Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: One Last Ride (Part 1) / S07.E13: One Last Ride (Part 2)

Awesome finale...

The best part for me was Leslie's reaction/comment after the announcement of the library being named after her at IU.  "A fucking library."  I love Leslie Knope and her general distaste for libraries on this show.

• Love 4
I think the only ambiguity is about whether it's her or Ben who's the president. The scene with the Secret Service agent seemed like it was filmed to create ambiguity there.

I'm not sure what the line about Leslie having a bigger thing to move onto was about - that was 2035, right? Even if she ran in 2036 and won, she wouldn't be president in 2048.

I guess there are a lot of different ways to interpret that. Maybe she ran the first time in 2036 and lost, then won in 2040. Or maybe they changed the Constitution so that she could run a third time.

I could be wrong ( I am Canadian) but aren't the secret service a life time gig? Wouldn't they tag along for life? Or as I am choosing to believe, Leslie did 8 years, now Ben is doing 8 Years.

President's do get Secret Service protection after their time in office. It was 13 years between the commencement (where Leslie was said to have already served 2 terms as Governor, presumably being a former Governor at that point) and Garry's death in 2048. It is very possible, and likely, that Leslie is a former President in 2048. Or maybe she is in her lame duck year of her second term. It would be early March for Garry's funeral, as he died on the night of his 100th birthday, which would be 2/29/2048.

And as much as I like Ben, let's be honest, it is Leslie who reaches the Oval Office. Beta dog Ben no doubt settled into finally working at the accounting firm, and is enjoying his golden years in a place where he is worshiped and his humor reigns supreme. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 3

If Ben were a Republican, he could've run against Leslie. Since that was never even mentioned, I'd assume that he's a Democrat. Besides, I've always figured Jen Barkley was a paid political op, not a DNC insider. Maybe she was just looking for a gig.

Theoretically, sure, a husband and wife could run against each other. really even if they were both Democrats, they could still run against each other, they'd just face off in the primary rather than the general election. I think the point of the storyline though was not they couldn't technically both run, no matter what part either is in, its that practically you can't have a husband and wife squaring off in a primary or in a general election for a major race like that.

Jen is a paid op, but I would think she would at least know enough with her connections to be aware if one party had picked a candidate already. She may have known the DNC already picked someone, just not that it was Leslie. Or heck the way she is maybe she did know it was Leslie and proceeded anyway to still try and convince Ben to run over her.

Just seemed to me to make more sense to think the Democrats had their candidate and Jen she would at least be aware of that and not telling a different candidate in the same party than the one handpicked by the DNC that they have a great chance to run. That would make her look pretty stupid and uniformed. Makes more sense if she was approaching Ben for the other party

Edited by DrSpaceman

2) Producer's Cut coming with time skips for Jamm and Shauna.

Oooh, I'm curious about Shauna's time skip.  Maybe she finally found love!  That actually would have been a great place for a random Mark mention or appearance.

President's do get Secret Service protection after their time in office. It was 13 years between the commencement (where Leslie was said to have already served 2 terms as Governor, presumably being a former Governor at that point) and Garry's death in 2048. It is very possible, and likely, that Leslie is a former President in 2048. Or maybe she is in her lame duck year of her second term. It would be early March for Garry's funeral, as he died on the night of his 100th birthday, which would be 2/29/2048.

And as much as I like Ben, let's be honest, it is Leslie who reaches the Oval Office. Beta dog Ben no doubt settled into finally working at the accounting firm, and is enjoying his golden years in a place where he is worshiped and his humor reigns supreme. 

Leslie seems like a more likely president to me, too - but the writers have already asked us to believe that he could be elected to Congress. It had to be intentional that they didn't clarify which one was president, and that American flag pin on Ben really makes me think they wanted to keep us guessing.

• Love 1

And I think it was Ben who was President -- he was wearing a flag pin on his lapel.

Ben was wearing the flag pin in earlier flash forwards.  Presumably he started wearing it when he became a Congressman.

