Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E01: It's Survivor Warfare

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Thanks for the man candy this season!

I like Carolyn for being practical and level headed with the whole "can't hold a grudge, I'd do the same thing with the initial decision" and snagging that HII, then not playing it (presumably on the strength of stuff we didn't see).  Also the blonde girl the coconut vendor was creeping on, is it Jennifer? I like her confessionals - she's my chickendaddy's imaginary Survivor girlfriend this season. Sadly, my imaginary Survivor boyfriend ate a raw scorpion.

Gel monkey Joaquin has a glorious head of hair once all the product is washed out of it.

• Love 5
I will never for the life of me understand why people tell someone they have an idol so early in the game. When you are still feeling people out and getting to know them, I'd keep everything to myself until later when I have seen someone prove I can trust them.

Assuming you want to hold onto the HII as long as you can, the goal is to deter people from voting for you.  To paraphrase the last scene in Dr. Strangelove, the nukes are only a deterrent if the other side knows you have them.  

At that point, Carolyn obviously knew that she was in jeopardy.  By concealing the fact that she had a HII, she gave her enemies no reason to risk or fear voting for her.  That's fine if her goal was to play her HII and knock someone out on the bounce-back vote.  But assuming she wanted to survive TC with the HII intact, she needed people to know she had the HII.

At that point, it's a question of which side is more risk averse.  By voting for Carolyn, Joaquin/So & Co. risk being targeted on the bounce-back.  By not playing the HII, Carolyn ran the risk of her enemies voting for her anyway.

I think history has shown that most players are extremely risk averse when they know someone has a HII.  Without being certain that anyone other than Shirin was on her side, I think it was strategically sound for Carolyn to try to plant that risk amongst the others.

Granted, theoretically So/Joaquin could've voted Carolyn while the other two guys voted Shirin, assuming Shirin/Carolyn would've voted for one of them, then banded together to vote out Shirin 3-0 if Carolyn played her HII or vote out Carolyn if she didn't play her HII.  But So and Joaquin were apparently not smart enough to propose that.  And I think from the way it played out the other guys were happy to get rid of So (and to leave Joaquin as dead-man walking) anyway. 

Edited by Alapaki
  • Love 6

Dan is my least favorite type of person -- a bigmouth blowhard who has no idea what he's talking about.

"Bamboo is hollow, it won't hold."  What the hell?  I think Southeast Asia would have figured that out by now, considering they have used bamboo for construction for centuries.  Has this idiot never even seen a bamboo hut before? Hey look, Wikipedia just stopped by and said, "Bamboo, like true wood, is a natural composite material with a high strength-to-weight ratio useful for structures."

It boggles my mind that someone can blast a tribemate with "That's the stupidest thing I ever heard" and immediately follow that up with a gem like "You can't build a shelter with bamboo."  Can't wait for this bozo to be sent packing.

• Love 15

Bamboo is as strong as steel.   Postal worker was dead wrong.

Yeah, in China, you'll see bamboo used to make scaffolding on construction sites -- many stories tall.

Notable:

Carolyn:  For all the reasons previously mentioned I like her.  That she understands that it's a game and understands how to game.  Good on her.

Jenn:  Kept her head and her composure (aka ability to lie well) in the face of Vince's super-creepy stalker-ish behavior.  Keeping your own counsel and controlling your revulsion can take you far on Survivor. 

Guy-who-ate-scorpion:   Enjoy those 2 grams of pure protein, guy.

Joe:  Gets it done!  And doesn't brag about it.  My kind of Survivor.   Has a Malcolm vibe, but less full of himself.

Dan:  Ugh.  I guess it's great he's so confident in his body, as somebody said, but I felt like even the editors were embarrassed.  Like they showed him full frontal to us, but then kind of focused more from the chest up.  I confess, I started out with a bad attitude about him based on his TH:  "you will remember me!"  Get over yourself.

Max:  Seems to have good instincts but the problem with smart people on Survivor is that they often can't help themselves showing off how smart they are (cf:  I would have lied way better).  Still, I'm a sucker for a guy with his look/demeanor/smarts.  Also, I like people who are thrilled to be there.

Guy-with-the-dead-sister:  Who tattoos a long text under their arm so that to show it off, the other person has to duck down and basically put their nose in your armpit?   I really want his sister to be alive and for him to be that stupid that he made that tattoo just to get chicks.

Tyler:  Needs to keep a check on his smug face/side-eye at TC.  That could pose a problem for you.  Or maybe it was just one face, and the editors kept showing it to us.  I like his cute plaid shirt, though.

and finally...

