Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: One Last Ride (Part 1) / S07.E13: One Last Ride (Part 2)

The show really put me off by starting with the Donna flash-forward. All the" jokes" in that segment fell flat and the dialogue with Keegan-Michael Key felt like it was written as satire of the "too-perfect" couple, but it was clearly meant to be sincere. Craig's wasn't any better, but the show started to hit it's stride with some quality Andy gags. Overall I thought they were all too perfect and sappy, but at least I was laughing periodically.

• Love 1
I can't quite remember the episode, but Leslie (and I think Chris or maybe Ron) go to Jamm's house to persuade him to do something, and he is in a kimono and is a really awful fan of Japanese culture (he eats the pods of edamame, rather than the beans, culturally insensitive, etc.).  At least that's what I took away from his flash forward.
He loves Chinese crap: Lucy Liu, Nintendo, Gangnam Style, sushi, et cetera, et cetera.

Lucy Liu is Chinese, but Nintendo is Japanese, Gangnam Style is South Korean, and sushi is Japanese.

Lucy Liu is Chinese, but Nintendo is Japanese, Gangnam Style is South Korean, and sushi is Japanese.

That's what I meant saying "culturally insensitive".  Sorry for the shorthand on that.  Jamm just got it alllll wrong for a Japanophile.

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 5
Did they ever mention what happen to Mark in the finale? Or cameo by him? I was always sad they really didn't end his storyline I would loved him return to face off with Ben. But sadly no, so I was wondering if I missed a mention?

Nope, no mention of Brandanowitz. I understand his absence, since the actor was uninterested in returning, but it is a bit odd for this show not to throw out some random allusion to him, anyway. Personally, I am more sad they didn't bring in Marlene Griggs-Knope again this season. But a pretty minor quibble since they brought everyone else I wanted to see in these last episodes. 

• Love 1

And if they HAD to have kids, wouldn't it be more likely that they end up adopting? The way that April wanted to save Champion for example, I could buy that she would change her mind if she sees that rescuing a child from a life without parents would be the more noble thing (especially because of her disdain for the idea bringing a child into the world). That to me would have been the way more obvious solution to the kids thing, especially because no one else on the show had adopted.

But then we wouldn't have the scene with her in labor on Halloween while wearing zombie makeup, which I think was the whole point! Correct me if I'm wrong but it is the only time we see a baby delivery scene on the show. They've carefully managed to avoid the cliche and we never saw Leslie, Ann or Diane giving birth probably because the writers thought it's been done and there wasn't anything new to add.  They weren't going to top Phoebe on Friends delivering triplets for example. The only reason they showed April was because it would be unconventional.

• Love 1

One thing bothered me, and is still bothering me, and I'm hoping someone will do some math and tell me I'm wrong. In the bit with Ron saying the kids are all grown up, and mentioning Ivy getting in to college, I think that scene was labeled 2022 or 2023, right? Now, A) we already know there's an age difference between the girls and John [redacted] Swanson. B) Wasn't John born in 2013/2014? So Ron's referring to the children all being grown when John should've been under 10? Even if Ivy were the younger of the two girls (I don't remember which is which) John's still much younger. Or was that meant to be a reference to Ron having previously said something about getting his first job at age 9(?) I think? Otherwise, basically, the girls are grown and at least one is college aged, but the boy shouldn't even be in high school yet.

So did anyone else love that interaction between Leslie and Jean Raphio? when he jump out of the wheel chair to hug her because she was leaving? That was so sweet! And the love confession! I wish they hinted more of his feelings throughout the season of him smelling her hair or something now. 

I think this finale totally blew the office finale out of the water? Anyone else think so? Scream Pam and Jim! LESLIE AND BEN FOREVER!!

Nope, no mention of Brandanowitz. I understand his absence, since the actor was uninterested in returning, but it is a bit odd for this show not to throw out some random allusion to him, anyway. Personally, I am more sad they didn't bring in Marlene Griggs-Knope again this season. But a pretty minor quibble since they brought everyone else I wanted to see in these last episodes. 

Aw man I forgot about Leslie mother :( Your right just had good bye or something? Say her mother going on cruise with her new husband?

