Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

If there will be Robbie Amell (please no!), then McQueen would be just extraneous and unnecessary. They are kinda similar, expression-wise, imo.

I'd love if they added a new female superhero or villain. Please no more damsels in distress/fated love interests, sick of them.

Steven McQueen is the grandson of Steve McQueen, I believe.  But no, I don't want him.  He worse than KC and CH.  

Can we have Madeleine Mantock from The Tomorrow People, please?  I'd also like Boomerang and Clock King to show up on this new show.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
I don't know who she would play, but I vote Lyndsy Fonseca. She can act, do action and has a CW resume.

She would probably do Agent Carter if this show gets another season (and I sure hope it will). Although, TBH, she's kinda wasted there.

• Love 1

Agent Carter is the first time I've ever liked Fonseca. Thought she was unbearable in the movie Kick Ass (to be fair, Moretz and Cage are the only people I like in that movie), and the weak link on Nikita.

They should hire Allison Mack. Everyone should hire Allison Mack! I miss Chloe Sullivan and if she doesn't get a steady gig soon I'll probably end up watching her episode of The Following, which is not something I want to do.

• Love 5

Is there like a whole paddock of CW-only actors that I've never heard of? Pretty but of limited talent, and perfect for the sort of drivel that the CW offers up? All these actors who've worked on about half a dozen CW shows, and seem to keep getting cast in more. It's weird.

Any show with Routh playing the main character will need to find a whole load of supporting actors with bags of charisma and talent. That means Robbie Amell should be stricken from anyone's list, instantly. Unless they want someone who makes Routh look good, of course.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

'd love if they added a new female superhero or villain.

How about live action Vixen.

I dont think they gonna go for Nightwing just that they might considering Steven for a role.

Oh no not this guy, and isn't the white/male quota of this show filled by now. I could like Katrina Law as an antagonist or anti hero, just no Nyssara romance. Or Static shock (Virgil Hawkins), if they want some younger/teen ones in there.

Edited by Conell

Now that we know Ray is moving to the spinoff, what would be nice is for Arrow to start deepening his character a bit. I'm not talking about devoting an episode to him, or delving into his background, because zzzzzzzzz (and because they should save that for the spinoff). But, other than his boundary issues, which appear to be a writing error and not an intentional flaw, the problem with Ray so far on Arrow is that he's really, ridiculously, too perfect. He's got it all, and his big problem is in his past. It's not something he needs to face every day. It's fine for him not to be overly burdened like Oliver--he's definitely more in the Barry vein. But right now, Ray is one big yawn for me, because he's basically just a blowup doll.

So I think it would be nice to introduce his Fatal Flaw. I could see this obsessiveness being a problem for him going forward. I would also believe that he would have problems with moral grey areas, because I think he's naive about what he's getting himself into (ditto Barry, actually). He also seems pretty self-absorbed, and maybe it's just because I don't particularly like him, but I think he's doing this for self-serving reasons, and it would be nice if they end up addressing that at some point too.

I'm just thinking about how he, and Ronnie (assuming RA signs on), will carry this kind of show, given what slight characterization they have so far. It would be a good idea to flesh them out a bit now, before we just end up with a bunch of dudes straight off The CW factory line (plus Sara) on this thing.

• Love 6

Is there like a whole paddock of CW-only actors that I've never heard of? Pretty but of limited talent, and perfect for the sort of drivel that the CW offers up? All these actors who've worked on about half a dozen CW shows, and seem to keep getting cast in more. It's weird.

Caity Lotz was told she didn't have the right look for the CW so what they are looking for is bland with abs for the men and stick figures for the women. Then they like to recycle their actors to every new show when their show fails. 

How about live action Vixen.

Vixen is being made into a cartoon. 

• Love 1

Caity Lotz was told she didn't have the right look for the CW so what they are looking for is bland with abs for the men and stick figures for the women. Then they like to recycle their actors to every new show when their show fails. 

Is this true? Because if it is...I'm seriously side-eyeing the CW.

• Love 1

Well if Katie Cassidy does have the right look, and Caity Lotz doesn't? The CW's definition of an attractive woman is very different to mine. Other than EBR, Caity is by far the most attractive woman to have appeared on this show. Well, Janina Gavankar is pretty hot as well.

