Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Bridemaids and Babies

Am I the only one who find the idea of serving ice cream, outdoors, in November to be a little... peculiar? From what I've seen on the show Jessa is going for Cheapest Wedding Possible which, fair enough, but why ice cream? If she wanted something sweet to go with the classy hot dogs couldn't she have picked something that wouldn't give her guests hypothermia?

Because she doesn't like cake and she likes ice cream.  So they're having ice cream.  I don't really see an issue with that.  November might not be that cold down there either (I don't really know....).

I thought Jana and Joy acted like brats about the dresses. Just wear the damn things!!! I guess I'm very Jessa-like.

If I had a sister and she wanted me to wear an ugly dress I would for sure tell her it's ugly lol

Unless she was like really dramatic and psycho and might kill herself over that comment then I would maybe not..... 

• Love 1

What no Keck! We must have keck! No seriously, I don't care if Jessa has cake or not. I just came to say I live in PA which is probably much colder than Arkansas in November and I have definitely eaten ice cream outside before. November is not gonna stop me from getting ice cream.

• Love 3

Usually cool but not cold in Arkansas in November.  I would think normally cool enough that an outside reception is on the thoughtless side.  Ice cream for over 1000 is something I want to see and probably want to see more of how it's handled than TLC will show.  

I thought Jana's reaction was very normal.  I didn't see a fit or tantrum.  I saw someone very uncomfortable being forced to parade for the camera in a dress that looked close to the hideous side as she first put it on.  She was embarrassed and they should have tried the dresses on privately first before the crew got there.  She was probably also the one who was going to have to alter the wretched things and probably had visions of altering these dresses as being ten times worse than the ones for Jill.  I thought it looked quite a bit better after they told her to pull up the bodice and that they could be hemmed.  It also looked like Jana possibly had the wrong size dress initially.  Jill could certainly have used a different size and style dress by the time the wedding got there.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2

I thought Jessa was paying for all the dresses? And Jill payed for her bridesmaids dresses also (as well as the extra one they used to make the others more modest) if I recall correctly. Or at least Boob payed... From the way things are playing out on the show it looks to me that each got a sum of money from Jim Bob to use for the wedding and Jill spent most of hers ON the wedding, while Jessa is trying to get away with using as little as possible and spend the rest of the money on her Paris honeymoon (or save it maybe if TLC payed for the honeymoon).

Edited by Vaysh

I thought Jessa was paying for all the dresses? And Jill payed for her bridesmaids dresses also (as well as the extra one they used to make the others more modest) if I recall correctly. Or at least Boob payed... From the way things are playing out on the show it looks to me that each got a sum of money to use for the wedding and Jill spent most of hers ON the wedding, while Jessa is trying to get away with using as little as possible on the actual wedding and spend the rest of the money on her Paris honeymoon (or save it maybe if TLC payed for the honeymoon).

and still Jessa's appears, at least in photos more tasteful.

Just wondering...Jessa Mom and Dad were married at Cross Church, had their vow renewal there and Jill had her wedding there.  She knew it could hold over 1,000, there was an inside venue in case of rain, a partially covered area and a big yard.  Why didn't she just have her wedding there, maybe an FU Mom and Jilly?

• Love 3

So are we to assume that JimBob gave her X amount under the TLC umbrella for the wedding/honeymoon because otherwise it's hard to keep from rolling eyes that they NEEDED to stick with the $50 dresses. Yes, that's super cheap for a bridesmaid dress, but does anyone really think the bridesmaids were paying?

Regardless I think that for a family that is based on frugality, they pay $20,000 for a wedding. Unless they do the whole "buy used and save the difference" stick so the can splurge on the weddings.

I like Jessa's mindset of the dresses will only be worn once and the wedding is only one day so you shouldn't spend your life savings on it.

Flyingdi, I'm in PA also (suffering from this winter atm) and if someone is offering ice cream I'll eat it year round, same with hot chocolate.

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever seen Jana as animated as when she was expressing dislike over the coral dress. I wonder if she was hoping to send them back, so she wouldn't have to do alterations.

Exactly!  We got to see another side of Jana, for sure.  Maybe because the camera was not directly in front of her; shows you that we do not see the 'real' Duggars while the cameras are rolling.  

Geez, the midwife's house looked so dumpy on the outside- seemed ok inside, though.  Other than the show of animation from Jana, this episode was a real snooze.  

I felt sorry for Jana when they were saying, "just take some gathers out of the skirt! and the top!" You cannot take out gathers without taking the whole thing apart and redoing it. That may have been part of why she was so annoyed with the dress choice.

I didn't think the bridesmaids dresses were that bad. I thought they looked better than Jill's bridesmaids dresses, & didn't need that godawful panel sewn in on the bottom.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 1
Just wondering...Jessa Mom and Dad were married at Cross Church, had their vow renewal there and Jill had her wedding there.  She knew it could hold over 1,000, there was an inside venue in case of rain, a partially covered area and a big yard.  Why didn't she just have her wedding there, maybe an FU Mom and Jilly?

Was the church they chose at least a little closer to where the Seewalds live? Maybe they factored that in?  That is one (more) thing I like about Jessa.  She doesn't let the Duggar side completely bulldoze over the Seewalds. 

I don't think the church they picked was really any closer to Hot Springs.  Perhaps Jessa didn't want the same church or maybe it was already booked for the date she wanted.  Perhaps Cross Church didn't want any more Duggars or TLC didn't want to show the same venue.

Another time glitch. If they booked the church in June, they would have met with the coordinators then, not 2 months beforehand. The reason I know that the scene there was a setup (IF they did book in June) lies with Sierra Dominguez. You may recall that she was largely pregnant at Jill's wedding. In June. She had the baby in early September. Ergo, this was filmed sometime in September, most likely; I doubt it was any later than that. 

Thanks for yet another scripted, fake scenario, TLC! 

I hate to be contrary, but I have assisted and substituted for the wedding coordinator at our church and the wedding date can be booked and then the actual planning meeting with the coordinator occur weeks to months later.  It isn't uncommon at least for us for six weeks or more to go by before we all sit down.  That isn't to say that Jessa's wasn't a recreation as they were on a shorter time frame than most our brides.  We have some bookings a year in advance and occasionally not hear from the bride for three months.  

• Love 1

Colored lights in a church? Soooooo tacky IMO. I'm an atheist now, but very glad I grew up attending beautiful churches with stained glass windows etc. And I've never been in a church without pews. Stadium seating seems like a joke.

• Love 1

I don't think that Jana acted like a brat. The dress is pretty damn ugly and unflattering. My cousin got married last year and she went above and beyond to make sure us bridesmaids wore dresses we liked. It was a very appreciated gesture. I've been in many weddings and I hate when I am told to wear a dress that is 1) unflattering and 2) hideous. Not only was the dress length awkward on Jana, but so was the ruching (spelling?) around the bust and waist.

Same here...the last wedding I was in, my cousin made it pretty stress free for all the bridesmaids. She basically said that the dresses didn't have to match completely, just that they all had to be the same color. So my dress ended up being a nice turquoise sundress from the Target rack which I plan to reuse once it finally gets to be above 60 where I live. Regarding the dresses Jessa picked, not only was the length not flattering, but it was completely wrong for Jana and Joy's body types. I can see why Jinger liked it, because her frame is small enough that it looks good, but with Jana and Joy being on the curvier side, that dress did not flatter them at all.

I thought the Duggar girls looked better in the coral dresses than some of the other bridesmaids.

I was in Kohl's the other day and saw similarly designed dresses.  It seems to be a popular current style.