Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: The Intimacy Acceleration

An experiment designed to make participants fall in love piques Penny and Sheldon's interest, so they decide to put it to the test. Meanwhile, Leonard, Amy, Raj and Emily have an encounter with a "zombie" and Howard and Bernadette run into trouble at the airport.
Edited by TheOtherOne

Sheldon and Penny together is always a win.

"Sweetie, I'm comfortable around you too."

"Of course you are. I'm warm and soothing."

Heh.

Glad Mrs. Wolowitz's death wasn't resolved and forgotten in one episode. It's momentous enough it--and she--deserves to be remembered.

Leonard, Amy, Raj and Emily...were there too, I guess.

• Love 3

That was really nice!  My favorite line was from Sheldon: "Psychology, the doofus of the sciences!"    I also liked how they both said how creepy it was to be staring in each other's eyes.  The entire dialogue between them was excellent!

I felt bad for Howard though because he has regrets about not taking his Mom to the airport.  I thought they handled all of that really well too.  Bravo show! 

• Love 6

I'm relieved they didn't do any fat jokes about the size of his mother's urn or the amount of ashes or whatever other insulting thing they could have said. I'm really glad they kept it about the airline's error instead (and Bernadette stepping up for her husband: "One way or another we're leaving this airport with a dead body!" LOL).

I liked the conversation between Sheldon and Penny. 

I wish the locked-room puzzle had been more interesting. Even if it took me hours to figure out the puzzle and get out of the room, I would have been irritated because it seems like they put no real thought into the "zombie danger." One guy chained to the inside of a closet? Boring!  ;)

• Love 9

I was relieved that they didn't have Howard accidentally drop and spill the ashes. But being relieved isn't really good enough for a show.

I loved Penny's sweater.

The first couple of commercials featured pretty youngish women who are obviously under contract for a series of commercials (Toyota and a cell phone company) because I've seen them in several for the same product over several years. Can we hope that before the series ends (or even the season) that Penny will get a call out of the blue from her old agent for something similar?

• Love 2

I kept thinking that the urn would open and would be empty and then Howard would have been having a fit over that. I dreaded how this portion of the ep was going to go when I saw the previews last week. I'm glad (and shocked actually) to see that it was handled

tastefully.

Raj, Leonard, Amy & Emily were a big bore.

I really enjoy when Penny and Sheldon get to spend one-on-one time. I feel it helps Sheldon grow, as little as it is.

I wish the locked-room puzzle had been more interesting. Even if it took me hours to figure out the puzzle and get out of the room, I would have been irritated because it seems like they put no real thought into the "zombie danger." One guy chained to the inside of a closet? Boring!  ;)

I was hoping the key unlocked the zombie. But in the end, much like Halloween Haunt events, they can't touch you so as long as you keep that in the back of your mind there is no threat and shouldn't be fear.

I don't know... I usually like Penny and Sheldon together, but that felt like Shenny fan service.

I can guarantee you that no shipping fan base wants to hear "I think of you like a brother"/"I think of you like a sister"  come out of the mouths of a couple they ship. That feels like nails on a chalkboard-level of dismissive because it's usually the first way anti-shippers of so many fandoms attempt to dismiss a ship others love.  "But they're like siblings [implied---you're crazy to see something romantic there]."  They didn't even attempt a fake-out where either one felt anything romantic.

So nothing about that felt like fan service unless they remembered that Sheldon and Amy were one of the most reliable comedic duos in the early seasons and they're catering to the fans who miss the Adhesive Duck Deficiency kind of fun they used to have. 

The zombie thing felt like filler but there were a few really good lines in the missing ashes story.  I love when Bernadette gets tough.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

I really enjoy when Penny and Sheldon get to spend one-on-one time. I feel it helps Sheldon grow, as little as it is.

I was hoping the key unlocked the zombie. But in the end, much like Halloween Haunt events, they can't touch you so as long as you keep that in the back of your mind there is no threat and shouldn't be fear.

Penny and Sheldon together was nice. I don't know why they make such a good couple. And by "couple" I don't mean romantic, just two characters being together.

