Type keyword(s) to search

S23: Derek Hough

• Start Topic

Maybe he's not that golden after all. Last night Jeopardy had Ice Dancing as a category, with Meryl Davis and Charlie White reading the clues. The contestants recognized waltzing, Torvill and Dean, Scheherazade, and even twizzles. The only question that stumped them all - "Who is Derek Hough?" Heh. You know you're in trouble when you're more obscure than ice dancers.

• Love 9

Maybe he's not that golden after all. Last night Jeopardy had Ice Dancing as a category, with Meryl Davis and Charlie White reading the clues. The contestants recognized waltzing, Torvill and Dean, Scheherazade, and even twizzles. The only question that stumped them all - "Who is Derek Hough?" Heh. You know you're in trouble when you're more obscure than ice dancers.

I happened to watch Jeopardy last night and can't denied I laughed when they didn't get the clue (especially when they showed a picture) and I went - while Derek's head just shrunk a little

• Love 3
(edited)

There was a clue about famous siblings a few weeks ago and someone did get The Houghs as the correct answer.

eta: Curious, are all Pros getting a new thread every season? Just wondering because there already was a Derek thread, so I was surprised a new one was started.

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

Derek is the only one to get a new thread though, everyone else's rolled over from their old threads. Likely because of his late announcement. Not that it matters either way to me.

But speaking of late pro announcements, looks like Keo needs a new S20 thread too. Or his S19 thread rolled over. Whicheva.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1
Oh, Derek.  How can we miss you when you won't go away?

Yeah, no shit.  I was SO looking forward to a season without him. 

And Derek gets the young, limber, graceful Olympic champion gymnast as a partner? I. Am. Just. So. Shocked. 

Sibling on the judging panel, ringer as a partner. Just another season on Dancing with Derek. Here's your ticket to the semi's (at least), Golden Boy. As usual. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

I just feel that in order to have a freshness to the show...or a different energy among the pros...it would have been nice to see what that looked like without Derek there.  I went to the DWTS Live tour and it was very cool how throughout the show each pro had a one-on-one moment with the audience by themselves.  I liked the dynamic of all the pro's in the show and felt like I got to know each of them a bit better by the end of it as well.

My feeling that some pro's need to leave (or take a season break) to change the energy of the show is not exclusive to Derek. I might be the only one, but I don't mind the dynamic of the show now that Mak's is gone.  People were tuning in to see what Maks was going to do...and it became less about his partners.  I thought his choreo was starting to get stale (I'd seen it all before by this point).  I feel the same about Derek.  

Last season felt like his partnership was all about Derek and less about Bethanny.  The focus of the his partnerships tends to focus on him.  I don't see that as something Derek is doing though...it's more the producers.  They can't seem to help themselves.  To be completely honest just based on his partner I think I can predict "the script" the producers will use to narrate Season 20 for Derek.  It's like they pull out the same "story" and I'm watching some past season with Derek but just a new partner.  

As someone who was hoping the producers understood that the show needs to keep evolving....I'm frustrated that they keep going back to the same story line.  But I'm not irrate over the situation...just bored.  Choreo-wise I thought Derek's dances with Bethanny were getting stale.  She did some great dances but I'm not rushing out to re-watch much of what he did last season.  I think it will be a totally different story with Nastia just based on her ability.

But we're stuck with Derek....probably for forever....no matter what he or the producers ever say.

• Love 2

Did anyone catch the interview that Derek gave on Access Hollywood where he talks about having another partner that the producers were working on getting for him this season but that didn't work out and that's when they approached Nastia. It sounds like then that Derek was interested in coming back even earlier on - that it wasn't purely a last minute thing. That's sort of interesting-- wonder who the other celeb might have been?