Vince:  Sigh.  So much already said.  I'd say "what a maroon" but he might actually be a danger out there.   You may know that in the Caribbean, say in the Bahamas, these guys will walk up and down the beach selling coconuts to people sunbathing.  They basically have a cart of coconuts, and then they machete the top off, add rum, put a straw in and hand it to you.  I'm guessing that is what he does.   

• Love 5

Granted, theoretically So/Joaquin could've voted Carolyn while the other two guys voted Shirin, assuming Shirin/Carolyn would've voted for one of them, then banded together to vote out Shirin 3-0 if Carolyn played her HII or vote out Carolyn if she didn't play her HII.  But So and Joaquin were apparently not smart enough to propose that.  And I think from the way it played out the other guys were happy to get rid of So (and to leave Joaquin as dead-man walking) anyway. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Max/Tyler wanted So to go so they'd have control over Joaquin's vote for the next tribal. 

• Love 4
I'm curious why the target fell on Carolyn rather than Shirin.  So's argument that "at least Shirin put herself out there" seemed like 100% pretext (of course, worded in the "white-collar-speak" that they've realized they have to give TPTB).  Maybe So will address this in a post-boot interview.

Given how much we heard from Carolyn and how little we heard from Shirin, I am guessing that Carolyn was playing hard at camp and was louder. If you are going to choose between two people who you think are weak you are most likely to vote out the louder, more aggressive of the two. Carolyn reminds me of Trish with a better job. She is going to be that person who will say what she wants and be proud of her brutal honesty. I could be wrong about that but she had a very aggressive edit this episode.

• Love 2

Does anyone know why they got a bag of beans instead of the more traditional rice? Also, what country are they in this time?

Lastly, does anyone understand why creepy coconut guy was holding his mouth open when they were coming in on the trucks? It looked like he was a little kid trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue. Majorly weird.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

The ones standing out to me are Joe (no collar) and Tyler (white collar).   Too early to root for anyone but these are contenders. 

Easy first outs, Vince (feathers) and Dan (blue collar). 

I also think it is very possible white collar will lose again and Carolyn would go.  

They'd have to be crafty because Carolyn has the HII and is good at reading people.  

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 2

Max:  Seems to have good instincts but the problem with smart people on Survivor is that they often can't help themselves showing off how smart they are (cf:  I would have lied way better).  Still, I'm a sucker for a guy with his look/demeanor/smarts.  Also, I like people who are thrilled to be there.

He's Cochran Lite. Not as nerdy, but still one of those fans obsessed with the game.

• Love 4

As for white collar-Tyler was an assistant.  There's no way he 'makes' any rules.

Actually an assistant at a big talent agency is a pretty hardcore position. Think Lloyd on "Entorage".  While he might not have been making "rules" he would have had to engage in some very high level decision making on a daily basis.  And balancing/feeding the egos of Hollywood types must take some particular skills.

I'm feeling optimistic about the three team set up and what we've seen from the players so far.  While it is still early, this seems to have the potential to be a very enjoyable season.

• Love 2

Another fine point in Carolyn's favor was controlling herself with a silent happy squee after she found the idol.  Someone from last season--Natalie?--found the idol but couldn't stop herself from screaming hallelujah and earned herself a mess with her friend and friend's mother.

(I don't know how you all remember their names.  [see @Cooksdelight]  After 30 seasons, I've only retained a firm grip on about a dozen of 'em.)

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

I'm a little surprised that no one other than Sierra thought the big bag of beans was the small one. It did look skimpier than the bags they've handed out in the past, but none of the people doing the choosing seemed to notice that or think it might make them look like they'd chosen "deceive" when they hadn't. If people are going to mistrust you when you've done the honest thing, it might make more sense to take the small bag, share the clue with the whole tribe, and then try to get to the idol first.

On the blue collar tribe, I like Dan and Mike, but they're both kind of dopey and I expect them to go early. Kelly seems slightly less awful than Sierra and Lindsay but that's not saying much, and Rodney is gross. Who uses, "I found my sister in a pool of blood," as an icebreaker?

