Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Bridemaids and Babies

I liked the preview of Bin sketching Jessa's ring. We've heard him sing, we're seeing him draw ... maybe he has a creative side? That might make him suck less.

The old chapel was kind of cool. But I hope Jinger occasionally is able to take photos that don't involve her siblings and their fiances. Does she take the wedding pictures, too?

• Love 1

-First of all, the previews for next week's show makes me ill. I am a police department volunteer, and the thought of JB doing a ride along with JD gives me nightmares. JD, imo, is not a true representative of hard working, professional, caring law enforcement personnel who are willing to put their life on the line to protect lives and property. I cannot understand how he keeps getting elected constable. Plus the fact, a volunteer part-time constable would not be able to take a person on a ride along. I feel sorry for the people he is suppose to be serving. I also hate to think of the training he receive. Alert camp will not cut it in a real life and death situation. I am also sure JB will be making an ass of himself in next week's episode.

-Jill will be in the primary position instead of assisting in a birth. I want to make a few comments about this, but I will not.

-Hate to burst Derick's bubble. Okay, I do, but Jill is not a midwife. She was training to become one.

-Thanks for reminding us about the rules about physical closeness. Why not write a pamphlet and hand them out to the heathen masses instead of bringing them up constantly. We got it the first time.

-Watching and listening to Ben talk is scary.

-Why do I have the feeling we are going to have the same type of wedding preparation episodes Jill had last season with Jessa.

-I do not feel special, awesome, joyful or going though a new season of life after watching this episode.

-Jill will be in the primary position instead of assisting in a birth. I want to make a few comments about this, but I will not.

I guess I'm a terrible person but the thought of Jill being on the receiving end of her ''training'' makes me a bit too happy.

-I do not feel special, awesome, joyful or going though a new season of life after watching this episode.

LOL!

• Love 2

I swear far less controlling parents make and own decisions at their kids' weddings. I find it a little strange that Michelle says every decision in the wedding is Jessa's and/or Ben's decision. Maybe she's just used to telling viewers her kids make all their own decisions.

Cake at the wedding goes back along way to Roman times, although I also like ice cream.

I'm surprised it takes so long to become a midwife. (Jill said she was studying four years and not done yet.) One of my fundie-lite friends wants to be a doula, maybe over a midwife because it takes less time.

Derrick has never heard a heartbeat in utero before. Has he never seen any movie or show where a character is pregnant before? For that matter has he never seen this show before?

I liked the church and the park. Jessa and Jinger seem genuinely close. 

The girls seemed the most real they've seemed in a while while arguing over the dresses. It amused me that the Duggars who used to wear ankle length skirts now think these dresses were too long.  Fortunately "their seamstress" seems willing to alter the dresses. 

The promos  for next week don't look too promising. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

Subtle focus on that health license at the midwife's office, TLC.

I had to pause my television during Joy and Hannie's talking head segment.  Hannie is just a shrunken down version of Joy.  

I actually liked the scene with the bridesmaids dresses.  They seemed like normal sisters there.  Joy: "I don't like the little sashy thing coming down the middle."  Jessa:  "Then CUT EM OFF!"  At this point, homegirl doesn't care if they even wear dresses.  Just get this thing done.

• Love 10

In Jill-speak, I found this episode (shout with me) LIKE, TOTALLY SURREAL!!!!!111 

I guess they had to show Mrs. Joy's diploma after the establishing shot of the shack that she works in. That thing looked like it would cave in at any second. Yikes! 

Regarding her birth plan, I hope they are close to a hospital; at the rate she's growing, Baby Dilly is going to require a c-section. 

• Love 3

I wonder what it's like to be an adult in your 20s and still be living the exact same life that did when you were 10, except for driving? All of these Duggar kids fall into this category. The only change they can look forward to is marriage. The boys still work and do jobs for their father, with only a slightly longer leash around their necks.

I, actually think, a tea length dress, does look elegant contrary to what Joy thinks. There IS a point in which a dress is too long as it is neither ankle length OR tea length. Those short dresses at or above the knee is too "summer looking" for a November wedding. Bad enough the material Jessa chose for those dresses is for summer.

It was enjoyable to watch those church ladies reaction to that silly Duggar sized wedding and a "parking lot" reception? They had some common sense in reminding them about a November wedding just isn't celebrated out doors in Arkansas...too cold, too large, etc. I wonder if the Duggars realize how silly they came across?

Jinger, like her female siblings, sadly is only allowed to dabble in her interest, photography and take photos for family and like minded friends only. She will never be more than she is now, except for becoming a sperm receptacle for her husband righteously fulfilling desires and a resulting brood mare.