The zombie room thing was a big nothing. I wish the writers had figured out a way for Raj, Amy, and Leonard to do something related to the psychology test. (The doofus of the sciences) Instead we had Amy and Leonard doing a quick first-question joke, then that's it. 

I was glad there was more about the death of Howard's mother. It looked like Melissa Rauch was really tearing up at one point.

I don't care for Emily. It seems like the writers are trying to make her quirky, but it's just not working. I think this is a minority opinion, but I wish Lucy was still Raj's girlfriend. 

• Love 1

Doesn't Judaism have tenets forbidding cremation? I realize Howard has stated that he is a "High Holiday Jew", but I seem to recall that his mother was much more religious. Seemed like a fairly big oversight.

The zombie room thing was a big nothing.

The only part of that I liked was the zombie telling them to slow down and not give them a bad yelp review. It also seemed kind of poorly designed. The key to get out is behind one of the paintings? That would be one of the first things I would do in one of those. BTW do those things actually exist?

I don't care for Emily. It seems like the writers are trying to make her quirky, but it's just not working. I think this is a minority opinion, but I wish Lucy was still Raj's girlfriend.

I'm not really big on Emily either. I've liked Kate Mucci since "Scrubs", but didn't really like Lucy that much.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 4

Loved Penny and Sheldon together, as always. To me they are the heart of the show. Their moments of sweetness were genuinely touching, like when Penny admitted her intelligence insecurity and Sheldon shared how he struggled with decoding others' emotions.

"Bible juice" is my new favorite term for wine.

As someone who recently did the question game with her boyfriend, I can say the 4-minute romantic staring contest is indeed very weird.

• Love 11
Doesn't Judaism have tenets forbidding cremation? I realize Howard has stated that he is a "High Holiday Jew", but I seem to recall that his mother was much more religious. Seemed like a fairly big oversight.

I came here just to post that. IRL, her body would have been flown from FL to CA and she would have been buried the next day with a gravesite service. Howard would also be sitting shiva for seven days after the funeral while friends and family stop by to bring food and pay their respects. I was disappointed that NONE of the Jewish funeral rites were observed for Mrs. Wolowitz.

• Love 9

I could buy Mrs. Wolowitz having a burial service in Florida if that's where the majority of her family is. The cremation however is stretching it. Most Jews I know are better about observing the rituals surrounding death than anything else, religiously-speaking (although people tend to be more lax about sitting Shiva). Plus Howard has mentioned that he and his mother had plots already purchased; her body should have been sent back to LA for burial as quickly as possible. I have the feeling this storyline was done so the rest of the gang wouldn't have to attend her funeral, and that just seems wrong.

• Love 6

I wish Penny hadn't spilled the beans about Sheldon's secret. I liked the idea of only her knowing about it.

I agree.  To me that not only shows that Penny can't keep a confidence, but should destroy any trust Sheldon has in her and would never open up to her again about anything.

Screwing up that relationship is definitely not worth a sight gag to use in a bumper.

• Love 12

The only part of that I liked was the zombie telling them to slow down and not give them a bad yelp review. It also seemed kind of poorly designed. The key to get out is behind one of the paintings? That would be one of the first things I would do in one of those. BTW do those things actually exist?

Yup, they exist, but I think they're only becoming more popular in the states over just the last few months. I did a locked room in Poland a few months ago (they've had them for a long time) with some of my team members (work trip). We had the hardest room/puzzle, and they give you 30 minutes to get yourself out of the room. Ours was really hard, even involved reading passages in a book, finding zones on a map (and a map of poland at that, sheesh!) 

They're a lot of fun, and a great group activity. I live in LA, and I know they have one here now! 

I came here just to post that. IRL, her body would have been flown from FL to CA and she would have been buried the next day with a gravesite service. Howard would also be sitting shiva for seven days after the funeral while friends and family stop by to bring food and pay their respects. I was disappointed that NONE of the Jewish funeral rites were observed for Mrs. Wolowitz.

I felt the same way, and was even looking forward to how they would present a scene like this. All and all, it was an unexpected death so they probably had to find a way to fit it in while not derailing the other story lines they already had in place 

• Love 2

Sheldon describing is brain as 'heavy machinery' got a laugh out of me. I was worried about where they were taking the Sheldon/Penny scene, but the actors both played it very well and the brother/sister dynamic came through.