No-collar is unsurprisingly the most colorful of the tribes even though half of them got almost no screentime. I love Jenn already and I fear for her. Vince might be the creepiest guy they've ever had on this show and that's even taking Rodney into account. He's like both Coach and Brandon, but more rapey. Please make him go away. I'm undecided on Joe. He seems competent and level-headed, but -- and this is pure shallowness on my part -- he has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

White collar does look like it's going to implode. I think Tyler has the most strategic sense, but I'm not sure about his social game. He might be a little too detached or aloof or something for the others to trust him. Carolyn's playing smart, but she is pretty grating. Max and Shirin look like fodder, and Joaquin is just a meathead.

• Love 4
Because all that time spent in the ocean/salt water would mean seriously ratty heads of hair, yet the women's hair rarely looks that neglected.

Every season I strongly suspect this and I've yet to hear anything suggesting that there's a hair dresser just out of shot.  I've actually spent time under similar conditions (deserted island, no facilities) and within two days we all had 'helmet head' which bathing in the ocean did little to abate.  After 5 days I couldn't stand it any longer so used a gallon of my precious fresh water reserve to wash my hair.   I have no idea how these guys keep looking salon-fresh.

I may be alone in this but I'll miss So.  She was a bit obnoxious and apparently had no game, but she was ... not a chore to look upon.  

ETA: gah - rewatching the team intro scene and I'm already sick unto death of the whole collar thing, sounds so much like a horoscope description of personality traits.  I'm now grading contestants based on their eagerness to frame themselves and their world around their 'collar' bullshit, and I'm absolutely convinced that Probst came up with this shite after talking to Tyler Perry.  Stop talking to Tyler Perry, Jeffy, he's as bad with his hackneyed stereotypes as you are.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 2

Is "Boston guy" a stock character on Survivor now, like "bitchy gay guy" and "older mom type?"

Ha!  If so, TAR is in on the memo.  

Maybe Survivor is desperately trying for a Boston Rob 2.0, but doesn't realize the "Boston" part was irrelevent?  

Does anyone know why they got a bag of beans instead of the more traditional rice? Also, what country are they in this time?

I assume they have rice and beans at camp with their other stock staples and the 'bonus bag' was just additional food.  

Whoever said they should make salt is right.  Not just for taste, but more importantly to keep their electrolytes balanced with the potential dehydration/malnutrition.

Is there a reason they have to 'make salt'?  Can't they just use some sea water in cooking?  

I'm a little surprised that no one other than Sierra thought the big bag of beans was the small one. It did look skimpier than the bags they've handed out in the past, 

I figure that was 'bonus beans'.  If it wasn't that tiny bag isn't going to feed many for long.  

Good premiere.  I too would've picked the 50 piece puzzle.  I think Shirin just choked.  

I got tired of the "in stereotype" comments coming out of the contestants and began to feel they were prompted.  Especially the no collars and all their talk about being free spirits and all.  I bet the law student was thinking, "I want to be with my people, the white collars."  

The white collar stereotype didn't seem quite accurate to me.  Jeff kind of acted like they were silver spoon types, all in charge of divisions or something.  Most white collar jobs are 'rank and file' and require college degrees, which is plenty of hard work.  

I got tired of the "in stereotype"comments coming out of the contestants and began to feel they were prompted. Especially the no collars and all their talk about being free spirits and all.

Yes, since finding out Will is an actor, the actors I know are very disciplined people who take their chosen career seriously and work hard.

• Love 1
Maybe Survivor is desperately trying for a Boston Rob 2.0, but doesn't realize the "Boston" part was irrelevant?

You mean someone who takes four times to wins the games and is considered a Survivor god after he finally beat a bunch of sheep that were hand picked for him to play against so that he could win?

I suspect the prominence of Boston folks on the various shows is because there are a large number of people who are from that area and it gives viewers from the Boston area an additional reason to watch, just like they case Southern characters. There is a specific stereotype for the Boston area that many people find interesting. But both Boston Rod and Rod are involved in construction and have over sized egos. We shall see if there are other similarities.

• Love 3
Maybe Survivor is desperately trying for a Boston Rob 2.0, but doesn't realize the "Boston" part was irrelevent?

I think the casting of Massholes really kicked into high-gear after the Marathon Bombing with all the "Boston Strong" stuff. 

Which ought to provide reality-tv viewers with a claim against the bombers for infliction of emotional distress.

• Love 7

I think the casting of Massholes really kicked into high-gear after the Marathon Bombing with all the "Boston Strong" stuff. 

Oh I agree.  With 18 slots, X must-have stereotypes and Y large US cities, I think Boston's been way over-represented since then.  Or go ahead and cast the Bostonians you like but do they HAVE TO advertise their town on their shirt? 