Derek admitted he and the producers had been thinking of a way to get him on the season for awhile because he really wanted to be a part of the show's 20th season. He mentioned in an interview that discussions first started with him throwing out maybe choreographing a Pro performance or two during the season and then it went from there into if there was a way that he could compete and still do the Radio Music show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Derek's Manager: 
"Look, this Spring Spectacular offer is a really good career move for you. Harvey Weinstein is a powerful guy in Hollywood, working his show is smart. They are going to be promoting the bajeezus out of this thing. It gets you in front of a new audience, you get to sing, dance, and act, and will get you more inroads to any other Broadway work you might like to do. But I can see how this might be a hard decision for you, it's on the opposite side of the country. Dancing With the Stars clearly means something to you, and this is a milestone season. You seem to really enjoy doing the show, and you seem to really like and care about the people that put it together. It seems unlikely, but maybe there's a way we can work something out. Until we do you'll probably have to say you can't compete."

Derek:

"Ugh, whatever. I don't care about any of that. (leans forward maniacally) 

Will that piss off the most people on the internet? That is how I base all my career decisions."

• Love 4

lol, kitcloudkicker. Yeah you just know Derek sits at home thinking of the many ways to infuriate DWTS online posters. Joking aside, I think I may be frustrated with Derek this season. I get that he doesn't want to pass up any of the opportunities and wanted to do the season if it was doable but this just seems like it will be pretty chaotic.

I saw GMA's preview for tonight's premiere and I'm not sure when it was filmed, I'm thinking maybe yesterday, and Nastia was doing camera blocking with Henry because Derek hadn't gotten into LA. Nastia was joking about it and saying that hopefully there is no flight drama but if there is, then she'll just dance with Henry. And while she was light-hearted about it, I just thought that I hope this doesn't end being the storyline this season.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I admit, I wish Derek had just stayed quiet instead of saying he was definitely out and then - surprise, just kidding - he's back and with another great partner. I had (foolishly) gotten my hopes up between his absence and Rob Wade's comments about reaching out to former pros that we might see a pro who hasn't been on in awhile or someone like Sasha get another chance (he'd be so good with the gymnast!). I felt like Derek was phoning it in a bit last season with Bethany and I know he's terrific, but it seems that both DWTS and Radio City require some serious commitment so while I'm sure he and Nastia will bang out some great routines because they're both good, it doesn't seem quite fair when another pro could have devoted their time more to just DWTS.

I fully admit I'd also be okay seeing Tony or Mark or some other long-timer take a season off, as well (even though I like them), to just change things up a bit.

I guess I have trouble seeing that as a calculated plan to "lie" about his plans though - from my perspective he's seemed pretty open about being bummed about missing out on the season and actively trying to find ways to be involved "in some way." And until they could deliver him a contestant that wanted to work in New York around his schedule him actually coming back seemed pretty unlikely, so it doesn't really bother me that the announcement went down that way.

On the other hand, I could buy criticisms that coming back for this season is kind of selfish, if it turns out he's not able to commit enough to his partner. And I do like Henry, so it's a bummer if he ends up picking up a lot of slack when he could be the actual partner, I wouldn't have minded seeing that pairing.

However, it is my gut that doing the New York show and being exposed to new choreography and a new environment is going to freshen up his creativity on the choreography end. Because I do see the creative rut he seemed to be in with Bethany, and he seems like a guy who thrives creatively on having new inputs to chew through. But while he seems to have inhuman levels of energy, I am wondering if he'll have the time, energy, and brainspace to actually make use of that.

• Love 1

It bugs the stew out of me that he can pick and choose a partner, or take his marbles and go home.  Yes, the man has earned his status.  I don't hasta like it.  I am guessing that the wear and tear will lead to a significant injury this year.  I am NOT hoping for such.  But, dude has some serious mileage and he is no Spring chicken no more.

• Love 1

Derek did say in at least two separate interviews that he couldn't imagine not being a part of this special season. He said he ? they? were hoping he could participate. I don't have the interviews but I remember specifically wondering, based on those statements, if he might do a promotion for NYSS on the show. Quite a few fans threw out possible scenarios of what he might do--e.g. Come back for one show and dance with his MBT partners, etc.