As noted by above posters, I was mighty relieved we didn't get a spilled ashes gag. I suspect they restrained themselves due to the actress passing away.

The mystery room thing went nowhere.

• Love 4

My mother had a Jewish Boss (Lou) for most of her life.  As a kid, I remember someone in Lou's family died and my mom said his family had to sit in Shiva.  I asked her, "momma why are they shivering?  Is it cold in the funeral parlor?"  True story.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

Emily is awful. There's no way she'd be dating Raj. Plus, his line abut being rich so he'd be assured a girlfriend showed what a dick he is.

I liked Lucy as a girlfriend for him. Unlike Emily, she wasn't out of his league.

Penny and Sheldon have been one of the best friendships on the show and continue to be so. They had some nice scenes together.

Although frowned upon, apparently Reform Judaism isn't as negative about cremation as Conservative or Orthodox Judaism.

I agree the locked room thing was really boring filler.  As for Emily, I don't see any chemistry between her & Raj. She doesn't fit with the rest of the cast IMO.  I was never a fan of Lucy's either.  Her nasal nervous Nelly personality was too quirky.  I think Raj should be dating the vet who treated Cinnamon after Leonard & Penny were dog sitting.  There was a spark between them, she's a doctor and loves animals. I want Raj to have a good relationship but Emily isn't the one!

• Love 14

...Although frowned upon, apparently Reform Judaism isn't as negative about cremation as Conservative or Orthodox Judaism.

--but I keep thinking of the episode with the "Goth girls" in which Howard said something about "still being able to be buried in a Jewish cemetery" because he didn't get a tattoo. By the way, I'm pretty sure the woman who ushered them into the locked room with the Zombie was played by the same actress who played Howard's Goth girl "date." That's the problem with old episodes running in syndication at the same time as new ones; the audience sees the inconsistencies days apart instead of years apart. This probably happens more frequently for me because I often see at least one rerun per week right before I leave to work my weekly evening shift.
  • Love 5

Count me in regarding the lack of fat jokes.  Before the preview last week showed that Mrs. W had been cremated, I was worried that Howard would say he had to buy two plots and an extra big casket.  Then I expected jokes about the huge urn and how heavy it was.  "You lost my mom's ashes?" could have been taken to new levels of low, but wasn't.  Spilling the ashes has been done to death, but usually when the character or the actor wasn't well liked.  It's usually followed by someone thoughtlessly vacuuming them up.

I didn't mind not seeing the funeral, but I wish that it had taken place in California so the whole gang could attend.  It would have been OK to show the after-funeral gathering, held at Mrs. W's home and hosted by Howard and Bernadette. 

It would have been a good time for Stuart and Howard to renew their friendship after it's discovered that Stuart is still staying at the house (although he's looking for a new place), and he's torn between attending the gathering while trying to hide from Howard, or just stay hidden in his room.  Howard finds out and heads up to Stuarts room intending to toss him out on his ear, but barges in and finds Stuart holding a picture of Mrs. W and crying. 

A few lines about how Mrs. W lifted Stuart out of his depression, she loved having someone on hand to help her and who appreciated her doting.  A mention that Mrs. W was aware of how intrusive she was in Howard's life and was happy to have someone she could focus on so her little boy could finally be a grown man, how she talked about Howard all the time and was very proud of him, how she loved Bernadette, and she was hoping that they'd have a couple of kids someday.

Together they go downstairs and deal with all the craziness that happens whenever their friends are forced into social situations with other people.  Sheldon notices that a lot of people are asking the same questions "When are Howard and Bernadette going to have kids?"  "What are they going to do with the house?", so he gets a whiteboard from Howards old room and writes all the questions and answers down and makes everyone read them before they're allowed to talk to anyone.  Penny keeps getting hit on by Howard's lustful cousins.  Amy's cruising the rooms making notes on how people are dealing with bereavement and forming her next chimp study.  Raj is showing everyone a picture of his hot girlfriend.  Leonard is rushing around trying to keep his friends from taking things too far while also trying to stare down Penny's admirers.  Bernadette is staying near Howard and smiling encouragingly when someone is saying nice things to him, and giving the evil eye when someone tries to sell him life insurance or make a ridiculously low offer on the house.  (When my FIL died, a neighbor showed up at the gathering and asked my MIL if he could start parking his motor home in her driveway since she didn't drive and would obviously sell the family car [makes very low offer on said car].  Then he grabbed a paper plate and filled it with enough food to feed 4 people and left, taking a bottle of soda with him.)