• Love 3

Has there ever been a more sweetly subversive, optimistic, hopeful show on TV?  I will miss it!  "Everybody gets a happy ending" works for this show because these were all people who deserved them, and sometimes in life its nice to see people get what they deserve.  

I wanted a Lil' Sebastian callout!  

And love the earlier poster's idea of Ben and Leslie alternating terms as president.  I'm assuming Ben stayed a congressman (or became a senator or something), so they would both be in the public eye and potentially qualified.  Why not?

• Love 8

Don't forget, the entire cast on Seth Meyers tonight.

Mark........Brandanowitzkini....err, something or other. Forgot about him.

Yeah, he even has his own thread floating around here somewhere.

And not really important but just curious, the episode implies Ben is a republican congressman. If he was the democratic congressman it would not make sense for he and leslie to both be vetted for the governor spot. The same party would not seriously consider two candidates to the point of telling one they are favored without everyone knowing then the other was not favored by the party

Ben and Leslie both being democrats isn't a problem.  The news of the vacancy had just broken, Jan wasn't there on behalf of the DNC, and Leslie would have a democratic challenger anyway because there'd be a primary.

I'm not sure what the line about Leslie having a bigger thing to move onto was about - that was 2035, right? Even if she ran in 2036 and won, she wouldn't be president in 2048.

She could be president in 2048 if she had two non-consecutive terms.  It's been done before.  But of course it's moot because secret service protection of presidents is for life.

• Love 1

Instead of a Craig flash-forward, which was somewhat covered in Tom's flash forward, I would rather have seen a flash forward where we see a wedding where one of April's kids is marrying one of Ann's kids.  Yes, I know the timeline wouldn't match up really based on the ages of the kids we have seen, but it would have been perfect.  April's nightmare would be being forever tethered to Ann, even if it's only by a marriage.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 9

Since the Secret Service made a point to keep Leslie and Ben on schedule, I took that to mean that one of them is currently the President. Knowing political correctness, I would think they would show us if Ben was President.

Leslie could easily have been VP in the time gap.

• Love 2

Hey, don't forget one of my favourite lines! "Ann Arbor, Michigan, is LITERALLY the greatest city I have ever lived in! But Pawnee is better."

In any other context, I would have found this finale unbearably sappy. But for Parks and Rec, it was perfect. This show loves its characters so much, and makes us love them too, that there was no way anyone was going out without the sendoff they deserve, sappiness be damned!

I bet Leslie and Ben flipped a coin to decide who'd be president. (But it was totally Leslie. Come on.)

Was Ron using one of Nick Offerman's real canoes? He was, wasn't he? It was gorgeous.

• Love 8

Not only did they spell Garry's last name wrong on his tombstone (Girgich), when Garry won his first mayoral election the on-screen graphics called him Garry Gerrgich.

And Champion was still alive in 2022.

The news feed in the background when Garry was being sworn in for the 10th time: Belichick on "Alien Gate": None of our players are aliens.

Is Bill Belichick still coaching -- and his team is being accused of cheating ?  Maybe it's Bill Belichick's son is now coaching the Patriots.

In 2025, JJ's Diner is still in business -- it was on the banner at the party in the Parks Dept. office ("Welcome Back Leslie from JJ's Diner).

"Uh, that's a problem. I'm sorry but that's the 9th-highest selling multi-player figurine-based fantasy strategy sequel game in history."

• Love 8

Picked this live over Person of Interest, and it was worth it.  Like most of this season, it was totally a love letter and no real surprises, but, again, for this show, I think it works.  I'm perfectly glad that everyone got a happy ending; the biggest set back was probably Tom's Bistro failing, but even then, Tom apparently finds success with books.  Oh, and still is with Lucy, which is always a win.

Fun seeing all the flash-forwards, and seeing were everyone goes.  Glad that Garry had a fulfilled life, after all the jokes at his expense.  Really was amused that his wife apparently never age; glad Ben noticed that too, and it wasn't just me.  Andy and April going down the children route was kind of predictable, but I did think it made sense Andy would want kids, and April would be the one that was unsure.  And, when it did happen, of course she would dress as a zombie during the birth.  Oh, and the doctor was Saperstein.  Hee!