But both Boston Rod [think you meant 'Rob' here] and Rod are involved in construction and have over sized egos. We shall see if there are other similarities.

I can't see this guy as anything other than an attempt to re-mint 'survivor gold'.   They might be trying to expand their audience by focused demographic casting but I bet it doesn't work all that well.  If it did, then their numbers would be just crazy in the 'out of work actor / bartender' demographic.

I did enjoy the weird segue of 'I see you have noticed my body art.  Please to let me inform you as to the heartbreaking story behind my armpit-words'.   Along with all the collar crap, seems like the PAs are working overtime this season with the prompting.  

• Love 6

First of all I have to say I LOVE both Survivor and Jeff so much and I'm so happy it has once again started! Yeah, I'm an enthusiast, no collar fan of Survivor :)

I'm satisfied this time (unlikely last season) with the personalities they have chosen. If Joaquin and Son had played it right, I'm sure they'd conquer this game. I admired Carolyn who found the HII only by catching Joaquin's and So's lies and just following her, so brilliant. I like all people from the white collar tribe (except Joaquin who is a cut throat SOAB) and I'm surprised to say that cause it would seem they would be the most "bossy and bitchy" people of all. From no collar tribe I was mad at Jenn who was making fun of that poor feather hair guy, he seemed to be honest and humble and I didn't appreciate her lying to his face about her finding Joe attractive. In a show where having good connections regardless if you like someone or if you could be friends with someone in real life is the key to the million dollars I think Jenn behaved stupidly. She could take her chance and have a dedicated ally right then and there, but she prefered the good looking Don Juan. I hope this doesn't come back to bite her later. About blue collar tribe, I was mad at the women making fun of the older guy, it was inappropriate and it was purely an offense towards his real life self rather than his game self which I find disturbing and disrespectful. I realize that these people live together and some people can be annoying, but they signed up for this and showing disrespect is not the answer.

I'm expecting a great season and I hope we see many many blindsides!

• Love 2
As long as he's smart enough to sidestep a love triangle, he should go far.

Unfortunately for him, he may end up in one through no fault of his own. Little White Feather is clearly crazy as hell and decided that there was some connection or relationship or whatever between him and Jenn and any attention she gives to Joe is going to bug him and make him consider Joe a target. Not to mention he's only going to get nuttier if Joe keeps showing him up like he did this episode. 

He might be a little too detached or aloof or something for the others to trust him.

Well he was able to get Carolyn to just tell him she had the hidden immunity idol and he didn't even have to do much other than tell her she was on the chopping block and bring up the idol in relation to So and Joaquin. So he may be smoother than he looks. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

As a coconut vendor, I obviously seek the truth.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Looks like Joe is the new Ozzy -- man, he can do everything well, can't he?  As long as he's smart enough to sidestep a love triangle, he should go far.

I am loving Joe so far.  

My husband and I were calling Vince the "feathered Fabio".... at least he thinks he's Fabio.

• Love 5
I'm curious why the target fell on Carolyn rather than Shirin.  So's argument that "at least Shirin put herself out there" seemed like 100% pretext (of course, worded in the "white-collar-speak" that they've realized they have to give TPTB).  Maybe So will address this in a post-boot interview.

It seemed like So was saying - "Shireen may have failed, but at least she tried. Carolyn doesn't try at all, so no matter what she will always fail". I guess that logic kind of makes sense, but....I didn't see it as accurate. Granted, there were a lot of players to watch last night so it's easy to miss something. But Carolyn did not seem particularly like a coaster to me. 

I think the real reason was because Carolyn seemed fiesty and maybe they thought Shireen would get booted eventually and wasn't much of a threat anyhow. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2

When Will was babbling about making sandwiches for the group and Peachy was just stupefied by how ridiculous Willie was sounding, it reminded me of the movie 'Bad Santa'.

Kid: Should I fix you some sandwiches?
Willie: I don't want any fucking sandwiches. What is it with you and fixin' fucking sandwiches?

• Love 2

Yeah, in China, you'll see bamboo used to make scaffolding on construction sites -- many stories tall.

Notable:

Carolyn: For all the reasons previously mentioned I like her. That she understands that it's a game and understands how to game. Good on her.

Jenn: Kept her head and her composure (aka ability to lie well) in the face of Vince's super-creepy stalker-ish behavior. Keeping your own counsel and controlling your revulsion can take you far on Survivor.

Guy-who-ate-scorpion: Enjoy those 2 grams of pure protein, guy.