• Love 7

I actually liked the scene with the bridesmaids dresses.  They seemed like normal sisters there.  Joy: "I don't like the little sashy thing coming down the middle."  Jessa:  "Then CUT EM OFF!"  At this point, homegirl doesn't care if they even wear dresses.  Just get this thing done.

They did seem like normal sisters bitching about clothes. I did like Jessa's attitude regarding the dresses too. It was like she did not care how they altered them. If they wanted new dresses they can send all of them back and find ones that they all liked. I think the dresses are fine. I do not love them, nor do I hate them. I thought they looked fine on the girls, except for some of the length on the skirt. I think Jinger's dress fell where it looked good for Duggar style.

I have a hard time watching Jill and Derrick. They are so nauseatingly sweet, it makes me want to vomit. Then again, I am probably more bitchy like Jessa.

I liked how they flashed to the health license while scanning the Birth shack. Debbie (is that her name?) Query is a student midwife? Didn't see that coming. I know it was Jill's choice about who she wanted to be her midwife & she did explain how she knew the lady, but I still think it was a small slap in the face to Venessa. I guess Venessa's stardom is over with TLC & Jill. After all, Jill studied under her & she was a "wedding planner" for them. I felt like yelling at the TV when Derick kept saying Jill being a midwife.

I did like Jana speaking up about the dresses & I figured too it was because she knew she would have to do any alterations.

Did anyone else catch Jessa's line about having siblings with skills helping with wedding prep? She said photographer, seamstress & "graphic designer", which meant Josh since he was doing the invitations. I almost choked on my soda. Since when did he become a graphic designer? Maybe he has a double degree with law & graphic design too. Who knew? I am no way a computer person, but isn't it easy to design an invitation, a postcard type at that, with a picture nowadays? Jessa made it sound like it needed some real skill & they were sooo lucky to have Joshie do them.

When they were visiting the church & discussing the amount of people in the fellowship hall, the first thing I thought was fire code. Luckily the church ladies brought it up because I don't think the Duggars even realized there was such a thing.

I, too, liked the engagement pictures at the old church, especially the one with the cross in the background (in the railing, IIRC). I didn't like all the emphasis about Hannie saying she was a chaperone & had to make sure Benessa followed the rules. These kids are truly brainwashed. Why didn't they say Hannie & Joy just went along to watch & help Jinger if necessary? Maybe it made her feel important to be considered a chaperone like the older kids are.

Subtle focus on that health license at the midwife's office, TLC.

Total F.U. Internet Critic moment, I caught it too. I guess when your "office" looks like a cabin off the set of Deliverance it helps to let the viewers know you are in fact a certified midwife. 

I actually felt bad for Jessa when the sisters were bitching about the dresses. She tried to find something that was cheap and wouldn't require a ton of alterations and she seemed a little hurt when they were tearing them down. If I was Jana I would have kept my mouth shut lest she spend another two months slaving away like an eight year-old in a Vietnamese sweatshop. FWIW, I thought the dresses were okay, not totally dreadful, but not particularly flattering either.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

Who knew? I am no way a computer person, but isn't it easy to design an invitation, a postcard type at that, with a picture nowadays? Jessa made it sound like it needed some real skill & they were sooo lucky to have Joshie do them.

It is super easy to do a postcard invite. Just go onto any photo buying website like Shutterfly, upload photos, arrange them to your liking, and order. They do not need a faux graphic designer at all. Though, I am always surprised the Duggars just do not send an Evite.

I actually like that Jessa went with ice cream instead of cake. I have been to weddings with sundae bars, specialty doughnuts, ice cream food trucks, and other desserts in place of cake. I am not too traditional, so I am always all for something a bit different at a wedding.

Total F.U. Internet Critic moment, I caught it too. I guess when your "office" looks like a cabin off the set of Deliverance it helps to let the viewers know you are in fact a certified midwife. 

THAT'S the movie title I was trying to think of last night when they drove up to the, um, birthing center.

I have been to weddings with sundae bars, specialty doughnuts, ice cream food trucks, and other desserts in place of cake.

How does the sundae bar work? Is it set up like different flavors of ice cream and you scoop or someone else scoops? Did it take a long time to scoop up for everyone at the wedding or is it already scooped? I've never been to a wedding with an sundae bar.

I did feel bad for Jessa having her sisters complaining about the bridesmaids dresses.

Did anyone else catch Jessa's line about having siblings with skills helping with wedding prep? She said photographer, seamstress & "graphic designer", which meant Josh since he was doing the invitations. I almost choked on my soda. Since when did he become a graphic designer? Maybe he has a double degree with law & graphic design too. Who knew? I am no way a computer person, but isn't it easy to design an invitation, a postcard type at that, with a picture nowadays? Jessa made it sound like it needed some real skill & they were sooo lucky to have Joshie do them.

