Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E01: It's Survivor Warfare

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

So is an idiot.  IMO, three tribes of 6 is ideal.  It allows you to form a core F3/F4 alliance, and then work in overlapping larger alliances at the merge/swap/etc who aren't aware of each other's existence and thus protect yourself until the end.

I think by "younger", So meant "hotter".  Which may be true.  But I think the more she opens her mouth the less Hot she gets.

• Love 2

I think So has to a degree been a victim of the editing and the weird dynamics of a 6 person tribe (where you have to find a point of attack relatively quickly).

I can't help but recall that she originally really didn't seem comfortable with the lying strategy and just adapted badly to it--grasping for the first hold she could on a strategy to differentiate herself from the other girls.

I was hoping So would use Joaquin's "let's grab the idol clue and lie about it" against him, but she somehow decided that by agreeing to his tactic she was bound to be his alliance-mate with no other choices.  She should have had him deliver the very poor lie to get things kicked off and told others (behind his back) that he was the one who wanted to grab the alliance clue and lie to the tribe.

This may have been discussed,so excuse me if it had but what (if anyone knows) is the story with Rods sister and him finding her. It sounded like she had been murdered they way he described it. I searched but did not find any info out. Unless I have his name wrong. Anyone know? Thanks!

My thoughts when hearing his story was that she had OD'd but he wanted to make it sound like a murder (because chicks dig that more, I guess).

Vince creeps me out, he's way to rigid in his devotion to not play by the rules.  Plus I'm one of the many who found his behavior towards Jenn more than a little creepy.  He's Coach 2.0 with a far too much Brandon Hanz added in.

The dude from the blue collar tribe who decided to run around the beach in his underwear was also creepy and has no terrible social skills.

I find the whole white collar/blue collar/no collar thing to be silly.  I would have loved if the white collar tribe was a group of middle manager types who had their careers stalled out. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It made me go Hmm because she is freakin 30, not 21. Shirin is also 30. Tyler is 32/33. So that makes 4 out of the 6 (the majority) in their late 20s/early 30s. She sounded delusional and bitter in her exit interviews. Good riddance.

Yeah, I read in her Parade magazine interview that she felt her and Joaquin were the first to go because they were the youngest and I had the same thought that you did, "Shirin is basically the same age as you! Max is not that much older!" I didn't even realize Tyler was so close to her age as well. That means that 5 out of 6 players on the tribe were around her age. Going by age Carolyn would have been way more likely to be voted out.

I agree with Alapaki, I think by youngest she meant hottest. Which is So dumb. I know there have been a few instances where looks have played a part on how the game turned out (Morgan getting singled out on Day 1 of Cagayan for example), but I really think that attractiveness has little to do with the game for the most part.

Ugh, Parvati.  If that women were suddenly unable to see what she and everyone else looked like, her brain wouldn't be able to function.  And Jeff is nauseating every time he boasts about her "game play."

Directing my bitchiness elsewhere, there was a comment at EW that Vince would be the first survivor leaving the island in handcuffs.

I'm surprised the editors didn't save the dark side footage of their star free-spirit hippie dude until later.  Maybe Vince doesn't last long enough to have an arc or maybe he gets even creepier.

I've never understood why people can't see how Shallow she is.

Yes, I've made a bunch (or So many, if you will) of horrible name jokes in this post.

Edited by wudpixie

I agree with Alapaki, I think by youngest she meant hottest. Which is So dumb. I know there have been a few instances where looks have played a part on how the game turned out (Morgan getting singled out on Day 1 of Cagayan for example), but I really think that attractiveness has little to do with the game for the most part.

According to Heidi Strobel it's considered a handicap :)

(edited)

So one of those who chose to first step up were, in the end, voted out.  Whoever of them that warned themselves of that risk was right.  But it was foolish to play the villain card too early,  for the other two tribes that became obvious. For one So didn't even know who she was getting in bed with, so to speak. I think any other one of the duos on every tribe that went on that hidden "important decision" would have gone home if not So.  The "large" bag was purposely not too big in order to seed the kind of doubt even with those that chose to be honest. 

I'd do the honest thing,  mostly because i wasn't alone and would not know if I could trust the other person and if it leaked or they gave it away or told someone else...I wouldn't have any control on something that could easily come back to stab me. And also of course for the good will and such...........really.

But then I'd explain the predicament about the size of the bag and the ramifications of such to the other player and come to an agreement to say that it was a choice between fire starting kit, blankets, or beans. And don't breathe a word about "Deceive"  or a "smaller bag of rice" at all.

Ah...the benefits of retrospection.