Joe: Gets it done! And doesn't brag about it. My kind of Survivor. Has a Malcolm vibe, but less full of himself.

Dan: Ugh. I guess it's great he's so confident in his body, as somebody said, but I felt like even the editors were embarrassed. Like they showed him full frontal to us, but then kind of focused more from the chest up. I confess, I started out with a bad attitude about him based on his TH: "you will remember me!" Get over yourself.

Max: Seems to have good instincts but the problem with smart people on Survivor is that they often can't help themselves showing off how smart they are (cf: I would have lied way better). Still, I'm a sucker for a guy with his look/demeanor/smarts. Also, I like people who are thrilled to be there.

Guy-with-the-dead-sister: Who tattoos a long text under their arm so that to show it off, the other person has to duck down and basically put their nose in your armpit? I really want his sister to be alive and for him to be that stupid that he made that tattoo just to get chicks.

Tyler: Needs to keep a check on his smug face/side-eye at TC. That could pose a problem for you. Or maybe it was just one face, and the editors kept showing it to us. I like his cute plaid shirt, though.

and finally...

Vince: Sigh. So much already said. I'd say "what a maroon" but he might actually be a danger out there. You may know that in the Caribbean, say in the Bahamas, these guys will walk up and down the beach selling coconuts to people sunbathing. They basically have a cart of coconuts, and then they machete the top off, add rum, put a straw in and hand it to you. I'm guessing that is what he does.

I suspected that Rodney's dead sister tattoo might be a fraud so I did some research. His sister Natalie "died unexpectedly" in her home in September 2011.

I still think it is incredibly ghoulish for him to use the tattoo and story to "get into any girl's heart" (and I am pretty sure "heart" means "pants").

Also, him saying he found her "in cold blood" implied that she was murdered when she was not.

He might give Vince a run for his money as sociopath of the season.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 6

It seemed like So was saying - "Shireen may have failed, but at least she tried. Carolyn doesn't try at all, so no matter what she will always fail". I guess that logic kind of makes sense, but....I didn't see it as accurate. Granted, there were a lot of players to watch last night so it's easy to miss something. But Carolyn did not seem particularly like a coaster to me.

I think the real reason was because Carolyn seemed fiesty and maybe they thought Shireen would get booted eventually and wasn't much of a threat anyhow.

So calling Carolyn as the weakest instead of Shirin came out of nowhere to me, as I saw no evidence that suggested that she wasn't pulling her weight around camp/challenge or that she doesn't "step up to the plate" as So said. If there was, the editors left it all on the cutting room floor or I missed it. It seemed to me that So was more threatened by Carolyn rather than her supposedly being the weakest link. Why So felt threatened I have no idea. Carolyn was clearly on to So right from the get go and Carolyn doesn't come off like the follower type that So is so used to bossing around and driving to tears. Maybe So noticed all of this and decided she rather try to get her out and use the "she's the oldest/weakest" excuse as a reason?

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 2

Oh I agree.  With 18 slots, X must-have stereotypes and Y large US cities, I think Boston's been way over-represented since then.  Or go ahead and cast the Bostonians you like but do they HAVE TO advertise their town on their shirt? 

I don't think the city has been over represented. New York and LA have people on the show every year. Chicago has been well represented. Why shouldn't Boston be there?

• Love 1

Also, him saying he found her "in cold blood" implied that she was murdered when she was not.

He might give Vince a run for his money as sociopath of the season.

I think he said he found her in a pool of blood, which does make it sound like she was murdered, but it could be suicide or a really horrendous accident. Or possibly he's just full of shit. I do agree he's probably a sociopath, though.

I don't think the city has been over represented. New York and LA have people on the show every year. Chicago has been well represented. Why shouldn't Boston be there?

I think the issue is that Boston residents tend to get cast on reality shows, as Boston residents.  Sort of the way first responders (especially those from NYC) got cast based upon that trait after 9/11.

I think he said he found her in a pool of blood, which does make it sound like she was murdered,

I heard "in cold blood".

Well because New York, LA, and Chicago are the largest cities in the US, by population size. Boston is a distant 24th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

I am not sure whether Boston is over represented or not but the city population rank is a bit misleading.

The Boston metro area is the 6th largest metro area in the in US with about 8 million people. This means roughly 1 in every 40 Americans live in the greater Boston area, so you'd expect someone from there about every other season.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 3
My husband and I were calling Vince the "feathered Fabio".... at least he thinks he's Fabio.