Surprised over the route they went with Donna and Joe, and actually found it very touching.  Not surprised that the Ron/Leslie relationship in the future is just as heartfelt as it was in the present.  They really did a great job with those two.  Glad they didn't drag out Leslie and Ben competing for the governorship.  There was no way it wouldn't be Leslie, and I'm glad it was Ben relenting, after seeing she was willing to go to a coin toss instead.

For pure laughs, nothing topped Jean-Ralphio's for me.  Yeah, he would fake his own death, so he and Mona Lisa could use the insurance money for whatever their next scheme is.  Runner-up was Craig and Typhoon becoming a couple in the future (with Ron as the best man!)

Glad they brought in some of the final returning faces like Ethel Beaver and Shauna.  But, that was just an appetizer for the main courses: Ann and Chris!  So glad they came back for a final moment.  I know Ann wasn't the life of the party, but I always enjoyed her relationship with Leslie.  Cracked up when Leslie practically shoved Ben into the wall to get to her.  And, Chris is still "LITERALLY!" one of the most amusing characters on this show.  I just wish we got more of him and Ben, because those two were equally as fun.  Oh, and I wish we got more Chris/Ron.  Especially since they found time to get an Ann/April scene.

Not surprised the didn't bring Mark back, since I knew the actor apparently isn't a fan of the show anymore.  Bummed that they weren't able to work things out with Lucy Lawless to come back as Diane though.

It's been a fun ride.  Will miss these characters, but I can't wait to see what the cast and crew do next.  I'm glad that at least Nick Offerman will be in Fargo, Aubrey Plaza's doing the whole indie thing, and, of course, Chris Pratt's become a big damn movie star. I'm sure Amy Poehler will still be around, but I hope this season is enough to finally net her an Emmy.  At least Michael Schur and Daniel Goor are still doing the equally awesome Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  Maybe some of the cast can pop over there.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Back in the first season on P&R, Leslie Knope stated her goal is to become President of the USA.

Amy Poehler has come amazingly far since her debut SNL with Mayor Guiliani right after 9/11.  Can't wait for her next project!

• Love 4

Wasn't particularly funny but it was still perfect. Garry becoming mayor for real made me cry and then I was weeping when he died. He so sweet, I love him to pieces.

Loved Ann coming back and naming her daughter Leslie. Also loved the Monster Mash.

There's now a boatload of kids to get paired up. Now someone mentioned it in the thread, I'd really like Ann & April's kids to end up together.

• Love 3

I did love things about this episode. I had a longer post typed up, actually, but I pressed backspace after pausing and we all know what happens when you do that. Short version: I loved Donna being awesome, Gerry being awesome,  Tom having a successful book about failure (PLEASE have someone at NBC or Aziz Ansari write that for real), Leslie being governor, seeing Ann and Chris again (if briefly)....

However, I have to admit I was a little disappointed. Because it's because the whole season's been in the future, I didn't think we really... needed more future. I would rather have seen Leslie as Indiana governor or something for a season. Mostly I think I loved season six's finale so much, and I was expecting that level of emotion and everything, and we didn't get it. 

• Love 1

I think what they hit spot-on in the finale, and what the most satisfying thing for a viewer really is, is to be shown that the characters turn out ok after. That's always the big question, right? What happens to those characters? What do they make of their lives? And we got to see it. In a way it's the most blatant kind of fanservice, but it's also so satisfying, and so right for the feel of this show. Waffles aren't great for you to have every single day, but here, you've earned it, have a big stack of waffles with syrup and whipped cream and strawberries cut out to look like hearts on the top. And it's a lovely treat to have. 

• Love 9

The news feed in the background when Garry was being sworn in for the 10th time: Belichick on "Alien Gate": None of our players are aliens.

Is Bill Belichick still coaching -- and his team is being accused of cheating ?  Maybe it's Bill Belichick's son is now coaching the Patriots.