• Love 3

Speaking of Janina, if they set the series in Coast City, maybe if she can get away from The Mysteries of Laura, McKenna could be the law enforcement element. The EPs have talked about how they'd like to work with her again. (I mean, obviously, since TMoL is a GB show.)

• Love 1

Well, I agree that Caity is attractive (as is EBR) but if we're voting I'd go for Katrina Law because...wow. Seriously though, who told Caity that? And are they still employed? Because that's nuts.

Edited by KirkB

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/239956/arrow-season-3-caity-lotz-paul-blackthorne-and-katrina-law-interview

Caity, can you tell us about your audition process? Did you know she was going to be the Black Canary?

Caity: I did not know! I auditioned for a character named Lisa, and the sides were about, like, the Arrow killed her brother because her brother was selling Vertigo or something like that. And I remember I really liked it because the character was so strong. She was there to give the Arrow shit; it wasn’t like she was this weak whatever. She was a very strong character even just from the audition sides.

So I auditioned, and it went well - actually, it went bad, and I thought I wasn’t going to get it and they said I wasn’t going to get it. They said, “You’re not the CW type, sorry.” And then they were like, “Oh sorry, never mind, we’re flying Stephen Amell in to do a chemistry read with you,” so they flew Stephen into L.A. We did a read together, and then after that it was still a long process. I mean, it was a big part, an important part; they wanted to make sure they got someone that fit. And then after I booked it is when they told me that it was going to be Sarah Lance and that it was going to be Canary.

Kind of cool when you think about it. Not only did she prove them wrong by coming in as Sara/Canary and becoming very popular. Practically become an Arrow series regular, I think she only missed 3 episodes. Now, she's getting cast as a series regular in a new CW show. I wonder if she's their type now?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

Agent Carter is the first time I've ever liked Fonseca. Thought she was unbearable in the movie Kick Ass (to be fair, Moretz and Cage are the only people I like in that movie), and the weak link on Nikita.

They should hire Allison Mack. Everyone should hire Allison Mack! I miss Chloe Sullivan and if she doesn't get a steady gig soon I'll probably end up watching her episode of The Following, which is not something I want to do.

Allison Mack is gonna be on The Following? Woohoo! I thought she was great on Smallville and have been Surprised she hasn't really been seen since

Allison Mack is gonna be on The Following? Woohoo! I thought she was great on Smallville and have been Surprised she hasn't really been seen since

Yep! Only one episode though, and I'm guessing it's a small role, but hey, I'm just happy she's working at all. She was on Wilfred for a while too. I'll check that show out eventually, too.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/239956/arrow-season-3-caity-lotz-paul-blackthorne-and-katrina-law-interview

Kind of cool when you think about it. Not only did she prove them wrong by coming in as Sara/Canary and becoming very popular. Practically become an Arrow series regular, I think she only missed 3 episodes. Now, she's getting cast as a series regular in a new CW show. I wonder if she's their type now?

I don't think they realized that even comic book fans would rather see a fit looking woman playing a super hero over a waif. 

As for Cassidy she used to look good. I don't know what happened. 

Well, I agree that Caity is attractive (as is EBR) but if we're voting I'd go for Katrina Law because...wow. Seriously though, who told Caity that? And are they still employed? Because that's nuts.

Agreed. Caity is a pretty girl, but Katrina Law is something else. She's by far the most beautiful woman on the show, IMO.

I could be wrong, but I think Allison Mack's lack of acting roles post-Smallville might have something to do with her lifestyle. She's deeply entrenched in the NXIVM cult (NXIVM bears a strong resemblance to Scientology in that it scams people out of their money for "self-improvement" classes).

Yep! Only one episode though, and I'm guessing it's a small role, but hey, I'm just happy she's working at all. She was on Wilfred for a while too. I'll check that show out eventually, too.

She was great on Wilfred. 

Agreed. Caity is a pretty girl, but Katrina Law is something else. She's by far the most beautiful woman on the show, IMO.

I could be wrong, but I think Allison Mack's lack of acting roles post-Smallville might have something to do with her lifestyle. She's deeply entrenched in the NXIVM cult (NXIVM bears a strong resemblance to Scientology in that it scams people out of their money for "self-improvement" classes).