I don't think he deliberately lied about it. According to both Rob Wade and Derek, he was very torn about not being on, simply because it is a significant anniversary show. There are benefits to every party concerned such as free cross-promotion for NYSS and DWTS. It's not unreasonable to think the show was as equally enthusiastic, if not moreso, than Derek himself. Whether we agree or not, TPTB obviously believe he makes a significant contribution. Their bottom line is always the same: whatever brings in viewers and therefore advertisers.

If you consider how hard it will be to perform in 10 physically grueling shows per week (sometimes 13), rehearse 4 hours a day with Nastia, travel on a red eye flight Sunday night, dance on Monday, fly back Monday night and perform one (sometimes 2) shows on Tuesday. . .it's hard to imagine how it can even be done without an injury or total physical collapse.

I think he loves the show and genuinely didn't want to miss out on it. Whether it was a foolish decision or not, time will tell.

• Love 3

Don't forget something else - he's started rehearsing with Julianne for their Move Live tour this summer. I really am fascinated to see him pull this off. I saw a few minutes of his and Nastia's rehearsal and while the dancing was great and he looked excited and into it,  I also thought he seemed a bit hyper at points like he's hopped up on too much caffeine or something. And there were definitely some circles under his eyes. I really think this might be insane but I'm excited to see what he and Nastia deliver tonight.

I'm fascinated how Derek can be involved in multiple major commitments cross-country (and internationally) and keep it all together. He thrives on it. I feel quite the slacker compared to those types. If I was a DWTS contestant, I'd only be devoted to the show during my run, no split focus on other projects...because I'd be a well-off celeb who could do that, haha. And I'd want to win. :)

I'd be interested to see how Derek would work with some of the, shall we say, less capable people who've graced the DWTS floor.

Can't sleep or eat, I'm so upset that Derek is back. 

Is that about right? 

Only, not. Derek entertains me, I always enjoy his routines. How could he say no to Season 20? And after watching his practice video with Nastia, I'm even more impressed. Fun to watch someone choreographing and teaching at the same time. With his time constraints he had to have someone that learns quickly. And by golly, a one horse race would not be that much fun to watch for an entire season.

If you've seen any of the team practices, everyone defers to Derek right away. Including Team Itsy Bitsy last year. Val, Artem, and Emma were the other pros. If he weren't on the cast I think they'd have to bring him in for choreography.

So yay, Derek is back! 

• Love 2

I sure hope when he is performing at Radio City, he gives the audience their monies worth. Tickets are ridiculously expensive there and it is not fair to those in attendance to see a 100% Derek. As to DWTS, I am out this season. I have had enough of Derek In/Derek Out stuff since this is the second time this was pulled on us.In case you can't tell, I truly dislike ths guy.

The only 2 times I honestly believe Derek was planning on being out was season 16 and this one. 

He mentioned that after All Stars he planned on going on a break and that once he heard he might be paired with Kellie, he wanted in. With this season, I don't think season 20 entered his mind until he had heard they might have had a NY based partner for him and adding that it was the anniversary season he wanted to do it.

Any other "will or or won't he" speculation in any other season was just that; speculation.

• Love 1

A Derek fan on the ABC message boards said Sutton Foster is the celebrity who was supposed to be Derek's partner but backed out at the last minute. I can't remember what she said about her information source but she's very well-informed on all things "DWTS".

Sutton Foster is a two-time Tony award winning Broadway actress, singer and dancer. She won Tonys for her lead roles in Thouroughly Modern Millie (2002) and Anything Goes (2011). She has done some television work for ABC and is starring in a new sitcom that premiers March 31.

After reading her Wikipedia write-up, I'm glad she backed out because the Derek hate would have ratcheted up several levels. In my opinion, she would have been the most accomplished "star" ever to appear on DWTS apart from the geriatric contestants who won Oscars and walked on the moon. . .decades ago. She's 40 and going strong.

A Derek fan on the ABC message boards said Sutton Foster is the celebrity who was supposed to be Derek's partner but backed out at the last minute. I can't remember what she said about her information source but she's very well-informed on all things "DWTS".