And every other minute someone drops off a food item.  "This is your mother's brisket recipe, Howard.  I made it in honor of her."  "Your mother made the best lasagna when my husband was in the hospital and she knew I didn't have it in me to cook.  So I made a lasagna for you.  If you already have enough food put it in the freezer to eat another time.  You really are too skinny!  Your mother always said so."

Naturally there's a large framed photo of Mrs. W, but we only get to see the back of it.

• Love 8

...Naturally there's a large framed photo of Mrs. W, but we only get to see the back of it.

I wouldn't need a whole funeral, but that is a missed opportunity. They could have opened the episode right after the funeral showing the back of the picture.
  • Love 4

LOL..  Over at another forum  they're saying how much they love how well Emily is fitting in  and hate the "forced"  Shenny interactions.  Here its the opposite. 

Cant please everyone .

As for me. I loved the Sheldon Penny time AND I think Emily is fitting in pretty well.  Granted she is unbelievably  understanding of Raj's  quirks.  From the taping reports the next episode is a Raj/Emily  centric episode so hang on to your hats.

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 1

Howard would also be sitting shiva for seven days after the funeral while friends and family stop by to bring food and pay their respects. I was disappointed that NONE of the Jewish funeral rites were observed for Mrs. Wolowitz.

Maybe that was done in Florida.  I thought it was all handled well.  As with any 30 minute show, they're limited on the amount of time in which to tell the story.  I thought it was the right amount of time spent on Howard, and allowing him to show his emotions about his Mom.   I did notice that they had a lingering shot of the photo of Carol Ann Susi on Sheldon & Leonard's refrigerator. I like that it's facing towards the living room, so she'll always be watching over the gang!

I loved the episode, but I am a little disappointed that Penny lied to Sheldon about keeping his birthday a secret.  I really wish they hadn't done that.  I've been in a somewhat similar situation and I hated it! 

I'm glad that Sheldon explained how stressful social situations are for him.  I've always felt bad for him whenever Leonard makes a snide remark to him.  You can tell by his expression that he's usually confused by the comment, and doesn't know if it's sarcasm or the person is actually mad at him.  Of course sometimes Sheldon's comments can be hurtful too, but sometimes I wish Leonard was a little less snarky with him.

Going by Lorre's vanity card, looks like they do read discussion forums about their show.  If you're reading this Mr. Lorre, I appreciated your message.  Thanks for all that you and the writers do to make this a great show!  Thanks for the gentle reminder to be mindful of our words.  ;) 

• Love 2

Unless it was for a quick writeup to include Carol Ann's death, the shiva should have and could have been an entire episode of its own.

It's fun to watch how Sheldon's and Penny's relationship has evolved. They're not sexual in any way, but it's the best growth of frenemies since Hawkeye and Charles in M*A*S*H.

Edit: So, Zahdii, when is Chuck Lorre going to pick you up for his writing team? :) Excellent spec!

Edited by NutmegsDad
  • Love 3

The Penny/Sheldon scenes were so much fun. I laughed out loud a couple of times which I rarely do watching the show.

The dialogues in their scenes were sharper and wittier than usual, and I can never get enough of their chemistry.

The dead mother storyline bugged me, but only because it sucked out part of the fun of Penny/Sheldon. For me, it would have worked better, if Howard's storyline had been part of another episode.

The puzzle room felt once again like the writers didn't know what to do with all the characters and just through it together.  Seemed kind of pointless, though I liked the zombie telling them to slow down and to give them a good yelp review.  At least they finally showed Emily again.  I don't think she is awful, but I really don't know if she fits in with the rest because they really havent had her on the show enough or consistently enough for me to judge. 

