Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: One Last Ride (Part 1) / S07.E13: One Last Ride (Part 2)

I'm going to miss this show and this cast so much, but I feel like I got everything I wanted and more for the characters.

I loved the whole finale but some standouts:

Garry's whole segment

The documentary that Tom made about his downfall.

Burt Macklin and Janet Snakehole roleplay. I'm not someone who needs or wants everyone to end up with a kid, but April giving birth in zombie makeup to the Monster Mash was kind of perfect. I liked the picture of Andy, April and Champion. It kind of mirrored the pic of Andy and April in Season 2.

Loved Ben's excitement that the Cones of Dunshire sequel was called "punishingly intricate" and the quick scene of him talking about the game to Ann.

Ann! Glad that she and Chris made an appearance.

Ron in the canoe was perfect.

• Love 4

I liked it. The Office finale gave me more feels because of the return of Michael Scott and because the happy endings of some characters  got hadn't assured. It also redeemed the last two seasons) but it was way better than the HIMYM one. I would probably rank it above the Cheers and Seinfeld finale but below Friends or Frasier.  I felt this season was like the last season of the JUSTICE LEAGUE which the Cartoon Network suddenly added after they had a pretty good finale(and epilogue). There were some episodes like "Ron and Leslie" that justify it and some enjoyable episodes like JKSAMES and "Two Funerals" Yeah the Season 6 finale would have worked better as a finale to the series but I like that Ann(and Chris) came back and we saw that Leslie became governor, got a doctorate and had a (ugh) library named after her. I'm glad the show began with her and ended with her. The last shot reminded of the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which was a closeup of Buffy, and it's appropriate because Leslie was a real hero.

The future stuff was iffy. Some was silly, but enjoyable(like Leslie playing charades with the Bidens) and some heartwarming. April and Andy were married for 10 years before having a baby, so I don't feel she was pressured at all. It makes sense that Andy would want kids and I think the only thing really holding them back was April having that thing of not wanting to be a grown up.

That, exactly. This show has only two sour notes for me, and the treatment of Garry is by far the primary one. It was always a few shades too mean to be funny, and his personal payoff never made up for the blind spot they had.

On Seth Meyers last night Mike Schur said he justified Leslie being mean to Jerry that he screws up enough to be irritablebut also Leslie is so nice to everyone but needs an outlet for her negativity and that she knows Jerry/Gerry/Larry/Terry can take it.

In the end it's the little things I loved like Donna recounting her adventures, starting "Teach Yo Self", Ron being best man for Typhoon in his wedding to Craig, Tom making each of his co-workers a different example of a successful person(except Gerry),  the look of genuine love April has for Leslie as she's holding her and Andy's baby,  Gerry being mayor for four terms and being 100 surrounded by his wife, kids, grandkids and great-grandkis. Ron alone in a canoe on a lake, Leslie pushing Ben out of the way to hug Ann, Ann and Leslie already shipping their kids, April insulting Ann again, the look Ben and Leslie exchange after he tells everybody that SHE is running for governor.  And finally Leslie's great speech at the university.
I'm going to miss you, Parks and Rec.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Kyle! So glad we got to see City Hall's other sad sack. I'd given up hope after the search for the shoe shine stand.

And speaking of the original sad sack, Gary's flash forwards didn't work for me. The big joke was Jerry was hapless at his job, and while the criticisim of him was over-the-top, it was also likely warranted given his actual performance, but that completely reversed course when he got to be a family man. I guess you could say the nearly pointless role of Pawnee Mayor gave him the opportunity to shine, but it always seemed that his long term goal was to retire to be with Gale.

Did we find out if Andy had a future career in DC? Or was he just pining for kids?

Would have loved to have seen what became of the other councilmen. Leslie running into State Comptroller Howser right after announcing she's running for governor, Dexhart's sex scandal gets Brandi Maxxx elected, Milton chairing a women's rights senate, Eagleton renaming it's central park, Forest de Ingrid, and Jamm doing Jamm things. 

• Love 1

It also redeemed the last two seasons

Nothing can redeem those final seasons for me.