This is the Duggar way, not to mention proof that Boob is a politician through-and-through. They BS everything in order to elevate it, to make it sound more than it really is. Because the unvarnished truth about them is so completely feeble. They've stated that Jill is a midwife, that Jana is a concert pianist. A while back Josh was touted as being a "political consultant" because he had a do-nothing website at one point. They've probably claimed that JD works in "law enforcement" and that Jinger is an "artist." Next up? Derrick is currently providing business advice and consulting for the WalMart corporation...

• Love 4

How does the sundae bar work? Is it set up like different flavors of ice cream and you scoop or someone else scoops? Did it take a long time to scoop up for everyone at the wedding or is it already scooped? I've never been to a wedding with an sundae bar.

I did feel bad for Jessa having her sisters complaining about the bridesmaids dresses.

I don't know how they ended up doing for Jessa's wedding, but when I've been to events with ice cream/sundae bars, there were servers to scoop the ice cream. There were servers for some toppings, too. I know one bar had a ladle for the cholcoate syrup so guests were allowed to do that on their own. As cheap as this family is, I doubt Jessa had anything beyond self-service stations with tubs of ice cream.

This is the Duggar way, not to mention proof that Boob is a politician through-and-through. They BS everything in order to elevate it, to make it sound more than it really is. Because the unvarnished truth about them is so completely feeble. They've stated that Jill is a midwife, that Jana is a concert pianist. A while back Josh was touted as being a "political consultant" because he had a do-nothing website at one point. They've probably claimed that JD works in "law enforcement" and that Jinger is an "artist." Next up? Derrick is currently providing business advice and consulting for the WalMart corporation...

And that everything is so transparently untrue and ridiculously inflated is one of the many reasons JimBob is a failed politician.

• Love 2

John David is a Constable. He is in law enforcement. Jinger is a photographer. That's an artist.

Does Derrick chew tobacco?  When they arrived at the shack, he rubbed his lower lip and then threw something away.  It's the first time I've seen anything hinting at that, but it was a total classic chewer move.

Also, you could tell Derrick is not comfortable wiht the birthing shack.

• Love 1

I have been to weddings that had both self serve and servers. Also, one where servers scooped the ice cream, but you could put your own toppings on. I went to a wedding in Vermont and they had Ben and Jerry's cater the ice cream.  Most of them were basically go make your sundae whenever you felt like dessert, so it wasn't done all at once. People just wandered up when they felt like dessert. 

I too am interested to see how Jessa is going to pull off ice cream for a thousand. You would have to have multiple stations set up in order to avoid complete chaos. I'm also hoping she has servers scooping the ice cream. I still have nightmares after seeing those photos of kids helping themselves to the dessert trays with bare hands at Jill's wedding.

John David is a Constable. He is in law enforcement. Jinger is a photographer. That's an artist.

Please... John David may be a constable, but he is not "in law enforcement." If he is, then I'm "in the medical field" because I recently cleaned and bandaged my nephew's scraped knee. To equate what he does to what a trained officer in most US city police forces does these days is to insult those individuals. Many if not most police are now required to have at least a bachelor's degree before they begin their police training. With his "education" it's completely possible that John David may not be capable of passing the Arkansas GED.

• Love 9

Please... John David may be a constable, but he is not "in law enforcement." If he is, then I'm "in the medical field" because I recently cleaned and bandaged my nephew's scraped knee. To equate what he does to what a trained officer in most US city police forces does these days is to insult those individuals. Many if not most police are now required to have at least a bachelor's degree before they begin their police training. With his "education" it's completely possible that John David may not be capable of passing the Arkansas GED.

Not caring for John David doesn't take away from the definition of who/what a Constable is.

"The constable is one of the oldest forms of law enforcement, dating back to the Roman Empire, possibly earlier.

As most everyone knows, our government consists of three branches, the executive, legislative, and the judicial. Each of these branches are separate and individual and each has its responsibility to the people of the county.

A constable in Arkansas is, by the State Constitution, an officer of the township in the county in which he/she has been elected. Other executive officers are the State Treasurer, the Secretary of State, the County Sheriff, the County Coroner, and all State Militia officers.

The constable has the broad and primary responsibility of seeing that the laws of the County, State, and Country are faithfully executed."

