Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E16: December Solstice

• Start Topic

I wish they would flesh out Carisi's character a little bit. But, knowing SVU, they would make is life tragic and dramatic. What would be great is if they would stop makong Carisi a character that the other detective's can't stand. I think the only one who doesn't have a problem with him is Fin. I actually love him and Carisi as partners. I wouldn't be mad if they brought back the author's daughter who gave him the book.

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 1

I won't say much about this ep cause I don't really have anything nice (or witty) to say, just found it boring. 

I found the episode pretty boring too and I didn’t find Barba’s personal drama any more compelling or interesting than any other characters’ personal drama. I did like his mom and her telling Benson that she drives him crazy though. 

I lost both my grandmothers when I was really young, I would love to make it to Barba’s age and still have a grandparent in my life. Not that it makes the loss any less painful for him but I couldn’t help but think how fortunate he was to have had that long with her.

Never even crossed my mind that she committed suicide till I read it here, I thought it being natural causes was pretty obvious considering her age and deteriorating health. Interesting to see how people interpret things differently. 

I love Carisi but I didn’t like him fangirling over some violent chauvinistic author who put one of his many wives through a plate glass window and then punished his daughter with that woman because she wasn’t too thrilled with him as a result. I disagree with Carisi that we should separate the art from the person, if someone is a shitty individual, I have trouble seeing beyond that and appreciating their work no matter how good it is. 

I will say I was a little thrown by the ending. I’m usually pretty good at seeing the “SVU twist” coming from a mile away but I wasn’t expecting the wife to be somewhat redeemed by the post-mortem video and the daughters be thrown under the bus.

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 3

Really, I sort of see it as Carisi looking for the approval/respect of someone he holds in high regard. 

Sometimes it comes across this way, but a lot of the time it comes across as him trying to tell Barba how to do his job. One example is in Decaying Morality when he "helpfully reminds" Barba that the defendant could walk on a murder because he was emotionally disturbed, as if Barba wasn't aware already.

Really, I sort of see it as Carisi looking for the approval/respect of someone he holds in high regard. 

That's how I see it too. Carisi just seems excited to show off his legal knowledge but Barba's always so condescending towards him and shuts him down. But then again everyone seems to be annoyed by Carisi so it's not just Barba. But aside from maybe being a little over-eager and at times kind of clueless, I don't think Carisi is doing anything to warrant that type of reaction from his co-workers. It just seems like a running gag that he manages to get on everyone's nerves.  

• Love 5

I don't get why anyone hates Carisi. He doesn't seem like as much of a brown-noser as  Amanda Rollins  was when she first started. Maybe people don't mind because she's a pretty blond woman?

Maybe if Nick hadn't been put in anger management or Rollins didn't have that stupid gambling problem that almost resulted her in servicing an undercover police officer, I might understand their reluctance to like a new person, but so far Carisi seems like the only person I wouldn't be anxious to go out to a Starbucks with.  (Ditto for Ice-T, I think).   

Edited by bantering

When Barba was introduced, he was insensitive, but so smart, sassy, and most of all interesting that I could forgive it. He was likable as a character if not a person.

Carisi is just as insensitive, but is dim-witted and boring. He exists solely so he can say something dumb that then gets him scolded by the more senior detectives. He is a chasm of a character; he doesn't contribute... anything. This isn't a knock against Peter Scanavino, but... there's just no there there. Nothing about him pulls me into a scene like Barba does. With Barba, I often forget I am watching a TV show. With Carisi... I get pain in my forehead from smacking it so much.

• Love 1

I usually hang over with the XPhiles, but I had to pop in since I'm finally caught up on svu and say how fast Barba is becoming one of my favorites. His banter with Olivia is the best, and if they don't freaking grow old together and snark law at each other when they're 85 it will be a tragedy.

The way he held Noah like he was a bomb was hilarious. And reassuring Olivia that no, they did not have to disclose that Noah's father was Pimp WhatsHisName. The line about the toy box...so perfect yet so understated so they don't hit you over the head with How Funny He Is.

• Love 2