As for the Parks finale, what can I say? It was pretty much everything I thought it would be. I will miss this the show, but am glad it ended before it completely ran out of gas, creatively.

Hail Zorp!

• Love 2
Loved Ben's excitement that the Cones of Dunshire sequel was called "punishingly intricate" and the quick scene of him talking about the game to Ann.

I loved they had a scene...it's the friendship I've wished the show did more often. 

• Love 1
Ron in the canoe was perfect.

As was Amy's closing comment "Yeah, I'm ready" and that beautiful smile straight at the camera.  Call me a sucker for outtakes, especially on a comedy show, but I rewound the credits/bloopers three times so I could watch each of the sections individually.  And the sadly prescient (to me) use of the Travelling Wilburys song to finish it out. 

• Love 4

Watching Jim O'Heir and Aubrey Plaza make out with such gusto on Late Night today just slayed me. Like Retta, I found myself saying I couldn't look...but then I couldn't look away. The casts reactions to it was so perfect.

Just like this ending. I cried five different times.

And yes to the poster who felt shades of Buffy, with the close up, and the smile.

I will miss this show like Leslie and Ron miss Lil Sebastian.

• Love 4

Leslie as POTUS?

That would mean that somewhere in Indiana (probably Pawnee) is the world's largest Presidential Library.  It would have to be the largest to house the voluminous collection of binders that President Knope would have created and distributed during her term(s).

• Love 8
Call me a sucker for outtakes, especially on a comedy show, but I rewound the credits/bloopers three times so I could watch each of the sections individually.

I love outtakes/bloopers and the ones that Parks and Rec include on their DVDs/Blurays are fantastic.  On one of them I remember that they actually had Perd introduce the blooper reel.  There's also just a real sense that this cast enjoys working together with how often that make each other laugh.

Since we were shown the characters' futures, I was disappointed with Tom's, as well as April's and Andy's:

Tom wanted to be working with celebrities.   Maybe being an author celebrity himself is better.

No mention of April's final career calling (hope it's not stay at home mom).  I'm just going to assume she worked that job she got in DC with the same ambivalence for the public she had in Pawnee. 

Andy should've taken done the Johnny Karate show in the DC market.  Maybe having his own offspring provides him with enough fulfillment that he doesn't need the TV show anymore.  But I still wonder what work he does.

Edited by Beach Party

No mention of April's final career calling (hope it's not stay at home mom).  I'm just going to assume she worked that job she got in DC with the same ambivalence for the public she had in Pawnee. 

She helped Donna set up the Teach Yo Self foundation.

• Love 3

I'm so mixed on this finale. Not the quality of it, it was so well handled. It's a rare finale that can sum up a series and provide so much comfort to the viewer. Mike Schur and Amy Poehler understand just how emotionally attached Parks viewers are to the cast, and it was great that they provided such a gentle ending.

But part of me wishes we didn't get see all of the major points in the characters' lives, as I could have easily seen the team regrouping in a few years for an Arrested Development type run on Netflix (or some other channel). The political satire they do so well is evergreen, and this is a show that I could see coming back every once in a while to update us. Not to say they couldn't come back and fill in some gaps, but there are very few question marks left for us.

The tragic passing of Harris Wittels, though, demonstrates that we can't depend on ever getting the group back together again, so it's understandable to want to take full advantage of the present. If any show has earned the right to fast-forward us through its characters' journeys, it's this one. And we now have an entire timeline to work in, with Schur having freed himself from the shackles of strictly linear storytelling, which would be a boon to any theoretical continuation.

On the balance, if the decision is a bit less room for potentially revisiting the characters vs. the catharsis that comes with seeing that they turned out alright, Schur made the correct choice. If I win the lottery, though, I do plan on funding the production of another season :)

Edited by kennyab

(the other sour note is April, who again, the meanness was a couple of shades too far. She never did anything to really deserve the adulation she got from everyone else)

She's always going to resent Ann because of Andy but she's nice to Ann's son and daughter, so she's not like Snape or something who takes it out on the kids of the person she hates.

She helped Donna set up the Teach Yo Self foundation.