Sutton Foster is a two-time Tony award winning Broadway actress, singer and dancer. She won Tonys for her lead roles in Thouroughly Modern Millie (2002) and Anything Goes (2011). She has done some television work for ABC and is starring in a new sitcom that premiers March 31.

After reading her Wikipedia write-up, I'm glad she backed out because the Derek hate would have ratcheted up several levels. In my opinion, she would have been the most accomplished "star" ever to appear on DWTS apart from the geriatric contestants who won Oscars and walked on the moon. . .decades ago. She's 40 and going strong.

Very interesting!!! I wonder why it didn't work out. Did she back out? Even though it would have been beyond unfair I would have loved watching her learn the various dances. She's all kinds of awesome. Did anyone see the short-lived show she was in... Bunheads? She was all sorts of fabulous in it. She played a retired dancer.

Edited by missysays
  • Love 1

Augh! I love Sutton Foster! What a bummer she backed out. But I wouldn't have wanted to see her with Derek. Though his choreo style meshes best with her Broadway work. Would he have been tall enough?

Yes, Bunheads fan. Now watching her on Younger.

Argh, I'm so bummed!

Others, however, are not so impressed by Hough’s double shifts. A source close to the Radio City production told The Post that some cast members are dismayed by Hough and others’ “part-time nature.”

“The performers, the in-house producers and stage hands are working very hard to make this show work, but those in charge are frequently absent,” says the insider, citing the fact that co-creative director Diane Paulus is simultaneously directing Harvey Weinstein’s “Finding Neverland,” while Carlyle is choreographing Roundabout Theatre Company’s “On the 20th Century.”

Another Broadway veteran, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, believes that getting 6,000 butts in 6,000 seats is the biggest challenge, especially with so many other new musicals opening at the same time on Broadway.

“When Cirque du Soleil brought its Zarkana show to Radio City in June 2012, it underperformed,” he says. “Now they’re trying to sell the same number of tickets at a time of year when the audience isn’t really guaranteed.

“There is a big question mark as to whether the market will bear or allow something of the scale of a Rockettes’ Spectacular,” the source notes. “They’re trying to do something new with the Radio City/Rockettes brand and it’s always tricky to get the new thing right.”

Carlyle sums up the show’s mission: “It’s important that the [Rockettes] survive and the show succeeds. It’s important that this building survives. It’s part of American history,” the director explains. “There is nowhere else in the world where you can see what we’re doing. It’s something you can’t see on Broadway or in Las Vegas . . . There is nowhere you can see 36 incredible, athletic women dance like this and see 70 feet of rain onstage. What we’re creating here is so utterly special, especially for this theater.”

And Hough, who has witnessed a lot in his nearly three decades, agrees.

“The dancing, the numbers, the visuals, the 30-piece orchestra, it’s got a lot of heart,” he says. “It’s more theatrical, magical and whimsical than anything I’ve ever seen before.”

Derek’s ‘Dancing’ wins

Modal Trigger

Hough is partnered with Nastia Liukin for the 10th anniversary celebrity cast of “Dancing with the Stars”

Photo: Getty Images

Season 7: Hough took his first Mirrorball trophy in 2008, dancing with actress Brooke Burke.

Season 10: Pairing with singer Nicole Scherzinger, formerly of the Pussycat Dolls, proved a winning partnership in spring 2010.

Season 11: In the fall of 2010, 50-year-old actress Jennifer Grey became the oldest female celeb to win — and her record still stands.

Season 16: Country singer Kellie Pickler coupled with Hough in the spring of 2013 to take the championship.

Season 17: For the fall 2013 season, “Glee” star Amber Riley helped deliver Hough’s latest successful claim on the Mirrorball.

I read an article posted here about Derek and his Broadway show.

Seems that he is not the only person associated with the Broadway show that has their hand in other fires. Just FYI from the article.