And the benefits of preparation. I second the hoorah for someone actually learning how to make fire before coming on the show. It only took how many seasons?

Edited by allthatglitters
  • Love 2

8 yr-old opinion on what So/Jo should have said (IF they were going to lie, which she was disappointed in):  

"We had to choose between a big mystery box and this bag of beans.  There may have been two bags of beans under the mystery box, but it wasn't worth risking not having any food."  ...Then, wonder out loud all day about what delicious food might have been in the mystery box until everyone says you made the right decision. 

But as I pointed out, when the tribes come together this is bound to come up in conversation and you're bound to get caught. 

Khaleesi:  "That's why you don't lie.  Because you weave a tangled web.  With lying spiders.  Lyders."   

• Love 8
(edited)

Smart eight-year-old! On the other hand Drogo's point is valid too. All the more reason to stay away from that situation, and all the more reason it seems like a trap the PTB set to punish the unwary.

So if it became standard conventional wisdom, at least among all six (or at least five) members of a given six person tribe, that it is unwise to do something like this, how would the two be chosen?

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 2

Smart eight-year-old! On the other hand Drogo's point is valid too. All the more reason to stay away from that situation, and all the more reason it seems like a trap the PTB set to punish the unwary.

So if it became standard conventional wisdom, at least among all six (or at least five) members of a given six person tribe, that it is unwise to do something like this, how would the two be chosen?

Some idiot will always step up and volunteer to be the leader, it's a given.  I thought the leader than chose the second person, right?  That meant So didn't really have a choice because if she refused Joaquin picking her that would be used against her.

• Love 3

Joaquin has that Patrick Bateman "American Psycho" thing happening, doesn't he?  I wonder how many mirrors he has in his apartment.  And Phil Collins LPs. 

• Love 4

Some idiot will always step up and volunteer to be the leader, it's a given.  I thought the leader than chose the second person, right?  That meant So didn't really have a choice because if she refused Joaquin picking her that would be used against her.

Didn't So volunteer to be the second?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

• Love 2

Most of the times the tribe elect a leader it's a man. That may be good for the female contestants, since being the leader puts a target on your back, but it's also kind of depressing. I'm pretty sure when the other players are electing a person they're not thinking "we can't have women because it'll put a target on their backs". It's more "we need a strong, capable man to do the job". Ugh.

• Love 4
I thought the leader than chose the second person, right?  That meant So didn't really have a choice because if she refused Joaquin picking her that would be used against her.

Jeff's instructions were for the "leader" to select someone else to assist them.  But IIRC all three of them turned to their Tribe and asked for volunteers.  That's the time where everyone should start counting the pores on their toes, not stepping up.  

So that makes So just so, so sudio stupid

• Love 5
(edited)

I was actually impressed that Max knew to keep his trap shut during the leader-pick (and said so in his TH), because he looked to me like the kind of guy who would've ended up being "chosen" as leader just purely based on gender/looks/age/beard/height.    Which is I think how these decisions get made.

Many of these people might know that it's not a good thing to be designated leader, but in the moment, I think ego sometimes overtakes them.  :)

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

.  Anyway, good for Carolyn for finding it, and for not going down without a fight, but the way she argues drives me up the wall.  It will be hard to get used to, if she goes all the way.  But I will try.

Where I live, everyone is like Carolyn.  Every day.   Everywhere.

• Love 2
Khaleesi:  "That's why you don't lie.  Because you weave a tangled web.  With lying spiders.  Lyders."

I think my favorite part of posting in this forum is reading what Khaleesi has to say. =)

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm getting a late start on this season, so forgive me if I'm repeating what's already been said.  First thought on the immunity challenge when watching the white collar tribe: Team Building!  lol.  As for So, I'm of two minds about it.  On the one hand, I wanted to see her get her comeuppance, but on the other hand I wanted it to happen on like Day 26.  This was one of those rare times when the first person voted out wasn't the usual schlub who got kicked for being a weak link.  So was voted out for being a threat.  It was too bad in a way, because she had the potential to be a formiddable villain on the show.  I could even tell Jeff wasn't too happy about it either, you know they handpicked So to fill that role for ratings.  It's her own fault though, instead of being subtle she overplayed her hand from the get-go, and the lie about the beans was lame.  So long, So.  Of other note, Coconut Boy has some issues.  This is Survivor, not Match.com.  Looking forward to the rest of this season.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Just started rewatching this and have to remind everyone of the most profound statement ever said on Survivor:

As a coconut vendor, I seek truth.

Courtesy of Vincent Sly, feathers in his hair, looking like a modern Barnaby Ridge.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1