I said before that I liked the Office finale better just because of Michael Scott returning and also the last two seasons weren't that great but that episode made me laugh and cry and helped remind me why I loved the characters and show instead of ending it on a sour note. The Parks and Rec finale I appreciate more on second viewing but I still think previous season finales where they thought there was a chance it wouldn't be renewed work better as episodes in terms of comedy.

I really loved that episode. I wish they could have brought a bit more funny to mix with the sentimental, but it still made me smile a lot. Gary's success and the fact that everyone outside of his friends loved him just because he was a nice person was really cool (that scene where he calls the guys from the maintenance department was a favourite of mine). I wish we got a bit more with Andy. I mean other than having kids with April, what did he do for all of those years. 

I also liked how in the Typhoon and Craig final scene, they were travelling in some kind of crazy submarine.

I also realized this morning that after the end of this show, and the decline and soon to be end of Cougar Town, I don't have a favourite TV show anymore. There are a lot of shows I like but none I would call my favourite, like I did with Cougar Town in its prime, and then when it slipped this show. 

And now that this is over anyone know what Greg Daniels is up to next? Between this show, The Office, and King of the Hill (and the classic Simpsons episodes he wrote, and the parking space Seinfeld episode), I think he might be my favourite show creator.

And now that this is over anyone know what Greg Daniels is up to next? Between this show, The Office, and King of the Hill (and the classic Simpsons episodes he wrote, and the parking space Seinfeld episode), I think he might be my favourite show creator.

According to IMDB, he's in pre-production of a show called Mr. Robinson with Craig Robinson.

the look of genuine love April has for Leslie as she's holding her and Andy's baby

It was kind of in the background, but boy, it caught my attention. It was so intense I thought maybe it was more Aubrey looking at Amy.

Edited by morgankobi

I would just rewatch the whole episode. There are a lot of scenes that have been extended seamlessly, so it's hard to FF to the new bits. I found the episode even better on rewatch. I cried through the episode the first time, but watching the producers cut, I managed to keep the tears at bay until the last scene.

• Love 1

One thing bothered me, and is still bothering me, and I'm hoping someone will do some math and tell me I'm wrong. In the bit with Ron saying the kids are all grown up, and mentioning Ivy getting in to college, I think that scene was labeled 2022 or 2023, right? Now, A) we already know there's an age difference between the girls and John [redacted] Swanson. B) Wasn't John born in 2013/2014? So Ron's referring to the children all being grown when John should've been under 10? Even if Ivy were the younger of the two girls (I don't remember which is which) John's still much younger. Or was that meant to be a reference to Ron having previously said something about getting his first job at age 9(?) I think? Otherwise, basically, the girls are grown and at least one is college aged, but the boy shouldn't even be in high school yet.

I think the idea is just that their first kid is out of the house and John [redacted] Swanson isn't a little kid anymore and so there's more free time for Ron (and Diane).

I'm also pretty sure John [redacted] Swanson is in the shot of all the kids out in the courtyard, with Leslie smilingly looking out at them.  There seemed to be one or two extra kids besides the triplets, Ann and Chris' two kids, and baby Jack so I assume John was there and maybe one of Jerry's grandkids.

• Love 1

Wow, seeing the Producer's cut scene where Andy delivers Liam Neeson's "Taken" monologue to Dr. Saperstein to get him to change the baby being born on Halloween instead of Nov. 1 on the birth certificate for April, makes me think Chris Pratt can be a really serious dramatic action star, instead of a goofball variation like Peter Quill!

Leslie is the POTUS. In the Pancho episode she tells Leslie that as the wife she would be difficult. She says, "if you were a dumb dumb I'd just slap a flag pin on your lapel and have you stand there," or something like that. Even though they both wear them, this show is about Leslie. It has to be her.

God I'm gonna miss this show!!

(edited)

Leslie is the POTUS. In the Pancho episode she tells Leslie that as the wife she would be difficult. She says, "if you were a dumb dumb I'd just slap a flag pin on your lapel and have you stand there," or something like that. Even though they both wear them, this show is about Leslie. It has to be her.