I think it even might have been after she had the baby too.

That, exactly. This show has only two sour notes for me, and the treatment of Garry is by far the primary one. It was always a few shades too mean to be funny, and his personal payoff never made up for the blind spot they had. There were a few times he legitimately, really contributed (like, say, when Ben and Leslie couldn't have actually gotten married without him), and even then he got nothing but grief from them

Watching the P&R marathon made me remember the one really perfect Jerry gag from the second "Ron and Tammy" episode. Ron gets back with Tammy 2 and everybody knows it's a TERRIBLE idea and stages an intervention but Jerry thinks it's a shower and is happy for him. Later in the library where Ron is with Tammy and their having a bridal shower with Tammy's co-workers and Tom rushes into tell him that Tammy is just messing with him, he sees Jerry there eating cake and goes "Dammit Jerry!". That's when the "Dammit Jerry" was actually warranted and you agreed with the characters for once. It was because Jerry both being so nice but clueless.

Edited by VCRTracking

I had a total WTF moment when the gang was at the park to fix the swing.  It's the same park where I go to walk my dog! I was totally taken out of the show- I rewound the scene and was all "... that looks right - except for the chain swing"  (they switched the kind of swings that are there)  Now, I'm kinda bummed I missed going by the park when they were shooting. Dammit Jerry!

Anyhow, the show was fantastic! My single favorite thing, amongst ALL the great things, was Leslie pushing Ben out of the way to hug Ann! Because - - - Ann!  Talk about the bestest BFFs.

• Love 5

Very sweet finale -- cured me of my How I Met Your Mother finale-induced fear of time jumps. Major props to whoever called this show "sweetly subversive" -- that's an utterly perfect description.

I loved the Parks finale a lot, but shoot, Mad About You did time jumps (and did them right) in their series finale.  Don't blame time jumps for HIMYM's terrible close. =)

• Love 1

This is going to bug me, last season when Tom was dating the doctor what ever happen to her? Did they break up?

Nadia went off to Rwanda for Doctors Without Borders and they left it saying maybe they'd call each other when she got back. I'm a huge Tatiana Maslany fan so I'd have preferred Tom to end up with her rather than Lucy but she's busy shooting Orphan Black so I don't know if the writers ever even considered bringing her back. And I'd much rather have another season of Orphan Black than a nice wrap up to her and Tom's relationship.

• Love 1

Why does April and Andy have kids?

I asked this because April said she didn't want kids before. So it kinda bums me that the characters think to end character arc is for two characters to have kids? Blah...

I kinda wished they characters happy without kids.

I wouldn't mind it so much if April didn't show she was interested in kid before. But then again people do change there minds with age... I don't know...I have mixed feelings about the whole thing

Nadia went off to Rwanda for Doctors Without Borders and they left it saying maybe they'd call each other when she got back. I'm a huge Tatiana Maslany fan so I'd have preferred Tom to end up with her rather than Lucy but she's busy shooting Orphan Black so I don't know if the writers ever even considered bringing her back. And I'd much rather have another season of Orphan Black than a nice wrap up to her and Tom's relationship.

Yeah I feel that way to, it felt more natural if they ended up together. Like I really forgot about Lucy character when she return and her storyline.

Edited by JellyFishQueen
  • Love 3

I guess you could say the nearly pointless role of Pawnee Mayor gave him the opportunity to shine, but it always seemed that his long term goal was to retire to be with Gale.

I thought that too after - my first thought was how great of an ending he had, but then went "Wait, but he never got to Muncie..." 

• Love 3

That, exactly. This show has only two sour notes for me, and the treatment of Garry is by far the primary one. It was always a few shades too mean to be funny, and his personal payoff never made up for the blind spot they had. There were a few times he legitimately, really contributed (like, say, when Ben and Leslie couldn't have actually gotten married without him), and even then he got nothing but grief from them.

(the other sour note is April, who again, the meanness was a couple of shades too far. She never did anything to really deserve the adulation she got from everyone else) 

Yeah.  Those two things (and maybe Andy being OTT dumb) makes me feel a lot of ambivalence toward this series that I would otherwise adore.