Ha, I totally missed that! I thought Mike Schur was a Patriots fan, so that makes sense. And I choose to believe that was the actual Bill Belichick. If only the good die young, he's going to live a very long time!

Very sweet finale -- cured me of my How I Met Your Mother finale-induced fear of time jumps. Major props to whoever called this show "sweetly subversive" -- that's an utterly perfect description.

• Love 3

If Ben were a Republican, he could've run against Leslie. Since that was never even mentioned, I'd assume that he's a Democrat. Besides, I've always figured Jen Barkley was a paid political op, not a DNC insider. Maybe she was just looking for a gig.

I wanted to reply before but couldn't find the post for some reason. Here we go.

Anyway, I think it's possible they just didn't want to run against each other, either. Talk about awkward. I can see Ben being conservative, actually. (I'm not, so I don't have biases there, it's just how I see it. Though he couldn't be too conservative given that he's married to Leslie.) However, he'd probably have to choose in order to run and would very possibly run as Democrat.

Not any more -- now its 10 years after the end of term.  Clinton was the last President to get lifetime protection from the Secret Service.

ETA:  Until this was reverted back to lifetime protection by President Obama on Jan. 10, 2013.  Somehow I missed seeing that in the news.

What I have heard, no idea if its correct or not, is that yes the offical law is 10 years after being president since Clinton, but what has been happening is the next president to take over after one leaves office usually issues on executive order or special order, whatever you call it, that gives lifetime protection for the prior president, not 10 years. 

Also what was the quote about Ben's follow up game to Cones of Dunshire, how it was described?  It was something like "Painfully tedious", along those lines, which he took as a compliment but probably was not meant as such by whoever said it/wrote it. 

Not only did they spell Garry's last name wrong on his tombstone (Girgich), when Garry won his first mayoral election the on-screen graphics called him Garry Gerrgich.

And Champion was still alive in 2022.

In 2025, JJ's Diner is still in business -- it was on the banner at the party in the Parks Dept. office ("Welcome Back Leslie from JJ's Diner).

"Uh, that's a problem. I'm sorry but that's the 9th-highest selling multi-player figurine-based fantasy strategy sequel game in history."

I missed the Belichik thing.  I assume it was a reference to him and he was still cheating. 

Thats the one thing I would have liked, a reference to 6 time Superbowl winner Andrew Luck in the future. 

If Leslie can be president, the Colts can win multiple superbowls

Watching this episode reminded me why I love this series so much. It shows unbridled optimism paired with hard work as a way to improve the life you live and the life of others. Every single one of the characters working at the Parks department went on to serve and make life better for others while enjoying a satisfying life of their own. There have been other shows that have an optimistic streak to them like this, namely My Name is Earl (which Parks and Rec replaced in the NBC lineup). These shows are fun to watch because of how the characters' optimism drives them to do well and live better. They're inspirational in that regard.

• Love 13

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I knew that everyone had to live happily ever after, and now that the details have been filled in I can say goodbye to Pawnee with a big smile. I'm looking forward to re-watching the finale tonight.

Congratulations and well done! to everyone who was responsible for this unique show.

• Love 4
I must be a sentimental sap, but I loved it.  It might not have been fitting for most shows, but Parks and Rec has always been a sweet show with a heart of gold and I thought this  was a fine ending for it.

Watching this episode reminded me why I love this series so much. It shows unbridled optimism paired with hard work as a way to improve the life you live and the life of others.

This is why the finale worked so well for me.  All throughout its 7 seasons, this show has been unfailingly optimistic with its characters.  Sure they go through some tough times, but they always persevere and come out the better for it.  I think it would've been a disservice to the fans and to the characters to have some sort of dark or snarky type ending to the show...that's just not what the show was.  

For me the ending was exactly what I wanted, to know that these characters that I've come to love so much will all be ok.  This is one of the few, and maybe only, shows that I know for a fact that I watching since the pilot episode (most shows I end up latching on to after I hear how the first few eps are).  To have been with the show since the beginning, see it grow, constantly worry about if it will be renewed or not, and constantly bug my friends that they HAVE to watch this amazing show has been such a pleasure.  I'm glad Parks and Rec got to end on its own terms and I can't wait until the season is released on blu ray so I can check out the behind the scenes, blooper reels, etc!