ETA-  The costume of the Rockette's- in the pics of this article-   seem similar to the one created specifically for them by a "project Runway"  contestant.  I could be wrong but I don't think so.

The article I quoted from another poster

http://nypost.com/2015/03/21/can-derek-hough-save-the-rockettes/

Edited by trubellcurve

From the episode thread:

With regards Derek, my biggest problem is that when asked about an upcoming season, most of the other pros will publicly state that they would love to do the show and "if the show wants me back, I will be." This also used to be Derek's line. Now it's "I wanted to come back so the show moved heaven and earth to make it happen for me." It's completely disrespectful to his fellow pros and gives the impression that he really does think he's bigger than the show.

I guess that's one way to interpret his comments because what I've heard Derek say is that he really wanted to be a part of the show this season and was sad he couldn't because it is such a milestone season (10th year on television and 20th season) and the show has been so good to him. So he worked with the producers to figure out if there was any way he could do it. That didn't sound like thinking he's bigger than the show but again, I guess we all interpret things differently.

• Love 1

Augh! I love Sutton Foster! What a bummer she backed out. But I wouldn't have wanted to see her with Derek. Though his choreo style meshes best with her Broadway work. Would he have been tall enough?

Yes, Bunheads fan. Now watching her on Younger.

Argh, I'm so bummed!

She's in a new show?!!! Must check it out.

As for her height, she's 5'9 and Derek's 5'10 so they would have probably needed to do some choreographic adjustments but she's such a strong dancer that they would have been able to do more side-by-side steps to mask their near sameness in height and she would have been able to conform and know to bend her knees etc to make sure their lines looked good together. Sigh.

I think the one challenge that Derek will have with Nastia this season is helping her with the performance side of things.

ETA: the way Derek is prepping Nastia is kind of amazing watching her rehearsing with Henry via video and then sending her text messages!!! I hope Henry's getting a little pay increase this season bc he's basically doing the troupe parts and then being a Derek stand-in. Whew!

Edited by missysays

I know that Nastia doesn't need much, if any, handholding through this process but even still this whole scenario is a bit much. There has never been a similar situation where the "star" has to adjust their schedule to the schedule of the pro. Nastia knew what she was getting into when she signed on so I am sure she knew what to expect and being based in NY for part of the week is clearly important for her as well.  But it does still seem like she is missing out on a bit of the overall process having to do her final practices with Henry while her partner jets into LA in the early hours of show day. Last week she left for LA on Friday and this week she was out of NY by Saturday as well, stopping in Las Vegas on the way. Derek has shows Wednesday through Sunday so they are not spending all that much time together in general. One of my favorite parts of this show is always watching the partnerships grow as the star and pro move through the season together and I wonder what their journey as a partnership will end up being. 

And hopefully someone buys Henry a nice thank you gift for all of his help. 

• Love 4

Nastia posted an exchange this past weekend between Nastia and Derek and between Henry and Derek via texting. Both N and H video their weekend rehearsals and send them to Derek. He watches and sends back critiques via text message to them.

I've tried several times to copy the photos of their messages to each other but for some reason can't get them to paste here. It was interesting to read their comments. I'll keep trying to get copy/paste to work for anyone who wants it.

This week Derek has 2 shows a day at Radio City on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday, 3 shows on Saturday and 2 shows on Sunday. I ready somewhere else that he and Nastia don't practice much on Tuesday anyway because she has class (my understanding is that he actually stayed in LA a day longer this week because he had meetings about his Move Tour on Tuesday). I realize that the shows themselves are only 90 minutes long but I imagine he must get to the theater a bit in advance and be there a bit afterwards as well - he is not showing up at 1:55 pm for a 2:00 show and walking out of there immediately at 3:35 when it is over. Where are they even squeezing practice in during a week like this? Aside from finding the actual time, isn't he exhausted? If he and Nastia manage to win this thing, I imagine him falling over in exhaustion when Tom hands them the mirrorball.