I like Penny and Sheldon together, they really are the most interesting relationship in the show.  I would never buy them romantically and I don't think the show would ever go in that direction, but they work well as a pair of interesting friends. 

• Love 1

I like Penny and Sheldon together, they really are the most interesting relationship in the show.  I would never buy them romantically and I don't think the show would ever go in that direction, but they work well as a pair of interesting friends. 

I agree with all this. It's great to have two characters with great chemistry who don't head for romantic coupledom.

• Love 2

I am very happy that we did not have an entire episode devoted to a funeral. Especially since the actress really died. I'm just not into funeral humor. I was also thrilled they didn't do the "spilled ashes" route.

• Love 5

Maybe that was done in Florida.  I thought it was all handled well.  As with any 30 minute show, they're limited on the amount of time in which to tell 

Going by Lorre's vanity card, looks like they do read discussion forums about their show.  If you're reading this Mr. Lorre, I appreciated your message.  Thanks for all that you and the writers do to make this a great show!  Thanks for the gentle reminder to be mindful of our words.  ;) 

I never read the vanity cards. What did it say?

Although frowned upon, apparently Reform Judaism isn't as negative about cremation as Conservative or Orthodox Judaism.

I was shocked too that Ms. Wolowitz was cremated. I'm not Jewish but I live in a heavily Jewish-populated area in South Florida and even if a Jewish person has an amputation, the limb is saved to be buried with the body. (I've seen on the news how a lady's limb was lost and the uproar it caused). Like the other poster mentioned, it would have been a great time for the gang to support Howard. I would have loved to see Howard's relatives and his mother's friends to show up. Lots of comedic gold there. Also, I had it in the back of my mind that perhaps the gone-but-not-forgotten Mr. Wolowitz might show up at the service or back at the house. 

• Love 2

By the way, I'm pretty sure the woman who ushered them into the locked room with the Zombie was played by the same actress who played Howard's Goth girl "date." That's the problem with old episodes running in syndication at the same time as new ones; the audience sees the inconsistencies days apart instead of years apart.

IMDB confirms that it was the same actress, but what's wrong with Bethany having a new job over five years later? Working at the Gap isn't usually a lifelong career.

• Love 2

By the way, I'm pretty sure the woman who ushered them into the locked room with the Zombie was played by the same actress who played Howard's Goth girl "date." 

Yep, it was the same actress. I recognized her right away! It would have been cool if they had connected the two episodes together. I like to think Raj didn't recognize her because she was "into" Howard back in the goth episode. ;)

I liked this episode a lot. I have always liked Sheldon and Penny together as just that - brother and sister. They don't take each other's bullshit, and I feel like both characters have learned a lot from the other. I was really glad they didn't go anywhere close to romantic stuff with them. It was just sweet, loving and touching.

I didn't mind that Leonard and Amy didn't go pass the first question of the questionnaire. While I think the sorta like each other and respect one another, I have always had the feeling they would rather not hang out together too much. It's like Leonard doesn't know how to handle Amy's awkwardness (and he should be an expert at that, what with being Sheldon's roommate!) and Amy finds him tedious. LOL

I didn't mind the zombie thing - yeah, it was clearly filler, but I don't mind, seeing as it was not the major plot of the episode.

Howard has had many touching scenes in the course of the series run. His dad's letter, last week with the death of his mother and this week with the whole thing about the urn. Very well done by everyone.

• Love 3

I didn't mind that Leonard and Amy didn't go pass the first question of the questionnaire. While I think the sorta like each other and respect one another, I have always had the feeling they would rather not hang out together too much. It's like Leonard doesn't know how to handle Amy's awkwardness (and he should be an expert at that, what with being Sheldon's roommate!) and Amy finds him tedious. LOL

I think what bums me about all that is that they once presented Amy and Leonard as getting along well and respecting each other. Didn't he once take her out on a date to a wedding or some other occasion because Sheldon didn't want to go? I recall they had a great time together. So it bothers me that the writers now treat their relationship as if that never existed and now they have some sort of annoyance with one another (especially on Amy's part toward Leonard). I thought her cutting him off so abruptly, dismissing his answer, was rude. I have no problem with the idea that they'll never fall for one another or even like one another beyond general niceties, but that they once did like one another and it's treated like that never happened bothers me.