Edited by Izzyboy
  • Love 8

I started to really cry during the Leslie/Ron scene at the national park and didn't stop. I could barely see the blooper scenes through my tears. 

Love that Andy and Chris Pratt both have sons named Jack. Ben announcing Leslie was running for governor was the perfect summation of their relationship and how they've always supported each other. 

I'm just really glad that Parks let everyone have their happy endings. Been burned by a few too many finales in the past (never over HIMYM).

• Love 5
Jean-Ralphio - 2022. Dead. But it's totally him to fake his own death to start a casino in Tajikastan with Mona Lisa. Love that his loud sing-gloating blew his cover.

I literally Jean-Ralphio sung "blew his cover" in my head as I read this. 

Loved it. It really is such a positive little show and that finale was a love letter to all of us. 

• Love 5

I thought the finale was overly sentimental. I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say everything turns out wonderfully for our protagonists, they're all rich and successful and happy. Also, the older I get, the less I like it when successful adults define themselves by the one group they hung out with years ago, at a completely different time in their lives.

I felt similarly. I mean I didn't outright dislike it or anything, but since the whole entire season was already a wildly sentimental goodbye, this was a bit too much for me. 

And I am irrationally angry that a show with this refreshing Pollyanna message never got over thinking it was hilarious for everyone to be a total dick to Garry. That it didn't faze him really wore off as a reward for me over the years. 

I was the happiest, though, that Champion lived forever! As it should be.

• Love 4

I felt similarly. I mean I didn't outright dislike it or anything, but since the whole entire season was already a wildly sentimental goodbye, this was a bit too much for me.

I like my coffee black. I also like my Parks with sugar, thank you very much.

• Love 6

Don't forget, the entire cast on Seth Meyers tonight.

Anyone else watch them on Late Night? It went by fast but it was great hearing them all talk about each other. The BEST was them ending the show singing Bye Bye Lil Sebastian, during which Aubrey Plaza grabs Jim O'Heir and starts making out with him serious like. So uncomfortably funny and went on for a LONG time.

• Love 3

The only thing that felt a bit "off" was that Tom signed actual books.  

I wondered about that too. However, the book looked a little strange to me, like it didn't have any more pages after the one that Tom had signed. Maybe an electronic book was inside the paper book.

I loved this ep. Great finale. Very sentimental but satisfying. I definitely need to rewatch. I missed the hilarious joke about Belichek. I'm sure I missed a lot.

It's intriguing reading about the Jean-Ralphio Easter egg. 

There was much to love thruout. Some of my LOL moments were the cut to April in zombie makeup, the cut to Jean-Ralphio's tombstone after Leslie says she hopes he lives a long life, and Leslie pushing Ben aside when she sees Ann. I had forgotten about Ann, so I was as surprised and thrilled to see her as Leslie was.

Loved seeing Kyle, brief though it was.

Loved reading that the man who had the swing problem was the same one from that earlier episode.

Love that Treat Yo' Self became Teach Yo' Self.

There's so so much I didn't catch in the ep, and such goodness that I must see again. And yes, I teared up.

Oh, Ron buying 50% of Lagavulin distillery was fantastic!

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4

And I am irrationally angry that a show with this refreshing Pollyanna message never got over thinking it was hilarious for everyone to be a total dick to Garry. That it didn't faze him really wore off as a reward for me over the years.

That, exactly. This show has only two sour notes for me, and the treatment of Garry is by far the primary one. It was always a few shades too mean to be funny, and his personal payoff never made up for the blind spot they had. There were a few times he legitimately, really contributed (like, say, when Ben and Leslie couldn't have actually gotten married without him), and even then he got nothing but grief from them.

(the other sour note is April, who again, the meanness was a couple of shades too far. She never did anything to really deserve the adulation she got from everyone else) 

• Love 14