I have heard the she does take some guru's career advice but far beyond that I got the impression that one)  Doing Smallville for ten years burned her out. and two) she's into the artsy side of theater.

• Love 1

I have heard the she does take some guru's career advice but far beyond that I got the impression that one)  Doing Smallville for ten years burned her out. and two) she's into the artsy side of theater.

In a couple of her blog post she definitely gives off the impression that she needed to take a step back once the show had ended.

• Love 2

Vixen is being made into a cartoon.

The more reason she should get a live action counterpart. Besides I heard that the animated series is only 6 episodes, its not even on TV but web series. Great news but Vixen deserve so much more..

• Love 1

Yeah, the cult has a female-centric self-improvement program called Jness. Allison is one of their main recruiters.

If they did that, Caity could play an entirely new character and be made up to look completely different with the help of prosthetic makeup.

You don't hire an attractive actress (or actor) and then bury them under prosthetics unless they are playing an alien.  Heck, even Barry's helmet/mask is pushing it and he takes the thing off all the time, even when it makes no sense.

I'm mostly interested in this because of Garber, Miller and Lotz. No offense to Robbie Amell, but he is bland city. Routh isn't my fave or anything, but he's loads better than RA. I don't wish for him on any show I'm watching to be honest. The CW's casting choices are a factor in why I don't watch most of their shows. Pretty cardboard cutouts in many cases.

I think the alt reality/different Sara could be interesting - more interesting than Lazarusing her back from the dead. It would create drama for crossovers without making 'death' completely meaningless on the show. But I agree with @apinknightmare too - alternate realities and timelines could end up being a giant mess if they don't do a better job with writing than what we've seen on Arrow this season.

Also, it doesn't matter if they call her Canary or something else. If they bring Sara Lance back, Laurel will never be able to dig out from under those comparisons. Even if they made Caity another character (doubtful if this is the same universe) the comparisons would probably still be made. Honestly, even with Sara dead she's suffering from the comparisons. I don't really expect that part to change. And unfortunately I think Arrow is stuck with Laurel. I don't see her ever being popular enough to move to a new show. The thing is, a move might be better for her because she'd be more likely to get her own story. Revolving her around Oliver has done little for her except bring fan resentment since a lot of KC's fans don't like it anymore than the Team Arrow fans do.

• Love 6

They can just give Sara the ability to resurect and not anyone else. She can be like The Doctor/Jack Harkness/Henry Morgan. And to a degree her back Story already fits that of DC's Resurection man. I know he's not a big popular character but it just seems easier than alternate universe Sara For a general audience.

I guess I just want our Sara back but with a new superhero name.

• Love 1

Also, it doesn't matter if they call her Canary or something else. If they bring Sara Lance back, Laurel will never be able to dig out from under those comparisons. Even if they made Caity another character (doubtful if this is the same universe) the comparisons would probably still be made.

Quite.  Buckles is always going to be a very, very distant second to Caity Lotz whatever she happens to be playing on this new show - because she's going to be kicking ass constantly or why would they have brought the actress back?

It's pretty funny though, from a "I wonder what's being said behind the scenes" way.

• Love 12

I think an alternate reality Sara could work. She wouldn't negate what happened because the Sara they knew would still be dead. This would be a different Sara with different experiences. They wouldn't need to even show her world. She could come through from her world with a warning then for reasons she can't go back. 

With Caity saying that she doesn't think that they will be telling Sara and Nyssa's time with the League, that could be because the new Sara never joined the League. She could've been picked up someone else. My Team 7 theory could work with this as well. New Sara gets picked up a covert government agency instead of Nyssa and trained by them. She'd still be highly trained and kickass but maybe not as damaged. She also could've never taken the name Canary and go by a different code name that they can make up. Having people deal with someone that looks exactly like a loved one is an interesting trope to see. 

Cassidy will forever be compared to Lotz no matter who she's playing. Lotz is trained in martial arts and stunt work and she's not. Laurel will still never be Sara. DeadSara, ResurrectedSara or an Alt RealitySara will not change that fact. 

• Love 6

Maybe, after all the speculation that Laurel would become Manhunter, they'll give that identity to Sarah. I mean, I know Laurel's back story makes her the better match for the character, but the same is true for Sarah and BC.

