Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Staring At The End

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I literally started yelling at my TV when I saw the jealousy coming out of Callie. This show (and Callie?) either need to get this couple back together or let us (and Arizona?) move on for good. Unless this whole thing is a move towards getting them back together and in a HEALTHY emotional relationship, If Callie continues to be jealous of Arizona finally having a friend (did April really count?), I'm going to scream bloody murder.

The thing is Callie got over her jealousy pretty fast.  She knew she was being silly.

She spent the rest of the episode trying to protect Arizona's happiness.  She knows Arizona is going to be devastated if Herman doesn't make it.  That is what motivated her to question if Amelia was going to do the surgery alone.

• Love 1

Can you stay still when you have laughing gas?  I have had MRIs before and you are not allowed to move at all during the scan.

Well, you don't exactly want to move around a lot while the dentist is drilling your teeth, either. But I dunno. 

When I've been on laughing gas, I didn't move an inch, though my body felt like it was abuzz. Great stuff.

When you follow a parent or older sibling into a career, it's only natural that people compare you, but she's the one doing the comparing and she is the one limiting herself that way.

The thing that I don't get....If I wanted to get out from beneath my brother's shadow, I'd be working in Chicago or New York or Boston, impressing them with my greatness and making everyone forget about Derek, if they even know who he is.

• Love 1
She's not even letting a second resident help?

I believe she'll be there with Stephanie but not sure if you mean just one more resident, or have two in total. 

Also nonsensical like Webber and Owen were in awe when applauding  Amelia, why? What for? What did she do to achieve their admiration?Also why weren´t there any others (like Meredith, Maggie,Alex, Bailey) to support a colleague? That stinks, too. I guess she does not deserve any of this awe she was given by Steph,Jo,Webber,Owen.

I don't think this is nonsensical. The tumor is, according to GA -I'm no doctor to tell-, a big deal. And Owen as CoS should be excited to have a surgeon of his take on such a big surgery. Richard is her friend and the residents obviously want to get into a big surgery. I don't find this any weird. We can also assume that the other Attendings were doing surgery or attending the patients that the residents weren't. Among the things I find weird in this show, this in particular, wasn't it.

She did say she consulted with them but they wouldn't do the surgeries so is she consulting with them on the surgery going forward?

I'm not sure if she is though. If the others said no and had no plan, not sure how she can consult with them with the surgery going forward? I assume she could find a neurosurgeon who has the same death wish to do the surgery (even though I would believe Herman would find or consult all the brilliant surgeons in the world first) but I doubt she wants any help either. I'm guessing she wants the glory all to herself.

The thing that I don't get....If I wanted to get out from beneath my brother's shadow, I'd be working in Chicago or New York or Boston, impressing them with my greatness and making everyone forget about Derek, if they even know who he is.

Amelia had been doing that for years - she did her brain surgery elsewhere, most recently in LA (on Private Practice).  Derek hired her to be the head of neuro when he was planning to leave the hospital and go to DC.  But then he decided to stay, after giving his job to Amelia, so she became his boss.  Cue awkwardness. 

• Love 2

Sounds like another one of those storylines carried from a show I didn't watch. It's still dumb, though, that she would take a job at her brother's hospital. Of all the hospitals in all the world, she had to pick this particular one in Seattle.

I believe she'll be there with Stephanie but not sure if you mean just one more resident, or have two in total.

Jo asked if she could help with the case and Amalia said she didn't need her cause she had Stephanie.  And I realize too many residents could be a hinderance rather than a help, but just the idea of turning people away seemed weird.  And Jo and Stephanie are at least 3 years by now.

Sounds like another one of those storylines carried from a show I didn't watch. It's still dumb, though, that she would take a job at her brother's hospital. Of all the hospitals in all the world, she had to pick this particular one in Seattle.

Wasn't she visiting Derek and decided she liked it there? And they had her break up with the guy they had her ride off into the sunset with on Private Practice, so that was the explanation for why she wanted to leave LA.  Clearly they just wanted an excuse to bring the actress into the show, so they came up with a contrived explanation for the character moving.

Ugh. I've never been so conflicted (slight exaggeration) about an episode. On one hand, the Amelia parts were insufferable -- but again, I honestly think it's just short-handed character development. Dear Shonda: Not all of us watched Private Practice. She guest starred on one, maybe two episodes of Grey's before she left (I believe) and suddenly, she shows up again and I'm not only supposed to remember she was also a brilliant neurosurgeon, but have her dead baby storyline shoved down my throat at the same time April and Jackson (who I have been watching on Grey's) had theirs.

I think everything they ultimately did right about Maggie (as far as I can remember), they've done wrong about Amelia. Maggie was introduced as her own character through another character we knew, but after her grand unveiling, I don't remember her trying to ingratiate herself with the characters we knew (Meredith and Richard). Amelia cannot shut up about being Derek's sister. It's as if they think if an episode (or half an episode) goes by without mentioning Derek, we'll suddenly get collective amnesia and wonder who is this strange person doing neurosurgery in Derek's absence.

On the other hand, Geena Davis...wow. Her beginning and ending monologues were incredibly poignant and powerful. Her scenes with Arizona were believable and real and funny and sad and just compelling. I echo the praise for Capshaw, as well -- she's come alive in her scenes with Davis. I feel like Davis is one of those actors who makes people better. Her presence is exactly the shot in the arm this show needed.

It makes me sick that we'll have to lose her (no spoilers, just the fact that an Oscar-winning actress likely won't hang around Grey's forever). She's the unexpected tumor whose presence breathed life into the show for me, and the show is going to have Amelia cut her out. The irony is not lost on me.

We weren't given much information about Herman's blindness, but is there any chance it could be reversed? That'd be an episode I'd gladly watch. They got the tumor out, so it's not pressing on the optic nerve. What else could be the issue? Why is she blind?