And yet it was Joe who Jenn compared to a model on the cover of a romance novel.  That's going to hurt when he sees it.

We think Tyler looks like a cross between George "My boy can eat fifty egg." Kennedy  and Ralph Malph.

• Love 1
I heard "in cold blood".

Alapaki is right but you're both kinda right.  The story seemed to be a bit choppy, either because of editing, the guy just can't tell a story, or he's being misleading.  But according to my ccing he said 'I found my sister in cold blood', definitely implying (in my opinion) that Not Boston Rob meant to suggest his sister had been murdered.  His 'it's pretty awesome of me to use my dead sister to gain an advantage on a game show' lends credence to the notion that he's being deliberately misleading here.  

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

I heard "in cold blood".

I just rewatched that part and you and Bryce Lynch (ETA and henripootel) are right; he says "in cold blood." He also says he found her face down with "blood surrounding the area," so I think that's why I thought he said "pool of blood."

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1

White Collar is super dumb for choosing the 50 piece puzzle.  Like, super, super dumb.  Just manipulating the pieces is probably going to take as long as the 10 or 5 piece puzzle.  I might have hedged with the 10 if the rest of my tribe wanted to, but would have preferred 5.  Vote was pretty straight forward, though I don't think any of those people are even vaguely likeable, especially the Bearded Douche..  Other tribes are a bit better.

Jeff said that, in testing, all three puzzles took the about the same amount of time to solve (on average), and that they should pick one based on their strengths/abilities so they would have an advantage over the average player.  Maybe they felt their strength was the ability to take 50 pieces out of a bag quickly.  

It was a huge mistake for So and Joaquin and Mike and Dan to mention the "honest" or "deceive" aspects of their choice.  All of the players are already primed to focus on trigger words related to deception, so using those words is almost guaranteed to make people distrust you.  They should have come up with some other story about a choice without actually saying "honest" or "deceive".  So has already been bitten in the butt by that boneheaded decision.  I wonder if Mike or Dan will face any more serious repercussions other than some of the women on their tribe thinking that they were lying even when they were being honest.  Although, Dan already has plenty of strikes against him anyway.

I looked at the size of the Honest bag of beans and thought "they will still think you are lying."  The only way to make a choice without getting a target on your back would be to take Deceive, tell everyone you took deceive and then read the clue out loud.  

• Love 2

I am not sure whether Boston is over represented or not but the city population rank is a bit misleading.

The Boston metro area is the 6th largest metro area in the in US with about 8 million people. This means roughly 1 in every 40 Americans live in the greater Boston area, so you'd expect someone from there about every other season.

I feel like there's been someone from Boston, wearing Boston apparel, on both this and TAR every season since the bombing.  Phoenix is anywhere from similar-sized to 2.5 times the size of Boston (depending on definition and source data) but I don't recall anyone from Phoenix on Survivor.  Much less wearing Phoenix apparel.  

I feel like there's been someone from Boston, wearing Boston apparel, on both this and TAR every season since the bombing.  Phoenix is anywhere from similar-sized to 2.5 times the size of Boston (depending on definition and source data) but I don't recall anyone from Phoenix on Survivor.  Much less wearing Phoenix apparel.  

Actually the Boston Metro Area has almost twice the population of the Phoenix Metro Area. 

Does anyone have number of contestants from Boston?  Don't get me wrong, I am not from :Boston and a lot of the Massholes on these shows annoy me too.  

I'd imagine a big part of this is that the Boston people make a big deal about being from there and we are probably notice them more because of that, their accents and because of Boston Rob.

I checked in the past 3 seasons there have been 5 contestants on Survivor from Boston.  Two were a married couple in BvW.  That is about 4 times more than you'd expect from Boston based upon population.  Prior to that there had been no contestants from Boston since Boston Rob won. 

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 3
Lastly, does anyone understand why creepy coconut guy was holding his mouth open when they were coming in on the trucks? It looked like he was a little kid trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue.
Majorly weird. I think it was raining/misting and he was catching raindrops on his tongue.

It did look weird and somewhat demented. I guess he was showing the cameras that he is a free spirit.

Edited by GenL
fixed quote tags
  • Love 2

Of the 4,596 reasons I could never go on Survivor, having to eat beans would be #1. (what can I say? I had a bad childhood experience with beans just like the guy on TWD had with applesauce, only WAY WORSE.) 

#2 would be the smell, to which I say, "thank god for no Smellavision."

This cast is going to be an insane mess which is only good news for us.

• Love 5