I don't think they can have Caity as the Canary, whether it's Sara resurrected or a Sara from another universe, without cutting the legs out from under Laurel's BC. I mean, yeah, I'd love to see it happen personally, but if they're bound and determined to keep Laurel as the "true" BC, than I think we're looking at a few different scenarios.

1) Our Sara is resurrected, but after learning that Laurel has taken up the BC mantle, decides to leave it with her, and goes to another city to start over. Ends up taking on a different superhero identity.

2) Another Sara comes from a different universe and gets trapped here, but either already is using a different identity or takes a different one out of respect to this universe's BC.

3) Caity is playing a different character altogether.

• Love 1

If they intend to do something on The Flash regarding time travel/alt realities this season, an Alt!Sara could pop up there first if they didn't want to put her back in the Arrow world. I don't think this is such a stretch for Arrow. They talked about that particle accelerator A LOT in season 2. So, they set the stage to explain Barry, but it can then be used to explain a lot of other things, too. It all just falls under theoretical physics at the end of the day. And while they might get into more explanation on The Flash, I could easily see it being a quick ramble from Felicity or one of the Team Flash members to explain it on Arrow.

I like the Team 7 idea. Sadly, the people in this forum will probably come up with better ideas than what we end up getting on the screen.

• Love 1

Well if they want to be unpredictable, they could have Sara come back as BC and have Laurel hang up the Buckles. I'm still waiting for the character who won't meet their comic destiny

By all accounts, that's more likely to be Oliver himself.

Though technically speaking, The Atom isn't a low rent Iron Man, so there's one character who hasn't met his comic book destiny.

• Love 4

If they intend to do something on The Flash regarding time travel/alt realities this season, an Alt!Sara could pop up there first if they didn't want to put her back in the Arrow world. I don't think this is such a stretch for Arrow. They talked about that particle accelerator A LOT in season 2. So, they set the stage to explain Barry, but it can then be used to explain a lot of other things, too. It all just falls under theoretical physics at the end of the day. And while they might get into more explanation on The Flash, I could easily see it being a quick ramble from Felicity or one of the Team Flash members to explain it on Arrow.

I like the Team 7 idea. Sadly, the people in this forum will probably come up with better ideas than what we end up getting on the screen.

Whatever they do they will want to keep it as simple as possible.  Unless they are planning on directly dealing with alternative universes or Earth 2's on a regular basis then I can't see them sending an alt Sara over to give a warning.  Yes, Flash is running (ha, see what I did there) with the idea of Barry trying to change that past and we see the future newspaper that depending on if Barry is alive or not, changes so that is an alternative world, but it only exists based on what Barry does or doesn't do and we already have Dr. Wells as the voice from the future so Sara would be redundant and worse yet, powerless to affect change over on an Atom/Firestorm show when it's Barry that is the key to saving the future. 

I think the keep it simple (as possible) rule also would eliminate Sara being apart of a new version of Team 7.  I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the hodgepodge group organizes into some kind of team, but I doubt TPTB would douse them with some kind of super juice in the hopes they'd develop powers since Garber/Stein already has some and Palmer has his super suit, plus it doesn't address how Sara is alive. 

Ivo did an awful lot of experimentation - did his comic counterpart ever dabble in cloning or anything?  Any chance that the Sara we saw wasn't the actual Sara or vice versa?  Also we have that big hole between her being washed off the Amazo and being found by Nyssa.  We never had a clear timeline for that.  Perhaps something happened in between.  Except cloning really is a stretch even in a universe that accepts meta humans and Lazarus pits.

Is it crazy that using the Lazarus pit really seems the simplest and most logical option? 

(edited)

I the Pit is the simplest and most straight forward path.

It's kind of funny, for the past 6 months or more all I've heard is Zombie Tommy and Lazarus Pit Tommy. Now, we have a character recently killed off that seems to be coming back as part of a spin-off and instead of going Lazarus Pit it's clones, AU, playing a different character, shape shifting martian, etc.

I think either AU Sara or Lazarus Sara are the most probable options. I love CL but she is NOT a big name, casting CL as Sara will get Arrow/Flash fans watching...casting CL as any other character will not be as effective (IMO).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I think it's just going to be basically be a low-rent Avengers thing. Some big threat will arise, and all the heroes (including Sarah, who will probably be resurrected in the Arrow season finale), will join forces to stop it. Then, all the spares: Firestorm, Atom, Sarah, Captain Cold (?!), anybody else they want to throw in, will decide to form a permanent Justice League/Superfriends group.