Read More Here

• Love 1

As a graphic designer I want to say NO, it's not that easy..... but *sigh....* yes there are far too many programs out that make it incredibly easy..... lol 

But we do see in the previews for next week that they do not like what Josh first shows them.  I feel like I need to see Jills again because I don't think I knew Josh did those and I can't remember if I liked them or not. 

-First of all, the previews for next week's show makes me ill. I am a police department volunteer, and the thought of JB doing a ride along with JD gives me nightmares. JD, imo, is not a true representative of hard working, professional, caring law enforcement personnel who are willing to put their life on the line to protect lives and property. I cannot understand how he keeps getting elected constable. Plus the fact, a volunteer part-time constable would not be able to take a person on a ride along. I feel sorry for the people he is suppose to be serving. I also hate to think of the training he receive. Alert camp will not cut it in a real life and death situation. I am also sure JB will be making an ass of himself in next week's episode.

THANK YOU. I can't thank you enough for the above comments. My husband is a volunteer of fifteen years' duration for a local PD. He also has a limited commission. He and his colleagues ticket those who park in disabled parking places without the necessary permit. He doesn't carry a weapon. They all have police radios and call for backup by actual LEO's if there is a problem. He and whoever it is he's working with when he has a shift drive a marked vehicle, but it is CLEAR they are volunteers, and they are not allowed to bring anyone for a "ride-along".

The volunteers for the PD undergo a huge amount of training. They are background checked, fingerprinted, etcetera. They have several more trainings every year they serve as well. What exact qualifications does JD have to portray himself as the "constable", besides getting himself elected to it?

Damn right JD's "ALERT training" will not help anyone in a dangerous situation, and I strongly question how he is able to carry a weapon as well and whether or not he's actually a sworn officer. In other words, it seems like the Duggars are trolling for possible courtships, aren't they? He's a PILOT/POLICE OFFICER! It's James Bond in mom jeans and a receding hairline! Woooo, ladies, the line forms on the left!

I'd also be curious to know how Jim Boob can brag they purchased an actual police cruiser with signage/markings to park in their yard -- I can't see how this would be legal.

• Love 5

Hannie is too young to be a chaperone.  Why should she have that responsibility?!  The only thing good about it, it gets her out of the house.

So the dresses needed to be SHORTENED?!  Joy explaining how when it hits mid-calf it makes your leg look short.  Has this been a problem of their's?  I thought their goal was to show as little leg (and other body parts) as possible.

I hope Ben was just joking about not liking the invite, I actually thought they were pretty cute.

Based on firsthand reports from the wedding, I believe the answer is "badly."

Lol, what did you hear? I haven't come across any eyewitness accounts that I could find.

Does Derrick chew tobacco?  When they arrived at the shack, he rubbed his lower lip and then threw something away.  It's the first time I've seen anything hinting at that, but it was a total classic chewer move.

Also, you could tell Derrick is not comfortable wiht the birthing shack.

There’s a clip up on People of Derick’s and Jill’s midwife appointment which includes this scene. Link- http://www.people.com/article/jill-dillard-derick-dillard-hear-baby-heartbeat-sneak-peek

My verdict - definitely not chew tobacco. I think it was just a piece of gum or candy. Notice Jill as she’s getting out of the car because she too pulls something out from her mouth. The Duggars have a strict no alcohol policy which I’m sure also extends to smoking/chew tobacco. Derick’s not going to get caught on camera doing something stupid that his in-laws will disapprove of. He strikes me as a guy who wants to live a pretty clean, godly lifestyle so I don’t think Jill or her family have anything to worry about.

Edited by Mariva
  • Love 1

THANK YOU. I can't thank you enough for the above comments. My husband is a volunteer of fifteen years' duration for a local PD. He also has a limited commission. He and his colleagues ticket those who park in disabled parking places without the necessary permit. He doesn't carry a weapon. They all have police radios and call for backup by actual LEO's if there is a problem. He and whoever it is he's working with when he has a shift drive a marked vehicle, but it is CLEAR they are volunteers, and they are not allowed to bring anyone for a "ride-along".

The volunteers for the PD undergo a huge amount of training. They are background checked, fingerprinted, etcetera. They have several more trainings every year they serve as well. What exact qualifications does JD have to portray himself as the "constable", besides getting himself elected to it?

Damn right JD's "ALERT training" will not help anyone in a dangerous situation, and I strongly question how he is able to carry a weapon as well and whether or not he's actually a sworn officer. In other words, it seems like the Duggars are trolling for possible courtships, aren't they? He's a PILOT/POLICE OFFICER! It's James Bond in mom jeans and a receding hairline! Woooo, ladies, the line forms on the left!

I'd also be curious to know how Jim Boob can brag they purchased an actual police cruiser with signage/markings to park in their yard -- I can't see how this would be legal.