• Love 2

I've never seen "Orphan Black"(I know, I KNOW, it's on the list!), but I liked Tatiana Maslany a lot and thought Nadia and Tom had a nice spark.

That said, I've always thought Lucy being Tom's OTP pairing made total sense.  Remember her showing up at the End of the World party back in season 4?

• Love 1

Why does April and Andy have kids?

I asked this because April said she didn't want kids before. So it kinda bums me that the characters think to end character arc is for two characters to have kids? Blah...

I kinda wished they characters happy without kids.

I wouldn't mind it so much if April didn't show she was interested in kid before. But then again people do change there minds with age... I don't know...I have mixed feelings about the whole thing

There are a lot of things that April has expressed disinterest in before and then come around (such as caring about anything). I think that's it not as much that she disliked the thought of kids as she was insecure about having kids. That makes sense, as she's generally just a really insecure person. If she were with anyone else, I don't think she'd go for it, but Andy's her rock. As much as she and Andy have taken care of Leslie and Ben's kids, I think it's fair to say that she actually likes (some) kids.

And it's not that the show is making a statement that having kids is necessary. Neither Donna nor Tom ended up with children (at least the best we can tell), and they don't seem to have any regrets about it. But I think it makes plenty of sense for Andy and April.

Edited by kennyab

And it's not that the show is making a statement that having kids are necessary. Neither Donna nor Tom ended up with children (at least the best we can tell), and they don't seem to have any regrets about it. But I think it makes plenty of sense for Andy and April.

Agreed.  Andy and April having a kid is also something Aubrey Plaza suggested a bunch of times so I'm not surprised they went there and I liked the way they handled it.

And, of course, there was the poster child for the awesomeness of not having children, Jennifer Barkley:

2015-02-11-parks-and-recreation2.gif

Speaking of kids, that scene of Ben and Leslie bracing themselves and then calling the triplets to eat with the triplets racing in and chattering away...that made me smile. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 8

These haven't been mentioned, but I liked them.

Ann's face when Ben was explaining parts of his new game to her. When he's talking, you think she's into it, but when the camera gets to her she's just gone blank.

And I'm sure Leslie turned out to the POTUS, because of the "I'm ready" at the end. That's what Jed Bartlett said to Leo when he was ready to become the nominee (at the end of In the Shadow of Two Gunmen). It's the kind of thing Leslie (who you know had to be a giant WW fan) would use as a marking point for her future.  

All of that said, I'll be the only guy in America to say anything remotely negative about it. It was nice, but felt -- especially because there has been nothing resembling a plot since "Leslie and Ron" -- sterile. Everyone has a happy ending -- no angst -- no drama -- no storyline -- that's all okay. But there's been nothing to care about for half the season, and the finale was just more of the same. 

It was a very nice show and a very nice episode, but I think on rewetting, it will be astounding to see just how little there was to this last season. Just a bunch of nice people being nice and having nice things happen to them. It's a nice life, but it's not much of a story. I'd have had less problem if that hadn't been the case for the last month, but since it was, that's how I felt. 

I also thought the callback to Buddy was way too soon. Had Leslie and Ron happened in the first season, it would have been sweet with him paddle the canoe. But this soon it just looked like they loved the song and wanted it in again. 

• Love 2

I loved the Parks finale a lot, but shoot, Mad About You did time jumps (and did them right) in their series finale.  Don't blame time jumps for HIMYM's terrible close. =)

True, a bunch of series finales have done time jumps. 

How I met your mother's was just the worst.  HIMYM though had more problems in the finale and whole last season though than just the time jumps.  Whole last season was a mess. 

The Six Feet Under ending montage though is still the best of them all, even better than this one, IMO. 

Wow......I had completely forgotten about that character and totally missed the fact that was Tatiana. 

I like Lucy and Tom though.  They make a great couple. 

I loved the finale, but I have to make a complaint about something. I was slightly annoyed by the implication that a happy ending for every character demands that you end up married to someone and having kids. Can there really be no such thing as a happy single person? Tom would have been the likely candidate for that, but no, he HAD to end up married to Lucy, just so that at least he's married. Even Ann and Chris were married in their reappearance.