I think it's just going to be basically be a low-rent Avengers thing. Some big threat will arise, and all the heroes (including Sarah, who will probably be resurrected in the Arrow season finale), will join forces to stop it. Then, all the spares: Firestorm, Atom, Sarah, Captain Cold (?!), anybody else they want to throw in, will decide to form a permanent Justice League/Superfriends group.

Not super original, but could be eminently watchable. 

It's kind of funny, for the past 6 months or more all I've heard is Zombie Tommy and Lazarus Pit Tommy. Now, we have a character recently killed off that seems to be coming back as part of a spin-off and instead of going Lazarus Pit it's clones, AU, playing a different character, shape shifting martian, etc.

The timeline seemed to let ZombieTommy to be an option whereas ZombieSara seemed impossible not just because we know she was dead dead, but because bringing her back would make being stuck with her "replacement" all the worse.  Plus for all my crying out for ZombieTommy, I never really believed we had any chance of getting him...though I thought we had an even smaller chance at getting Sara back and here we are...so close. 

I suspect we are going to get a version of Sara back and the answer to how is she here will be something similar to what Malcolm spit out about death being an illusion.  Frankly I'd be so happy to have her back as to not care if it makes any sense. 

I think Lazarus pit is the easiest option (which makes it the most likely). However Sara being resurrected negates this whole season of Arrow because it was her dying that started everything. That makes me think that they really didn't think everything through.

They brought Sara in because they weren't ready for some odd reason for Laurel to be BC. Then Sara was well liked and became more popular than Laurel, but they decided to stick with their original plan and killed Sara off horribly resulting in backlash. So now they are bringing her back as the same character but she'll be a different hero? They can't have two BC's existing in the same universe especially one that's far superior than the other. It also makes less sense because Sara is the one that had the pet canary, saw the canary when she was floating around in the ocean after a shipwreck and choose that name for herself. Yet Laurel is going to be the one to keep that name? AltSara or a different character entirely is the only way for them to keep Laurel as the BC. 

I honestly don't know why Caity's involved with this. Did DC not want to lose her?

I also wonder what Cassidy thinks of this. She went radio silent last season when Sara/CL started getting more screentime. Maybe her con cancellations mean more then we think. 

• Love 6

I think Lazarus pit is the easiest option (which makes it the most likely). However Sara being resurrected negates this whole season of Arrow because it was her dying that started everything. That makes me think that they really didn't think everything through.

They brought Sara in because they weren't ready for some odd reason for Laurel to be BC. Then Sara was well liked and became more popular than Laurel, but they decided to stick with their original plan and killed Sara off horribly resulting in backlash. So now they are bringing her back as the same character but she'll be a different hero? They can't have two BC's existing in the same universe especially one that's far superior than the other. It also makes less sense because Sara is the one that had the pet canary, saw the canary when she was floating around in the ocean after a shipwreck and choose that name for herself. Yet Laurel is going to be the one to keep that name? AltSara or a different character entirely is the only way for them to keep Laurel as the BC. 

I honestly don't know why Caity's involved with this. Did DC not want to lose her?

I also wonder what Cassidy thinks of this. She went radio silent last season when Sara/CL started getting more screentime. Maybe her con cancellations mean more then we think. 

If KC suddenly clams up about Arrow, and starts putting all her focus into her fashion blog , we'll know CL is coming back as the Black Canary; if she doesn't, then well know that Sarah will get another identity.

Personally, I don't think they'll ever let go of Buckles, too much of their ego is wrapped up in trying to make her work. They can easily make Sarah Manhunter, Power Girl, Batwoman, Lady Blackhawk, or any other character DC will let them play with.

• Love 3
(edited)

Does anybody else get the feeling that this spin-off was originally supposed to be an Atom series? I think this was supposed to be Brandon Routh's show but, with reaction to Ray being lukewarm at best, they decided to make it a team-up series. Bringing in popular fan-favorite characters like Canary, Stein, and Captain Cold to draw in viewers that would have otherwise avoided a show centered on Ray Palmer.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 14