They practice inside of Radio City Music Hall, so I'm guessing early morning and between shows. He said in an interview that they are just extremely focused during the time they have, unlike when they are at the LA studios where the dancers tend to dick around a lot. I'd argue that the goofing off time might actually help their chemistry, but judging by the dances they've done so far, on the dance part they don't seem to be hurting from lack of practice. (With all props to Henry too.)

How he doesn't just collapse I have no idea. I would be stress-crying all the time.

Derek's blog for how the A. Tango is going is below. Interesting read. I thought the music (Variations on Dark Eyes) really fit the vibe for the A. Tango so I was surprised that he was saying it wasn't a perfect fit?  Also not surprised that fatigue is setting in based on their schedule. I thought he was insane to try to do both...but pre-season he kept saying that he thrived on being super busy and juggling things. I was like, "Dude you are nuts."

Seriously though I'm not super worried. I think this is one of Derek's favorite dance styles and I don't imagine him not creating something good..especially with Nastia's skill/flexibility.  I can imagine this being a really cool routine w/ interesting lifts etc.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-derek-hough-blog-week3/

He must be tired because he mentioned their rumba being great which was Week 2. They had samba this past Monday. I said at the start of this madness that I'm just waiting for the day he passes out from exhaustion.

I'm a little surprised too he's saying the music is a problem because when I heard it I thought it could not have sounded more perfect for an AT. But I guess as a Pro who knows how to count the beats and timing, he knows what he's talking about. It's very fitting though for Nastia for Memorable Week.

He must be tired because he mentioned their rumba being great which was Week 2. They had samba this past Monday. I said at the start of this madness that I'm just waiting for the day he passes out from exhaustion.

I'm a little surprised too he's saying the music is a problem because when I heard it I thought it could not have sounded more perfect for an AT. But I guess as a Pro who knows how to count the beats and timing, he knows what he's talking about. It's very fitting though for Nastia for Memorable Week.

Yeah I was wondering why he was talking about the Rumba when they just did a samba?

In my mind the song sounds like A. Tango music to a tee.  There are plenty of dramatic pauses for effect or lifts.  But then again I can't count music and have no idea if that is the problem.  

If anyone knows what the counts/beats are supposed to be for an A. Tango and can let me know if that song fits I'd love to enlightened. 

It's very fitting though for Nastia for Memorable Week.

Agreed.  This was the music for her floor routine at the Olympics.

The problem might be that "Dark Eyes" is essentially a waltz. I definitely do not possess particular expertise on Argentine tango and its time signatures, but it does seem that it's generally going to be set to something with an even signature of 2/4, 4/8, or 4/4, so that might be enough to create some challenges.

But as a fan of ice dance, too, there were a few competitive programs a few years ago which controversially incorporated waltz and tango together -- something I actually enjoyed quite a lot on a totally non-purist level -- so I'm interested to see how this challenge is resolved! The piece absolutely has a great tango sound, so I hope they get it worked out well enough. 

I checked out the song Dark Eyes on YouTube and found a few different versions. One (I assume the original arrangement) is sung by a Russian choir and is in 3/4 or possibly 6/8 time. Another is a jazzy version with an extra beat per measure, changed from 3/4 to 4/4. The third is this crazy-fast guitarist who plays each set of three notes as a single triplet while the background instruments play a 2/4 rhythm behind him. So the song can be made into a proper AT beat, but they're probably going with the original 3/4 arrangement. Definitely tricky to choreograph to. I'll be looking forward to see how this one turns out. 

To be fair to Derek, he doesn't say that Mark changed the concept, he says the rest of the team did. So it's more like he's throwing everybody not named Nastia and Derek under the bus. (-; Mark just explained to a very pushy and rude Derek stan that they all made that decision and that Kym, Sharna and him are working hard on it. Apparently production didn't want the original concept. (OT: But boy, being a celeb on SM must be so tiresome. I wouldn't have the patience for it.)

And well, Derek's not around. If the rest of the team notices that something's not working, they can't rely on him to fix it. They have to do it themselves and then Derek has to adapt to it. And that situation is on Derek. He said that he could do two full-time jobs at once, now he has to deal with the consequences.