Yeah, but there's also how early he has the flag pin. He had it even before Leslie ran for Governor (in the scene where they were back in Pawnee being reunited with their friends), so it was no sign of him being Pres (as some have said it was). Edited by Kromm

I don't think there's really a "right" answer here. Schur literally said it was intentionally ambiguous, which I guess doesn't preclude him internally deciding which was "real" but generally when I hear a writer say "intentionally ambiguous" in the context of an ending, they tend to mean there isn't a correct guess, rather than there is but no one's telling (or "you don't know yet" in cases of non-finale/ending ambguity).
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't think there's really a "right" answer here. Schur literally said it was intentionally ambiguous, which I guess doesn't preclude him internally deciding which was "real" but generally when I hear a writer say "intentionally ambiguous" in the context of an ending, they tend to mean there isn't a correct guess, rather than there is but no one's telling (or "you don't know yet" in cases of non-finale/ending ambguity).

I'll admit that as a writer, that annoys me just a bit. I don't mind small things being left ambiguous, but major stuff... you wrote the characters. You must have some idea.

However, since it is being left ambiguous to the audience, I definitely agree there's no "right" or "wrong" answer. I'm not sure I can see Leslie being POTUS, but I also can't see her being the First Lady either. 

Edited by Azaelia

The purposeful ambiguity statement that lets the viewers decide what happens puts me in mind of the end of the Muppet Movie: "Life's like a movie, write your own ending, keep believing, keep pretending, we've done just what we set out to dooooooo.... thanks to the lovers, the dreamers, and youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

• Love 3

My theory is that Ben becomes vice-president, which makes Leslie extremely happy because it's like she married Joe Biden. 

That is kind of interesting. I was thinking earlier that sitting and past presidents aren't the only people who get secret service protection right?

Before I put this series to rest, I just have to say it's Jerry, it's always been Jerry, it'll always be Jerry. "Dammit Garry", just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I asked this because April said she didn't want kids before. So it kinda bums me that the characters think to end character arc is for two characters to have kids? Blah...

It didn't bother me because I thought it represented something that happens a lot- a lot of women when young are sure they don't ever want to be pregnant/ have kids, and often that changes when they mature, fall in love, and/or just get a different perspective. Often it doesn't change too, but I think April has always been portrayed as using her I Hate Everything schtick as a defense mechanism rather than representative of her true feelings.

I like to think that Leslie is VP and spends a lot of time calling Joe Biden to talk about "their job."

• Love 1

I like to think that Leslie is VP and spends a lot of time calling Joe Biden to talk about "their job.

And of course she's there because he makes the best seafood risotto. 

I finally got a chance to watch this.

I really was not a fan of April and Andy having kids. I love Andy, but he is just such a man child that I can't picture him being a responsible parent, and realistically April will end up picking up a lot of the slack while apparently being the one to have a career. And the fact that she had to be convinced, it just hit close to home with a lot of friends I have where the mom ends up doing all the work. Plus, I just in general I just miss the two of them being a couple of idiots who eat chilli out of frisbees and hate having responsibility.

I loved everything else. I loved that they showed what happened to minor characters like Shauna, Jean Ralphio, and Typhoon. The scene with Ron in the national park was the most touching.

I am still going back and forth between Leslie or Ben being president.

My favorite part about the final was Garry's segment! I've always felt bad for the poor guy and seeing him succeed in life and die at the age of 100 surrounded by his wife, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren was extremely satisfying. While I've always liked Ben for being the only one who showed some kindness to Garry, it's Donna who wins the title of Garry's "Almost Friend." This season she made everyone call him by his real name and then there's that episode when they bonded - she brought him back all the things he'd lost from keys to wedding rings. 

I didn't mind April and Andy having children - it's clearly obvious that Andy wanted children.  Adoption was also an option, but April expressed her interest in being pregnant (it's the baby part she didn't care for)

• Love 1

I have been postponing the inevitable by keeping this episode on the DVR until long after it's immediate relevance, but I just couldn't bear to say goodbye to Pawnee quite yet. Unlike our reviewer, I stuck with the show from day one, despite it's many issues in season one, mostly trying to find a balance for Leslie's character. I found her to be an amalgamation of many of Amy's SNL characters for the first season. But, having seen how The Office improved over time, i stuck it out and have always been happy I did. I simply adored the finale because I like seeing where people end up down the road. It was full of laughs and heart, and I think we were having a dust storm because I kept getting something in my eyes. Any other comedy will be hard pressed to come up with the array of recurring supporting characters that this show pulled off, but my absolute favorite will always be Jen Barkley. "I'm going to spend my time doing exactly what I want to do because I don't have children!"

• Love 1