• Love 5

The puzzle room felt once again like the writers didn't know what to do with all the characters and just through it together.The puzzle room felt once again like the writers didn't know what to do with all the characters and just through it together.

Maybe this was an episode that they had to rework in order to get Mrs. Wolowitz's death worked in.  It could be that there was supposed to be more to the puzzle story, but it needed to be cut short.  Just an idea.

As far as the vanity card, here's a link to it:  http://chucklorre.com/index-mom.php?p=492

So it bothers me that the writers now treat their relationship as if that never existed and now they have some sort of annoyance with one another (especially on Amy's part toward Leonard). I thought her cutting him off so abruptly, dismissing his answer, was rude.

I thought it was funny.  IMO, Amy realized that the whole experiment would probably end up being that anything she asked Leonard, his answer would involve Penny.  He's head over heels in love with her, so there was no point in pretending that he could fall in love with anybody else. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 1

Now that you mention it, I was hoping he would come up with a more creative answer than "Penny" when asked who he could have dinner with. I mean, I appreciate the sentiment of it, but come on... there are so many people you could have a wonderfully intellectual conversation with, I can't imagine Leonard couldn't come up with at least 100 options of people he'd love to meet and dine with and have a good conversation with. Even Sheldon admitted he would be happy meeting up with Penny and "Iron Man" for dessert, LOL.

• Love 1

After last week's episode I was expecting the gang to not be able to escape the zombie room, and when it was done they realized they failed due to a mistake Leonard made. Leonard is bad at puzzles after all.

Two good episodes in a row! I'm SO glad Penny and Sheldon did the test. Leonard would have made the thing boring, Amy's jokes tend to be too one-note and Raj is funny but could not carry the plotline. Sheldon was so well-rounded! One of my main criticisms of this show is that Sheldon always seems to be a caricature of himself, and I felt like they addressed that in this episode. I was almost afraid they were going to have Sheldon and Penny kiss during those 4 minutes, but it was light and funny and just the right amount of sentimental for a sitcom. 

The airport scene was also very good. Add me to the list of people who are glad no one made any fat jokes. I've seen the scattering of the ashes and the open casket shtick a million times in sitcoms, but I can't recall lost ashes. Kudos for originality.

The escape room... eh, I guess I'm just bitter cos my friends and I used a whole hour and we were still eaten by the zombie. 

• Love 4

LOL..  Over at another forum  they're saying how much they love how well Emily is fitting in  and hate the "forced"  Shenny interactions.  Here its the opposite. 

Cant please everyone .

As for me. I loved the Sheldon Penny time AND I think Emily is fitting in pretty well.  Granted she is unbelievably  understanding of Raj's  quirks.  From the taping reports the next episode is a Raj/Emily  centric episode so hang on to your hats.

Yeah,, I don't really get the Emily hate either. The actress is fun and likable (liked her very much in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries) and her character barely had a chance to grow. Remember how much Amy changed over the course of a few seasons. The first time we saw her she was a horrible female Sheldon clone.

• Love 2

I thought it was an excellent episode. I love when Sheldon and Penny have scenes together.  She humanizes him and he very much opens up to her.  Dare I say they have more chemistry by far than Penny and Leonard?  I don't want the show to go there, but the two characters/actors are very, very good together.

I was relieved that the Howard grieving scenes were short and sweet.  I think I'm in the minority who never loved the Mrs. Wolowitz character (not a fan of anyone screechy) and don't want her death to become a frequent plot point.  The show had to address it and I think the writers (and Simon Helberg) did a stellar job.

• Love 3

To me that not only shows that Penny can't keep a confidence, but should destroy any trust Sheldon has in her and would never open up to her again about anything.

That was my takeaway too. Sheldon managed to keep his birthday a secret for 8 years - Penny couldn't keep it for 8 hours. It was important to him and he clearly said he dreaded the idea of a surprise party. So what does Penny do? Blabs it and throws a surprise party. I probably wouldn't tell Penny any more secrets if I were him after that.

• Love 7