Oh, and to be clear: I was joking. I don't think there was anything wrong with what Derek wrote. (Though it is perhaps worded in an unfortunate way.)  Agree that the atmosphere in some fan corners is super heated and unpleasant. And predictably some reactions to what he's written are OTT. But that's not on him.

Edited by katha

You know what I think - some people on both sides need to stop taking any little thing someone says and spinning it into an agenda they like based on their feelings for said Pro. So the Derek stans need to not rush and declare Mark and company awful for changing a routine that likely wasn't working because I cannot see Mark, Sharna and Kym risking jeopardizing their celebrity's score by completely reworking something that was fine. Clearly, something about it wasn't working.

That being said, the people who do not like Derek (which why are you even reading his blog to begin with) need to stop reading some "attempt to pass blame, his being passive aggressive, his acting like he's better than the show" and all else in a simple statement. These blogs are supposed to be, (at least I think so, I admit I don't read them regularly), a window into Derek's process with whoever his celebrity is for that season.

So this is what happened this week - he wasn't there for the team dance. I don't get that he was blaming anyone or feeling sorry for himself or acting like people should sympathize with him. It was merely a "I wish I could be there but I'm not and we'll figure it out."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I didn't really see it as throwing anyone under the bus. He sounds like he is trying very hard (and only partly succeeding) in not complaining about how hard his schedule/two jobs on two coasts really is. It must be hard not to say it.  Just going to and from LAX twice a week would make me nuts.

I also thought he was very honest in realizing that when there's a team dance, his schedule makes things harder on others, too.

In all seriousness, it sucks that we can't be there to rehearse with everyone the whole week and bounce ideas off each other. I really wanna be involved, but it's hard doing it all over the phone and video. We definitely don't want our absence to be a liability. But I trust them to come up with something good and I trust us to learn it.

I think mostly he's just trying to build extra interest/suspense for the Monday show.

Possibly. I know Derek has had blogs where he's talked about hitting a wall creatively during the week for a dance and then Monday comes and he and his celebrity does fine. Although I know last season with Bethany, when he mentioned hitting a wall with their Samba, it was part of their package that Monday and at the end I didn't love the choreography of that dance. So he was definitely being honest about that. 

Again, the blogs are supposed to be a sort of behind the scenes of what's happening. Like I said, I don't believe Derek is trying to get sympathy, because sympathy for what - he's doing what he loves, competing on the show with a more than capable celebrity, while performing at Radio City Music Hall - like there is nothing to feel sorry for him about. But he's likely just stating the facts, that it's challenging.

• Love 2

Based on what Mark said on twitter, it seems the "they" Derek is referring to isn't Mark, Kym and Sharna, but the producers. The producers didn't like their concept so forced the team's hand.

Based on what Mark said on twitter, it seems the "they" Derek is referring to isn't Mark, Kym and Sharna, but the producers. The producers didn't like their concept so forced the team's hand.

Yikes, I just saw his Twitter exchange. People are rough. LOL 

You know what I think - some people on both sides need to stop taking any little thing someone says and spinning it into an agenda they like based on their feelings for said Pro. 

So much this! Dancing with the Stars fans are cray! I can't think of anything else that's so very silly and fluffy that inspires so much crazy wars and knashing of teeth. (Maybe One Direction? People seem to go mad over them too. Can't we just calm down and let the sparkly people entertain us?) 

I have no insider knowledge on this, but I'd always assumed that these tv guide type entertainment "blogs" are done via interview - an intern/low paid staffer will talk to a celebrity for 10-15 mins, and transcribe it to look like they wrote it. That's not a slam or accusation on Derek, I think that's how a lot of these things get done? Derek, I have noticed, is not the most careful or linear speaker. (Or writer, if he did write it.) I reeeally wouldn't read too much into the details of how he phrases things. (Is that going to stop people? Nyoope.) 

• Love 3