And I didn't like that April and Andy had kids. If April didn't want to have kids, she shouldn't have had to change her mind. It would have been a nice statement to make that not all women have to have children (I know there was Jen Barkely, but you can't tell me that wasn't portrayed as because of her self-involved nature).

And if they HAD to have kids, wouldn't it be more likely that they end up adopting? The way that April wanted to save Champion for example, I could buy that she would change her mind if she sees that rescuing a child from a life without parents would be the more noble thing (especially because of her disdain for the idea bringing a child into the world). That to me would have been the way more obvious solution to the kids thing, especially because no one else on the show had adopted.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 4

That to me would have been the way more obvious solution to the kids thing, especially because no one else on the show had adopted.

While not exactly the same, there is Ron being a stepfather to Diane's daughters.  The way he spoke glowingly about the one (Ivy?) being accepted to college made it clear he sees them as his children just as much as John [REDACTED] Swanson.

• Love 1

I just thought that would have made more sense for April's character- to change her mind about having kids through the idea of giving a child a home who doesn't have one. In fact, I totally thought that was how they were going to solve that issue, because it just seemed logical for her.

• Love 1

Watching the producer's cut:

Oh my gosh, the Shawna Mulway-Tweep bit was AMAZING. They know their characters so well. 

I also really liked the deleted scene with Tom and Ron - it set up the "Tom becomes a writer" thing and made it make sense, rather than being out of nowhere. But was that supposed to be the same cabin of Ron's? The shot of outside looked totally different. Although, he did say once he had three or four of them, right? 

In the extra bit from the Very Good Building company, Ron called one brother Vaughn, but then the accountant called the other one Vaughn? 

On rewatch I saw that there was a sign outside of the city hall for signups for the Harvest Festival. It's still going on in 2025! :) 

I also caught Andy saying that Jack's head was extremely large, just like his old man, and then remembered the conversation between Andy and Ron about how big his head was.  Nice callback.

Oh man. That look on Adam Scott's face, the instant that Ben made his decision to not run. That was some damn fine acting. Just that one look should get him an Emmy. Proud, and happy, but indulging in just a fleeting moment of sadness for himself. Sheesh. I noticed the look he gave Leslie after he announced it and thought that was great, but the little one right before, when he decided what to do, that was heart-wrenching in all the right ways.

I cried at the end again. Barely made it through the final lines of the show, but then when they said "series wrap" in the credits, lost it. I'm so going to miss this show.

• Love 3

And if they HAD to have kids, wouldn't it be more likely that they end up adopting? The way that April wanted to save Champion for example, I could buy that she would change her mind if she sees that rescuing a child from a life without parents would be the more noble thing (especially because of her disdain for the idea bringing a child into the world). That to me would have been the way more obvious solution to the kids thing, especially because no one else on the show had adopted.

I agree. I think adopting a slightly older kid would have made a lot of sense for them, because I think April and Andy really love kids, not babies. But Aubrey had mentioned wanting to be pregnant on the show. 

However, it seems Tom and Lucy, and Donna and Joe, never had kids, so not everyone ended up as parents. 

I just watched the Producer's Cut and agree that Shawna's bit was great. I didn't quite get Jamm's. Was it a callback to something? Anyway, I liked a lot of the bits that were cut out. 

A couple of other things that I liked that I don't think were mentioned:

- The way Tom laughed when Garry told the guy on the phone that Leslie and Tom were his best friends.

- The 21-stamp salute from the notaries onto Garry's coffin.

- Leslie's final line of her speech: "Now go find your team and get to work."

Also, when Ben and Leslie were at the Biden's, Ben is looking around and says that it's such a nice house, and Leslie responds that he says that every time they visit. That made me wonder if Joe Biden was President, and this was the White House, like upstairs in the private quarters.

• Love 1

And I didn't like that April and Andy had kids. If April didn't want to have kids, she shouldn't have had to change her mind. It would have been a nice statement to make that not all women have to have children (I know there was Jen Barkely, but you can't tell me that wasn't portrayed as because of her self-involved nature).