JD was sworn in inside a gas station/quickie mart. I kid you not. He also ran unopposed because no one else wanted that position. I doubt it pays very much.

• Love 3

I hope Ben was just joking about not liking the invite, I actually thought they were pretty cute.

Lol, what did you hear? I haven't come across any eyewitness accounts that I could find.

Crap, you know what? I was totally thinking of the root beer float fiasco from Jill's wedding. But feel free to pass on my sketchy comment comment as gospel, LOL.

I agree with barbedwire that it's odd for them to be discussing shortening the dresses. Should godly young women be thinking about what their legs will look like to the wedding guests?

Edited by Portia

Missy Vixen - I'm still laughing at your line "James Bond in mom jeans and a receding hairline" in referring to John Doofus. You got it right.

I remember him being sworn in at a Gas station mini Mart. Wonder if they sold alcohol. Lol.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who find the idea of serving ice cream, outdoors, in November to be a little... peculiar? From what I've seen on the show Jessa is going for Cheapest Wedding Possible which, fair enough, but why ice cream? If she wanted something sweet to go with the classy hot dogs couldn't she have picked something that wouldn't give her guests hypothermia?

If nothing else the hot dog and ice cream reception gives me something to look forward to viewing.  For the last wedding reception in our family we rented the main floor of the top rated restaurant in La Jolla for lunch. :)  I'll enjoy the comparison in my mind.  

• Love 3

I think shortening the dresses would be a total waste of time and IIRC that stretchy, knit material is very difficult to work with in alterations. The girls are only going to be in them for two to three hours max, so it makes more sense to just suck it up and wear them as is. I did think the dress looked much better on Jinger than it did on Jana.

• Love 1

I agree with barbedwire that it's odd for them to be discussing shortening the dresses. Should godly young women be thinking about what their legs will look like to the wedding guests?

Yes, they do, if they want to be brides themselves anytime soon.

Seems absurd to me to make a woman's life all about marriage and babies and a beautiful ~countenance~ and, seems to me, about being pleasing to men in every single way possible, and then pretend like they shouldn't be worried about making sure their legs don't look stumpy. They should be worried about having pretty hair, pretty legs, pretty everything, so that one day soon they'll get a pretty wedding and pretty children just like they're (supposedly) supposed to do.

That's why I find it somewhat refreshing to see Jessa's obvious physical vanity. That woman is very "get er done." I almost see her as a funhouse mirror version of the Reese Witherspoon character in Election. Except that imo Jessa is actually a bit more jaded than Tracy Flick.

Am I the only one who find the idea of serving ice cream, outdoors, in November to be a little... peculiar? From what I've seen on the show Jessa is going for Cheapest Wedding Possible which, fair enough, but why ice cream? If she wanted something sweet to go with the classy hot dogs couldn't she have picked something that wouldn't give her guests hypothermia?

I think she was so desperate to get laid, I mean married, and out of the house, she just stuck to the first thing to come to mind. Ice cream! Mail order dresses! Reuse Jill's decorations! Whatever, I'm cut, dried, and horny!

Ice cream like this would work, with a minimum of hassle, and is at the Duggar's level of class. http://thesugardiva.com/images/large/Ice-Cream-Cups-Set-2-Lg.jpg

• Love 1

I was glad to see Jana speak up about the dresses- she only spent a day wearing it, but it was going to be on tv and in magazines.  One of Ben's sisters wore her dress unaltered and it did look awkward. Jana did have a mini-fit and Jessa handled it better than many brides would. It was a little unfair to the bridesmaids because their dresses were online. If they could have tried it on in person, they may have been vetoed. At least Jana could alter them. 

Does anyone know if Jessa or Ben had ties to the Bentonville Church? It seemed like they had just met the coordinators and chose it because it could handle 1k+ people.

I don't think that Jana acted like a brat. The dress is pretty damn ugly and unflattering. My cousin got married last year and she went above and beyond to make sure us bridesmaids wore dresses we liked. It was a very appreciated gesture. I've been in many weddings and I hate when I am told to wear a dress that is 1) unflattering and 2) hideous. Not only was the dress length awkward on Jana, but so was the ruching (spelling?) around the bust and waist.

• Love 1

I can see both sides of the coin on the dresses. Yeah, they were ugly, but it would have been impossible to get ten girls to agree on a style of dress. I think Jessa was trying to avoid drama by picking something that a) wouldn't need excessive modesty alterations and b) was cheap enough for her bridesmaids to afford. A fifty dollar dress is never going to look like Vera Wang no matter how much you nip and tuck it.

• Love 1