book discussions going on, hard to remember which one), personally, I think he was right, Coulson's death was a great moment cheapened by his resurrection. 

On the other hand, if it has been cheapened, it was cheapened in a Joss Whedon production under the supervision of Joss Whedon's brother and sister-in-law, for which they all get paid, so he's in a bit of a tenuous space to be superior about it.

• Love 7

I don't think it was his or their choice to use Coulson in a TV series. I bet somebody higher up wanted it. It really feels like an executive decision, not a creative one. One that was a mistake, in retrospect.

And really, the only thing he has said is that he didn't like resurrecting Coulson. There was nothing about feeling superior. I wouldn't call it "throwing under the bus".

• Love 1

I don't think it was his or their choice to use Coulson in a TV series. I bet somebody higher up wanted it. It really feels like an executive decision, not a creative one. One that was a mistake, in retrospect.

Shame he wasn't the director of the biggest moneymaking movie of all time, or he could have done something about that before he put his name on it ;)

• Love 1

It's pretty clear he didn't have that much creative freedom in Marvel. I think this (and the size of the workload) are the main reasons he's quitting. Joss has always been more of an author than a manager, it's hardly the first time he's rebelling against the executive pressure. Anyway, I'm glad he's quitting MCU, I've never been much of a comic book/superhero fan (which is why I guess Agent Carter appealed to me, it's not about superheroes).

Edited by FurryFury

There's this article with some suggestions on the future storylines.

I think I'm ready to see the real foundation of SHIELD and specifically Peggy gradually becoming more of a leader. I'm always intrigued by leadership stories, especially for women, and in this era, it's bound to be very tricky. She has conquered the respect of the men working with her, true, but it's only a few people.

• Love 3

Now that we have are confirmation, what does everyone want to see in Season 2? 

Chris Evans cameo in an erotic dream Peggy's having?

Honestly, I figure whatever this team comes up with is going to be great. I'm happy to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Love 5

There's this article with some suggestions on the future storylines.

I think I'm ready to see the real foundation of SHIELD and specifically Peggy gradually becoming more of a leader. I'm always intrigued by leadership stories, especially for women, and in this era, it's bound to be very tricky. She has conquered the respect of the men working with her, true, but it's only a few people.

Definitely agree with you here. I hope we've moved at least partially past the "don't get no respect" storyline not because I don't think it's valid but because it could get tedious if it gets drawn out too much more. (See Arrow and its tired R'as al Ghul plot.) I really liked the pacing of this first season. I hope they can keep the action and intrigue they established.

And on a purely shallow note, more screen time for Jarvis and Daniel Sousa who are both terribly dreamy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, and about Sousa. I can live with it if it happens, but please, either make him suddenly more interesting or don't do a romance. Or maybe do a romance, but the one that's just a romance, without any epic-ness or being endgame material, just something for Peggy to get back on track. I'm just not feeling it. I mean, again, I can handle it if it makes Peggy happy because I love her so damn much, but this show has been almost perfect to me in s1 and I expect no less from s2.

Edited by FurryFury

I'm so glad about Agent Carter's renewal.   I want the entire cast back.  The only character I'm not overly fond of is Angie (I know I'm the only one in the universe) but like was said upstairs, doesn't make the show unpleasant she's just not especially interesting or engaging for me.

I assume we will see more of Peggy's work with the SSR, maybe with Thompson in charge now.  I don't think we will see Peggy assisting in the formation of Sheild at this point seeing as the show runners see that happening at the end of the show.

(edited)
I don't think we will see Peggy assisting in the formation of Sheild at this point seeing as the show runners see that happening at the end of the show.

I think stuff like this needs a lot of work and time to really happen. So we can see the preliminary work, so to speak. Peggy earning the cred to be trusted with something important and having some bigger cases. And a new personal arc, too.

As for Angie, I do feel like she's a bit overrated. I'm OK with her, she plays her role well, but she can stand to be a bit more involved in the main story. I would like for her to learn more about SHIELD, maybe even go to work for them as a non-combatant, like a secretary, I dunno.Everybody needs secretaries.

Edited by FurryFury

I'm so glad about Agent Carter's renewal.   I want the entire cast back.  The only character I'm not overly fond of is Angie (I know I'm the only one in the universe) but like was said upstairs, doesn't make the show unpleasant she's just not especially interesting or engaging for me.

I tend to believe that the vast majority of the Angie love comes from the love of the actress portraying her rather than the character herself because I agree with you--Angie is sweet, but if you removed her from the story, you wouldn't lose anything. I actually really like Lyndsy Fonseca--I'm a big Nikita fan--but I can't say the character blows me away. Then again, maybe their plan all along was to make her seem trivial now only to reveal she's a big player later.

• Love 2

Her character really got off on the wrong foot with me what with being so pushy about Peggy rooming with her. She got a lot more tolerable in the later episodes, but I wouldn't mind at all if Angie departs to do dinner theatre at some Catskills resort by the time Season 2 starts up.

I love Angie. I admit part of it is residual Nikita love, but I think she brought a zing to the show. She just didn't have enough to do relating to the main stuff...

• Love 1

I think she was their shot at gritty realism? Because as bad as Carter had it, Angie wasn't just treated badly at her job, it was a crappy dead-end job. Maybe now that the show has become a little more fantastical (now that the handsome millionaire swept down and gave them his pied á terre to live in rent free) she'll get more to do than just be symbolic of the sad plight of women who weren't Peggy.

I was probably more open to Angie because of Nikita love (as I was more receptive to Sousa because of Dollhouse, less to Thompson because of CMM in general), but also because it was a show full of dudes, with Peggy getting crapped on by most of them most of the time. Angie was a relief to me. I wanted more women in Peggy's life. And I really loved the ep where Angie covered for her when Thompson and Sousa were coming for her.

• Love 6
(edited)

I like Angie, because I'm all for female friendships on TV. And I liked seeing Peggy and her's progress. She just protected Peggy without asking questions. I do imagine in Season 2, Angie will find out Peggy's a spy and will love that.

From the Philly con today, Hayley talked about Lyndsey's audition, she kept randomly saying she was a spy while Lindsey was reading the lines. Lindsey stayed in character and gave them the Angie reactions they wanted, that's why she got the part.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3