Andy did want kids though so they couldn't both get what they wanted. And Ben gave up the opportunity to run for governor so Leslie could, so it's not like the women can't get their way.

• Love 1

The future stuff was iffy. Some was silly, but enjoyable(like Leslie playing charades with the Bidens) and some heartwarming. 

Most shows you wouldn't want silly, but I kinda think this show demands it.

• Love 2

And I think it was Ben who was President -- he was wearing a flag pin on his lapel.

Except he was (already) wearing the exact same flag pin on his lapel in the scene where he and Leslie are in Pawnee discussing who should run for Governor.

Just did a rewatch two things I didn't register the first time in the Donna flash forward April is clearly pregnant which though before April/Andy's f2f is appropriate for the timeline and why Leslie was the first female city council person when Counciman Morris is signing Mayor Gergich for his millionth term all the other council members are women.

• Love 1

I just watched the Producer's Cut and agree that Shawna's bit was great. I didn't quite get Jamm's. Was it a callback to something? Anyway, I liked a lot of the bits that were cut out.

I can't quite remember the episode, but Leslie (and I think Chris or maybe Ron) go to Jamm's house to persuade him to do something, and he is in a kimono and is a really awful fan of Japanese culture (he eats the pods of edamame, rather than the beans, culturally insensitive, etc.).  At least that's what I took away from his flash forward.

ETA: biakbiak is on point :)  April and Andy decide to have kids somewhere after 10/31/22 and have one by 10/31/23 (or maybe 11/1...heehee) and April visits Donna in 2023, probably pregnant, and still working at the jobs foundation.  She probably still was working there with the kids.  I never had a problem with April.  She reminds me a lot of a girl was friends with in college: super goth, super sarcastic, but turned out to be a still super goth, super sarcastic small business owner and great mother once she got into her 30s.

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 1

Leslie: "I can't wait to fix that swing, so we can get your little butt right into it." *Adam Scott reaction shot*  I think I will miss these things the most. Leslie's obsession with Ben's butt and AS's face, particularly when it is reacting to things. 

Loved Typhoon basically just wore down Craig.

Kyle and Ethel in the same scene! I would have loved to see Ethel's future. Undoubtedly, it would have been steamy. 

I was kind of annoyed at first with the Andy/April have kids route, but I can live with it. Loved April explaining the makeup and Saperstein's response of "whatever blows your skirt up." 

Aww, I'm glad there is a Ron advising Tom scene in the extended version. I agree that it was a better lead in to Tom writing his book. 

Just noticed Garry's "Kiss me, I'm Pop pop" shirt in the 100th birthday scene. This is made so much more amazing by the make out ses between Aubrey and Jim posted above. 

Bobby and Shauna are perfect. 

Leslie and Ron holding hands on the swings hurts my whole heart. Really showed how much he's grown that he came Leslie at a personal crossroads. I also loved the callback to "Buddy."

Ron putting duct tape on his uniform so as not to advertise his government work. Awesome. 

I loved that Leslie freaked Chris out about that health watch. And Anne and Leslie trying to get the kids together. 

Didn't really loose it, but I loved the finale and I'm going to miss this wonderful little show!

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 2

Just did a rewatch two things I didn't register the first time in the Donna flash forward April is clearly pregnant which though before April/Andy's f2f is appropriate for the timeline and why Leslie was the first female city council person when Counciman Morris is signing Mayor Gergich for his millionth term all the other council members are women.

Pawnee's first female city councilor was Paula Horke (seen in "Women in Garbage").

I can't quite remember the episode, but Leslie (and I think Chris or maybe Ron) go to Jamm's house to persuade him to do something, and he is in a kimono and is a really awful fan of Japanese culture (he eats the pods of edamame, rather than the beans, culturally insensitive, etc.).  At least that's what I took away from his flash forward.

He loves Chinese crap: Lucy Liu, Nintendo, Gangnam Style, sushi, et cetera, et cetera.

• Love 1